• 3 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By TailFin
  • 1 Post By VeggieSince88
  • 1 Post By dbrittany
  • 1 Post By VeggieSince88
  • 1 Post By karl1976

#1 Old 08-27-2015, 07:02 AM

Korean Barbeque

So yesterday I was invited to a Korean barbeque hosted by a very diverse group.

I started talking with this guy from Vietnam and he questioned my reason for not eating meat. After I explained to him the short version, he tried to tell me about a study that was done about animal fat. Apparently, all fat is the same and animal fat in particular is good for you. He tried to tell me that BEEF is extremely healthy and I shouldn't cut it from my diet.

Another girl I talked to asked me why I even came if I wasn't going to eat the meat. That was honestly the rudest comment I recieved the entire night, it was a mixer of some sort. The food was just a plus.

I had half a plate of rice and half a plate of mixed kale and cabbage salad. Then I finished the night with tapioca.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-27-2015, 09:08 PM
Vegan since 1991

Whenever people ask me those types of questions, I try to answer very blandly:

Girl from work: "Why did you even come, if you weren't going to eat the meat?"

Me (with a relaxed, bored voice): "They probably have good veggie stuff here."

Girl from work: "Yeah, but the meat is the whole point of it".

Me (pretend I didn't hear her. Look relaxed and peruse the menu).

This will effectively end the conversation. The girl will realize that she looks like a jerk.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 08-27-2015 at 09:15 PM.
#3 Old 08-28-2015, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry, I might have missed it, but what was the reason you went? To network? That's the reason--the truth.

If people want to talk about the food there, you can either politely talk it up with them or just change topics to the real topic at hand--who are you, what do you do, my name is this, your name is that, blah blah blah.

I hate networking events, haha.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-28-2015, 11:18 AM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrittany View Post
So yesterday I was invited to a Korean barbeque hosted by a very diverse group.

I started talking with this guy from Vietnam and he questioned my reason for not eating meat. After I explained to him the short version, he tried to tell me about a study that was done about animal fat. Apparently, all fat is the same and animal fat in particular is good for you. He tried to tell me that BEEF is extremely healthy and I shouldn't cut it from my diet.
I'm going to guess that I'm a lot older, and have been at this a lot longer, than you! For me, now, I wouldn't have been so polite. I would've said that beef is most definitely NOT healthy at all--for the poor, abused, terrified animals involved. And that IF what he was saying was true, I'd rather gamble with my health knowing that my conscience is clear because I don't participate in cruelty to animals--like he does.

Quote:
Another girl I talked to asked me why I even came if I wasn't going to eat the meat. That was honestly the rudest comment I recieved the entire night, it was a mixer of some sort. The food was just a plus.
In 27 years, I've never received a comment like that--but if I did, oh my goodness would I ever let her have it! I'd ask her why she's okay with torturing and killing OTHER sentient beings, why it doesn't bother her that LIVING animals are abused and killed in order to put 'meat' on her dish.

Quote:
I had half a plate of rice and half a plate of mixed kale and cabbage salad. Then I finished the night with tapioca.
It's a shame the hosts didn't provide more non-animal dishes.
Purp likes this.
#5 Old 08-30-2015, 08:28 AM

I don't know how to be frank with people without fearing I look aggressive. I don't want to turn people off about living meat free, but I don't want them to ask annoying questions.
Purp likes this.
#6 Old 08-30-2015, 12:07 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrittany View Post
I don't know how to be frank with people without fearing I look aggressive. I don't want to turn people off about living meat free, but I don't want them to ask annoying questions.
Just stay calm, say something like, "are you aware of the heinous cruelty meat animals are subjected to?" and then see where the conversation goes. They may say, A) there is no cruelty/abuse in the meat industry, or, B) meat animals are put here for us to use. You can pick up from there and GENTLY enlighten them.

Because I've never been confronted with something as rude and obnoxious as in the OP, I've never had to get really obnoxious in return! My strategy, in day-to-day life, is to speak very calmly--but FACTUALLY--about my lifestyle. When someone says they're not aware of cruelty in the meat industry, I offer to send them links to undercover videos that prove otherwise. If they say "I love animals...but..." I point out that their beloved pets are no different physiologically from 'meat' animals. I may go further and say, "would you be okay with someone cramming your [dog, cat] into a tiny cage, packed with others so tight s/he can't even stand up, and stay like that until they're taken to a slaughterhouse, and they're dragged into the slaughterhouse by a chain because their legs are broken and they can't stand up, and then they're hung upside down and have their throats slit, and start being butchered while still alive?" After the look of horror subsides, I'll say, "then why are you okay with doing that to OTHER sentient beings?"
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 09-04-2015, 06:56 AM

I was at a barbecue run by my local psych hospital. They had Linda Mc Carthney sausages (veggie tasty sausages). I think the Barbie you attended just wasn't with it.
Purp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page