• 2 Post By @rno
  • 4 Post By Windigo
  • 4 Post By VeggieSince88
  • 1 Post By Windigo
  • 1 Post By LedBoots

#1 Old 09-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Question Medications

Just wondering what the consensus is among my fellow ethical vegetarians when it comes to medications that contain, or may contain, animal products. For example, something that's only available in capsule form, and the capsules are presumed to contain gelatin, or a flu vaccine that contains egg proteins.

Speaking only for myself, I've had to come to a point of acceptance, because I have such serious health problems that there are times I simply have no choice--it's either take a med that I know contains animal ingredients, or risk getting extremely, perhaps deathly, ill.

When there is choice, of course I opt for the non-animal version, and I've long boycotted things like Premarin, choosing synthetic estrogens instead. But when there is no choice, I reluctantly acquiesce. What about you?
Purp and amira23 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
Just wondering what the consensus is among my fellow ethical vegetarians when it comes to medications that contain, or may contain, animal products. For example, something that's only available in capsule form, and the capsules are presumed to contain gelatin, or a flu vaccine that contains egg proteins.

Speaking only for myself, I've had to come to a point of acceptance, because I have such serious health problems that there are times I simply have no choice--it's either take a med that I know contains animal ingredients, or risk getting extremely, perhaps deathly, ill.

When there is choice, of course I opt for the non-animal version, and I've long boycotted things like Premarin, choosing synthetic estrogens instead. But when there is no choice, I reluctantly acquiesce. What about you?
I do just what you do. I'm a long term ethical vegan and also an RN, so I get meds gelatin-free, etc when feasible. And I try to use medications that have been around longer, since at least any animal testing done for them wouldn't have been recent. Like aspirin instead of ibuprofen type thing.

My current responsibilities at work include doing the intake for newly pregnant women. This includes prescribing prenatal vitamins, so I always give the non-fish oil, no gelatin types. And I encourage vegetarian eating for the pregnant woman ( I have to be careful here with current meateaters.)
#3 Old 09-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I do just what you do. I'm a long term ethical vegan and also an RN, so I get meds gelatin-free, etc when feasible. And I try to use medications that have been around longer, since at least any animal testing done for them wouldn't have been recent. Like aspirin instead of ibuprofen type thing.

My current responsibilities at work include doing the intake for newly pregnant women. This includes prescribing prenatal vitamins, so I always give the non-fish oil, no gelatin types. And I encourage vegetarian eating for the pregnant woman ( I have to be careful here with current meateaters.)
Thanks for the input, LedBoots!

I can imagine the fine line you have to tread when encouraging vegetarian eating for pregnant women. There are still...STILL!...so many misconceptions about vegan/vegetarian nutrition.
Purp and LedBoots like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-02-2015, 04:16 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

I try to avoid animal products as far as possible.
Purp and LedBoots like this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#5 Old 09-02-2015, 07:44 AM
The prowling wolf

I am an ethical vegan, and think it's horrible that the only medication working for my Crohn's is Remicade, which is made from mouse enzymes.

However, there is no alternative that works for me and without this medication I could die, so I have to take it. It is the only option I have, and I am very sorry for all the mice.

As soon as a realistic alternative arrives, I will switch. For now however, this is a matter of life or death.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#6 Old 09-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
I am an ethical vegan, and think it's horrible that the only medication working for my Crohn's is Remicade, which is made from mouse enzymes.

However, there is no alternative that works for me and without this medication I could die, so I have to take it. It is the only option I have, and I am very sorry for all the mice.

As soon as a realistic alternative arrives, I will switch. For now however, this is a matter of life or death.
Please don't beat yourself up over it. You're doing the best you can, and if you had a choice as far as this medication goes, you'd choose a better alternative, but you don't.
Tom, Purp, Windigo and 1 others like this.
#7 Old 09-03-2015, 02:13 AM
The prowling wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
Please don't beat yourself up over it. You're doing the best you can, and if you had a choice as far as this medication goes, you'd choose a better alternative, but you don't.
I agree, there is nothing I can do. If an alternative comes I will try it (artificial mouse enzymes anyone? :P ) but until that time it is the way it is.
mackiesgirl likes this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#8 Old 09-21-2015, 09:19 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHairedMale View Post
Exactly. I eat chicken without hormones, but thats about it.
Are you in the process of transitioning to vegetarian?
#9 Old 09-21-2015, 12:17 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Quote:
Exactly. I eat chicken without hormones, but thats about it.
That's what I'm wondering, too. Well, that plus what this has to do with taking medications containing animal products.
#10 Old 09-21-2015, 01:27 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Quote:
Impossible to say.
Then, might I ask, why are you here?
#11 Old 09-21-2015, 01:44 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Impossible to say.
Please read the terms of service that you agreed to. They include not promoting meat eating. In addition, you must be veggie or transitioning to vegetarian to participate here. There are enough meat eaters on the rest of the web.
VeggieSince88 likes this.

Last edited by LedBoots; 09-21-2015 at 01:46 PM.

Tags
medication , medicine , meds , prescriptions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page