Vegan Protein Alternatives to Meat - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By cuberail
  • 1 Post By Smileyface3364
  • 1 Post By veggie man

#1 Old 08-12-2015, 05:30 AM

Vegan Protein Alternatives to Meat

Presently I am at college so I eat all the meat I need at the grounds feasting corridor, and different spots. I make a point to eat a considerable measure of chicken, and turkey (since I am building). Be that as it may, when summer begins I need to change to a cutting eating routine. Just issue is that amid the mid year I backtrack home with my guardians, and they are strict veggie lovers, they don't even permit meat in the house. So I'm in a problem in light of the fact that I need to eat a considerable measure of protein while cutting so I can hold muscle, yet without meat, in what manner would I be able to do this?

I as of now take 3 scoops of Whey Protein (60 grams) for the duration of the day. I wouldn't fret taking additionally amid the late spring to supplant the absence of meat, yet I heard it is not prescribed to take more than 3 scoops of Whey Protein every day. Furthermore, I additionally heard that protein is better utilized by the body when it originates from physical nourishment, instead of fluid shakes. At any rate the inquiry is, arrive any different options for Chicken, or Turkey that are vegetable? I am interested in Soy Chicken, Soy Turkey, or even Tofu that suggests a flavor like chicken/turkey.

Fundamentally I require a vegetable/non-meat item that will even now give me a great deal of protein with little carbs/fat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-12-2015, 05:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan Protein Alternatives to Meat

Textured vegetable protien
Soy beans cooked
tempeh
tofu
seitan

I'm actually not sure about fake meats so much. You can easily read the nutrition information though.

Don't double your whey amounts. Whey is absorbed fast so drinking 6 scoops at once ain't gonna do you much good.

Last edited by rasitha.wijesekera; 08-12-2015 at 05:47 AM.
#3 Old 08-12-2015, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

this 300-lb vegan, who is a lineman with the chicago bears, does not use protein powder at all.

http://www.gq.com/story/vegan-diet-o...r-david-carter
veggie man likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-12-2015, 08:24 AM
plant-based advocate

I encourage you to google vegan and plant-based body builders. I just did a quick one and found this site among others: http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/...ant-based-diet

Bottom line - it's possible to build muscle mass on a plant-based diet. It's probably a lot healthier in the long run too.

Margaret @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 08-12-2015, 06:09 PM

I'm personally not a fan of whey protein. If you're interested in studies about it, they're all over the Internet, but they're not quality protein sources. Everything has complete protein in it except gelatin. A large banana has roughly 2 grams of protein. If you're looking high protein plant sources, go for rice, beans, asparagus, tofu, tempeh, seitan, texturized vegetable protein, lentils, nuts/seeds, nondairy milk, potatoes. I'm not sure what your aim is for amount of protein is or calories, but it can easily be attainable, especially since you need more calories because you're exercising.

I'll give an example so you can base some idea off of it.
32 oz asparagus (22 G protein)-200 calories
4 cups of rice (17 G protein)-822 calories
2 cups of black beans (28 G)-482 calories
12 oz of tofu (54 G)-493 calories
4 medium sized potatoes (17 G)-644 calories
1 cup of lentils (18 G)-230 calories

Totals: 156 G of protein, 2869 calories
veggie man likes this.
#6 Old 08-12-2015, 09:02 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Antonio,

You are planning a cutting eating routine (caloric restriction), while maintaining a high protein intake, correct?

To this end, you are planning your nutrition around concentrated protein foods, containing very little fat or carbohydrates. There are no unprocessed veg foods that fit this description. Beans, which are among the most protein-rich unprocessed plant foods, only include perhaps 27% of their calories as protein, with the remainder of calories coming from complex carbohydrates.

There are a wide range of processed veg "meats" available, as well as protein powders made from peas, rice, and hemp. These are sources of concentrated vegetable protein.

There ARE vegetarian and vegan bodybuilders (including some champions), but they plan their nutrition differently than you have described.

I recommend these websites, forums, and articles for you:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler53.htm

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/...ant-based-diet

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/nutr...cle-vegan-diet

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 08-12-2015 at 09:06 PM.
#7 Old 08-13-2015, 04:45 AM

I can't help very much, but if there is a Smoothie King where you live, they sell a vegan, plant based protein powder in individual packets and in large containers. I know you said you were looking for solid foods, but if you can't meet your protein goal with just the veggies, grains and legumes, for some reason, then this protein powder might be a nice supplement. Sorry that I don't know how much protein is in one packet.

Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
-Buddha
#8 Old 08-13-2015, 07:42 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuberail View Post
this 300-lb vegan, who is a lineman with the chicago bears, does not use protein powder at all.

http://www.gq.com/story/vegan-diet-o...r-david-carter
Life expectancy for NFL players is, sadly, mid-to late 50s. I'll bet diet is a big part of that. Wishing long life to this fellow!
Jasminedesi16 likes this.
#9 Old 08-13-2015, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie man View Post
Life expectancy for NFL players is, sadly, mid-to late 50s. I'll bet diet is a big part of that. Wishing long life to this fellow!
me, too. i hope he breaks a lot of barriers and sets an example that lots of them follow.

there was a study (Cell Metabolism 19, 407–417, March 4, 2014) about increased mortality and cancer with extra protein, but only if it was from animals or animal products.

hope this guy does really well despite his extra mass and calories.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page