Biggest frustrations in being vegetarians - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 129Likes

#91 Old 01-14-2016, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashalicious View Post
I'm glad we got everything sorted out, and I apologize again for the miscommunication on my part.

I have, however, had very expensive grocery bills this week. Is that normal when adjusting to veg? I have hardly purchased any meat, but have been loading up on veggies, dips, yoghurt, granola, spices, coconut milk, SUPPLEMENTS! I am hoping this is just because of the initial diet change, and everything balances out....I used to make super simple meals with some form of protein (chicken, fish, ect) and side it with a salad or veggies, and I'm having to think of more creative things now, which is fine, but my grocery bill was almost 100 dollars more than usual. I'm assuming this is because I had to purchase some staple items, spices, supplements, ect.
I barely use any supplements as a vegan. I take a calcium supplement and a vegan D supplement and only because I have a medical condition of diagnosed osteoporosis (acquired long before becoming vegan) and am on a medication that requires my blood calcium to be on the higher end of healthy since it pulls calcium from my blood and puts it in my bones. Once in a while I take a vegan DHA but I buy maybe two bottles per year if that. I have a cheap bottle of B complex with B12 that lasts me over three months.

For carbs, what about brown rice? Or whole wheat couscous? Or steel cut oats? Those are all very cheap (especially bought in bulk), filling, and stabilize blood sugar. Whole grains like brown rice have important B vitamins and help with protein intake as well (one serving has about six grams of protein...throw in some beans or tofu and some broccoli or kale and a sauce and the protein really adds up). Dips can be made at home with beans or tofu and a few simple additions like minced garlic, vinegars, vegetable broth, canned or jarred tomato paste.

I suspect as you gain more experience in plant based cooking, you will spend less. Sometimes it takes time to build up common plant based staples and you spend a little more on those at first. I always keep several types of vinegar on hand, and canned coconut milk, and seeds like raw sunflower or sesame seeds, stuff I didn't keep on hand when I was an omnivore. Even my spices have changed but they last a while. The less processed and the more from scratch, the cheaper as well.

You might be interested in looking at some plant based soups since they are mostly made up of beans and vegetables. Make a good soup, and a nice garden salad to go with it. I like to make vegan split pea soup, or white bean carrot soup, or a red lentil dahl soup. Soup is very filling and stays with you a long time.
no whey jose likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 01-15-2016, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

You can still make your simple meals of a protein and a salad or veggies-- just make your protein vegetarian, like tofu or beans. Carbs are very healthy and important, too, so try to pair your protein and veggie combo with a complex carb like whole wheat pasta or brown rice. A good formula for a meal is to start with a starchy, carby food (rice, pasta, potatoes, sweet potatoes), add a protein (beans, tofu, tempeh), then lots of vegetables. This is all pretty cheap, too.
#93 Old 01-15-2016, 02:57 PM

Like I said, I barely, if ever, eat potatoes now, so why would I start? The only time I eat rice is if I order sushi. Sometimes I eat bread, but I find I get exhausted afterwords.

I prefer to get my carbs from veggies or beans, and sometimes, quinoa. Quinoa is loaded with protein as well, and can be very filling.

I am not going to use my vegetarianism as an excuse to start eating things I normally wouldn't eat. Sure, I love pasta and potatoes, but to eat it every day would be a surefire way to find myself up a dress size or two, or six, and I'll be dammed if that is happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 01-15-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
.I suspect as you gain more experience in plant based cooking, you will spend less. Sometimes it takes time to build up common plant based staples and you spend a little more on those at first. I always keep several types of vinegar on hand, and canned coconut milk, and seeds like raw sunflower or sesame seeds, stuff I didn't keep on hand when I was an omnivore. Even my spices have changed but they last a while. The less processed and the more from scratch, the cheaper as well.

You might be interested in looking at some plant based soups since they are mostly made up of beans and vegetables. Make a good soup, and a nice garden salad to go with it. I like to make vegan split pea soup, or white bean carrot soup, or a red lentil dahl soup. Soup is very filling and stays with you a long time.
I think this is exactly why my first week was super expensive. Once those staples start to build up in my cupboards, my grocery list will be mostly veggies, eggs, milk, a little bit of meat for my husband, tofu, veggie burgers, ect. There are so many healthy menu options just from those few ingredients.

I LOVE soup, especially soup I can make in my slow cooker. The curry I made this week turned out to be amazing, so I will definitely be making another one in the near future. Have you ever made a red curry??

Also, I'd love your recipe for vegan split pea soup. That sounds delicious.
#95 Old 01-15-2016, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

I've always kept soups vegan. Don't add meat!
Split peas, veggies, whatever spices you like--I like mine with curry powder, carrots, celery, onions,potatoes, and cooked kinda thick
#96 Old 01-15-2016, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Like I said, I barely, if ever, eat potatoes now, so why would I start? The only time I eat rice is if I order sushi. Sometimes I eat bread, but I find I get exhausted afterwords.

I prefer to get my carbs from veggies or beans, and sometimes, quinoa. Quinoa is loaded with protein as well, and can be very filling.

I am not going to use my vegetarianism as an excuse to start eating things I normally wouldn't eat. Sure, I love pasta and potatoes, but to eat it every day would be a surefire way to find myself up a dress size or two, or six, and I'll be dammed if that is happening.
You did eat meat before, and that packs a good bit of calories. I understand keeping low fat, but potatoes are really good. There are tons of good noodles like buckwheat, udon, chow fun. No, not as good for you as whole grains, but definitely something I like to keep in rotation
no whey jose likes this.
#97 Old 01-15-2016, 04:54 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

Unless you replace it with a lot of full fat dairy, you are going to be eating far less calories by giving up meat. If you start getting tired or weak or fuzzy-headed, it is not the vegetarianism change. It is likely too few calories, so if this happens, log your food and see how much you are eating.

Potatoes are a very good and healthy food. Carbohydrates are the fuel of the body, not the enemy.
http://www.potatogoodness.com/nutrition/
no whey jose likes this.
#98 Old 01-15-2016, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Cumins really good in split pea soup! I used to get the whole seeds and toast them and some grated veggies in a tablespoon of oil before adding the water and chopped veggies and peas
Haven't made that in a while and now I really want it! I only have yellow split peas which just aren't the same. Different flavor
#99 Old 01-16-2016, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

I'm firmly on Team Carb! I don't believe a word of that "pasta will make you fat" business, though I also don't believe that it's bad to be fat, so I am maybe not the best one to talk. 😆
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#100 Old 01-16-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
You did eat meat before, and that packs a good bit of calories. I understand keeping low fat, but potatoes are really good. There are tons of good noodles like buckwheat, udon, chow fun. No, not as good for you as whole grains, but definitely something I like to keep in rotation
Totally agree on this. I would say it would be great to break away from the western conventions of thinking that carbs are bad, while vitamins and proteins are good.

We should be looking at our diets are a wholeness and balance of a variety of nutrients.
Purp, LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

Proudly Asian Vegan for 10 Years

Visit Our Family Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for 100% Vegan Bags.

We handcraft bags ranging from backpacks to briefcases for all men and women.
We ship worldwide too.
#101 Old 01-19-2016, 05:10 PM

Y'all were right, it was silly to think buying the same amount of meat was a good idea. I've just been buying what he needs, I haven't event needed even half as much as I used to buy, and that has been plenty.

It was a good idea in theory. No, wait, it was a very silly idea in theory!
Purp and no whey jose like this.
#102 Old 01-19-2016, 05:29 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

The biggest pain for me is "informed people" telling me how I'm going to die in 3 months if I don't eat meat. Where do you get your protein?!!!! Kale?!!! Really?!!!

I've literally read over 50 books on vegetarian / vegan diets, and the clinical results. The "experts" I run into that tell me otherwise....or tell me "real men eat beef", or something stupid like that....just gets me going.

I just started reading HOW NOT TO DIE..... another great read that these "experts" would disagree with.

Sigh.......

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#103 Old 01-20-2016, 11:13 AM
Witch of the South

Send a message via Skype™ to Loki Laufeyson
Every person assumes I am vegan. Every person assumes I can only eat salads. They don't understand that any food can be made without meat. It's very frustrating arguing with people who say I am a bad vegetarian because I don't like many vegetables.
#104 Old 01-20-2016, 11:27 AM

In my experience, the social struggle is often much greater than the self-temptation.

When i was starting out, i often get my meals early before meeting my friends, so when they eat, i will just get a drink or some snacks if there are vegan options available.

Proudly Asian Vegan for 10 Years

Visit Our Family Store:
for 100% Vegan Bags.

We handcraft bags ranging from backpacks to briefcases for all men and women.
We ship worldwide too.
#105 Old 01-21-2016, 08:28 AM

For me biggest challenge is that i need to spend more money & more importantly-its harder physically-to get all the stuff required...Normal diet is surely less complicating life.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page