• 2 Post By Sadrielle
  • 1 Post By Shandong
  • 1 Post By Loki Laufeyson
  • 1 Post By Amber Marcengill Morales

#1 Old 11-01-2015, 10:47 AM
Witch of the South

Send a message via Skype™ to Loki Laufeyson
Accidentally ate chicken

My friend made this dip last night and added chicken and I didn't realize it until she told me. I had a little bit of it, what I assumed to be cheese, was chicken. I didn't honestly know because it was mixed with like ten other things. Ugh, I feel so disgusted and upset and was upset all night.

FML.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Vegan since 1991

Don't worry about it. We've all had this happen.

Nice friend - she serves you a meat dish, knowing that you're a vegetarian.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 11-01-2015, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

How awful. I'm sorry. It's happened to me several times and it never gets easier. Just try to put it out of your head and move on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Witch of the South

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Don't worry about it. We've all had this happen.

Nice friend - she serves you a meat dish, knowing that you're a vegetarian.
She didn't, it was laying out with other dips and since everyone exclaimed how wonderful it was, I tried it. Didn't help when someone was like "TRY THIS AMAZING DIP!"

She knows I am vegetarian and apologized that I had tried it. But I wished I knew before hand.
#5 Old 11-01-2015, 11:10 AM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
David's right. It's not your fault. You'll be OK. You might wanna bring your own dip from now on, though.... IF you've remained friends with this peach of a gal.

I remember in my first few months as a veg-head, the "accidental" bacon on what ended up being the very last take-out pizza I ever got. Favorite pizza place, was a regular, specifically ordered vegetarian, took a few big bites... hmm, somethin' ain't too groovy with this texture... dug around a bit and there it was, right smack in the middle, but cleverly buried under all the veggies.... I felt physically ill (bad stomach cramps) for a couple days, but it could've been psychosomatic. Most apparent to me, however, was that I felt so despondent & betrayed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra
#6 Old 11-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry to hear this happened -- it's always a bummer. Don't worry, it's happened to all of us at one point or another. Learn what you can from it, and move on.

Sometimes I am hesitant to draw attention to the fact that I'm vegetarian, but actually this isn't always a bad thing as it can sometimes start up interesting conversations with veggie hopefuls. So, if I'm at a party I might ask the host about which items are vegetarian.
LedBoots likes this.
#7 Old 11-01-2015, 12:13 PM

I've had a similar situation happen a few times with eggs/dairy. One time I ate a potato pancake thing that I didn't realize had eggs in it. Another time I ate broccoli that had butter in it (my family told me about the butter after eating it). I also ordered a sandwich once, remembered to ask for no cheese, but forgot to have the pesto removed.

Mistakes happen. No one is perfect. Use it as a learning experience to prevent that situation from happening less often.

God knows what has ended up in my meals at restaurants...

Something I always do is bring a dish or two to a get together. Don't be afraid to ask which food is vegetarian, just make sure to thank them for helping you out.
Jasminedesi16 likes this.
#8 Old 11-02-2015, 06:08 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Laufeyson View Post
She didn't, it was laying out with other dips and since everyone exclaimed how wonderful it was, I tried it. Didn't help when someone was like "TRY THIS AMAZING DIP!"

She knows I am vegetarian and apologized that I had tried it. But I wished I knew before hand.
Don't beat yourself or your friend up it sounds like it was an accident, in the off chance it was not an accident and you just really wanted to try it that's not the end of the world either. Think of all the animals you save every day by not eating meat if you slip up this one time pull up your pants and continue as though it did not happen. Your doing a good thing here one slip up is not going to change that.
Tom likes this.
#9 Old 11-02-2015, 09:53 AM

I have one curiosity, your friends knew it had meat and knew that you were vegetarian and saw you going for the dip, but none of them said anything and just watched you eating it?

Anyway, things like this happen, don't be angry at yourself. Next time you'll be more careful.
#10 Old 11-02-2015, 10:33 AM
the ever sleepy

Not everyone knows, recalls, or is particularly mindful of what Vegans and Vegetarians do every minute of the hour. Sure, she could have pointed out which dips had meat in them and which ones didn't if there were when Loki arrived to the gathering, but Loki could have asked before going in and sampling foods. @[email protected] It was an oversight. Insinuating the friend had some ulterior motive, suggesting the friend is morally responsible for something that perhaps happened out of her sight /notice at a social gathering (it looks like several friends were over at the time, hence why the dips and chips were out?), or suggesting that it was on her at all is ridiculous.

Don't feel bad about it, Loki. Like David3 said, it happens to everyone at one point or another. Put it out of your mind, and take it as a learning experience! If no one has explicitly said whether or not the things on the dinner table are vegan/vegetarian, it's always better to ask and be "that guy."
AnneMaria and LedBoots like this.

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.
#11 Old 11-02-2015, 12:23 PM

This happened to me once, I was on a Thai Take Away restaurant. Ordered a vegetarian wok and asked to have tofu instead of chicken, when I got the food I ate and I started to eat and swallowed I realized she accidentally put chicken in it. I felt a lot of bad consciousness but I realized I did not do it on purpose even if I felt very gross after and sad. Seems like I am not the only one who have experienced something similiar.

Anyway, how come your friend serve you a dish with meat when she knows you are a vegetarian? Did you ask her? I understand your bad feeling but cheer up about the fact that you didn't do it on purpose. But what kind of friend do something like this when she know you are veggie? Be careful and ask next time, just to be sure even if your friend should know!
Jasminedesi16 likes this.
#12 Old 11-02-2015, 03:47 PM
Witch of the South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadrielle View Post
Not everyone knows, recalls, or is particularly mindful of what Vegans and Vegetarians do every minute of the hour. Sure, she could have pointed out which dips had meat in them and which ones didn't if there were when Loki arrived to the gathering, but Loki could have asked before going in and sampling foods. @[email protected] It was an oversight. Insinuating the friend had some ulterior motive, suggesting the friend is morally responsible for something that perhaps happened out of her sight /notice at a social gathering (it looks like several friends were over at the time, hence why the dips and chips were out?), or suggesting that it was on her at all is ridiculous.

Don't feel bad about it, Loki. Like David3 said, it happens to everyone at one point or another. Put it out of your mind, and take it as a learning experience! If no one has explicitly said whether or not the things on the dinner table are vegan/vegetarian, it's always better to ask and be "that guy."
I was there when it was made, but I was busy making fruit shish kabobs, so I didn't see her add the shredded chicken to the dip. I honestly thought it was cheese, since she loaded it with a BUNCH of other things.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The thing that really pissed me off today was that I was at McDonalds (boyfriend didn't go to the right gas station, so needed somewhere quick before orientation. Judge me and you can piss off. ) and I ordered an Egg McMuffin WITHOUT the Canadian Bacon. They already made me late by being slow so I didn't get to check my food til we were gone and they had added the f***ing meat to it. I just pulled it off, gave it to my boyfriend, and forced myself to eat this nasty meal because I was in a hurry and it was my only chance to eat. Ugh.
Sadrielle likes this.
#13 Old 11-02-2015, 05:55 PM
the ever sleepy

Eek, I can understand feeling a little miffed about your friend not mentioning it, then.

There are frustrations at every turn! I consider myself blessed that no one's fudged up any of my orders yet at any time I've eaten out thus far. I'm sure it's bound to happen, though.

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.
#14 Old 11-02-2015, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Laufeyson View Post
My friend made this dip last night and added chicken and I didn't realize it until she told me. I had a little bit of it, what I assumed to be cheese, was chicken. I didn't honestly know because it was mixed with like ten other things. Ugh, I feel so disgusted and upset and was upset all night.

FML.
*Picks @Loki Laufeyson up, dusts her off tells her she's still allowed on these boards, and that she's all right*...Don't worry about it. We've all been duped, we've all made mistakes, we've all screwed up at one point or another. It's why my tagline is what it is. Next time, offer to bring your own dip instead. Or ask her in advance.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#15 Old 11-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Cat

Bah... I'm sorry this happened to you.

Something similar happened to me where my mom offered me SUPER AWESOME macaroni and cheese, and at the time, I was only vegetarian... So, I was like SURE! I took a small bite out of it, and the bacon flavor in it was SO EXTREME that I began to gag.

I guess I can't blame them for not knowing. They apologized and said that they didn't taste or smell it. Which, they are heavy meat eaters and smokers, so it makes sense.

I really hope your friend really did empathize with how horrible you felt after eating the chicken ingredient... and I hope her apology was sincere. <3

Just remember, like everyone else has been saying, it is not your fault! You unwillingly ate it, so the only thing you can do now is move forward and just be a little more careful. <3
Purp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page