Vegetarian Foods and milk products - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 08-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

when I see "vegetarian" on the label, i expect just that - a product which is vegetarian. It might be vegan, but I wouldn't expect it to be unless it actually said "vegan" on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-05-2004, 11:12 AM

# 3 for me, usually. I trust Fantastic though, since I buy your stuff a lot. I feel like I'm interacting with a veg. God here! Thank you SO much for all of your products, its a godsend for a vegetarian teen like myself. And my dad will eat it too. I especially love your veg. chili mix
#33 Old 08-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Beginner

A "Vegan" label is wonderful though.

I agree Mayuko. I always check the labels of even my favorite vegan products. More than once I have seen the ingredients change and it becomes vegetarian vs. vegan. I've discovered that they like to add honey...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 08-05-2004, 11:32 AM

#3. I always read labels, partly for stuff like milk & eggs, partly because I'm a picky eater, and there are lots of things I don't like to eat. Also, even though I sometimes eat dairy ingredients, I sometimes don't, and I like to know what's in my food.
#35 Old 08-05-2004, 11:36 AM

wow, i'll have to check out your foods. if i see vegetarian, i guess 2 & 3. if it is labled vegetarian, i check the ingredients to see if it is vegan. if it is labled vegan, i usually get really excited and read the ingredients out of disbelief )
#36 Old 08-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Yeah, I would have but people have already replied and John's not on for me to ask him.

Thanks anyway Michael. I am fine reading these comments, they are very helpful.

Generally I am pretty web saavy, but I booted the poll engine in fine fashion.

John
#37 Old 08-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Beginner

I sincerely appreciate it. I will share with our group here. Because there are no federal standards around how you label vegetarian/vegan, many people think different things. Lots of confusion. You can see that even in a very sophisticated group like the one here there is variance. When you are talking to the broader public unfamiliar with vegetarian diets the confusion is much wider. We are always looking to find better ways to be more clear and direct in this area.

Also, thanks for the nice comments about our products. Always appreciated. You will be happy to hear that we took the feedback from this group a while back on some product samples and have re-formulated them to improve them based on your feedback. They are killer! When we get the product runs done in a month or so, I will see if Michael is cool with me sending anyone who helped a care package with the new stuff.

Thanks again.

JF
#38 Old 08-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually assume that it contains dairy or eggs, because if they were going for the health or animal welfare crowd enough to label it vegetarian, they probably would have called it vegan if it was entirely plant based. I would check in hopes that it was vegan anyway though.
#39 Old 08-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, and I've had a few of your premade dishes like the pad thai, good stuff.
#40 Old 08-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Our family loves your stuff!

The label vegetarian says to me that it probably contains dairy & eggs. But I'm a label reader, so I would pick 2 & 3.

I love it when things are labeled vegan from you, I know I can trust it!
#41 Old 08-05-2004, 07:35 PM

(2) It does contain animal milk products unless I also see "Vegan" clearly posted on the label

(3) I never assume anything until I read the detail in the ingredient statement

I always read through the ingredients if it says "vegetarian" to see if

it is vegan also. It is a habit, people are so uniformed on what is in their

food and I like to know. I even do this is it specifies "vegan" the first couple

of times I buy it.
#42 Old 08-05-2004, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

If I see vegetarian on the label, then I assume that it is vegetarian, but that it may contain dairy or eggs. Since I rarely see vegan on a label, I have become used to reading the labels on everything (just the other day in fact, I read through the entire ingredient list on a pack of veggie burgers before I realised that it said vegan right on the box.) It would be great if everything was labeled ovo-lacto, lacto, ovo or vegan but until that happens, I'll have to vote 3: (3) I never assume anything until I read the detail in the ingredient statement
#43 Old 08-05-2004, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually do assume that something marked vegetarian has eggs and/or milk in it; however, I always read labels. So I guess that makes me 2 & 3 as well.
#44 Old 08-05-2004, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm with the crowd here - if it says "vegetarian" I will assume it might have eggs/dairy/gelatin in it and will read the ingredients to see if I want to eat it.

If it says "vegan" I still read the ingredients just to see what's it it.

And, I think it's worth noting that the labeling placement also depends on whom you're trying to attract as customers. If you're going for the mainstream, plastering "Vegan!" across the front might detract people from buying it (because we all know vegan food is just a bunch of grass & twigs - kidding!).

One thing I have found to be clever is bold wording under the list of ingredients that says, "this product is suitable for vegans"... I think most of us look @ the ingredients list anyway, so having it there would keep us veg-heads happy, and would not be discouraging to those who want to try veg food but think "vegan" food is gross...

amy
#45 Old 08-06-2004, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichoke47 View Post

Well, I'm at a cross between 2 and 3, because if I see "vegan," I'm happy and think it PROBABLY doesn't have animal milk in it, but I still check the ingredients to make sure.

And the reason I would assume that it had animal milk in it is because someone went out of their way to label it "vegetarian" but not "vegan," unless it was labeled as both.

Ditto. I have the feeling some manufacturers are concerned about using the word "vegan" on their packaging. Unless I see "vegan," I assume there's some sort of animal product in it, until a scan of the ingredients reveals otherwise.
#46 Old 08-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

(3) I never assume anything until I read the detail in the ingredient statement

Although I do get happy when I see the Vegan label on foods... I still read the ingredients

PS, that microwave paella meal rocks... my coworkers think I eat strange food when they look at it, but if they could only taste it But I dont share
#47 Old 08-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

(4) but to me vegetarian means no dead animal or anything made with dead animal. It could or could not have milk/eggs/honey. I don't assume one way or another.
#48 Old 08-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Beginner

2 + 3 for me, mainly 3.
#49 Old 08-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

2 and 3

Vegetarian almost always contains a milk or egg product and I chose 3, also, because I always check everything regardless of it saying 'vegan' on the label. It's habit.
#50 Old 08-08-2004, 03:28 PM

#3 for me. Unless it's a brand I know well, I'm checking the label. A vegan label on your products I would trust. Good stuff, I love the chili

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page