Bacon Lovers Meet Tiny Piglets For The First Time - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 118Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 09-30-2015, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Bacon Lovers Meet Tiny Piglets For The First Time



Quote:
We told some die hard bacon lovers that they would be taste testing some gourmet bacon, but instead, we surprised them with a tiny piglet!
Read the rest and watch the video here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/alexchoi/bac...me#.dujdYKKK8Z

Aww, this is adorable! I'm honestly not sure if this was made to convince people to go vegetarian or not... It looks like it might have made those people think though.
Tom, Purp, LedBoots and 3 others like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Last edited by Werewolf Girl; 09-30-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Werewolf Girl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 09-30-2015, 02:45 PM
Newbie
 
vegan_glowies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 18
Aw this is cute!! Most people would rather not be confronted with the faces of the meat they eat. I have someone close to me that goes "awww" and does the little "it's so cute I'm dying" dance about every animal, but has to eat meat at every meal. It's kind of annoying.
vegan_glowies is offline  
#3 Old 09-30-2015, 03:29 PM
androgyne | vegan
 
cris gabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 30
You know, what really confuses me is not only how all the still 'carnivore' people can be so ignorant and too stupid to open their eyes/minds to see it once for good they don't really need that old traditional menu anymore; not in this era, guys..!
Anyway, what it bugs me though, ever more, are the vegan, pure vegan, folks, who like to 'pretend' having their same traditional feasts, looking like, within the actual restricted taste.
'Bacon' made out of soy, salami made out of... I don't know what - something vegetal anyway.. etc. I exclude from here the soy 'milk' because that is not a fancy thing, but you get my point with many other.. cosmeticised menus..
Purp likes this.
cris gabi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 09-30-2015, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by cris gabi View Post
You know, what really confuses me is not only how all the still 'carnivore' people can be so ignorant and too stupid to open their eyes/minds to see it once for good they don't really need that old traditional menu anymore; not in this era, guys..!
Anyway, what it bugs me though, ever more, are the vegan, pure vegan, folks, who like to 'pretend' having their same traditional feasts, looking like, within the actual restricted taste.
'Bacon' made out of soy, salami made out of... I don't know what - something vegetal anyway.. etc. I exclude from here the soy 'milk' because that is not a fancy thing, but you get my point with many other.. cosmeticised menus..
If it's vegan, who cares? People who like bacon like a salty, smoky taste with a crispy texture. Vegans are perfectly capable of also enjoying salty, smoky tastes with crispy textures, and it's possible to achieve this using soy and other plant proteins. I don't see the problem, do you?
no whey jose is offline  
#5 Old 09-30-2015, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Purp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,789
no whey jose likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Purp is offline  
#6 Old 10-01-2015, 12:32 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Shallot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
If it's vegan, who cares? People who like bacon like a salty, smoky taste with a crispy texture. Vegans are perfectly capable of also enjoying salty, smoky tastes with crispy textures, and it's possible to achieve this using soy and other plant proteins. I don't see the problem, do you?
mmmm salty & crispy (thinking purple corn kale crisps right now ... I feel a trip to whole foods coming on)
Purp and no whey jose like this.
Shallot is offline  
#7 Old 10-01-2015, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Shallot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 437
Also - piglets! So cute!! Almost as adorable as baby elephants (sure the most ridiculous babies in the world - slaying me with their epic cuteness).

I think it's the noses ... it's the way they move.
Purp, LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
Shallot is offline  
#8 Old 10-01-2015, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallot View Post
mmmm salty & crispy (thinking purple corn kale crisps right now ... I feel a trip to whole foods coming on)
Smoked almonds, too! @melimomTARDIS turned me onto those as a bacon-y foodstuff.
Purp likes this.
no whey jose is offline  
#9 Old 10-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Don't Eat Animals.
 
Vegan Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,291
I guess I watched too many PETA videos.....not that that is a bad thing.....

Bacon equals pigs....

Beef equals cows...

Buffalo wings are chickens....

You get the gist.

Look at the big picture.

That "chicken nugget" you just ate came from a........chicken.

Come on people.......

At least some people are waking up to the fact that the animals that they are eating are actually sentient beings....that deserve respect.

It's so simple.
Purp, no whey jose and warriormama like this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.

Last edited by Vegan Dave; 10-01-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Vegan Dave is offline  
#10 Old 10-01-2015, 06:28 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
A couple of those guys even had tears in their eyes...
aprilrain and Purp like this.

Last edited by LedBoots; 10-01-2015 at 06:53 PM.
LedBoots is offline  
#11 Old 10-01-2015, 10:34 PM
androgyne | vegan
 
cris gabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I don't see the problem, do you?
As a matter of fact I do. That's why I wrote the previous post, right?..
I don't try to promote the raw veganism 'doctrine', whilst I'm not an adept of this thing, at all.
But I am saying it, and no one can convince me I speak wrong, that there is no similar taste, in food. As everything within us it has uniqueness, our fine ability of distinguishing a taste/flavor, by another, it is as well something we don't have to pretend we don't acknowledge, only by lying ourselves. Those who still try to 'build' meat out of vegetables simply try to combine utility and pleasure. And I don't agree them, because I don't consider necessary, eating meat. It is not, necessary. If it is, for some, they just can go eat meat. No big deal. Than to lie themselves, by cheating their senses. At least trying to do it. The vegetables can be 'shaped' and cooked in 'thousands' of ways, why to make them look like meat products?... Just rhetorical asking...
Sorry if I offended anyone. I really didn't try to hit into any, by saying this, I just try maybe to make a point, that would open into a good idea for some people. For instance my sister was doing this, and since I told her, that I find it useless, she first took it bad, but then found it interesting to try some new, more tasty ways, to cook vegan food.
Again, no offense, to any. Especially to the initiator of the topic, that I went a bit 'off', with this subject.
cris gabi is offline  
#12 Old 10-02-2015, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by cris gabi View Post
But I am saying it, and no one can convince me I speak wrong, that there is no similar taste, in food. As everything within us it has uniqueness, our fine ability of distinguishing a taste/flavor, by another, it is as well something we don't have to pretend we don't acknowledge, only by lying ourselves. Those who still try to 'build' meat out of vegetables simply try to combine utility and pleasure. And I don't agree them, because I don't consider necessary, eating meat. It is not, necessary. If it is, for some, they just can go eat meat. No big deal. Than to lie themselves, by cheating their senses. At least trying to do it. The vegetables can be 'shaped' and cooked in 'thousands' of ways, why to make them look like meat products?... Just rhetorical asking...
This reminds me of those who ask lesbians why they don't just date men if they're going to date butch women. I don't eat meat because it's a dead animal, which is unethical and disgusting. Veggie burgers are neither of those things. Why should meat eaters hold a monopoly on patty-shaped protein in a bun, or crispy, fatty protein at breakfast? Should I not enjoy cafe lattes made with soya milk or ice cream made of coconut milk? What about pies and cakes-- aren't they imitations of non-vegan foods? I like a nice vegetable stir fry as much as anyone, but I wouldn't want to give up my vegan chili, pancakes, candy bars, sushi, stuffing, cheesecake, biscuits, etc just because they superficially resemble animal products. If no animals are harmed, why should anyone care?
no whey jose is offline  
#13 Old 10-02-2015, 03:25 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,609
My husband (who is technically an omnivore but eats vegetarian at home) loves my vegan taco "meat" (red lentils, cooked bulgur wheat, onion, tomato paste, spices) more than ground "beef". He says it doesn't leave an aftertaste or greasiness in his mouth and has a very nice texture and flavor. He also loves vegan Just Mayo far more than the traditional commercial mayonnaise brands with eggs. If it means he eats fewer animals and contributes less toward the animal farming industry, I am all for it!

There are those who argue that vegetarian foods that "mimic" omni foods are inferior in taste and nutrition (both a lie) and that it just encourages the idea that vegetarians must miss animal foods and it must be such a sacrifice to not eat them. But let me tell you, even as an omnivore years ago I loved veggie burgers far more than meat ones, and I started drinking plant milks back in 2001 due to how absolutely sick dairy milk made me (even when I tried lactose free milk). I found that I liked them much more. My Dad, who is an omnivore, drinks exclusively plant based milk also and prefers it.

I don't think the mimicking of animal foods is really so much about taste and what one missed as an omni as much as it is a cultural thing. "Hot dogs" are an American thing, and people who grew up with them have fond memories revolving around these types of food, not because of their taste or ingredients, but the context they are eaten in. Maybe it was a hot summer day at a ball game, or a backyard bbq with friends and neighbors. Veggie "dogs" are a bridge that help people feel like they can still be a part of that culture but without the cruelty that comes along with animal agriculture. Just a theory anyway. I don't eat a ton of imitation types of foods myself, but I do love my plant milks almost daily (including making my own). I think it is very much a cultural thing. I grew up with milk at every meal and in cereal and so on. I am just so used to it. Plant milk bridges that gap, while also providing a convenient way to get nutritional needs met. I don't just rely on that though.

I used to be really anti meat imitation products when I first went vegan and avoided them (except for the plant milk lol) for the first few years, especially the vegan cheeses and "meats". I wanted to eat totally differently and reject the culture I grew up in. Over time though I relaxed my attitude and starting seeing a lot of value in them and I started incorporating them from time to time. Sometimes for no other reason than to support the cause of companies like Beyond Meat who are trying to make a positive difference for animals and the environment and bring veganism to the mainstream.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#14 Old 10-02-2015, 03:55 AM
androgyne | vegan
 
cris gabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
This reminds me of those who ask lesbians why they don't just date men if they're going to date butch women. I don't eat meat because it's a dead animal, which is unethical and disgusting. Veggie burgers are neither of those things. Why should meat eaters hold a monopoly on patty-shaped protein in a bun, or crispy, fatty protein at breakfast? Should I not enjoy cafe lattes made with soya milk or ice cream made of coconut milk? What about pies and cakes-- aren't they imitations of non-vegan foods? I like a nice vegetable stir fry as much as anyone, but I wouldn't want to give up my vegan chili, pancakes, candy bars, sushi, stuffing, cheesecake, biscuits, etc just because they superficially resemble animal products. If no animals are harmed, why should anyone care?
Darling, I trully understand your point. But I've met too many meat-eaters laughing in my face that we vegans are like those hunters who replace their taxidermy collection with the same shapes made out of gum or even wax. Besides that, I remember before to become a vegan I was considering so pathetic that vegans have pretty much 'nothing' original, of their own. Because is not only about us, of course. We don't want to be a group, that lives a sort of a lifestyle kept forbidden for anyone else. We want if possible all the world to change. But to change into what?... Imagine a Ferrari owner who you want to convince to give up that polluting monster of 500HP gasoline 'tractor' engine, by trying to 'sell' him the idea of a Ferrari that looks the same, but has an electrical motor, that has 500HP but sounds like a bee.. You better make him get the point by pointing him towards an original Prius, or even better a Tesla model S. That is a taken into consideration.
We now look like a bunch of unhappy people which try to imitate an original, 'healthy', lifestyle, by chewing plastic food with adapted to the shape and maybe the taste of the 'normal' food. What are we, in definitive?.. Nostalgic individuals, that considers themselves heroes of the Earth? Or we are reasonable people who live a splendid modern life. You can't just carve shotguns in wood, and on the other side to be a complete pacifist. It looks fake. And I repeat, is not about us. Is about them. We look now unhelped, and unconvincingly/ lame, by pretending we live a 'normal' usual lifestyle. We don't. Is like so many gay, lesbians, or transsexuals consider themselves 'normal', and want to be looked like that. But they are not normal. Why to try to be normal. In fact the very definition of normal is what the majority does/is. That is normal. Why would we want to be 'normal'?.. When we can continue the process of evolution, fasting it up, as safe as possible. But for sure. Sorry for the preach, I know you won't regard it as I do, but this is my motivation, to change!.. not to imitate. I consider meat-eaters some selfish deplorable idiot, and I know they are that, because I've been that, I've been them. So now to simulate their! lifestyle?... I mean, there is just nothing better, any decent 'eco vehicle' out there to replace a stupid Ferrari, with its shapes and sounds, to kick its rear end moving it to old past, to the hot-rod zone?.. We can do better, I think. We need to be something more cool, and genuine, authentic, for to prove we are right. Because we are right, aren't we?...

And I have nothing with soy milk, I already said it, nor with many other vegan food imitates 'normal' food. My post it looked into some people who really try to keep up with their old lifestyle, but having half of the consciousness pleased that they only dream of meat, and taste it through soy flavors, not make any kill. Though, by 'tasting' vegetal bacon, even if only imaginary aren't they thinking (unconsciously) of dead pork?.. Or maybe is just me going too much 'fascist' with this beliefs. Anyway, again, no real offense to any. Peace out..
cris gabi is offline  
#15 Old 10-02-2015, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by cris gabi View Post
Darling, I trully understand your point. But I've met too many meat-eaters laughing in my face that we vegans are like those hunters who replace their taxidermy collection with the same shapes made out of gum or even wax. Besides that, I remember before to become a vegan I was considering so pathetic that vegans have pretty much 'nothing' original, of their own. Because is not only about us, of course. We don't want to be a group, that lives a sort of a lifestyle kept forbidden for anyone else. We want if possible all the world to change. But to change into what?... Imagine a Ferrari owner who you want to convince to give up that polluting monster of 500HP gasoline 'tractor' engine, by trying to 'sell' him the idea of a Ferrari that looks the same, but has an electrical motor, that has 500HP but sounds like a bee.. You better make him get the point by pointing him towards an original Prius, or even better a Tesla model S. That is a taken into consideration.
We now look like a bunch of unhappy people which try to imitate an original, 'healthy', lifestyle, by chewing plastic food with adapted to the shape and maybe the taste of the 'normal' food. What are we, in definitive?.. Nostalgic individuals, that considers themselves heroes of the Earth? Or we are reasonable people who live a splendid modern life. You can't just carve shotguns in wood, and on the other side to be a complete pacifist. It looks fake. And I repeat, is not about us. Is about them. We look now unhelped, and unconvincingly/ lame, by pretending we live a 'normal' usual lifestyle. We don't. Is like so many gay, lesbians, or transsexuals consider themselves 'normal', and want to be looked like that. But they are not normal. Why to try to be normal. In fact the very definition of normal is what the majority does/is. That is normal. Why would we want to be 'normal'?.. When we can continue the process of evolution, fasting it up, as safe as possible. But for sure. Sorry for the preach, I know you won't regard it as I do, but this is my motivation, to change!.. not to imitate. I consider meat-eaters some selfish deplorable idiot, and I know they are that, because I've been that, I've been them. So now to simulate their! lifestyle?... I mean, there is just nothing better, any decent 'eco vehicle' out there to replace a stupid Ferrari, with its shapes and sounds, to kick its rear end moving it to old past, to the hot-rod zone?.. We can do better, I think. We need to be something more cool, and genuine, authentic, for to prove we are right. Because we are right, aren't we?...

And I have nothing with soy milk, I already said it, nor with many other vegan food imitates 'normal' food. My post it looked into some people who really try to keep up with their old lifestyle, but having half of the consciousness pleased that they only dream of meat, and taste it through soy flavors, not make any kill. Though, by 'tasting' vegetal bacon, even if only imaginary aren't they thinking (unconsciously) of dead pork?.. Or maybe is just me going too much 'fascist' with this beliefs. Anyway, again, no real offense to any. Peace out..
Meat eaters aren't deplorable idiots. They're our parents, partners, friends, co-workers, grandmothers. I don't see any issue with sharing an ice cream cone with my husband on a summer day if that ice cream cone happens to be soy-based. It's not a poor imitation of dairy ice cream because, as Naturebound said, I genuinely prefer the taste and because no animals were harmed. I'm not about to boycott my favourite vegan gelato shop out of fear for what meat eaters will think-- although, in my experience, most meat eaters are intrigued by vegan food and often enjoy it once they try it. My omni sister-in-law prefers soy milk in her coffee and my omni husband prefers vegan sausages. These foods are as delicious, more ethical, and often healthier than their animal counterparts.
no whey jose is offline  
#16 Old 10-02-2015, 05:38 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Shallot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 437
Cris gabi

I don't get what you are trying to say. You don't like 'fake meats' (I'm not a big fan of them) but some of us actually like some of the 'fake' products. I reject absolutely that we look 'unhappy' with our replacements or that you can make some sort of value judgement on people's lifestyles because they use 'fake meat'. If it were the case that the 'original' is always 'best' there would be no progress in the world. If the original were always best there'd be no iphone 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 etc. In deed we'd still be chasing down aurochses with flint spears - and dying before we hit 40.

Most omnivore food is vegetable based - because most don't just eat a giant plate of meat. Most of us (no matter what diet we follow) will get flavours from vegetable sources (all herbs & spices, the allium family, strongly flavoured salad leaves or of course the entirely non organic salt). Very little flavour is from just meat. In fact most omnivores balk at eating raw meat and consider it unpalatable - they want to smother it in a sauce and have it fried to oblivion (to mask the flavour of meat - that's just perverse isn't it?). So there's a huge amount of common ground or common original foods. Now some of those foods - once they've been prepared - may have a superficially similarity (the shape?) - but is the Welsh glamorgan sausage 'fake' just because it no longer fits the modern convention of a sausage? It's been around for centuries (according to the guardian probably since the 12th century).
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...organ-sausages

Milk (cow's milk) makes me unwell - lactose intolerance. So soy milk was a revelation for me - it's so yummy. Hazelnut milk is off the menu due to the fact that I will guzzle the whole carton in one sitting (possibly it's the amount of coffee I drink with it that's the real problem). Almond milk - oh yum yum yum - especially in porridge mmmmmm. I am absolutely replacing cow milk with something else. I'm replacing it with something better. Ironically I now drink more soy milk & almond milk than I drank cow's milk - so a replace and increase (and converting the fiance who's drinking less and less cow milk). I look a lot happier drinking soy - and everyone around me is spared the epic flatulence that accompanied cow milk products.

Tofu & seitan (wheat protein) have been around for centuries as well (in tofu's case I think it might be millenia) - and were a way of making a raw ingredient more interesting and versatile, as well as replacing meat. So as a species we've been using 'fake meat' with healthy abandon for hundreds of years before it suddenly became something to criticise.

I'm not actually trying to imitate another life I used to have. I'm improving on it. I'm making my life so much more amazing. I will be less rather than more authentic if I pretend that my life before vegetarianism had no merit. Authentic people tend to accept their flaws and don't hide them. The most authentic people I know don't particularly care what other people say or think about them - because it doesn't inform their sense of self worth.

In conclusion. It's absolutely not about 'them' it's about us and how we choose to live - regardless of what 'they' are saying.
Tom, LedBoots, Marjoram and 3 others like this.
Shallot is offline  
#17 Old 10-02-2015, 06:52 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Marjoram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 703
I'm not surrounded by haters, so maybe that's why I never had someone suggesting I was craving meat and replacing it with vegan look-alike. People around me don't confront me on my choices all the time. I still get the occasional "protein?" but more as a concerned question born out of ignorance than something said to provoke me. Concerning fake meats, I see them as an attempt at keeping cultural food. After some years being vegan my burgers taste nothing like meat, I can fool meat eaters if I want, I know the emulation recipes, but I prefer now the taste of mushroom and lentils over meat.

My taste evolved towards craving veggie food, I'm salivating in front of my lentil thick soup. Back when I was omni the broth was beef and there was bits of meat in it. I don't miss them at all! It's like my soup is more flavorful now. But new vegan making the transition often don't have that new sense of taste, they have to relearn to eat like a baby: introducing new flavors gradually.

I hated tofu the first time I tried it, now I really enjoy the texture and taste. Where homemade veggie burgers were ok they are now an explosion of flavors in my mouth. It's like the first time you tasted beer or wine as a kid, ewww! As an adult you learn to appreciate them (for a majority anyway)! Same thing with vegan food. Many start with fake meat tasting like the real deal then switch to less processed flavors with time as their palate evolve. Some will always love the taste of meat though, but as long as they eat vegan, I have no problem, it's not as if they will jump on a real ham sandwich anyway.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

Marjoram is offline  
#18 Old 10-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,228
I think both cris gabi and no whey jose have good points.

False meat products do offer a taste unlike most you would find in other vegan foods, so if you were going for a specific flavor in a recipe your only route to it may very well be veggie meats.

On the other hand, veggie meats do appear to exist to fill a market where veg*ns for some reasons can't let go of those products and 'cheat' so to speak.

As for the video...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave
Bacon equals pigs....

Beef equals cows...

Buffalo wings are chickens....

You get the gist.

Look at the big picture.

That "chicken nugget" you just ate came from a........chicken.

Come on people.......
Yeah, the video makes me hopeful, but I think it just irritates me, mainly because they all gave up so easily. If they'd have argued or been offended or ANYTHING, I could at least say they're deluding themselves, but obviously they're not even doing THAT.


They're just not thinking. They're SO CLOSE and yet they just don't make that tiny mental leap! It's frustrating.

I also don't think it was strictly wise or even right to put a baby piglet in the arms of multiple people who want to eat it in faith that they wouldn't do exactly what they just said they would do. That said, now that it's done, I hope this video circulates.
no whey jose likes this.
Dogma is offline  
#19 Old 10-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Don't Eat Animals.
 
Vegan Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,291
My mind was full and I kinda skipped some posts....

Anyway.... I used to buy "fake meat" and "fake cheese".....

It had no taste and to purpose. So.... I let it go.

No animals were harmed in the posting of this reply.
aprilrain likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
Vegan Dave is offline  
#20 Old 10-03-2015, 11:19 AM
androgyne | vegan
 
cris gabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 30
Oh, goodness, why I do always get myself into divergent thinking there where I pretty much know I am not to be agreed... Yes, they are idiots. Why not?? They wear pig skin, and cow skin, and this is nothing comparing with the fact that they totally encourage maintaining up all the hundreds of thousands of abattoirs in the goddamn entire world, if not millions better said, still, in the 21th century, when we can do anything!, from anything. I know evolution means transformation, in grades. And I know many of us still need to step by step rise up from this form we were born, as mere structured after animal principle of existence. And is laudable where we are. But I am an impatient, a greedy type of person, I want more, I want all, to be up there upgraded, to live by the end of the century on Mars, eating red dust, and robots... Kidding.
No, but now seriously, I do share your logic, it is the reasonable (the most reasonable) one, although I'm so sick of those around me, with me being one of the very few, not saying vegans, because even vegetarians are like oases here, so maybe that's why I get much fiery when it comes of animals and environment. However, it would be so so better if 7 billion people would just stop eating meat for a year, not saying lifetime, and still it would be such a good thing, or if they would stop using fueled engines for a year etc, but I now go into politics, and I already went off topic with the other point.. )
Okay, for the third time, (to those of you who jumped at my throat so harsh), though I already did it I again apologize, for being so rigorous, and dictatorial.. But it was only a thinking, a saying, I don't understand why some feel so offended. I tell 'everyday' to my parents that they're idiots letting themselves manipulated by a stupid system or/and by their stupid habits. And they don't get upset (too much) because they know I am right, (or/and they take me as cuckoo).
Anyway, vegan rule!! Peace out, all.

Last edited by cris gabi; 10-03-2015 at 11:26 AM.
cris gabi is offline  
#21 Old 10-03-2015, 05:14 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by cris gabi View Post
I tell 'everyday' to my parents that they're idiots letting themselves manipulated by a stupid system or/and by their stupid habits.
Dogma is offline  
#22 Old 10-03-2015, 05:47 PM
the ever sleepy
 
Sadrielle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 95
I can understand Cris Gabi's sentiment. I used to do Atkins, and a particular fad within Atkins communities was figuring out how to make familiar treats. Faux rice, using fried pork skins to make cinnamon toast cereal (or a churro snack), microwaved muffins using coconut flour and sweeteners, the list goes on.

Substitutes are a way of clinging to childhood nostalgia. We grow up loving certain tastes, whether that be cheese, a cream cheese danish, or spaghetti with meat balls. A big part of changing the way you eat is learning how to give up things you love or learn how to eat them in moderation. Since because the problem in the first place is usually the inability to moderate the intake of food, giving them up or finding substitutions is often the only answer.

I suspect for people transitioning into vegan or vegetarian, substitutions are the only option--unless they're willing to practice a program similar to VB6 (vegan before 6), and in general commit to limiting their consumption of animal products to a fraction of their current consumption. However, I find it interesting, Cris Gabi, that you find a need to mock their substitution choices. They gave up something they prefer, whether it be a tasty A1 drizzled steak or a bowl of bluebell ice cream, and chose instead coconut based ice cream and a grilled mushroom steak with whatever sauce they've found to substitute. Yes, there is most certainly a taste difference, and it doesn't always taste as good as the memory of what they're trying to substitute, but they do it anyways because they're trying to better themselves, and as such, are bettering the environment around by limiting their consumption of animal products.

And you're going to fault for them that? Interesting.

But I did say that I understand the sentiment you're expressing, and I genuinely do. It's the same sort of sentiment I felt when doing Atkins years back and the substitutions they would create. More often than not, said substitutions were more trouble than they were worth, and more than that, would often cause cravings for the real deal if they happened to be doing a dessert substitution. It's one of sorrow. It's one of realizing that they're shooting themselves in the foot by not putting down their nostalgia, by continuing to entertain it, and by that manner, putting themselves at risk for slipping back into old habits. It's a sorrow that they can't commit themselves to using something other than franken foods, and a sorrow that most frozen aisle substitutes contain ingredients that are not whole foods.

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.
Sadrielle is offline  
#23 Old 10-03-2015, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadrielle View Post
I can understand Cris Gabi's sentiment. I used to do Atkins, and a particular fad within Atkins communities was figuring out how to make familiar treats. Faux rice, using fried pork skins to make cinnamon toast cereal (or a churro snack), microwaved muffins using coconut flour and sweeteners, the list goes on.

Substitutes are a way of clinging to childhood nostalgia. We grow up loving certain tastes, whether that be cheese, a cream cheese danish, or spaghetti with meat balls. A big part of changing the way you eat is learning how to give up things you love or learn how to eat them in moderation. Since because the problem in the first place is usually the inability to moderate the intake of food, giving them up or finding substitutions is often the only answer.

I suspect for people transitioning into vegan or vegetarian, substitutions are the only option--unless they're willing to practice a program similar to VB6 (vegan before 6), and in general commit to limiting their consumption of animal products to a fraction of their current consumption. However, I find it interesting, Cris Gabi, that you find a need to mock their substitution choices. They gave up something they prefer, whether it be a tasty A1 drizzled steak or a bowl of bluebell ice cream, and chose instead coconut based ice cream and a grilled mushroom steak with whatever sauce they've found to substitute. Yes, there is most certainly a taste difference, and it doesn't always taste as good as the memory of what they're trying to substitute, but they do it anyways because they're trying to better themselves, and as such, are bettering the environment around by limiting their consumption of animal products.

And you're going to fault for them that? Interesting.

But I did say that I understand the sentiment you're expressing, and I genuinely do. It's the same sort of sentiment I felt when doing Atkins years back and the substitutions they would create. More often than not, said substitutions were more trouble than they were worth, and more than that, would often cause cravings for the real deal if they happened to be doing a dessert substitution. It's one of sorrow. It's one of realizing that they're shooting themselves in the foot by not putting down their nostalgia, by continuing to entertain it, and by that manner, putting themselves at risk for slipping back into old habits. It's a sorrow that they can't commit themselves to using something other than franken foods, and a sorrow that most frozen aisle substitutes contain ingredients that are not whole foods.
I can see how this might be the case for some veg*ns, but certainly not for me; I haven't had meat since I was a very young child and can't remember the taste of it (although I recall disliking it intensely) yet I frequently enjoy veggie burgers, veggie sausages, veggie bacon, etc. I'm not chasing a taste from my past and settling with a sub par substitute. The taste of the veggie "meat" is genuinely the taste I'm craving. I don't think I ever even ate a sausage made of animals in my life! Even ice cream, which I only gave up recently, always had a gross milky aftertaste which coconut milk ice cream doesn't have, so I greatly prefer the taste of that, too. I know many omnis who prefer the vegan versions of traditional animal products as well. This stuff tastes really, really good on its own. It's no downgrade or sacrifice. It's delicious.
LedBoots and warriormama like this.
no whey jose is offline  
#24 Old 10-03-2015, 09:37 PM
the ever sleepy
 
Sadrielle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
This stuff tastes really, really good on its own. It's no downgrade or sacrifice. It's delicious.
I recall from my childhood there being one time my father bought veggie burgers and hot dogs . He never bought them again, and I don't think I particularly had a preference either way. I remember them being palatable. Perhaps I shall have to try some at some point. : )

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.
Sadrielle is offline  
#25 Old 10-03-2015, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadrielle View Post
I recall from my childhood there being one time my father bought veggie burgers and hot dogs . He never bought them again, and I don't think I particularly had a preference either way. I remember them being palatable. Perhaps I shall have to try some at some point. : )
There have definitely been major improvements on the veggie meat front! If you're in the US, I highly suggest trying Field Roast apple sage sausages and Sweet Earth benevolent bacon. I've missed them so much since moving to the UK. Linda McCartney sausages are tasty but nowhere near Field Roast level. As for veggie burgers, there's no way that a beef burger could taste better than a spicy black bean burger with sriracha Just Mayo.
no whey jose is offline  
#26 Old 10-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I can see how this might be the case for some veg*ns, but certainly not for me; I haven't had meat since I was a very young child and can't remember the taste of it (although I recall disliking it intensely) yet I frequently enjoy veggie burgers, veggie sausages, veggie bacon, etc. I'm not chasing a taste from my past and settling with a sub par substitute. The taste of the veggie "meat" is genuinely the taste I'm craving. I don't think I ever even ate a sausage made of animals in my life!
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose
This stuff tastes really, really good on its own. It's no downgrade or sacrifice.
That's easier to say coming from someone who's had nothing to compare them to. For people who've had the real thing, many substitutes aren't as good. I've yet to try a vegan cheese I didn't immediately dislike, and it really depends on what kind of vegan ice cream you get if you're chasing after that classic taste.

For me, Soy Delicious brand ice cream doesn't appeal to me as much as actual ice cream, however Almond Dream hits the mark with just a slight hint of almond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I highly suggest trying Field Roast apple sage sausages and Sweet Earth benevolent bacon.
Benevolent Bacon? They actually called something Benevolent Bacon?

Last edited by Dogma; 10-03-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Dogma is offline  
#27 Old 10-03-2015, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
That's easier to say coming from someone who's had nothing to compare them to. For people who've had the real thing, many substitutes aren't as good. I've yet to try a vegan cheese I didn't immediately dislike.
Fair enough.

I don't like vegan cheese, either, but then I never liked dairy cheese to begin with!

Quote:
For me, Soy Delicious brand ice cream doesn't appeal to me as much as actual ice cream, however Almond Dream hits the mark with just a slight hint of almond.
Have you tried Coconut Bliss? It is by far the most delicious ice cream I have ever tasted.

Quote:
Benevolent Bacon? They actually called something Benevolent Bacon?
no whey jose is offline  
#28 Old 10-03-2015, 11:46 PM
the ever sleepy
 
Sadrielle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Fair enough.

I don't like vegan cheese, either, but then I never liked dairy cheese to begin with!



Have you tried Coconut Bliss? It is by far the most delicious ice cream I have ever tasted.



I'm dying. That's amazing.

I remember buying an almond based cheese in whole feeds several years back just because I wanted to know what it tasted like. Ended up throwing it away since I couldn't justify eating something that tasted so bad. Is there a goat cheese substitute? That's about the only cheese I get real hankerings for.

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.
Sadrielle is offline  
#29 Old 10-03-2015, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadrielle View Post
I'm dying. That's amazing.

I remember buying an almond based cheese in whole feeds several years back just because I wanted to know what it tasted like. Ended up throwing it away since I couldn't justify eating something that tasted so bad. Is there a goat cheese substitute? That's about the only cheese I get real hankerings for.
There are recipes: http://profoundhatredofmeat.blogspot...heese.html?m=1
no whey jose is offline  
#30 Old 10-04-2015, 07:33 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Have you tried Coconut Bliss? It is by far the most delicious ice cream I have ever tasted.
I keep hearing about it, but I've never seen it in any of my local stores.


Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose
Well how 'bout that.
Dogma is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off