Omnivores - Hypocrites? - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 161Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#91 Old 10-15-2015, 06:20 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailFin View Post
Hi all, writing this in response to all of the hypocrite references. While it may be technically true, and they may be hypocrites, we’re all hypocrites. Every single last one of us. Even vegans. *gasp*

Sure, I guarantee someone can come along and poke holes here and there with what I have below, but EVERYTHING that every single person does negatively affects the environment and animals around us. We just need to learn how to reduce our impacts.

What I’m trying to say is that calling others hypocrites when we ourselves are hypocrites is quite hypocritical.

Did you turn the lights on at home? Well, that power came from a facility that developed on land taken away from animals. In many cases, they likely withdrawal water from a river/lake/ocean, likely impinging and killing some fish/animals in the process. In the process, they’re probably discharging lots of pollutants in the air (depending on the fuel) and heated water. They then send that power through powerlines, which require maintained right-of-ways to substations, and then more power lines to your houses. All this land takes away animals’ homes.

Oh, so, you use solar power? Great! That’s one step ahead, but the panels still needed to be manufactured in a facility that, again, was on land taken away from animals. Then, the panels needed to be shipped to your house. All those roads for the trucks had to be paved over natural land. Oh, they were shipped? Great, now you’re adding noise and contaminants to the ocean. If you have batteries for your solar system, that’s probably even worse for the environment. Then, when the panels stop working and need to be replaced, the old panels will need to be sent to a processing facility, since they’re electronic and shouldn’t go to a landfill.

Oh, no solar, wind power? Ok, that works, too! How many birds do they kill a year? Lots. Lots and lots because of the pressure differential. Not to mention the noise that is coming from them when operating, and the land and right-of-way access that is made and required to be maintained.

You don’t use power? Awesome! How are you reading this?

Did you drive your car to work or the grocery store? Not only did the car travel a long way to get to you from the manufacturing facility, your car is horrible for the environment once it dies. The battery will need to be recycled, and those facilities are pretty scary with the amount of metals that come from them from the process. Sure, some parts can be salvaged/recycled and used again, but some can’t. The gas/petroleum/oil required to make it go has some pretty deleterious effects to nature. Don’t think we need to go into all of them.

You don’t have a car? AWESOME! Did you walk down the sidewalk? That concrete came from somewhere, likely rocks from a quarry that was excavated. Also, all the land required for sidewalks, buildings, ugh. So much natural land taken away from animals.

Oh, so you don’t fit in any of the categories above? Well, if you’re reading this, the website’s information is likely stored in a server in a facility that is using large amounts of electricity, that is probably dirt cheap so they don’t give a darn if the electricity is ethical or not. Not to mention, the building was developed on natural land, and probably uses lots of water (for noncontact cooling) to keep the conditions in the building just right so that the servers don’t overheat.

I’m not posting this to be offending. I’m not posting it to be smart. I’m just saying that we all need to live together on this very small planet. We can get our point across without fighting each other and pointing fingers. Let’s take a step back and reevaluate how we want to lead discussions.
While I do generally concur with what you said it is not a valid reason to give up trying as best we can to cause the least impact with the resources available to us.
If the environmental impact of peoples diets (arguably more important than all other factors of our modern lives combined) were a school report the trying to be the least hypocritical is what separates the "could do better" from the "are doing better" students.
Maybe Vegetarians and vegans come across as a bit smug and annoying, and sure you get more people to your side with sweet talking them rather than sounding bitter, but in a way actually yes we have earned the right to be slightly smug and holier than thou, because it's us that made the change while their lazy butts sit there in blatant apathy.

Sorry I do not wish to offend anybody, but that really is the truth of it. We didn't just keep saying we care while continuing to eat dead animals, we actually made an effort to show we cared enough to change our lifestyles (and for the better).

Last edited by Chickpeachic; 10-15-2015 at 06:25 AM. Reason: adding a note
Chickpeachic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#92 Old 10-15-2015, 06:41 AM
Beginner
 
unovegan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 159
They are hypocrites yes. The same way that vegetarians are also hypocrites. Both support a violent ideology, and at best vegetarians are anti environmentalists. These things have left such a stain on the planet that calling them for what they are is really the only way to address them.

Dog, guts and guns..
unovegan2 is offline  
#93 Old 10-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular
 
TailFin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
... Tailspin-I mean, Tailfin.
Sorry, but denigrating a username is a pretty low point in one's argument.

It's a shame that you had to stoop that low. Sorry, but I'm not following you.

That said, I am now officially out of this thread.
silva, leedsveg and Sadrielle like this.
TailFin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#94 Old 10-15-2015, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailFin View Post
Sorry, but denigrating a username is a pretty low point in one's argument.
Agreed.
silva, TailFin and leedsveg like this.
Beautiful Joe is offline  
#95 Old 10-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfin
Sorry, but denigrating a username is a pretty low point in one's argument.
I accidentally typed Tailspin at first and decided to leave it in. What, you've never seen Tailspin before?


Either way, even if it was intended as an insult, it's not as bad as outright ignoring the rest of my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfin
It's a shame that you had to stoop that low. Sorry, but I'm not following you.

That said, I am now officially out of this thread.
WAT. Seriously?

...no really, THAT put you off?

Where's your friggin' [REDACTED]?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe
Agreed.
Get out of here, Joe. I take back that kiss from earlier.
Dogma is offline  
#96 Old 10-16-2015, 05:41 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
Anybody understand what this thread is now about?
LedBoots likes this.
leedsveg is offline  
#97 Old 10-16-2015, 07:36 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
Anybody understand what this thread is now about?
Hand me some of that popcorn, Tailspin is on.
Dogma is offline  
#98 Old 10-16-2015, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular
 
cherries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotInCommand View Post
What I cannot stand is the hypocrisy some omnivores possess. They fight for animal rights, complain about abuse against all animals, yet they think it is perfectly fine to be ignorant towards the abuse that animals reared for food in and out of the slaughterhouses suffer. They seem to ignore the pain these animals feel when their lives are abruptly ended or when they are injected with chemicals causing marked weight gain (losing the ability to walk and breathe properly) , kicked or confined in tiny areas allowing little movement. I have come to the conclusion that just because farm animals are not as "cute" or "fluffy" as cats and dogs, it is somewhat okay for animals to be abused and treated with disrespect. This includes "tasty" or "unintelligent" animals. Notice all omnivores like animals out of their food chain often? It is hypocrisy. Being slaughtered against its own will and without consent is abuse at its best. And so does being confined in small spaces, being treated with disrespect, kicked, and the list goes on.

It seems to me the mentality of self-proclaimed animal lovers are like this: "I cannot tolerate abuse against ALL animals... Except less cute ones like cow, chicken and pigs because they taste good and are least intelligent. Therefore I should feel less guilty about these desires. "

Until aliens descend onto Earth, rear humans for meat and think they are suitable for consumption just because they are more advanced and intelligent than them, people will never understand the fear and excruciating pain animals reared for food go through.
Exactly I went to a fund raiser for the Humane Society once. They where selling hot dogs, and Sausage basically they were benefiting from animal death when they fight animal abuse. I said something to one of the workers.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cherries is offline  
#99 Old 10-16-2015, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Hand me some of that popcorn, Tailspin is on.
Are you ok Dogma?
leedsveg is offline  
#100 Old 10-16-2015, 07:14 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
Are you ok Dogma?
*sighs and leans back* You know, leedsveg, I think some people are just too comfortable making a point than committing themselves to one. If you set up the pins, and I bowl a strike, that's no reason to get offended and stomp off, you know? Take a turn knocking down my pins! And if you can't, don't spit gum in my shoes, just concede the game and play again some other time, right?

Dogma is offline  
#101 Old 10-17-2015, 06:21 AM
Captain
 
PilotInCommand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: International Airport
Posts: 55
I am not a troll. What I don't like is other vegans/vegetarians harping on others that agree with their ideology. We cannot grow strong as a community, lift each other up and convince other people to become vegetarians. I have no idea why you think I am a troll just because YOU do not agree with me or we do not get along. That also makes you a troll because I don't also agree with you and I am not getting along with you.

However, you will never put me off being a vegetarian. There are a lot of nice, supportive vegetarians that inspire me. I love that most of us share the same idea that all animals are sentient beings. There is no need for each other to become bitter towards our community. My love for animals is greater than your bitterness.
PilotInCommand is offline  
#102 Old 10-17-2015, 06:34 AM
Captain
 
PilotInCommand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: International Airport
Posts: 55
You may find me naive. I am still young, I am still learning and integrating into society. I was fresh out of high school and now into a flying school. Aviation and vegetarianism has always been the two biggest passions in my life, and sometimes I have a tendency to speak too passionately about them. I love animals, and I love how gentle and intelligent some of them can be. I am not experienced in life like some of you are, who already integrated into society for so many years, and had much more years of experience being a vegetarian or vegan than I. NOBIDY is perfect, and I understand that. If you are trying to get me to learn, fair enough. But if you are going to insult me and label me a troll just because you don't agree with me, you don't get along with me or find that it's almost impossible and hard to believe that a female pilot is a vegetarian, I'm not going to listen to you. I know in this world, it's impossible to get everyone to like you. We have different ways of seeing things and different ways of thinking. But I don't want to pick up fights in this forum. I am merely expressing what I think and what you all think of it in general. I have freedom of speech and so do all of you. I just don't like the fact that people eat meat and think it's acceptable to label themselves animal lovers when they are supporting animal exploitation. I know animals are not property, and not ours to exploit or use because they cannot give consent. I know I may seem hypocritical for not being a vegan, but then again, if I was a vegan, people would still disagree with me; it's the internet, for Pete's sake. I am doing my absolute best to minimize any animal exploitation on my part, but being vegan did not work out for me at all. Being vegetarian was more suitable for me because of my health.
LedBoots, Sadrielle and axlyz like this.
PilotInCommand is offline  
#103 Old 10-17-2015, 07:33 AM
Impeach the gangster
 
Capstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,052
MOD POST- A reminder: this is the Vegetarian Support forum. It is not permitted to try to sway vegetarians to veganism here. This forum is for supporting those who choose the vegetarian way of life.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Capstan is offline  
#104 Old 10-17-2015, 07:34 AM
Captain
 
PilotInCommand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: International Airport
Posts: 55
My doctor told me I was low on B12. The B12 injections didn't help me. I still feel tired all the time despite that I eat a lot of fruit, vegetables and exercise. Fatigue is a problem, and I was weak. The doctor advised that I get direct source of B12 instead of artificial injections. I tried his method to see if it was true, although I was doubtful. I tried eating eggs and cheese and it did make a difference after eating it for a few weeks. I was less tired, and was more energetic. I wish I was more suited towards vegan. Direct source offers more B12 than anything synthetic. I am trying my best, I am eating to live, not living to eat. I only eat when I'm hungry, and it's not meat. It's always tofu, vegetables, some eggs, etc. (But free range though) I don't know why without direct B12 from animal products, I feel weak and tired. Vegan wasn't working for me so I am trying my very best to minimize my diet from animal exploitation. My health comes first.
Sadrielle likes this.
PilotInCommand is offline  
#105 Old 10-17-2015, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
*sighs and leans back* You know, leedsveg, I think some people are just too comfortable making a point than committing themselves to one. If you set up the pins, and I bowl a strike, that's no reason to get offended and stomp off, you know? Take a turn knocking down my pins! And if you can't, don't spit gum in my shoes, just concede the game and play again some other time, right?

Hi Dogma!

I really love your bowling analogy. The only problem is that in real life, yes, we can all see the pins falling when you bowl a strike. On a forum however, you may feel that you've made the perfect rejoinder ie "bowled a strike", but we "bystanders" may not necessarily agree. I guess a good way to assess our feelings would be to look at the positivity or otherwise of our comments, if indeed there are any.

Maybe I'm reading too much into your comments, in which case I'll have to start taking the irony tablets again....
leedsveg is offline  
#106 Old 10-17-2015, 01:39 PM
the ever sleepy
 
Sadrielle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
*sighs and leans back* You know, leedsveg, I think some people are just too comfortable making a point than committing themselves to one. If you set up the pins, and I bowl a strike, that's no reason to get offended and stomp off, you know? Take a turn knocking down my pins! And if you can't, don't spit gum in my shoes, just concede the game and play again some other time, right?

I liked the bowling ball/pins analogy, too. I think that's my favorite one from you yet, Dogma.

Your writing is flavorful. It's not a bad thing. It has an energetic personality. The problem with writing this way is that tone and intention are not always correctly conveyed. It's easy to misinterpret and misconstrue. It becomes even more of a problem if you're trying to write arguments and press conversation points with said flavorful text, because at that point, it can be misinterpreted as dismissive, flippant, and ridicule. Neither of these things are fun to argue against, and it can create a sour mood if the person on the receiving end doesn't realize you're just trying to convey personality and fun.
no whey jose likes this.

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.

Last edited by Sadrielle; 10-17-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Sadrielle is offline  
#107 Old 10-17-2015, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotInCommand View Post
My doctor told me I was low on B12. The B12 injections didn't help me. I still feel tired all the time despite that I eat a lot of fruit, vegetables and exercise. Fatigue is a problem, and I was weak. The doctor advised that I get direct source of B12 instead of artificial injections. I tried his method to see if it was true, although I was doubtful. I tried eating eggs and cheese and it did make a difference after eating it for a few weeks. I was less tired, and was more energetic. I wish I was more suited towards vegan. Direct source offers more B12 than anything synthetic. I am trying my best, I am eating to live, not living to eat. I only eat when I'm hungry, and it's not meat. It's always tofu, vegetables, some eggs, etc. (But free range though) I don't know why without direct B12 from animal products, I feel weak and tired. Vegan wasn't working for me so I am trying my very best to minimize my diet from animal exploitation. My health comes first.
When did you quit meat? It takes years to deplete b12 stores, and many meateaters have disorders that inhibit them from absorbing b12. Pernicious anemia is one, and is corrected by B12 injection. You can even give them to yourself after a while. They're the most effective. Eggs really have little. It doesn't make sense for you to choose things that didn't help in the first place. I don't remember you saying you were vegan all that long

I do hope you chill out in pointing fingers. There is way too much abuse of all kinds in this world.
Growing up I was consumed by all the horrors that most everyone has learned to accept. While animal use is by far the biggest one that pains me, and one I feel is the easiest to do something about, others are focused on helping the children, the sick, the elderly the sick, the environment the mentally ill the victims....
It's hard to accept that others are unwilling to make such a small change, but its so much more than that. Its a much bigger picture when you include all the other atrocities people cope with. Just as you and others are quick to defend yourself on why you dont do more by saying at least you don't eat meat. That to you is more important, but to others, other things are, and they are just as justified in saying at least they don't/or do________ (fill in the blank).
leedsveg and Beautiful Joe like this.
silva is offline  
#108 Old 10-25-2015, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Wow, you put a surprising amount of effort into that.
no whey jose is offline  
#109 Old 10-25-2015, 07:22 PM
Beginner
 
jocelyn3113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 127
We are all hypocrites period. We should never try to dissuade others from doing good because we feel it's not good enough. Things like meatless Mondays and volunteerING at your local animal shelter are good things that good does not dissappear simply because you ate a steak on tusday.
silva and leedsveg like this.
jocelyn3113 is offline  
#110 Old 11-11-2015, 11:49 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3
I had been about 1/2 hour away from real death when they brought me in,casesam.co.uk so this was prolonged, gruesome and real. Anyway, they said, go ahead, and I looked and saw---MEAT!!! Yup,www.casesam.co.uk I was made of meat. It looked like the kind of the dark pink stuff people buy at the grocery store. I became a vegetarian due to that experience and a few others.

Last edited by hfdagragzz; 11-12-2015 at 06:04 PM.
hfdagragzz is offline  
#111 Old 11-12-2015, 01:01 AM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Eating pork is absolutely sinister and should be forcibly against the law. I'm neither Jewish nor Muslim, but pigs are extremely intelligent animals, it's like eating a dog. ..except pigs are actually smarter. Pork is unhealthy to eat, anyway, and most disgustingly is practically cannibalism. ..human flesh tastes similar to pork. In my twenties two of my favorite indie films were Delicatessen and Grave Indiscretion. ..both about feeding people human flesh disguised as pork.

It's hypocritical to eat anything besides fish or fowl if you are an animal rights person, because well, you simply shouldn't be eating other mammals.

I do think chicken farming is cruel though, and I avoid fish for environmental reasons.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#112 Old 11-12-2015, 01:21 AM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lymo View Post
Yup. The best thing you can do for the environment is suicide
Unless you're being sarcastic, this is an absurd thing to say. Scientists are actually confirming now that dietary change to vegetarian actually does more good than just about any other lifestyle changes. ..about 1/3 of the earth is being used for livestock alone. 500 years ago it was only 7% (seven percent).

We can also stop ripping up the land to acquire coal and oil to burn it back into the air. While perfection isn't possible, it's equally as stupid to say all choices are similar in impact, or that suicide is the only way out.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#113 Old 11-12-2015, 01:26 AM
Newbie
 
Shandong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 36
Same hypocrisy that people have who don't mind killing rats, frogs, snakes or insects (killing insects on purpose) loves etc. cats and think they deserve life and don't accept cruelty to cats. To be honest, I think many people don't make the connection that the cute little fluffy lamb or the cute little piglet are the same animal as on the plate. I think it is also cultural, in the western world we see dogs and cats or bunnies as companion animals but in India, eating a cow is unthinkable for them just as it is unthinkable for people in western world to eat dogs. In Ancient Egypt and in cultures (some people in India) where they worship snakes, just thinking about killing a snake doesn't exist in peoples mind.

When I was a kid, I was taught that the meatballs on my plate are food and no one taught me the connection that it is a dead animal. No one told me where the meat balls come from, cows were cows, pigs were pigs and meat was food.
Many omnis don't make the connection, and as a person who like to think good about all living creatures I think the omnis who don't realize that meat is murder and who have a good heart, if they visited a slaughter house they would go home and throw out all animal products from their kitchen. Also, I think it is a psychological defense in human beings that we forget and "don't think about it" when we know something is so wrong and cruel. I hope you understand what I mean!

But the omnis who KNOWS and don't care, I think they are evil, and extremely selfish.
no whey jose likes this.
Shandong is offline  
#114 Old 11-12-2015, 01:29 AM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailFin View Post
Hi all, writing this in response to all of the hypocrite references. While it may be technically true, and they may be hypocrites, we’re all hypocrites. Every single last one of us. Even vegans. *gasp*

Sure, I guarantee someone can come along and poke holes here and there with what I have below, but EVERYTHING that every single person does negatively affects the environment and animals around us. We just need to learn how to reduce our impacts.

What I’m trying to say is that calling others hypocrites when we ourselves are hypocrites is quite hypocritical.

Did you turn the lights on at home? Well, that power came from a facility that developed on land taken away from animals. In many cases, they likely withdrawal water from a river/lake/ocean, likely impinging and killing some fish/animals in the process. In the process, they’re probably discharging lots of pollutants in the air (depending on the fuel) and heated water. They then send that power through powerlines, which require maintained right-of-ways to substations, and then more power lines to your houses. All this land takes away animals’ homes.

Oh, so, you use solar power? Great! That’s one step ahead, but the panels still needed to be manufactured in a facility that, again, was on land taken away from animals. Then, the panels needed to be shipped to your house. All those roads for the trucks had to be paved over natural land. Oh, they were shipped? Great, now you’re adding noise and contaminants to the ocean. If you have batteries for your solar system, that’s probably even worse for the environment. Then, when the panels stop working and need to be replaced, the old panels will need to be sent to a processing facility, since they’re electronic and shouldn’t go to a landfill.

Oh, no solar, wind power? Ok, that works, too! How many birds do they kill a year? Lots. Lots and lots because of the pressure differential. Not to mention the noise that is coming from them when operating, and the land and right-of-way access that is made and required to be maintained.

You don’t use power? Awesome! How are you reading this?

Did you drive your car to work or the grocery store? Not only did the car travel a long way to get to you from the manufacturing facility, your car is horrible for the environment once it dies. The battery will need to be recycled, and those facilities are pretty scary with the amount of metals that come from them from the process. Sure, some parts can be salvaged/recycled and used again, but some can’t. The gas/petroleum/oil required to make it go has some pretty deleterious effects to nature. Don’t think we need to go into all of them.

You don’t have a car? AWESOME! Did you walk down the sidewalk? That concrete came from somewhere, likely rocks from a quarry that was excavated. Also, all the land required for sidewalks, buildings, ugh. So much natural land taken away from animals.

Oh, so you don’t fit in any of the categories above? Well, if you’re reading this, the website’s information is likely stored in a server in a facility that is using large amounts of electricity, that is probably dirt cheap so they don’t give a darn if the electricity is ethical or not. Not to mention, the building was developed on natural land, and probably uses lots of water (for noncontact cooling) to keep the conditions in the building just right so that the servers don’t overheat.

I’m not posting this to be offending. I’m not posting it to be smart. I’m just saying that we all need to live together on this very small planet. We can get our point across without fighting each other and pointing fingers. Let’s take a step back and reevaluate how we want to lead discussions.
While you made a good point (nothing irritates me more than a pseudo environmentalist who drives an SUV or spends thousands of dollars on electricity each month, and none of us are perfect, we all do something) ...it's also kind of simplistic to argue that all choices or hypocrisy is equally bad...no, some choices really do significantly more harm than others and are easier to avoid.

Your argument is half baked on some nihilistic post modern slippery slope...the kind of argument you are making excuses some of the worst people to keep being destructive. ..it's similar to the well we're all going to die anyway argument. ..it's intellectually and morally lazy, though there's grains of truth to it.

You've taken the original insight, but haven't gone further with it.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#115 Old 11-12-2015, 02:05 AM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandong View Post
Same hypocrisy that people have who don't mind killing rats, frogs, snakes or insects (killing insects on purpose) loves etc. cats and think they deserve life and don't accept cruelty to cats. To be honest, I think many people don't make the connection that the cute little fluffy lamb or the cute little piglet are the same animal as on the plate. I think it is also cultural, in the western world we see dogs and cats or bunnies as companion animals but in India, eating a cow is unthinkable for them just as it is unthinkable for people in western world to eat dogs. In Ancient Egypt and in cultures (some people in India) where they worship snakes, just thinking about killing a snake doesn't exist in peoples mind.

When I was a kid, I was taught that the meatballs on my plate are food and no one taught me the connection that it is a dead animal. No one told me where the meat balls come from, cows were cows, pigs were pigs and meat was food.
Many omnis don't make the connection, and as a person who like to think good about all living creatures I think the omnis who don't realize that meat is murder and who have a good heart, if they visited a slaughter house they would go home and throw out all animal products from their kitchen. Also, I think it is a psychological defense in human beings that we forget and "don't think about it" when we know something is so wrong and cruel. I hope you understand what I mean!

But the omnis who KNOWS and don't care, I think they are evil, and extremely selfish.

Yes we live in a horrible throw away consumer culture where trash, fetuses, and factory farmed animal corpses keep piling up, and I honestly shudder to think of all of the toxic cultural habits I've had to unlearn, some more challenging than others...from junk food to alcohol or cigarettes, disposable everything, oil over-dependence, and meat...our culture is filled with destructive things.

But some people are not doing their best. In fact many people aren't doing even half what they could. ..I don't buy the argument that everyone is doing the best with what they've got...um, no...no they aren't. While most of us are enculturated into the death culture to some degree, there are lots of people who are aware, who aren't doing enough. ..and yes those people are selfish, some of them are even bad enough to be called evil.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#116 Old 11-12-2015, 05:21 AM
Veggie Regular
 
TailFin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
While you made a good point (nothing irritates me more than a pseudo environmentalist who drives an SUV or spends thousands of dollars on electricity each month, and none of us are perfect, we all do something) ...it's also kind of simplistic to argue that all choices or hypocrisy is equally bad...no, some choices really do significantly more harm than others and are easier to avoid.

Your argument is half baked on some nihilistic post modern slippery slope...the kind of argument you are making excuses some of the worst people to keep being destructive. ..it's similar to the well we're all going to die anyway argument. ..it's intellectually and morally lazy, though there's grains of truth to it.

You've taken the original insight, but haven't gone further with it.
I think I said I wasn't going to post in this thread anymore. But, since it was resurrected...

You've clearly missed my entire point. My point wasn't to make an argument or excuse at all. My point was: do not call people names, such as hypocrites, if you want to have an honest discussion. Otherwise, it's not a discussion, people get heated, and nothing changes.

Not sure how you got 'nihilistic postmodern' out of simply wanting people to stop using the word 'hypocrite' in discussions.
silva, leedsveg and Beautiful Joe like this.
TailFin is offline  
#117 Old 11-12-2015, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailFin View Post
My point was: do not call people names, such as hypocrites, if you want to have an honest discussion. Otherwise, it's not a discussion, people get heated, and nothing changes.
Well said TailFin. Perhaps some people don't want a discussion? Maybe they just want to boost themselves by denigrating others?

Lv
TailFin and Beautiful Joe like this.
leedsveg is offline  
#118 Old 11-12-2015, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandong View Post
I think many people don't make the connection that the cute little fluffy lamb or the cute little piglet are the same animal as on the plate.
"Right, Lisa... Some wonderful, maaagical animal!"




Joking aside, you're absolutely right. In the view of most people, animals are animals and meat is food, as benign a substance as rice or raisins. Even once we learn the truth, we can't really FEEL it in any appreciable way. It's very hard to break through those positive associations we've built up since childhood: a roast dinner on Sundays or Thanksgiving turkey, grandma's famous meat loaf, pepperoni pizza at a school party. To even suggest that there is something insidious behind those beloved memories is deeply, personally insulting to most people. That's why we respond so defensively to vegetarians but not to those who campaign for the rights and welfare of cats and dogs or captive orcas: we DO believe that animals should be treated ethically, as long as no accusatory fingers are pointed at us for doing something we've always done and never thought NOT to do. The dynamic is really fascinating. I would love to speak candidly to a meat-eater about this, but it's hard to find one who's willing. Even my husband and mother become so defensive when I bring up the subject that I rarely do.
LedBoots and leedsveg like this.
no whey jose is offline  
#119 Old 11-12-2015, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
Well said TailFin. Perhaps some people don't want a discussion? Maybe they just want to boost themselves by denigrating others?

Lv
I think that this, unfortunately, happens a lot (and with respect to many different topics).
TailFin likes this.
Beautiful Joe is offline  
#120 Old 11-12-2015, 06:41 PM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailFin View Post
I think I said I wasn't going to post in this thread anymore. But, since it was resurrected...

You've clearly missed my entire point. My point wasn't to make an argument or excuse at all. My point was: do not call people names, such as hypocrites, if you want to have an honest discussion. Otherwise, it's not a discussion, people get heated, and nothing changes.

Not sure how you got 'nihilistic postmodern' out of simply wanting people to stop using the word 'hypocrite' in discussions.

Because it's much too easy to twist "well everyone is a hypocrite" or "no way is 100%" into "see? No way is the right way, or even a better way!"...then someone said yeah the only way to not harm the environment is to commit suicide right after your post...it doesn't get much more nihilistic than that. If you were writing a paper for school, or an article for publishing, you'd be downgraded for being incomplete or lacking clarity. What you meant doesn't matter, since you didn't bother to add at the end how most major scientific data supports vegan or vegetarian diets, as well as reducing fossil fuels. Just because some people smoke crack, isn't an excuse to become a cigarette smoker...there's an actual academic term for what you're doing here, which eludes me at the moment. ..but if you want to win a debate I suggest you actually develop a coherent world view other than stopping at "all people are hypocritical and no one is perfect"...congratulations on figuring that out, so now what?
Thalassa4 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off