Omnivores - Hypocrites? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 161Likes

#31 Old 10-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Beginner

totally 1000% agree with you. My sissy loooooooooves animals and wants to be an animal EMT, but she said that steak is too good and that's why she won't go vegetarian. But I used to be the same way so I guess it would be hypocritical of me to criticize her wouldn't it?
Beautiful Joe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 10-04-2015, 09:37 PM
Beginner

Saying you love animals and then eating them is like saying that you love women and then raping them.
#33 Old 10-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
You hadn't met me, back in my just-before-turning vegetarian days. I was full-on ARA, militant as can be, out walking the walk and talking the talk, doing protests/boycotts, cutting up my American Express card and sending it in, telling them until they stopped promoting the sale of fur [in their mailings] I didn't want to be a cardholder any more, the whole works. And I still ate meat. Oh, it wasn't very long before everything clicked, but there definitely was some lag time between when I first really became involved in animal rights and when I made the switch to strict vegetarianism. So it DOES happen. Sometimes.

For me, the only explanation I can think of or that sounds plausible--this many years on--is that I didn't really know how cruel and abusive the meat industry actually is. I was brought up thinking--or, more accurately, NOT thinking--about meat at all, at least not in terms of its origins, how it ends up on my table, etc., just that meat animals are "put on this earth for us to use!" I even remember saying something like that to my brother-in-law, who has been vegetarian since the '70s, i.e., "but that's what they're here for!" Oh well. I can't say I'm proud of it, but there it is.

I'd like to think that if EVERYONE watched undercover videos of factory farms and slaughterhouses, the MAJORITY of them would go veg immediately. Sure, there would be some people who just frankly don't give a crap about the suffering, but a lot of people would. It's just getting them to watch...that's the hurdle.
nope. showed plenty of people the factory farming vids and they didn't give one ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 10-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lymo View Post
nope. showed plenty of people the factory farming vids and they didn't give one ****.
Seriously? That's really sad.
#35 Old 10-04-2015, 11:35 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
Seriously? That's really sad.
Yeah, for real. They were like, "oh well. it's just an animal"
#36 Old 10-05-2015, 12:04 AM
the ever sleepy

Quote:
Yeah, for real. They were like, "oh well. it's just an animal"
That's a heart breaking mentality. I hope one day they realize exactly what statement they're making about themselves as a person when they say things like that.

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.
#37 Old 10-05-2015, 12:22 AM
the ever sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotInCommand View Post
There is no harm in educating. Like you have all said, those hypocrites possess good potential of becoming vegetarians themselves. I, myself, did know that meat comes from slaughtered animals, but I did not know that death could be so excruciating and painful. I remembered my mom slicing chicken for our dinner, and saw my mom tearing apart the ribs and legs. I realized how disgusting and cruel that was. I know that the chicken was dead, but to have a body torn in such a disrespectful way and bones tossed into the bin, and go on as if the animal never existed in the first place, was disgusting. These are sentient beings. The same goes for all animals reared for food. It is cruel either ways, whether humanely slaughtered or not, because animals of course, die without consent. It is unnecessary to put so much suffering on the dinner table just to have one meal. Sowing a rice field farmed is so much more eco-friendly and could feed thousands of people. Farming meat causes greenhouse gas emissions and can only feed hundreds of people.

I try and educate people where meat comes from, and question if they were comfortable with the aspect that the "meat" was once female/male, had a mother/father and was a cute, intelligent and friendly creature. I don't think many people are comfortable with that aspect, since many people hate seeing the animal's head on their plates. Showing them footages of cruelty can open their eyes to how cruel humans can be, and greedy. And the saying "if slaughterhouse factories had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian" is very true. People cannot be immune to any of this knowledge and not know where meat comes from. If we don't educate and show them how animals become processed food, it is equivalent to pulling a woolen blanket over their eyes.

If I could, I would go back and like this a bajillion times more. Since I can't, I'll just bold up my favorite bits.

Incidentally, successfully got the husband to watch Earthlings with me. I had already seen it before... But there are several scenes that really make me cry, and it wasn't any different tonight. In particular the amount of unnecessary and deplorable enjoyment some of those employees took in hurting the animals even before their death. I remember Oprah got the Cargill company to let her camera crew in to see part of the slaughter house while it was in action, and I remember the Cargill representative saying multiple times,
Spoiler
"We treat our animals with the dignity they deserve and always try to make it as humane as possible, to keep them as stress free,"etc.
And in nearly all the filmed shots within the slaughterhouse in Earthlings,
Spoiler
the screaming at the piglets, clubbing them, kicking the hens, joking about not clubbing hard enough
, it hurts. It hurts to watch. It hurts to watch
Spoiler
people not just partake in a job like that, but to actively enjoy it and seem to relish the idea of being their end.
It hurts knowing that Opera's camera crew were well prepared for, and that there's a decent chance that there are people exactly like that in every factory.

I dunno. I completely understand the notion to feel resentful to people who say, "Oh yeah, that's a bad situation, I really like those little guys, I hope things get better," and have no desire to want to be apart of the making things better. I can even empathize with it, especially when it comes to my own family. Oddly, I'm far more critical when it comes to them than when it comes to strangers. Not just in situations where it comes to animals, but racism as well (my mother in particular is terrible when it comes to racism, and is one of the first people to deny it by claiming how much she says she loves the _____ culture, blah blah blah).

And now I'm rambling.
Sorry for the annoying spoiler tags, wanted to block anything that might be triggering.
VeggieSince88 likes this.

Last edited by Sadrielle; 10-05-2015 at 12:24 AM.
#38 Old 10-05-2015, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

My mom is visiting us this week. Last night we were ordering Indian food and she wanted a chicken dish. I asked her why she wasn't ordering a vegetarian dish since she's expressed a desire to stop eating animals and her excuses were ridiculous: "I haven't eaten in a while, I need to eat something that will fit in (?), I don't know if I'll like Indian food so I have to order something that I know I like." I suggested she do that with potatoes rather than chicken and she didn't have a response. This morning I told her what happens to cows and chickens in the dairy and egg industry and when I mentioned baby chicks being thrown into a meat grinder, she began to cry and told me to stop because I was upsetting her. I asked what was upsetting, the chicks being killed or my telling her about it, and she said that she just wants to not think about it and keep happily eating eggs. I asked why and she said "I like the taste." I asked if the taste was worth paying for something that makes her cry and she said no, and then she said that there is no explanation for why people eat these things even when they would hate to hurt animals, so she can't possibly explain it to me. The whole conversation was incredibly frustrating. Sometimes I just want to shake her and say "Order the potatoes, for f**k's sake! It's that easy!"
VeggieSince88 and Marjoram like this.
#39 Old 10-05-2015, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
totally 1000% agree with you. My sissy loooooooooves animals and wants to be an animal EMT, but she said that steak is too good and that's why she won't go vegetarian. But I used to be the same way so I guess it would be hypocritical of me to criticize her wouldn't it?
Did you have the benefit of someone criticizing you? If not, then no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose
This morning I told her what happens to cows and chickens in the dairy and egg industry and when I mentioned baby chicks being thrown into a meat grinder, she began to cry and told me to stop because I was upsetting her.
HahahahahhahahahahahhhNO.

Quote:
I asked what was upsetting, the chicks being killed or my telling her about it, and she said that she just wants to not think about it and keep happily eating eggs.
*facepalm*

Quote:
I asked why and she said "I like the taste." I asked if the taste was worth paying for something that makes her cry
Excellent question!

Quote:
and she said no,
Alright! Now we can add another vegan to the team!

Quote:
and then she said that there is no explanation for why people eat these things even when they would hate to hurt animals, so she can't possibly explain it to me.
no whey jose and Linky like this.
#40 Old 10-05-2015, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

My mom has the same mentallity. She did reduced a LOT her meat intake but is not ready to dive in. Her best excuse? "I'm too old to change how I eat".... what the heck age has to do with eating meat or not? Yeah, they will find ANY excuses to not stop eating it, they prefer to refuse to watch the videos and listen to facts and try hard to forget what you are saying. Aaaand that is why years after I went vegan my parents sometimes suddenly get concerned about my proteins and nutrients. They forget what I say as soon as I tell them. Total mastered denial.
VeggieSince88 likes this.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#41 Old 10-05-2015, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I see the same thing here with newbies: "Where do I get my protein?" So, how did the cow get its protein. How did the horse, or elephant get its protein. Is it somehow magically that a body can grow without something that another bodies needs (and yes, I understand that animals may have different requirements than others) It was not drinking milk as an adult. How are those cow's bones so strong. Why are human bones weak? It isn't because of eating vegetables. People were not meant to shatter their bones doing some mundane task.

People freak out when they consider that you can get all of your body's requirements through vegetables. "It's impossible, you have to eat meat or you will die!"

It's all cultural Why else do you think that Omnivores will not eat low fat protein insects and grubs either. Not that I believe they deserve ill treatment either, but I feel if you want to eat meat, you should eat insects, grubs, worms. They are all around, they are easy to farm and they do not screw up the environment. So, Why not?
VeggieSince88 and Vegan Dave like this.
#42 Old 10-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
My mom is visiting us this week. Last night we were ordering Indian food and she wanted a chicken dish. I asked her why she wasn't ordering a vegetarian dish since she's expressed a desire to stop eating animals and her excuses were ridiculous: "I haven't eaten in a while, I need to eat something that will fit in (?), I don't know if I'll like Indian food so I have to order something that I know I like." I suggested she do that with potatoes rather than chicken and she didn't have a response. This morning I told her what happens to cows and chickens in the dairy and egg industry and when I mentioned baby chicks being thrown into a meat grinder, she began to cry and told me to stop because I was upsetting her. I asked what was upsetting, the chicks being killed or my telling her about it, and she said that she just wants to not think about it and keep happily eating eggs. I asked why and she said "I like the taste." I asked if the taste was worth paying for something that makes her cry and she said no, and then she said that there is no explanation for why people eat these things even when they would hate to hurt animals, so she can't possibly explain it to me. The whole conversation was incredibly frustrating. Sometimes I just want to shake her and say "Order the potatoes, for f**k's sake! It's that easy!"
What you're describing with your mom is *SO* similar to what I went through with my mom back in the '80s. I was at my most militant back then when it comes to animals, and I didn't hesitate to put things in their most explicit, awful terms. My mom would react by...I don't even know how to word it! It was like she'd dissociate and totally disconnect; she'd get angry and tell me to stop harassing her; it never ended nicely. *shrug* Fast forward to 2006. Both she and I had mellowed a lot. She knew that I was vegetarian, and she had actually used up all meat products before I got here. The house has been vegetarian ever since (with a couple of exceptions). She literally made the change overnight. Oh, sure, there were times she'd say something like, "I'd love a nice hamburger right now!" and I'd roll my eyes like a petulant teenager, and launch into one of my analogies, like "why don't we slaughter one of your cats, butcher them, grind them up, and fry up some nice burgers?!" Problem solved.

Hang in there. REALLY. Hang in there. You need to trust that what you're saying to your mother is sinking in. That's what happened in my case. It didn't LOOK like anything was happening, for a long time, but she actually absorbed what I said over the years, and she saw the way I lived and what kind of [yummy!] food I ate, etc., and when the time was right it all came together. Look, my mother was 82 by the time she turned vegetarian. As long as they're still alive, there's still hope they'll see the light. I know it's frustrating...believe me...I know! But give it time.
no whey jose likes this.
#43 Old 10-05-2015, 11:22 AM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post
My mom has the same mentallity. She did reduced a LOT her meat intake but is not ready to dive in. Her best excuse? "I'm too old to change how I eat".... what the heck age has to do with eating meat or not? Yeah, they will find ANY excuses to not stop eating it, they prefer to refuse to watch the videos and listen to facts and try hard to forget what you are saying. Aaaand that is why years after I went vegan my parents sometimes suddenly get concerned about my proteins and nutrients. They forget what I say as soon as I tell them. Total mastered denial.
Keep this in mind: my mom was 82 when she made the change. 82! You might want to tell your mother that it's never too late to do the right thing.
no whey jose likes this.
#44 Old 10-05-2015, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom is turning 72 this year, I'll tell her about your mom!

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#45 Old 10-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita
"Where do I get my protein?"
Got this one last week. Ironically I had just recently read a post by Tiger Lily referring to a book called "But You Kill Ants". I looked it up, contacted the author, and got a copy shipped to me from Australia.

I said, "You know it's funny, I just got this book which offers shorthand answers to 100 of the most common questions leveled at veganism. Guess what the first question is?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram
"I'm too old to change how I eat"
...I have... no answer.

I can't think of anything... my mind is just...

#46 Old 10-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Captain

Did any one face palm when they played "Farm Frenzy"? You can raise animals there, just like getting eggs from chickens and milk from cows. When you get to the pig, it will drop off a piece of bacon without harm and continues to move and happily eat grass as if nothing happened! Probably it's what those omnivorous hypocrites think animals frolicking happily around all the while dropping pieces of bacon everywhere.
Vegan Dave and no whey jose like this.
#47 Old 10-06-2015, 06:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Did any one face palm when they played "Farm Frenzy"? You can raise animals there, just like getting eggs from chickens and milk from cows. When you get to the pig, it will drop off a piece of bacon without harm and continues to move and happily eat grass as if nothing happened!
Oh, are we talkin' about games now? Cool. Here's some nifty veg*n-related stuff in games I play:

MINECRAFT
Minecraft is designed to be a survival game. On your first day you'll be moving quick to find a good spot to roost, but it will consume your stamina quickly. Once you run out of stamina you can't run and your health drains until one hit, you're dead.

The only way to regenerate health is to eat and the easiest way to do so it to beat a sheep, cow, or pig to death and eat it. The best alternatives are either to get lucky and find an apple tree which MIGHT give you Apples, or to beat up enough grass to plant Wheat and then wait long enough to begin starving before you can harvest grain from it which you can then bake into Bread.

If that proves too difficult, you're one hit away from death and if you die you respawn ALL THE WAY back to your respawn point, usually far away from your shelter and any of the items you dropped when you die (which is everything you're carrying). What you're SUPPOSED to do is make a bed and sleep in it, which sets your respawn point at the bed. However the only way to make a bed is out of Blocks of Wool.

The fastest way to collect Blocks of Wool is to murder sheep.

The most efficient way to collect Wool is to make Shears and cut Wool off of sheep, however Shears require Iron and Iron is a finite resource you'll likely only find after committing to a serious mineshaft.

The most ETHICAL way to collect Wool is to survive long enough for Spiders to spawn and attack you. If you kill Spiders they have a 66% chance of dropping at least 1 String. 4 String make a Block of Wool and you need 3 Wool to make a bed. That means you need to kill approximately 20 Spiders to make a Bed and just one Spider can easily sneak up and murder you.

It's a severe handicap, but this how I always play Minecraft.

THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM
Skyrim has many modes of travel, but one of the most ideal is to ride by horse. It allows you to experience dynamic events in the world that you'd miss if you fast travel, but at a faster pace than running. There're also paid horse-drawn carriage rides for more roleplay-esque travel.

I never hire them though, I pretty much always join the Companions and turn into a Werewolf which allows me to sprint faster than any horse. It also lets me run straight up to the stableowners and carriage drivers and eat them. Actually, I make a point of murdering every non-vegan I can find in Skyrim.

"I've been hunting and fishing in these parts for years!" *stock dialog*

*unsheathes battleaxe*

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: OCARINA OF TIME
Zelda games are rarely vegan by any stretch, from riding Epona, to capturing wild fairies in jars, to collecting frog eyeballs, to eating ghosts. However anyone here who hasn't played Ocarina of Time should know that this game, commonly considered to be the greatest game of all time, features what is perhaps the most glorious karmic backlash ever seen from barnyard animals.

Cuckoos are the common name for chickens in the game. And they are invincible. If you slash them with your sword they will shriek and run away. At this point particularly vindictive players learned the hard way what happens when you abuse an animal. If you strike any Cuckoo three times, it will call for it's brethren which will swarm the screen and descend upon Link to murder his ass. There's no killing them or stopping them. The only solution is to run away.

This karmic backlash is almost as notorious as Link's Awakening shopkeeper, who if you walk into his store, take something and then leave without paying, then revisit later, he will make Link eat ball lightning. Instant death. No saving throws. Game over.

THE SIMS 3
The Sims 3 introduces a new mechanic called traits which basically give your Sims personality quirks. One of them is Vegetarian. Being Vegetarian allows Sims to cook special vegetarian meals with the Cooking skill. That Sim can also complain about meat to other Sims while other Sims can either applaud or mock their vegetarianism.

They can mock all they want however since even though Vegetarian Sims get sick from eating meat, they actually live longer than other Sims.

ANY VIVA PINATA GAME EVER
Perhaps one of the most bizarre and disturbing games when you think about it. Everyone's a pinata. You're a gardener. You "win" the game by creating a garden that attracts the most pinatas. That seems simple enough, but you realize the only way to get the most out of the game is to breed the pinatas.
And the only way to breed the pinatas is to make them horny.
And the often the only way to make them horny is to smack 'em around or make them eat each other.
But you don't know which pinatas they like to eat, so it's trial and error.
And even if they lay an egg, it'll only hatch if you hit it.
And if you hit it wrong, you might kill the baby inside.
WHAT AM I PLAYING!?

ANY HARVEST MOON GAME EVER
**** Harvest Moon. Seriously. The whole point of the game is to slowly and meticulously, day by day, raise a farm, plants, animals, and all, so you can raise enough money to woo one of the stereotypically dateable girls in town, have sex with her, make a baby and then quit playing because there's nothing else to do.

I'll admit the plant-a-seed-and-watch-it-grow game mechanics were interesting and I really liked the idea of building a farm from the ground up with every day offering new events and changes to the game world, but no, I can't look at this game fondly anymore, it's just stupid.

ANY POKEMON GAME EVER
Non-humans are Pokemon. You're a Pokemon trainer! Catch them all and make them fight until they faint! Yay! Pokemon is the friggen' weird video game poster boy for welfarism, saying "catch 'em all to become a Pokemon Master!" in the same breath as "Pokemon and us share a special bond, Pokemon are our friends!" and likewise if you've heard anything from PETA in the past few years, you might know they went after Pokemon and actually created their own ripoff Pokemon game in which you play the Pokemon, broken and abused, as they violently rebel against their trainers.

A lot of people made fun of it, but it was strangely appropriate considering how much slack-jawed stupidity goes into and comes out of the Pokemon series.

ANY DRAGON QUEST: MONSTERS GAME EVER
The significantly less popular Pokemon game. Dragon Quest: Monsters is also a monster collection game, but they immediately make a FIRM distinction between themselves and Pokemon:

You don't CAPTURE monsters. You SCOUT them. In Pokemon the goal is to beat and batter every Pokemon down until it's near death and then capture it when it can barely resist. In DQM, if you want a monster on your team, you don't hurt it, you scout it by performing your single strongest non-damaging attack in an attempt to impress them. If they like you, they'll join you. It's completely consensual. It's also a hell of a lot harder in DQM.

You also don't BREED monsters. You SYNTHESIZE them. It seems a minor distinction, but I prefer DQM's approach. In Pokemon, you leave two Pokemon together in a Daycare Center in attempt for them to have sex and lay eggs for you which can hatch into another Pokemon for you to subjugate. In DQM, you're literally combining two monsters into a bigger, cooler one, usually one obviously higher on the food chain than you. And unlike Pokemon, you're rewarded for taking care of the monsters you have with you.

EVERY ASSASSIN'S CREED GAME EVER
I must be the only one who notices, but the Assassins are total dicks to horses.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Opening: Ezio slices a horse's front legs with his rapier.

Assassin's Creed 3 Opening: Connor rides a horse directly into a hailstorm of English musket fire.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate Opening: Jacob whips and drowns two horses in a river.

LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
#48 Old 10-06-2015, 02:46 PM

I think you need to volunteer some of your spare time at an RSPCA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#49 Old 10-06-2015, 02:58 PM
the ever sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Oh, are we talkin' about games now? Cool. Here's some nifty veg*n-related stuff in games I play:

ANY HARVEST MOON GAME EVER
**** Harvest Moon. Seriously. The whole point of the game is to slowly and meticulously, day by day, raise a farm, plants, animals, and all, so you can raise enough money to woo one of the stereotypically dateable girls in town, have sex with her, make a baby and then quit playing because there's nothing else to do.

I'll admit the plant-a-seed-and-watch-it-grow game mechanics were interesting and I really liked the idea of building a farm from the ground up with every day offering new events and changes to the game world, but no, I can't look at this game fondly anymore, it's just stupid.
Playing harvest moon is like watching cement set in.

but I must admit, it's a guilty pleasure that i find highly addictive. I wish the games were more interesting, but they're not. the N64 version has yet to be beat, IMO. The characters felt more realistic and less like cardboard personalities.

#50 Old 10-06-2015, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Everybody is hypocritical about something(s) at some stage.
TailFin and Beautiful Joe like this.
#51 Old 10-06-2015, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
Everybody is hypocritical about something(s) at some stage.

Agreed. Most of us ate meat at some point in our lives, and thus lived with that same disconnect that we are now condemning in others.

We should probably be praising those omnis who really don't give a flying fig about any nonhuman; they at least aren't hypocrites.
#52 Old 10-06-2015, 05:03 PM
Captain

I played Harvest Moon. There was no meat produced, of course except fish. I would imagine that a lot of hypocrites play this game. They said that any meat production would ruin the innocence of the game. Ironically, this game harvests a lot of these hypocritical "animal lovers".
#53 Old 10-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Captain

And meat eaters distance themselves from guilt and any emotional attachment. They never give those animals reared for meat names.
#54 Old 10-06-2015, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
And meat eaters distance themselves from guilt and any emotional attachment. They never give those animals reared for meat names.
Not true, actually. Pretty much every animal who is raised as part of a 4H project, for example, is given a name, and they almost all end up slaughtered for meat. Sure, animals in factory farms aren't named, but it's not unusual for small scale or hobby farmers to name the animals.

I don't understand it myself, but it happens.

Another example - most race horses end up slaughtered, and they all have names.
#55 Old 10-06-2015, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex JB
I think you need to volunteer some of your spare time at an RSPCA!
Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadrielle
the N64 version has yet to be beat, IMO. The characters felt more realistic and less like cardboard personalities.
You're probably right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe
Agreed. Most of us ate meat at some point in our lives, and thus lived with that same disconnect that we are now condemning in others.
Did we all have the benefit of someone condemning us?

Quote:
We should probably be praising those omnis who really don't give a flying fig about any nonhuman;
*cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotInCommand
I played Harvest Moon. There was no meat produced, of course except fish. I would imagine that a lot of hypocrites play this game. They said that any meat production would ruin the innocence of the game. Ironically, this game harvests a lot of these hypocritical "animal lovers".
Huh. I didn't think Harvest Moon would be so easily recognized on here.
#56 Old 10-07-2015, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I think focusing on the action rather than the person may be more beneficial. "Hate the sin but love the sinner" and all that...
LedBoots likes this.
#57 Old 10-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah, "condemning" people really does wonders. It is indeed a great benefit - ask anyone who has been continuously shamed. No wonder veg*nism is compared to extremist religions, with this mindset.
#58 Old 10-07-2015, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg
I think focusing on the action rather than the person may be more beneficial. "Hate the sin but love the sinner" and all that...
Up until they make it personal and instead of addressing the issue they get irrationally defensive.

Quote:
Yeah, "condemning" people really does wonders.
I was only mirroring the words I was replying to. "Criticism" works better in either context.

I only say so because prior to going vegan I was guilty of not thinking about the issue despite favoring vegetarianism for ethical reasons. Had someone else approached me and pointed out the flaws in my reasoning, knowing how I react to constructive criticism, I'm certain I would have gone vegan much sooner. All I ever really needed was the matter returned to my attention and the logical gaps highlighted.

Quote:
It is indeed a great benefit - ask anyone who has been continuously shamed.
Refer above.

Quote:
No wonder veg*nism is compared to extremist religions, with this mindset.
Okay seriously, refer above.
#59 Old 10-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Up until they make it personal and instead of addressing the issue they get irrationally defensive.
If making it personal is not the way to go, then how does responding to someone by acting in a similar fashion resolve anything?
#60 Old 10-08-2015, 01:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
If making it personal is not the way to go, then how does responding to someone by acting in a similar fashion resolve anything?
You really lost me here. Acting in a similar fashion to what? Making it personal? By doing what?

Are you referring to the "condemn" line? That's really confusing because I was referring to the meat-eater making it personal and getting defensive, so you're saying how should they respond to US getting irrationally defensive? WHAT?

Let me try and break this down.

Quote:
If making it personal is not the way to go, ("If meat-eaters shouldn't become irrationally defensive")
Quote:
then how does responding to someone ("then how does responding to veg*ns")
Quote:
by acting in a similar fashion ("by becoming irrationally defensive")
Quote:
resolve anything? ("resolve anything?")
I have no friggen' clue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page