i don't prefer to think of these things as "reasons not to be vegan" or "problems with being vegan." i like to think of them as new challenges to be overcome.
this is how i prefer to look at it:
1. I like educating and having conversations about my lifestyle with people.
2. It's not THAT hard to get a decent meal in a restaurant if you're not too picky and know where to look. and it's healthier and cheaper to eat at home anyway.
3. I don't really care what other people think or expect.
4. I enjoy proving pompus/biased people wrong.
5. I find that most synthetic material actually breathes better than leather, and all my vinyl dress shoes are open toed.
6. Reading small print makes your eyes hurt... but isn't it great when they put all the dairy ingredients in boldtype or put "vegetarian" before the ingredients on the canned soup?
7. I don't stare at people while they're chowing down on their steak... i concentrate on my own food.
8. Again, I don't care what people think.
9. I'm proud to be a radical, tree-hugging peacenik- liberals deserve more respect in america!
10. My future in-laws buy boca bugers/brats for me at all their barbecues, and are pretty open to discussion on my views. My own family thinks i'm strange, but then again they are all conservative, george w. loving meat eaters. they are still open to trying my tofutti cuties and peanut ginger soup though, so it all evens out.
11. of course soymilk isn't served in public schools, they are sponsored by the US government which gets loads of money from the meat & dairy industry. all the more reason to pack a bagged lunch and show off your delicious veggie food.
12. if i'm close enough to someone to be invited to dinner at their house, they usually know what i will and will not eat. otherwise, i bring something to share and accept their salad offerings.
13. There are great vegan cake recepies on most veg sites including vegweb.com. bake your own, or have a friend bake one for you
14. see #13.
15. Again, a great opportunity to show your co-workers how great your homemade veggie food is.
16. You find the perfect blouse to go with your new skirt, only to read the label and find out it's silk- but when you finally find the non-cruel alternative to your silk blouse, you can wow everyone with your compassionate sense of style.
i know it seems idealistic- what can i say, i'm extremely happy and positive today.