Biggest frustrations in being vegetarians - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 129Likes

#31 Old 12-31-2015, 02:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Sometimes, I miss really good sandwiches. I have not found a way to do veggie sandwiches that is as satisfying.
I have found tons of ways to do veggie sandwiches. The thing for me is they tend to be "sloppier" and less portable than omnivore ones because they usually involve spreads and dips, loose vegetables and fruits and so on. I sometimes eat sandwiches while traveling or long distance day hikes and the sloppy ones are hard to handle. So I'll stick with stuff like peanut butter and banana sandwiches, or thinly sliced tempeh, vegan mayo, black pepper and lettuce. I'll have my more sloppy sandwiches like hummus and red pepper, or tempeh sauerkraut, or tofu or chickpea and vegan mayo salad sandwiches for when I eat at home.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 12-31-2015, 03:31 AM
Banned

paying more for sweets
#33 Old 12-31-2015, 03:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I have found tons of ways to do veggie sandwiches. The thing for me is they tend to be "sloppier" and less portable than omnivore ones because they usually involve spreads and dips, loose vegetables and fruits and so on. I sometimes eat sandwiches while traveling or long distance day hikes and the sloppy ones are hard to handle. So I'll stick with stuff like peanut butter and banana sandwiches, or thinly sliced tempeh, vegan mayo, black pepper and lettuce. I'll have my more sloppy sandwiches like hummus and red pepper, or tempeh sauerkraut, or tofu or chickpea and vegan mayo salad sandwiches for when I eat at home.
I hate soggy sandwiches for work, so I find using dense wholewheat rolls works better for me.

I also put my lettuce (un-chopped leaves) on the outside of the filling (touching the bread both sides) so that it makes a bit of a barrier preventing soggy bread!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 12-31-2015, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

I love vegan sammies!
Tempeh thats been simmered in some liquied smoke, maple syrup, a dash of red pepper, and enough water to make about 1/2 cup. Flip and let get golden after all is absorbed. Keeps in fridge a couple days if you eat right away. (I wouldn't know)
Saurerkraut, vegan mayo mixed with ketchup, chopped onions, pickle relish, and nooch, for thousand island dressing. Best reuben ever, esp on hearty rye

Chickpea salads are a staple-mash and mix with--
vegan mayo, onions pickle relish Old Bay seasoning
Black salt and vegan mayo
curry powder and vegan mayo
balsamic vinegar and veggies
let marinade in the juice from jarred jalepanos, then mince some up and mix with veggies
ketchup and curry powder is nice
v mayo, good bit of nooch, sauerkraut for a quicker reuben

i like all kinds of beans with pickles, condiments, onion, peppers, lettuce

and my easiest favorite for the week is the red lentil kofta recipe i've been posting--
let
1 cup red lentils simmer in
2 cups water
for about 15 minutes. should be soft
turn off heat and add
1/2 cup bulgar (cracked wheat)
let sit
You can spice as it's cooking but I like to add as I use this for different things. It's pate like and i like it as a cold sandwich spread with all the toppings. add to broth with frozen veggies like peas mixed with grains and veggies for a cheater 'mujadarra' SP?
great with cumin, sriracha, onion pickles and v mayo and/or ketchup
or mustard

can't for blending silken (esp but reg is fine) with chopped spinach onions peppers tomatoes. add something like balsamic or italian dressing, or lemon and olive oil
no whey jose likes this.

Last edited by silva; 12-31-2015 at 07:38 AM.
#35 Old 12-31-2015, 07:59 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

One of my favorite bookmarks that I have used for ideas for years! I am a sandwich fiend, I love them all!
http://vegansoulpower.blogspot.com/2...iches.html?m=1
#36 Old 12-31-2015, 08:02 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
paying more for sweets
As time goes on, you will find more "accidently vegan" junk food that is cheap as dirt.
#37 Old 12-31-2015, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
As time goes on, you will find more "accidently vegan" junk food that is cheap as dirt.
A lot of cheap candy is vegan here: Starburst, Bournville chocolate, Fry's chocolate creams, Lindt dark chocolate, Flying Saucers...
LedBoots likes this.
#38 Old 12-31-2015, 09:22 AM

not understanding meat eaters.. god i really don't get how can they still eat dead animals, when they know about everything it causes. I just can't look at my friends and family in the same way, its so frustrating and there is no one to even talk to. how can they do this D: all the meals, them eating body parts that belonged to a living creature :'(
#39 Old 12-31-2015, 09:37 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaia.ii View Post
not understanding meat eaters.. god i really don't get how can they still eat dead animals, when they know about everything it causes. I just can't look at my friends and family in the same way, its so frustrating and there is no one to even talk to. how can they do this D: all the meals, them eating body parts that belonged to a living creature :'(
It is hard, I know. Try to think of yourself before you became a vegetarian. You weren't bad, just ignorant.

Most people are going to eat meat; your life will be much easier if you accept this and just go about your veggie ways. You influence people by your actions far more than your words, so happily eating and sharing vegan food while they tuck into a corpse is your best offense.
mackiesgirl and skinnieminnie like this.
#40 Old 12-31-2015, 09:45 AM

yeah ur right.. isn't it logical tough, once you find out, to stop doing it? (
LedBoots likes this.
#41 Old 12-31-2015, 09:55 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
yeah ur right.. isn't it logical tough, once you find out, to stop doing it? (
To you and me, yes. Many others will never change, and we can't force them.
mackiesgirl likes this.
#42 Old 12-31-2015, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
My mum only eats meat very very rarely.
#43 Old 12-31-2015, 10:21 AM

lucky you my family is all about meat for breakfast lunch and dinner
#44 Old 12-31-2015, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
One of my favorite bookmarks that I have used for ideas for years! I am a sandwich fiend, I love them all!
http://vegansoulpower.blogspot.com/2...iches.html?m=1
Someone I know is bringing veggie marshmallows over Monday (without gelatine) - yes! I can have marshmallows Monday as a vegetarian.
#45 Old 12-31-2015, 10:17 PM

I think the biggest frustration is the social aspect. Especially people saying "I love animals, I just like to eat them." (actual words from a friend)
#46 Old 01-01-2016, 04:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenxveggie View Post
I think the biggest frustration is the social aspect. Especially people saying "I love animals, I just like to eat them." (actual words from a friend)
I find that really frustrating too! If everyone had to kill their own animal and prepare and eat it all themselves, I am betting a lot less people would make such snide comments.
mackiesgirl likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#47 Old 01-01-2016, 08:03 AM

Yup, there's a reason they sell meat in styrofoam packages. Most people have never seen a butcher shop. They aren't in most supermarkets in North America at least. If most people really had to see meat like it is served even in Europe and other places they wouldn't be so keen on eating meat.
#48 Old 01-01-2016, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackiesgirl View Post
Yup, there's a reason they sell meat in styrofoam packages. Most people have never seen a butcher shop. They aren't in most supermarkets in North America at least. If most people really had to see meat like it is served even in Europe and other places they wouldn't be so keen on eating meat.
Nope. I'm in Cleveland, pretty big city, we've got very visual butcher shops everywhere. The West Side market - baby lambs and goats stripped of skin lay in glass enclosed freezers. People don't hide it from their kids- they make a point of what meat is , just not the actual process or factory farms. they want their kids to become immune and indoctrinated
#49 Old 01-02-2016, 09:21 AM

My big frustration right now is being vegetarian in a small town with a long commute to and from work, which means no Homegrown Smoker on my way home if I feel the need for some BBQ. I used to live in Portland, one of the most veg*n friendly cities in the US, and now I live in a small town about an hour away. Not such a big deal in the long run because I can make trips to Portland and hit the local tofu place, Asian grocery, etc. But the convenience factor is sorely lacking. Even the healthy burrito joint that made awesome veg*n wraps closed two months after I moved here.

This is a big first world problem frustration, I get it. But it is frustrating.

Oh, and being told "Well, good for you! I personally need to eat low carb and high protein with lots of meat, but good for you if you can handle your new diet!"

That gets old really quickly.
#50 Old 01-10-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieplanet View Post
Hi everybody. I've been vegetarian almost two years. Best decision I've ever made. I enjoy better health and have more energy. But being vegetarian can create new challenges.

So I just wonder, what’s the biggest challenge or frustration you’re having with being vegetarian/vegan?
I think the biggest challenge for me will be my meat eating husband. We have a traditional relationship in the sense that I do most of the cooking. He has made it clear that while he supports my going vegetarian, he does not want to stop eating meat. I think this is fair, as it is not my place to judge the choices other people make as far as their diets are concerned.

How I plan on approaching this problem is to focus on making vegetarian meals for both of us, and then just cooking up a side of meat that he can add to his. I won't do this with every meal (we are having veggie burgers tonight and I advised him that I will not be making him burgers with meat), but I will plan on cooking up meat for him at least three times a week. I will purchase the same amount of meat I purchased when I was eating it, and then he can take the extra for his lunch the next day or something.

I am sure there are people here who will be disgusted with my still being open to cooking meat for my husband, however I don't think it is fair to try and force my lifestyle change onto him.
#51 Old 01-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashalicious View Post
I think the biggest challenge for me will be my meat eating husband. We have a traditional relationship in the sense that I do most of the cooking. He has made it clear that while he supports my going vegetarian, he does not want to stop eating meat. I think this is fair, as it is not my place to judge the choices other people make as far as their diets are concerned.

How I plan on approaching this problem is to focus on making vegetarian meals for both of us, and then just cooking up a side of meat that he can add to his. I won't do this with every meal (we are having veggie burgers tonight and I advised him that I will not be making him burgers with meat), but I will plan on cooking up meat for him at least three times a week. I will purchase the same amount of meat I purchased when I was eating it, and then he can take the extra for his lunch the next day or something.

I am sure there are people here who will be disgusted with my still being open to cooking meat for my husband, however I don't think it is fair to try and force my lifestyle change onto him.
I don't get one thing: If it's one less person eating meat now, why purchase the same amount of meat? Is your husband going to eat enough meat for the both of you now?
Sorry if it comes across as rude. I'm genuinely curious.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#52 Old 01-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

Hi and welcome. Here's a couple of links that may give you some ideas.

http://www.kitchentreaty.com/vegetar...n-the-kitchen/

https://li.st/l/2xXIYbvRMcqWFzERaQwK8r

http://ohmyveggies.com/how-to-make-a...cipe-meatless/
Ashalicious likes this.

Last edited by LedBoots; 01-10-2016 at 06:26 PM.
#53 Old 01-10-2016, 07:13 PM

The most difficult part is definitely the social aspect. The holidays and dinner parties at peoples homes are the most difficult. I don't mind getting creative and asking for modifications at restaurants (it's their job and I'm paying), but I don't like to be difficult when I'm a guest at someone's house or inviting others over. I am still working on making delicious healthy plant based meals, but it is difficult to do that for people used to eating a lot of salt, animal and processed foods (and who are afraid to eat vegetables).

It is also hard for me to not talk too much about veganism/nutrition. As much as I could go on for hours, I know it annoys people.
#54 Old 01-10-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
I don't get one thing: If it's one less person eating meat now, why purchase the same amount of meat? Is your husband going to eat enough meat for the both of you now?
Sorry if it comes across as rude. I'm genuinely curious.
So I have leftovers for him to take for lunch the next day.
#55 Old 01-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I read that. Still doesn't make sense (to me). Did he not have meat for lunch before, and will start doing so now?
Unless he's going to eat more meat now, it really doesn't make any sense to purchase the same amount. Unless the same amount is going to last for longer, but then it wouldn't really be purchasing the same amount.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#56 Old 01-10-2016, 08:27 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiggerBoots View Post
Physically everything is better bar beyond the stretch of that term to include the physicality of picking raw foods up and putting them in my mouth - I should eat more salads and fruits but I'm improved on what I was and it's a work in progress.
Mentally I've found I've had to show conviction in some situations to resist temptation or to wait to get something to eat due to a lack of viable options. I've found that the smell of raw meat or some forms of cooking meat has become utterly sickening and repellent to smell. I find that foods really aren't as nice as your mental memory of them (there is the odd exception). On days where I have crossed back over the line I have felt like it's had a negative impact on my physical/mental well-being i.e. I had a pizza with meat on it and the next day I felt aching from head to toe like I had overdone it at work, I don't know if that's anything more than a figment of my own imagination but it's worth mentioning.
Socially, while I have changed some friends perceptions of vegans and veganism, truthfully the most negative experience has involved other vegans. If there is a high-horse for them to be sitting on you can bet they are judging your efforts, morals, ethics and knowledge as being inferior while generally being stuck up wankers and overly sensitive in a fashion that reminds you why you were totally put off by the concept of being vegetarian for years etc etc. I can honestly say there is a strong attitude of "We have a club and you must agree with what we've decided is right or you don't get in". Examples of this are when you pose a moral/ethical dilemma and the responses you get are blind dogmatic rhetoric met with cheers of mass agreement yet the answer/opinion given was simply dogmatic rhetoric. Alternatively some people think that wool is horrific bondage or that all leather items can be replaced easily (when they can't) and as such both cannot be used at all ever yet the same people and their smug self righteousness cannot provide alternatives which are affordable, available, suitable, and which in reality cause less harm to animals and us all (speaking specifically of the pollution cause by petrochemical/synthetic derived clothing) . There's loads of examples of this stuff I've faced but my personal favourite was being on the Happycow website where I was basically shunned off it's forums for having the audacity to state that I didn't agree with the popular social movement of feminism in Western countries - I laid out my reasons in a respectful and logical fashion based upon personal experience but apparently even my local dialect was offensive to feminists on there and in turn I wasn't vegan and was being shunned off the site, this worryingly I have found to be existing on here to some degree, I won't go into it but some people decide they don't like you disagreeing with them or raising controversial points and their first thought is to have your posts blocked and have you removed from the site. I fully understand why people mock vegetarians and vegans because frankly there is a lot of people that have a stick of ego-filled righteousness right up their arse and not enough people who speak and converse like Dr Michael Greger MD, Unnatural Vegan, Bite Size Vegan etc etc to counter the perception that 'all vegans are utter arseholes who need a burger to fill their empty hate-filled little lives'.

So yeah on the whole from a personal perspective I've found the experience physically and mentally positive with some challenges which have been challenging, I have faltered and I probably will again but it's been a bit of a revelation for one and I'm glad I ignored the public perception of vegetarians and vegans to actually give it a go and judge from open minded personal experience and from evidence supported information. Not even the overwhelmingly negative experience of conversing with other vegans has took the shine off it, the world is changing and veganism is very much becoming mainstream when the chef in a pub in Scotland is willing to make you an ad hoc vegan dinner and come out of the kitchen to check it's ok. The world is changing when the shops are an embarrassment of choice for vegans with ingredients and food from around the world in a town of merely 10,000 people. It's just been good and I'm glad I've tried it. I'll be at Glasgow's first ever Vegfest next month to show my support in attendance and to see just what all is on offer, maybe meet some people too - looking forward to it.
Re: being shamed off of Happy Cow for not being a feminist, first of all let me say I like Happy Cow so I'm not knocking it, but you MUST understand that pretty much ANY forum has its mainstream...I learned this on non-vegetarian forums that were mainly composed of Gen Y and slightly less Gen X members who in the vast majority were mainstream liberals, with a smaller opposing group of people who primarily seemed to be right wing libertarian MRAs, literally the sort of people who perpetuate stereotypes in Internet hells, like Reddit, 4Chan, and Tumblr. ...at first I was younger and had more mainstream beliefs myself, but as I grew and matured I started to challenge almost everyone, and a particular bone of contention on one forum was Islam. I felt like I was surrounded by the sort of upper middle class white girls who run off with a refugee they've known for two weeks, having never read the Koran, and convinced anyone who criticized Islam must be some stupid *******, the equivalent of Rush Limbaugh. ..I started to find myself creating caricatures of myself which exaggerated and vented my frustrations, which naturally eventually got me in trouble.

This is just the way of the world, you'll find, it's not just veg*ns. Anytime you get involved with people who are more politically, there will always be the echo chamber mainstream.

I honestly find it disturbing when people expect all vegans to band together or have the same exact politics, because for any, any, any ideology or change to grow to world wide proportions, division is an absolute necessity, so that different groups and types and cultures of people may embrace it.
#57 Old 01-11-2016, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Unless your husband is physically incapable of cooking his own meals, I wouldn't say you'd be "forcing" anything on him. If he wants you to be his personal chef, then he's going to have to either eat what you serve or make his own meat dishes. It's unfair of him to expect you to cook dead animals for him when he knows you have an ethical objection to it.
Thalassa4 likes this.
#58 Old 01-11-2016, 05:43 AM
Veggie Regular

My biggest frustration is driving by the stock yards on the way to the only large town I can shop in, and hoping I will see a gang of cows plotting their escape, and then further down the road, seeing all the cars in the parking lot of the meat packing plant, and the cow trucks going in and out, and realizing they are not out of business yet.

Hm. Or maybe it is when my someone asks, "can you eat this? There is only a little bit of meat in it."
#59 Old 01-11-2016, 05:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Whatever you choose to do, for whatever reasons you choose to do them, is up to you. I am perplexed however at why you would want to keep on buying the same amount of meat as you used to buy when you both ate it?

I understand that you don't expect your husband to change and that you wish to maintain the long-standing mutually understood terms of your relationship, but now that you're no longer eating it why would you want to feed your husband twice as much meat as before?

Does he actually want all that extra meat in his diet? I'd be concerned about his health; lots of animal flesh and fat isn't a good thing (at least that's what most of the studies are telling us these days).
QuietVegan and no whey jose like this.
#60 Old 01-11-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
I read that. Still doesn't make sense (to me). Did he not have meat for lunch before, and will start doing so now?
Unless he's going to eat more meat now, it really doesn't make any sense to purchase the same amount. Unless the same amount is going to last for longer, but then it wouldn't really be purchasing the same amount.
I buy all of our groceries, and I stick to a very tight food budget for the week. Because meat is expensive here, if I were to make a chicken dinner lets say, I would only buy two organic chicken breasts, one for each of us. If I were to buy more for the sake of him having chicken in his lunch the next day, that would cut into the budget for groceries for later in the week.

My husband and I have a non-typical, somewhat traditional arrangement when it comes to shared duties and costs. It works well for us though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page