Reasons not to be Vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Not sure if this was posted before:

The trials of being a vegan

1. Most people don't know what it is and can't pronounce it.

2. It's hard to get a decent meal in a restaurant.

3. People who've heard you're a vegan expect you to be really thin when they meet you. Sorry!

4. People expect you to be humorless, strident, and out to convert them.

5. Vinyl shoes are hot, and canvas shoes don't go well with formal wear.

6. Reading small print makes your eyes hurt.

7. Sometimes when you're watching people eat meat, you get kind of queasy.

8. People think you're either depriving or abusing your child.

9. People think you're a radical, tree-hugging peacenik, which maybe you are, but still....

10. Your in-laws think you are strange. Hell, even your own family thinks you are strange!

11. Soymilk isn't served in public schools (at least not in South Carolina).

12. You go to dinner at someone's house. First they try to feed you fish, figuring somehow that fish is a vegetable. When that's politely turned down, they offer you the potatoes smothered in cheese and sour cream. When that still isn't acceptable to you, they rummage around in the fridge to find a head of lettuce for you to graze on. And you told them you were a vegan when they invited you!

13. It's hard to find a good wedding cake.

14. It's hard to make a good birthday cake for your child.

15. Your office parties are catered by Piggie Park (an actual barbeque place in S.C.).

16. You find the perfect blouse to go with your new skirt, only to read the label and find out it's silk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

So far all of my husband's office parties at his new job have been catered by BBQ joints.
#3 Old 08-02-2004, 11:00 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Thanks
#5 Old 08-02-2004, 12:56 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

The main thing holding me back is when I eat away from Home. At home my diet is say 90-95% vegan. But I often eat out on the run/ from catering vans at work/ from the supermarket I work/ at friends/ at restaurants/ random eating I can't think of

It's so hard to have an option there. Also I find it hard to say no when friends are considerate and order around me and I dont want the cheese or eggs...

Never been into leather or fur. Avoid animal tested stuff- but have a tight budget

K
#6 Old 08-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't really like the title of the thread. More like problems with being vegan, as opposed to reasons to not be vegan, would have been better.

But maybe I'm just being pedantic :P
#7 Old 08-02-2004, 04:02 PM

I'm with you Descentia.
#8 Old 08-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I decided not to spend four hours thinking about a thread title that would be appropriate. Next time I'll know better!
#9 Old 08-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I was beginning to become concerned about my deja vu......
#10 Old 08-02-2004, 07:04 PM

It's funny. Being vegan is really hard by alot of people's standards. There are so many food restrictions, you know. And then there are alot of restrictions on everything else, like what you can wear, or what companies you can buy from (or invest in). The thing is, though, I don't find any of it to be hard at all. I suppose, because for all I'm having to change and live without and re-discover, etc., the alternative is so much worse.

In order to escape the demands of being vegan, I have to eat meat and dairy again, and that's just not an option any more. It's amazing how liberating not having a choice can be.

The Rev
#11 Old 08-02-2004, 07:06 PM
Banned

It says on there that it's hard to find a good wedding cake. Yeah, right. Vegan cakes are far superior to lacto-ovo ones. Be serious. You can order one here: www.stickyfingersbakery.com
#12 Old 08-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

IMO, it can be really difficult to be vegan if you are a purist. This is why I am afraid to call myself "vegan" in some circles. I think you have to draw the line somewhere and everybody draws it at a different place. There are animal products in just about everything, even tires of your car, etc. etc. Right now, having only been vegan for 4 months, I just do the best I can and I don't sweat it if I don't do it perfectly. For instance, if I'm out at a restaurant I might eat the bread (without butter), not knowing whether there are any egg or dairy products in there. Chances are there aren't, and even if there are, it might be a minute amount. The reason I don't make a fuss about it is, I usually go out to eat with non-vegetarians and I don't want to nitpick over every detail and make them think it really sucks to be vegan. At home it is super easy to be vegan, but my friends don't see that part of it, so I am conscious of the impression I am making in their company. Case in point: yesterday I was at the Olive Garden and I ordered the Bruschetta, asking them to please not put any cheese on the bread. Well, the order came and there was a little bit of parmesan sprinkled on it. Instead of sending it back and making everybody at the table wait to eat their appetizer, I just scraped off my piece the best I could and ate it anyway. Or with the BK Veggie...am I contributing any more to animal suffering by letting them grill it on the grill as opposed to microwaving it? I don't really think so. Sorry if a bit OT!
#13 Old 08-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't prefer to think of these things as "reasons not to be vegan" or "problems with being vegan." i like to think of them as new challenges to be overcome.

this is how i prefer to look at it:

1. I like educating and having conversations about my lifestyle with people.

2. It's not THAT hard to get a decent meal in a restaurant if you're not too picky and know where to look. and it's healthier and cheaper to eat at home anyway.

3. I don't really care what other people think or expect.

4. I enjoy proving pompus/biased people wrong.

5. I find that most synthetic material actually breathes better than leather, and all my vinyl dress shoes are open toed.

6. Reading small print makes your eyes hurt... but isn't it great when they put all the dairy ingredients in boldtype or put "vegetarian" before the ingredients on the canned soup?

7. I don't stare at people while they're chowing down on their steak... i concentrate on my own food.

8. Again, I don't care what people think.

9. I'm proud to be a radical, tree-hugging peacenik- liberals deserve more respect in america!

10. My future in-laws buy boca bugers/brats for me at all their barbecues, and are pretty open to discussion on my views. My own family thinks i'm strange, but then again they are all conservative, george w. loving meat eaters. they are still open to trying my tofutti cuties and peanut ginger soup though, so it all evens out.

11. of course soymilk isn't served in public schools, they are sponsored by the US government which gets loads of money from the meat & dairy industry. all the more reason to pack a bagged lunch and show off your delicious veggie food.

12. if i'm close enough to someone to be invited to dinner at their house, they usually know what i will and will not eat. otherwise, i bring something to share and accept their salad offerings.

13. There are great vegan cake recepies on most veg sites including vegweb.com. bake your own, or have a friend bake one for you

14. see #13.

15. Again, a great opportunity to show your co-workers how great your homemade veggie food is.

16. You find the perfect blouse to go with your new skirt, only to read the label and find out it's silk- but when you finally find the non-cruel alternative to your silk blouse, you can wow everyone with your compassionate sense of style.

i know it seems idealistic- what can i say, i'm extremely happy and positive today.

julie

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
#14 Old 08-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Excellent post vegbunny!!!
#15 Old 08-03-2004, 12:43 AM
Beginner

colourful: i take your approach to veganism as well. i do the best that i possibly can, and try to make as little fuss as possible when eating out with friends (have to admit that i make more of a fuss when with my family and my bf though...)
#16 Old 08-03-2004, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I'm too lazy to be vegan I'll stick w/veggie for now
#17 Old 08-03-2004, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I think there are a lot of restrictions on any diet/lifestyle. You know, like, "don't make mudpies in front of guests." "Don't wear white after labor day" "Don't talk with your mouthful" "Don't buy sleazy magazines"

It's not any harder being a vegan than a general member of society with a sense of embarassment.
#18 Old 08-03-2004, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

An update on #13: www.stickyfingersbakery.com Or any other vegan caterer/bakery
#19 Old 08-03-2004, 08:29 AM
Beginner

Building on the other thread:

31. Trying to cook for visiting family members when you know they hate vegetables. And we are not just talking about the kids!

I totally agree with vegbunny83 about seeing things in a positive light. But I do believe that life is easier for most earthlings that don't think a wit about food, clothes, cleaning products, etc. Then there's an even bigger but...BUT ultimately vegans are happy (despite the trials and tribulations) because they are truly trying to make the earth a friendlier, happier place.

I love vegans

p.s. I feel you colorful...
#20 Old 08-03-2004, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

It's funny. Being vegan is really hard by alot of people's standards. There are so many food restrictions, you know. And then there are alot of restrictions on everything else, like what you can wear, or what companies you can buy from (or invest in). The thing is, though, I don't find any of it to be hard at all. I suppose, because for all I'm having to change and live without and re-discover, etc., the alternative is so much worse.

The Rev

Going vegetarian was the easiest thing I have ever done, and a lot of people I speak to think that it's difficult. But when you recognize what your 'meat' is - a dead animal - it's really easy to not want to be a part of that. I'm still struggling with veganism, and it's not because it's hard to eat, it's just because I'm, well, because I'm selfish, and I'm trying to be better!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page