Ask A Vegan: Passionate Vegan Musings... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-10-2004, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I just wanted to start a VEGAN thread where it was okay to be intense and passionate about veganism without anyone getting angry or hurt, so I thought starting one that is an OPEN, anything goes thread for MILITANT VEGANS! (within BOARD rules, naturally. No being intentionally mean or rude in relation to specific posts or persons.)

So, here goes..I'll start it out...

What do you think about EGGS and the reality of what they are, especially when compared to the "human" counterpart?

Do they gross you out? Why?

Do you understand why people eat them? Have you had any interesting conversations with flesh-eaters about this?

Is it hard to be around people eating them?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-10-2004, 07:11 PM

Let me start out by saying that eggs without one iota of a doubt gross me out. Look at what they are; an unfertilized egg of an animal. They look disgusting when cooked or opened and smell horrid. They are not by any means good for your health. Beyond all of that, 90% of the eggs that make it to the market are from chickens that are insanely abused and "live" in battery cages. All this abuse for, on average, one egg every 24 hours. For further details, I suggest reading ... Vegan: "The New Ethics of Eating" by Erik Marcus. There is a chapter devoted to bringing to light the abuse egg laying chickens go through.

Even as an omni, I never liked eggs and would avoid products with eggs in them. I never understood why people thought of them as a food.
#3 Old 08-10-2004, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelsRule View Post

Let me start out by saying that eggs without one iota of a doubt gross me out. Look at what they are; an unfertilized egg of an animal.

Even as an omni, I never liked eggs and would avoid products with eggs in them. I never understood why people thought of them as a food.

Me too! I feel the same way!

I once said this to a friend/client who successfully made the transition to a vegan diet (while under my supervision) except when she occasionally ate things with eggs in them:

" You might as well suck on a TAMPON!" :vomit:

She says that everytime she sees an egg, she hears me say those words. and I consider my job to be done...

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-10-2004, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes with my good friends, (the kinds that know that I'm only messing around, and not being a vegan cop) I ask if they'd consider chicken semen for breakfast some day, considering how delicious the eggs are.
#5 Old 08-10-2004, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

That's great! Very close to the other *crude* thing I said to the same client/friend:

"You might as well suck off a cow" which really grossed her out! (she's lesbian)

#6 Old 08-10-2004, 08:46 PM

I like the way this thread is going so far. Great points OV abnd Nirvana.

<--- Speaking of sucking off a cow. Ewwwwwww.
#7 Old 08-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Hehe I'm sure Artichoke will enjoy this thread I don't understand why eggs are appealing to some people...they are what they are: chicken eggs. If they put chicken semen on a menu, no one would eat it. So, why do they put eggs? lol
#8 Old 08-11-2004, 12:37 AM
Beginner

say, "how's that end product of a chicken's overarian cycle tasting?" ... "starting to taste squishy and ooie in your mouth?" ... "I'm sorry I ruined your breakfast." ... "I've got pancakes!"
#9 Old 08-11-2004, 05:23 AM
Veggie Regular

well I must admit that eggs are one thing I do miss, I didn't stop eating them because they were gross, but because of ther terrible way the chickens have to live. Generally I think that is a more powerful way of convincing most people that what they are eating is not good. Some people get angry when you talk about how nasty and unhealthy the stuff they eat is. Needless to say, if I had my own chickens that I loved and cared for, I would use their eggs. I can understand why some people would think that is gross, but I don't really think ovulation is that disgusting either... maybe it's just because I am a woman and I'm used to it.
#10 Old 08-11-2004, 06:00 AM

wise words, citronella.
#11 Old 08-11-2004, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Citronella, as I said earlier, I would never say that to anyone I didn't know very well. I merely mess around with my close friends like that.
#12 Old 08-11-2004, 06:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Same here. I kinda think that when you say something is really gross that someone else finds really delicious, it makes it a little easier for them to distance themselves from your point of view. (Unless of course they know you're just joking around with them.) "Oh, no wonder you don't eat eggs then if you find them so disgusting. That's why I don't eat brocolli." I don't find eggs disgusting, but I do find the conditions on factory farms are unacceptable. If I'm going to take food from an animal, I at least want the animal to have lived a decent life. That said, the only egg product I really miss are deviled eggs.
#13 Old 08-11-2004, 06:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Plus you just sound like a militant vegan nut-job.^ When I'm with people I don't know well or at all, and my veganism comes up, I'm actually very laid back and polite about it. I would never insult or try to gross someone out.
#14 Old 08-11-2004, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana19105 View Post

Plus you just sound like a militant vegan nut-job.^ When I'm with people I don't know well or at all, and my veganism comes up, I'm actually very laid back and polite about it. I would never insult or try to gross someone out.

Exactly. I would never say any of the above things to an omni or anyone who I wasn't close with. That would be unkind and tacky. I do wonder though, how it doesn't seem unnatural to egg-eaters to eat

I do not find ovulation disgusting! I think that it is a powerful and sacred happening. I have sat in Moon lodge with 34 other women of all ages (10-74) talking about our experience with our cycles while having a Sacred Sweat Ceremony. I know the power of the feminine, be it animal or human. I just know that I choose not to consume this energy, when it belongs to a chicken, because that is unnatural to me. It is like a cannibalism of sorts.

#15 Old 08-11-2004, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicVegan View Post

Exactly. I would never say any of the above things to an omni or anyone who I wasn't close with. That would be unkind and tacky. I do wonder though, how it doesn't seem unnatural to egg-eaters to eat

why would it seem unnatural, when it's not? gross, yes, but not "unnatural."
#16 Old 08-11-2004, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I believe it is unnatural to take anything from another species and consume it.

#17 Old 08-11-2004, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

many, many, many animals eat other species' eggs. you can't claim something is unnatural just because you think it is unethical.
#18 Old 08-11-2004, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Not butterflies.
#19 Old 08-11-2004, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynaffit View Post

many, many, many animals eat other species' eggs. you can't claim something is unnatural just because you think it is unethical.

Yeah, well many other animals lick their *******s too, but I won't be doing that anytime soon...

I can claim it is unnatural because I feel it is unnatural.

I can claim it is unnatural because our bodies were not designed to break down other species' proteins and such.

I can claim it is unnatural because if it were a fertilized egg, it would have grown into a baby chick.

I can claim it is unnatural because I want to do so.

I can claim it is unnatural, which has nothing to do with my ethical stance on the issue.

I can claim it is unnatural here, because this is the VEGAN, pro-vegan-mindset thread.

#20 Old 08-11-2004, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I can claim it is unnatural here, because this is the VEGAN, pro-vegan-mindset thread.

i am offended that you are connecting an illogical claim that denies the obvious with veganism, in a way that implies that it is THE "vegan" way of thinking.
#21 Old 08-11-2004, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

You can claim it's unnatural to poop, cause it's gross. But that doesn't make it unnatural. You can hold all the opinions that you want, but that doesn't make them true. This is of course a pro-vegan thread, and eating eggs does not fit into any traditional definitions of veganism, militant or not. But the unnatural arguments are really just opinions.
#22 Old 08-11-2004, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

*whistles* wow, this is exactly what i thought would happen to this thread; it just happened a lot quicker than i thought it would!
#23 Old 08-11-2004, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuko View Post

*whistles* wow, this is exactly what i thought would happen to this thread; it just happened a lot quicker than i thought it would!

ditto.
#24 Old 08-11-2004, 09:21 AM

I feel it'll be the mamma of drama's!

Meltdown to begin in 5, 4, 3, 2,........
#25 Old 08-11-2004, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

You can claim it's unnatural to poop, cause it's gross. But that doesn't make it unnatural. You can hold all the opinions that you want, but that doesn't make them true. This is of course a pro-vegan thread, and eating eggs does not fit into any traditional definitions of veganism, militant or not. But the unnatural arguments are really just opinions.

I don't think pooping is gross. I don't think menstruation is gross. I think it's gross to EAT any of the results of these normal, healthy bodily functions.

How is it natural to eat something that comes from another creature? I want to understand why anyone feels this.

#26 Old 08-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I believe it is unnatural to take anything from another species and consume it.

If y'all will look, you'll se I did not say that this is a scientifically proven FACt...I said " I believe" and in another place "I feel". I never said I am right and everyone else is wrong, so any issues anyone has with my OPINION is a separate issue.

I would like for anyone who feels this way to speak up and tell me why. I honsetly would like to hear from them, because I am seeking tounderstand why anyone would think it was "natural" to eat anything from an amimal other than a human animal...

#27 Old 08-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

No one said anything about eating excrement. Gross.

There is a difference between unnatural and unethical. There is a difference between unnatural and unappealing. And I think that the vegan argument is less about what's "natural" and more about beliefs.

Quote:

I can claim it is unnatural because I want to do so.

Arguments like this undermine the vegan cause in my opinion.
#28 Old 08-11-2004, 10:08 AM

The thing that turns me off to eggs the most is the fate of the male chicks. I saw a picture (on www.factoryfarming.com , I think ) of a dumpster filled with baby chicks. If the dairy industry thinks I want an invitation to that party, they can kiss my

Seriously, even if eggs were the tastiest food on earth...

The Rev
#29 Old 08-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Banned

I thought this was a passionate vegan musings thread. Where are the moderators at? This thread is for vegans expressing themselves. For those that want to argue, why don't they go to the Heap?
#30 Old 08-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

And I think that the vegan argument is less about what's "natural" and more about beliefs.

Arguments like this undermine the vegan cause in my opinion.

Your statements contradict one another. I am saying it is unnatural AND it goes against my beliefs. How does standing up for my beliefs and stating them (eggs are unhealthy and eating them is unnatural and unethical) undermine the "vegan cause" ? I don't understand your logic...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page