Why do people hate vegetarians/vegans so much? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes
  • 1 Post By rasitha.wijesekera
  • 8 Post By Diesel
  • 7 Post By Capstan
  • 1 Post By wolfsa
  • 1 Post By SteveW
  • 1 Post By Marjoram
  • 1 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 4 Post By Windigo
  • 1 Post By cris gabi
  • 1 Post By Marjoram
  • 3 Post By Marjoram
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 09-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Happy Veggie
 
gjbz123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 95
Question Why do people hate vegetarians/vegans so much?

It's just something that I''ve wondered. Like what do we do that makes them hate us so much? why are they meat obsessed? and always insulting us? If you now please tell me it's something I really want to know
gjbz123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 09-15-2015, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rasitha.wijesekera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 551
Why do people hate vegetarians/vegans so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbz123 View Post
It's just something that I''ve wondered. Like what do we do that makes them hate us so much? why are they meat obsessed? and always insulting us? If you now please tell me it's something I really want to know

Think about it, if we are right, they are wrong. not just wrong but also bad. That's something anyone would get defensive about easily.

Also it's cool to hate vegetarians (specially vegans) Just like how people hate Star Wars prequels coz god dammit those movies were good.
rasitha.wijesekera is offline  
#3 Old 09-15-2015, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 208
My take on it is that it is societies brainwashing vs the persons internal beliefs. This leads to cognitive dissonance.

Since childhood people are taught that farm animals are there to serve us and eating meat is the normal thing to do.

Either consciously or subconsciously people know that other creatures have to die for them to enjoy their meat, the idea of killing other creatures might bother them. Many people try to rationalize this as necessary as they've been taught.

A person that has two opposing view points will be stressed out. This is cognitive dissonance.


The entire concept of veganism/vegetarianism brings back this stress and challenges their views. People do not remember what you exactly say, instead they remember how you made them feel.

If you say you are vegan and that makes them uncomfortable because of their conflicting beliefs, they will project those negative feelings to you instead. You might not have done anything, but the fact that you are vegan makes them uneasy and they will blame you for it.


Reinforcing my belief, consider when a person asks if you are a vegan and you reply yes. But then you follow up with "I do it for health reasons." Chances are you will not get such a negative response from them, because it has nothing to do with the death of animals and it does not trigger their cognitive dissonance.
Diesel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 09-15-2015, 09:42 PM
Impeach the gangster
 
Capstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,052
First, I don't think all non-veg*ns hate veg*ns. The expression of hatred we hear from some probably has many reasons. They can't justify their own lifestyle by themselves, and depend on others to prop them up- to tell them they're right- like artificial crutches; when they perceive someone who appears to do otherwise, they feel threatened, and so strike out, as a defensive measure. Then too, I'm sorry to say, I think a few people are just mean and nasty; they take pleasure in doing what they know is wrong, and enjoy causing pain. But I think they're a minority. People want to be told what to do, and will follow the path of least resistance; for generations, industry and government have been telling them to eat meat- and made it easy for them to do so- so they've come to believe it's the right thing to do; when presented with an alternative, they become confused, and again, take a defensive posture. I think they act out of fear, because they haven't yet learned how to think for themselves.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Capstan is offline  
#5 Old 09-16-2015, 06:40 AM
Newbie
 
wolfsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6
Because vegetarians tend to be preachy and condescending. And some people genuinely like meat. They're 'just' animals and so on.
Most people don't have the emotional association with meat vegetarians do.
Purp likes this.

Last edited by wolfsa; 09-16-2015 at 07:55 AM.
wolfsa is offline  
#6 Old 09-16-2015, 07:23 AM
...
 
Blobbenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3,936
yes, I have been a bit preachy....I think I have cast the first stone a bit too many times........

Blobbenstein is offline  
#7 Old 09-16-2015, 08:05 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsa View Post
Because vegetarians tend to be preachy and condescending. And some people genuinely like meat. They're 'just' animals and so on.
Most people don't have the emotional association with meat vegetarians do.
I do not find most vegetarians or vegans to be "preachy" or "condescending." I hear this quite frequently, though. Where is this happening, exactly?
LedBoots is offline  
#8 Old 09-16-2015, 09:22 AM
Beginner
 
SteveW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 157
From a vegan perspective it's actually hilarious how vegans are often labelled as the 'weird' ones.

What's weird about causing the least suffering to other beings and living the most ethical way....
DTASFAB likes this.
SteveW is offline  
#9 Old 09-16-2015, 12:00 PM
Newbie
 
wolfsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I do not find most vegetarians or vegans to be "preachy" or "condescending." I hear this quite frequently, though. Where is this happening, exactly?
It's more about the general idea that vegetarians want you to stop eating meat. It's like saying to americans you'll take away their guns. Look at how much hatred it causes.
Now matter how good your arguments are, people are often irrational and selfish or simply don't care about the way you feel about eating meat.

Last edited by wolfsa; 09-16-2015 at 12:19 PM.
wolfsa is offline  
#10 Old 09-16-2015, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Marjoram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 703
They *hate* vegans because we are challenging their culture and traditions and insulting indirectly their mom and how she fed them! That's a huge deal, that's like breaking a big chunk of who they are. People don't like change, especially if it asks them to make efforts. Especially if it alienate them from their family members. Some will be glad that they finally have their eyes open, others will be frustrated and feel guilty and humans will retaliate more often then admit and try to change.

Personally bringing my veggie burgers and buns to a BBQ is no big deal, but some people thinks it's a hassle and insulting the host... same for Christmas supper etc. I remind everyone in my family that having a great time together is more important then what I have in my plate. It's a constant battle but I keep my smile on and shrugs my shoulders at them instead of arguing. In the end I'm the winner.
Windigo likes this.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

Marjoram is offline  
#11 Old 09-16-2015, 12:46 PM
Bambino
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 12
Send a message via Yahoo to Happyhardcore
I think that the reason why people hate vegans and claim that the lifestyle is unhealthy and wrong is because today's society is so brain washed into believing that everything that scientists say is right.Therefore we forget who we are as individuals and our principles in life in favor of follow how things are dictated by higher authority .Apparently if you're different you are looked down on by your family,your colleges,your peers,and all of society .I think thats why so many people are afraid of becoming vegan.They dont want to be different they want to blend in with the crowd.

Life is a climb,BUT the view is AWESOME
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Happyhardcore is offline  
#12 Old 09-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Enthios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Malibu CA
Posts: 439
(lots of good answers!)
(Prejudice) the dislike of something that is different or unfamiliar from ones own understanding or ways.

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

 

http://TRUEHEALTHHAPPENS.COM

Enthios is offline  
#13 Old 09-21-2015, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,282
I have found very few people who "hate" veg*ns. Those that do are generally not worth bothering about.
Beautiful Joe is offline  
#14 Old 09-21-2015, 12:17 PM
No flesh since 99'
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 959
From my experience, *most* don't "hate" vegans. I think very few omnis genuinely dislike vegans and genuinely feel it's unhealthy (not that they aren't out there, my family is full of them). The average omni though either fear being attacked for their dietary choices and go in to defense mode OR they feel uncomfortable with their own dietary choices and the fact they have done nothing to change it so they try to bring down people who are confident and did make positive changes.
no whey jose likes this.
Kiwibird08 is offline  
#15 Old 09-22-2015, 01:06 AM
The prowling wolf
 
Windigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Amersfoort, Nederland
Posts: 878
People don't like criticism in general; when confronted with a vegan or vegetarian they often feel critiqued for their choice of eating meat. It confronts them with the less pleasant parts of their personality, which many people try to repress.

We all like to think of ourselves as nice, caring, ''good'' people. Seeing someone who doesn't eat meat confronts many people with their own hypocrisy; and most people don't like that. They like to tell themselves that they 'love'' animals but still 'need' their meat on the plate in the evening because it's 'healthy''. People love to believe their own lies.

I think that's why being vegetarian or vegan warrants so much anger in others, they don't want to know. They want to keep their illusions about themselves.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
Windigo is offline  
#16 Old 09-22-2015, 01:45 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Shallot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 437
It's not something I've experienced - i.e. I've had very few bad reactions (and the ones I have had were incredibly trivial and mild). Most people are neutral (probably like 95% of people) and some people are positive to it. Maybe .1% of people I've met have been negative about veg*ism.
Shallot is offline  
#17 Old 09-22-2015, 04:26 AM
androgyne | vegan
 
cris gabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 30
We all have it in our instinct, to be omnivore. In fact what is being omnivore, is to get through the easiest way, for to refuel, with energy. We don't salivate to meat, itself. We salivate to it's power of transforming itself, and faster, and lasting longer, into a greater amount of pure energy. We salivate to all this kind of food.
Is just only a few of us have the power to control some instincts, in there inside our mind. With the reason that we don't need anymore that much energy to exist. Because with the civilization came the more easy life.
We, vegetarians/vegans, have our 'incompetencies' too, in some other instinctual beliefs that we maybe support and they are wrong/useless, we only don't know it yet, as we can't see it, as the omnivore people can't see it is so obvious unnecessary remaining stuck within the ape inside of us just forever.
Is hard to change ourselves, for all of us, and in this case is not their fault. Is just.. evolution. It takes time, for some less, for others more.
In the end we all humans will evolve, into artificial intelligence bodies, most certain, it is impossible to avoid that, so we humans won't have much of this inner confrontation about how to provide energy to recharge our batteries. But until then.. We create rules, to support life, equally. Rice rule!..
Marjoram likes this.
cris gabi is offline  
#18 Old 09-22-2015, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Marjoram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 703
cris gabi, I like that you talk about evolution. Too many stay stuck on what we are supposed to be, our prehistoric ancestors etc. to make a point against or for veg*nism, often forgetting that if today it's possible to be healthy on a plant based diet because of science and import/export, then we CAN evolved into something that will stop destroying our planet and make living beings suffer. Stop being the Earth's cancer as I see humanity! Who cares if our primitive ancestors ate insects or not, if scavenging then hunting then agriculture became part of many cultures. We are evolved home sapiens sapiens, we can do so much to repair the harm we have done like now! Let us evolve a step further since we are so proud of our evolution.
cris gabi likes this.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

Marjoram is offline  
#19 Old 09-24-2015, 02:01 AM
androgyne | vegan
 
cris gabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post
cris gabi, I like that you talk about evolution. Too many stay stuck on what we are supposed to be, our prehistoric ancestors etc. to make a point against or for veg*nism, often forgetting that if today it's possible to be healthy on a plant based diet because of science and import/export, then we CAN evolved into something that will stop destroying our planet and make living beings suffer. Stop being the Earth's cancer as I see humanity! Who cares if our primitive ancestors ate insects or not, if scavenging then hunting then agriculture became part of many cultures. We are evolved home sapiens sapiens, we can do so much to repair the harm we have done like now! Let us evolve a step further since we are so proud of our evolution.
I just can't have anything to add here, you are totally right, and is exactly what I believe in, too. I'm so glad that are more people thinking this way, because for too many times I got so tired after all these years trying making a point for animals, for nature, for our descendants, that they need this planet too, within the future, is not all about us here, even the people around are looking at me as I need to go check for some psychiatric help when they hear. 'The man' can be so selfish, is scary how selfish we human are. And not always in a constructive way, at all.
Thank you, Marjoram.
cris gabi is offline  
#20 Old 09-24-2015, 04:25 AM
Poo Pie Head
 
ShadowKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post


Reinforcing my belief, consider when a person asks if you are a vegan and you reply yes. But then you follow up with "I do it for health reasons." Chances are you will not get such a negative response from them, because it has nothing to do with the death of animals and it does not trigger their cognitive dissonance.
^^^^ This.

I have gotten "dirty looks" from people when they find out I am vegan and ask why. They only started doing this when I started replying "for the animals". Although this is anecdotal as before I was a vegetarian for health reasons, then went vegan so the only comparison is "Are you vegetarian for yadda yadda" "Health" and "Are your vegan for yadda yadda" "animals".

Still, I think you hit the nail on the head.
ShadowKat is offline  
#21 Old 09-24-2015, 05:15 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Gita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mexas
Posts: 1,610
I was an O-L before, but now am a vegetarian-vegan type, in other words, I am not a total vegan. People really do question what I am doing. I don't find it to be "hatred" but a form of "nothing I do for you is good enough!" It is like I am "picky," or "spoiled." I can't eat what every one else eats because I am "too good" for that. I do not want to be part of the community, I want to be stand-offish, and get special things.

That's the vibe I get from people.

I really am in a "health" phase. I am trying to heal (aka--lose weight) after being a "cheese and milk" vegetarian for so long. I got terribly fat. So I got on board with the MacDougalls and the Esselstein Drs.

That does not mean I do not know, or believe in the animal side of it, but I feel that many vegans (and vegetarians) make the same dietary mistakes as SAD omnivores if they do not look at their diet from the viewpoint of "health." I mean, I wish there was not a "rift" between health vegans and animal vegans. It should be both together. I mean, you are an animal too. You are eating all this cake and junk, and you may as well just consider yourself the same as one of the experimental animals you want to help. The food system does not require long term testing. All these overweight people are eating diets that are killing them and have not been tested on anyone or anything. Everyone is a test animal in this crazy experiment that the food industries are partaking in! That's what I am into now!
Gita is offline  
#22 Old 09-24-2015, 06:16 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Marjoram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 703
Gita, there is no rift between vegans that take care of their health and those who like junk food because what defines a vegan, according to the Vegan Society who coined the word is:

"...a way of living that seeks to exclude, as far as possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing and any other purpose"

As you can see, nothing about eating healthy here. Purely ethical, hence why some of us prefer a distinction between strict vegetarian and vegan, just so people know we are in for the philosophy and compassion first, not as a beneficial side-effect of eating healthy. It's like saying we'll all part of the same school but my classes are in the East wing and yours in the North.

Same family but different priorities. Now vegetarian do have many appellations, some are only ovo, others lacto etc. A vegan is only a vegan because of that definition.

Now if you are vegan AND also super concerned for your health and the health of humanity in general like world hunger, awesome! It can only do more good and I relate to that also because I really love eating healthy the huge majority of the time. I'm 43 now and if I start eating cookies and cake and chips everyday like when I was 20, you can be sure I'll pill up the pounds, metabolism is slowly decreasing as you gain years.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

Marjoram is offline  
#23 Old 09-24-2015, 08:56 AM
Newbie
 
PigPrairieDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 19
My experience thus far with anti-vegan reactions is that they come from a place of ignorance and stereotypical beliefs. I don't find that people "hate" my being a vegan, but rather think it is silly and annoying.

When I let me family know I had become a vegan I mostly got a lot of questions centered on "Why would you do such a thing?". It was as if I had said I had decided to cut off both of my legs. I also got a lot of vegan jokes. My favorite one was "How many vegans does it take to screw in a light bulb? 20 plus one regular person. One regular person to screw in the bulb and 20 vegans to tell him he's doing it wrong".

I figure it's best to just shrug it off and move on. Maybe in 10 years when my family members tell me they have heart disease and diabetes from their meat & cheese diets I'll make some jokes about that.
PigPrairieDog is offline  
Reply

Tags
hate , meat , rude , veggie

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off