Lifelong veggie discovery - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-08-2004, 03:45 AM

Hello all,

Went to a wedding on Friday which was extremely posh - incidentally next to Madonna's English country home (which we weren't allowed anywhere near, of course)

Anyway, being one of only five veggies amongst eighty at the reception dinner (couldn't resist a quick count of who was eating the veggie option, just to work out a percentage) I started talking to one of the veg girls.

I asked how long she'd been veggie and she said "all my life, my parents were veggie so I've never once eaten meat". I thought this was great.

Just interested to know if there are any lifelong veggies on here, or anyone that plans to bring kids up with a meat free diet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-08-2004, 03:47 AM

I wasn't born a veg*n, but I intend on raising my kids vegan from birth
#3 Old 08-08-2004, 04:07 AM
Veggie Regular

i agree my kids will eat vegan although my discovery of veg was only 8 years ago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-08-2004, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

not veg from birth, and don't plan on kids, but adoption is a possibility in the future. if i were to have/adopt kids, they would absolutely be raised vegan.
#5 Old 08-08-2004, 04:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagginabit View Post

I wasn't born a veg*n, but I intend on raising my kids vegan from birth

Same here
#6 Old 08-08-2004, 05:04 AM

same here
#7 Old 08-08-2004, 05:24 AM
Veggie Regular

i wasn't raised veg/vegan, but i'd definately bring my kids up vegetarian, well probably vegan.
#8 Old 08-08-2004, 05:27 AM
Banned

I wasn't raised veggie but as both my partner and I are veggie now we would want any kids we have raised that way.

Kerry x
#9 Old 08-08-2004, 06:18 AM

I've been a veggie since I was 5 and I definitely plan to raise my kids the same way. Maybe even vegan. Is that healthy? I've always wondered about that.
#10 Old 08-08-2004, 06:53 AM

Well there was a vegan couple in London who only gave their baby vegan food and when social services went round the house, they took the child away as it was so malnourished! Might just have been that they were giving the kid a crappy diet, though. Don't know the exact details.

On soya milk cartons in the UK, it's stated that soya milk is only to be used by kids who are older than 6 months. Perhaps very young babies need real milk - not sure. Anyone know?
#11 Old 08-08-2004, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCardiffUK View Post

On soya milk cartons in the UK, it's stated that soya milk is only to be used by kids who are older than 6 months. Perhaps very young babies need real milk - not sure. Anyone know?

The best option for very young babies is breast milk.
#12 Old 08-08-2004, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Babies need formula or breast milk - my soy milk cartons say that it's not to be used as infant formula.
#13 Old 08-08-2004, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well there was a vegan couple in London who only gave their baby vegan food and when social services went round the house, they took the child away as it was so malnourished! Might just have been that they were giving the kid a crappy diet, though. Don't know the exact details.

in the only case i have heard of like that (don't know where it was), the parents were trying to feed their baby a raw vegan diet, and wouldn't breast feed because they thought it wasn't "vegan." the child was getting hardly any nourisment at all.

Quote:

of course they need real milk, but not if by "real milk" you mean "cow milk." they need human breast milk (but can be given formula).
#14 Old 08-08-2004, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Young babies need real milk- milk that comes from its own species. Humans are not intended to consume any other milk than the breat milk from other humans. The manufacturers have to put that "disclaimer" on there, because at some point, someone used soy/rice/nut milk to feed it to a very young child/baby (whose nutritional needs cannot be met that way) and when they became ill or whatever, sured the company. It's a protective disclaimer. As far as veganism being "healthy" for children, yes. It is the healthiest, when done armed with the correct information on nutrition. With proper combining, supplementation and suport, it is the healthiest way to raise a child. My 11 year old daughter is vegan and has no illness (not even colds). But I am not basing my statements on my experience alone. I am a Nutritionist and know this to be true because of my education and studies.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#15 Old 08-08-2004, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Babies can be given formula that is soy-based, but I think breast milk is best. I don't know why anyone would give a 2 month old baby a glass of Silk? Makes you wonder lol.
#16 Old 08-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountessKerouac View Post

Babies can be given formula that is soy-based, but I think breast milk is best. I don't know why anyone would give a 2 month old baby a glass of Silk? Makes you wonder lol.

Probably because it is 1/30th the price of soy formula and seems to sound like it would be basically the same thing.

what IS the difference? maybe i should drink formula for extra nutrition (JUST kidding!)

Oh, i have been veg since i was 16, (i am 25 now) with long on/off periods from 11-16. But not knowingly since then.

I plan to raise my children to be primarily vegetarian, with a strong emphasis on veganism, whole foods and organic foods. But I am not going to control what they eat outside our home, while not with me. I think everyone should create values of their own. But you won't find me putting sugar on anything of theirs, or serving them something pre-packaged and laden with preservatives and fakeness, even if it is vegan.
#17 Old 08-08-2004, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been a vegetarian for 9 years. I am pregnant right now and our baby girl is due next month. My husband is also a vegetarian and we plan on raising our child as a vegetarian. Not a vegan though, I think veganism is far too restrictive and would make her an outsider to the point where she wouldn't even be able to eat birthday cake at a birthday party. At home we eat probably 80% vegan, but we are always vegetarian. Doing this is great for the animals and it's something we can all live with without feeling deprived.
#18 Old 08-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Beginner

There was a vegan baby that died in New Zealand.

His name was Caleb Moorhead and he died of a B12 deficency.

The parents went sent to jail for it.

But if I had a kid I would definately raise it veggie!
#19 Old 08-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post

I've been a vegetarian for 9 years. I am pregnant right now and our baby girl is due next month. My husband is also a vegetarian and we plan on raising our child as a vegetarian. Not a vegan though, I think veganism is far too restrictive and would make her an outsider to the point where she wouldn't even be able to eat birthday cake at a birthday party. At home we eat probably 80% vegan, but we are always vegetarian. Doing this is great for the animals and it's something we can all live with without feeling deprived.

Just a thought...if a child is born with Celiac disease (gluten intolerance), allergic to eggs or has a lactose intolerance, this can be accomodated by bringing a special cake or special foods/drinks at sleepovers and parties and the like...I do this all the time for my daughter. It's really not that uncommon and no one makes a big deal of it. It isn't always easy for the child, though. But it's worth it!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#20 Old 08-08-2004, 11:55 PM

I've only been vegetarian for about eight years, but both my kids have been since birth. They're six years and three years old. Whether they choose to stay veggie for life is up to them
#21 Old 08-09-2004, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

i've been veggie for five years, my husband is an omnivore. we both support organic foods and live on a "whole foods" diet. while i will maintain vegetarianism while pregnant, it's likely that i will raise my children omnivore. they will not consume a lot of meat, but when they do it will be organic/biodynamic, free range--basicly the stuff my husband eats. this is basicly what we have agreed to, based on the evidence that we've read and how we've cut out soy and other modified, processed "veggie" products.

so there it is.
#22 Old 08-09-2004, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a fairly recent vegetarian (probably 75% vegan or so), and my fiance is an omni. However, he has greatly reduced his meat intake and eats a lot of my veggie meals. We're planning on having a kid or two WAY into the future, and I think that it's very likely our kids will be raised vegetarian. Probably by then, Ryan will be a complete vegetarian (hopefully!).

I also think that veganism is a little restrictive for young kids (although I haven't done a ton of research), and later on if they want to make that transition, that's fine, but they can do it by choice.
#23 Old 08-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Both my husband and I have been vegetarian for over a year now, we became veggie about 3 months before my son was born and he has been a vegan so far (he just turned one). We definitely plan on raising him vegetarian but we probably won't be strict about keeping him vegan when away from home. For us, we draw a very hard line at vegetarianism and a softer line at veganism...at a birthday party, the cake and ice cream would be fine, the hot dogs would not be.

Like RedWingsFan said, I don't want him to feel like a complete outsider or feel extremely restricted. I think a vegan-at-home, vegetarian while away from home attitude is how we plan to handle things.
#24 Old 08-09-2004, 02:11 PM

i think the only thing unhealthy about raising kids vegan is the b12 issue, which is easily solved with a supplement. i would definitely raise my kids veggie, more likely vegan, depending on where i am living and such, but i am always going to explain to them that it can be their decision, and if they want to be omni or whatevs, that's cool.
#25 Old 08-09-2004, 02:13 PM

colorful, i like your way of doing it. how smart, vegan when you can control it, veggie when you can't. )
#26 Old 08-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I wasn't, but I want to raise my kids veggie. I wanted to go veg at five but my rents wouldn't let me till I was ten.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page