A meat eating accident - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

#1 Old 08-10-2015, 01:49 AM

A meat eating accident

I had an accident a couple of days ago. I bit into a "Quorn burger" at a local pub and had a couple of mouthfuls before thinking, "this tastes a bit meaty". On closer inspection I realised they'd mistakenly served me a beef burger and I'd eaten some of it.

Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else here, and if so, what are you thoughts on how to best deal with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-10-2015, 02:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't so much "accidentally" or ever intentionally bitten into any animal product but have had two similar situations. The first was when I went to an eastern Indian restaurant with my Mom and sister. I always speak up either ahead by phone or to the server to make sure they understand my needs and desires as a vegan. I will ask about the dishes I am ordering and make sure they are vegan. This particular restaurant used ghee (clarified butter) to cook all their rice, and I asked if they could make a batch without it. after some hassle (the server insisted it would be a lot of trouble for the cook to have to make ONE batch without ghee) the server went back to ask the cook and she came back within seconds and said it would be fine. Fortunately she brought out my rice separately from the vegetables because the minute I tasted it I just KNEW there was butter in it, even though I had not eaten butter in years. In that case I simply did not eat it and said nothing. I should have mentioned it.

It happened again at another restaurant where I ordered a signature vegan salad. The "feta" in it was supposed to be tofu, but again I bit into this "feta" and it was way too much like actual cheese. I immediately called a server over and mentioned it and she took it back and replaced it with another salad with tofu. She also profusely apologized. It had not been her error but the cook's because I had explicitely made sure the dish I was ordering was actually vegan.

Though I rarely eat out, in most cases I have not had this kind of problem at all when I have eaten out and these were isolated incidents.

Did you speak up to the staff at the pub about your burger? You have a right to. It might have been an honest mistake but you paid for the meal and have a right to get what you ask for.

Other than that, it's not something I would stress over. It was beyond your control until after the first few bites when you realized it was meat. Sometimes this sort of thing happens. It doesn't make you less of a vegetarian or vegan. I wouldn't worry about it. I would just make sure the wait staff/cook understands the mistake so maybe they will be more careful in the future. They don't want to lose their customers and they want to hear about these incidences so they can improve, you know? At least I would hope so.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 08-10-2015, 02:57 AM
Banned

For me, I don't go to non-vegan restaurants anymore.

However prior to going vegan I've had many such situations. Mostly it was my fault for not remembering to the check the ingredients ("this tastes funny..." *flips box over* "GAH!"), but on occasion you'll get the restaurant mishap as well.

It's one thing for fluent English-speakings to F up your order, it's quite another when you're in a foreign country.

I was in Tokyo at a restaurant in one of the train stations situated around the city (I forget what district), and I had ordered Soba. I had insisted to the apparently-less-than-english-speaking server in my best japanese at the time that I wanted "NO FISH". NONE. NONE AT ALL. And I would think that from the guy nodding his head that he'd gotten the picture: Soba with no fish.

When the food was delivered and I took a bite... "Goddamn it."

As much as it frustrated me, I didn't know japanese well enough to complain, let alone explain that my desire to exclude fish from the soba INCLUDED excluding it from the broth.

That seems to be a prevailing issue, in Japan at least: It's not fish if it's part of the broth.

Generally speaking, eating vegan in the commercial areas of Japan was notoriously difficult because of the prevalence of fish.

I don't visit restaurants anymore unless they have a salad bar or they're explicitly vegan restaurants.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-10-2015, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Oh yes, several times. Just a couple of weeks ago, my husband brought me a tub of strawberry coconut milk ice cream from the health food shop. I was hungry so I grabbed a spoon and dug in without inspecting the label. After a few spoonfuls, I was curious as to why I'd never seen this brand of vegan ice cream before and that's when I read that it has egg in it. My husband hadn't thought to look for egg, as it said "non dairy" in big letters across the front, and who puts egg in strawberry ice cream?! It was my own fault for not reading the label. I put the spoon down, assured my husband that I appreciated the gesture, and found something else to eat.

I've been served a "tofu" burrito that was really beef and, again, just bit right into it without looking. Like you, I knew instantly that something was wrong. I haven't eaten meat in so many years that I don't actually recognise the taste, I just know that something isn't right. I spit out the mouthful, rinsed my mouth with water, and got a replacement burrito.

I'd wager that it happens to all of us. It's never a pleasant experience but what can you do except move on and be more careful next time? Now I try to always inspect something before eating it, but I still get lazy or over-confident sometimes.
Purp likes this.
#5 Old 08-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

If meat doesn't bother your system if you consume it then no big deal. That is the case with most vegetarians who have only been so for a little while. If you have been vegan for a long time and especially if you have a very clean system from being on a very pure raw diet, then small amounts of meats and other bad energy substances can get you sick. Take note that there are people who will die from accidentally ingesting something that affects their system adversely. There is an answer in these situations to prevent these people from ending up dead and from getting sick. Does anybody know the answer?

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

http://TRUEHEALTHHAPPENS.COM

#6 Old 08-10-2015, 11:14 AM

it hasn't ever happened to me yet, but i think if it ever did i would definitely kick up a fuss and complain. I actually do feel pretty unwell after i eat meat, and sometimes i am sick the next day. Luckily i hardly ever eat out so hopefully it won't happen to me (fingers crossed)
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 08-10-2015, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a rule for myself (simply because of my paranoia of wrongly being served meat): Do not get meat alternatives from restaurants that also serve meat. But if there is no other choice at the restaurant, I would check first before biting into it.
Purp likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#8 Old 08-10-2015, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to a Vietnamese cafe with a friend once. She ordered shrimp spring rolls and I ordered veggie spring rolls. They brought us both shrimp and I sent mine back. We each ordered a main course, hers with fried rice and mine with steamed (to avoid the egg), they brought us both fried rice. That time I moved the egg to the side (it was large pieces so they were easy to avoid) and ate the rest of the dish.
Purp likes this.
#9 Old 08-11-2015, 08:29 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Once I ordered eggplant, and ended up with chicken. I sent it back.

Another time, I was told that a dish contained mushrooms.....which turned out to be ground beef. It didn't stay with me very long.

Lately, I've tried to eat mostly fruits & veggies.....or something that has ingredients that are readily identifiable.

Like the saying.... eat something from a plant, not manufactured in a plant.
Purp likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#10 Old 08-13-2015, 12:53 AM

Last week me and my friends were going to a house party and everyone ahd to bring something they cooked. People mostly brought thing with meat, so I didn't have much to eat (except for the dessert I guess), but my friend had cooked some kind of food with not very small pieces of meat in it. So I decided to give it a try and push the meat aside, but there was a bite where I simply didn't look, it was a smaller piece of meat, so I ate it. I didn't want to spit it out, as it wouldn't have been polite. I didn't make a fuss over it, actually, it was my fault and it was by accident.

There was another time, I went to a camp in some kind of a facility, I specifically told them beforehand not to put any meat or fish (Japanese people seem to think that fish is a vegetable or something, so I have to make a clear distinction). At lunch they gave us the food, it had shrimp in it. Well... obviously, what I should have done is name all the sea creatures that exist in this world so they would understand. I just send it back and they gave me something without meat.

Also, I noticed that Japanese people consider miso soup vegetarian and whenever I ask if it has fish in it, they would say no. However, miso is made from a kind of a paste which contains fish (it's called dashi). So I also sent that back and they gave me another kind of soup withot any meat or fish or whatever sea creature I haven't named yet.
#11 Old 08-13-2015, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chou View Post
Last week me and my friends were going to a house party and everyone ahd to bring something they cooked. People mostly brought thing with meat, so I didn't have much to eat (except for the dessert I guess), but my friend had cooked some kind of food with not very small pieces of meat in it. So I decided to give it a try and push the meat aside, but there was a bite where I simply didn't look, it was a smaller piece of meat, so I ate it. I didn't want to spit it out, as it wouldn't have been polite. I didn't make a fuss over it, actually, it was my fault and it was by accident.

There was another time, I went to a camp in some kind of a facility, I specifically told them beforehand not to put any meat or fish (Japanese people seem to think that fish is a vegetable or something, so I have to make a clear distinction). At lunch they gave us the food, it had shrimp in it. Well... obviously, what I should have done is name all the sea creatures that exist in this world so they would understand. I just send it back and they gave me something without meat.

Also, I noticed that Japanese people consider miso soup vegetarian and whenever I ask if it has fish in it, they would say no. However, miso is made from a kind of a paste which contains fish (it's called dashi). So I also sent that back and they gave me another kind of soup withot any meat or fish or whatever sea creature I haven't named yet.
Is all miso soup made with fish?!
Purp likes this.
#12 Old 08-13-2015, 05:19 AM

This incident was completely my fault. I just went vegan so I'm still trying to break old habits. A few days ago I was eating lunch with a friend at a little restaurant that we frequent. Broccoli cheese soup was my absolute favorite soup before becoming vegan. Well, it was on the specialty menu that day and I ordered it without thinking. My friend tried to warn me, but I ignored him because he only said "Are you sure you want that", and the server new I was vegan, but didn't want to overstep her boundaries by telling me not to eat it so, minutes later it was served to me. I took one bite looked into the bowl and said a dirty word followed by "this is cheese!". We flagged down the server and she kindly replaced the soup with a salad. I also let her know that it was perfectly ok to warn me when I'm ordering something non-vegan.

The moral of the story is that it's ok to slip up; just ask for the correct food and move on. Also, if you are going to eat out a lot it never hurts to develop a rapport with the staff
Purp and no whey jose like this.

Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
-Buddha
#13 Old 08-13-2015, 05:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave
Once I ordered eggplant, and ended up with chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Is all miso soup made with fish?!
No. Chou is mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chou
However, miso is made from a kind of a paste which contains fish (it's called dashi).
Dashi is the catch-all name for 'broth' in Japan. It does not necessarily contain fish.

Kombu Dashi and Shiitake Dashi for example are made from seaweed and mushrooms respectively and are therefore vegan.

That said, most Dashi IS made from fish. Niboshi Dashi is made from sardines and most general Dashi is made from skipjack tuna called Katsuoboshi.

The general rule of thumb is NOT to purchase anything containing Dashi unless it specifically states that it is Kombu Dashi, Shiitake Dashi, or some other vegan alternative. If you are at a restaurant, I recommend prying the waiter/waitress for the exact ingredients before purchasing any kind of Japanese soup or noodle bowl.

Last edited by Dogma; 08-13-2015 at 05:56 AM.
#14 Old 08-13-2015, 06:45 AM
Beginner

Once at an Indian buffet I started scarfing down what I thought were eggplant slices. I discovered too late they were "medallions of beef".

It must have scarred my psyche because I still hold a grudge, even tough this happened in 1987!
Purp likes this.
#15 Old 08-13-2015, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie man View Post
Once at an Indian buffet I started scarfing down what I thought were eggplant slices. I discovered too late they were "medallions of beef".

It must have scarred my psyche because I still hold a grudge, even tough this happened in 1987!
Did you call them medallions or did the restaurant call them medallions?
Purp likes this.
#16 Old 08-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I was at a French Restaurant in Alexandria, there was a veggie wrap that I asked was vegan, I was told that it was and when I finally got it and bit into there were bacon crumbles all over it. I don't know if it was imitation bacon bits or not but I didn't trust so I gave it to a friend. I found a vegan place (a good thing about around DC is there are vegan places EVERYWHERE) and picked up something there. I am really paranoid about accidentally eating meat, I will even get dreams about accidentally eating it.
Purp, no whey jose and Linky like this.
#17 Old 08-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post

No. Chou is mistaken.

Dashi is the catch-all name for 'broth' in Japan. It does not necessarily contain fish.

Kombu Dashi and Shiitake Dashi for example are made from seaweed and mushrooms respectively and are therefore vegan.

That said, most Dashi IS made from fish. Niboshi Dashi is made from sardines and most general Dashi is made from skipjack tuna called Katsuoboshi.

The general rule of thumb is NOT to purchase anything containing Dashi unless it specifically states that it is Kombu Dashi, Shiitake Dashi, or some other vegan alternative. If you are at a restaurant, I recommend prying the waiter/waitress for the exact ingredients before purchasing any kind of Japanese soup or noodle bowl.
Thanks for the clarification. I've definitely ordered miso soup at restaurants before. From now on I'll be more careful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
Yes, I was at a French Restaurant in Alexandria, there was a veggie wrap that I asked was vegan, I was told that it was and when I finally got it and bit into there were bacon crumbles all over it. I don't know if it was imitation bacon bits or not but I didn't trust so I gave it to a friend. I found a vegan place (a good thing about around DC is there are vegan places EVERYWHERE) and picked up something there. I am really paranoid about accidentally eating meat, I will even get dreams about accidentally eating it.
I dream about accidentally eating animal products, too!
Purp and Jasminedesi16 like this.
#18 Old 08-13-2015, 03:30 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Did you call them medallions or did the restaurant call them medallions?
They called them "beef medallions". A repugnant term glorifying a sad reality, in my opinion!
Purp likes this.
#19 Old 08-13-2015, 04:57 PM

ate a few samosas before noticing that they didn't taste quite right..they were chicken samosas...the veg and the chicken boxes are nearly identical...and it came from an online order, so the picker must have made a mistake.
Purp likes this.

#20 Old 08-13-2015, 06:58 PM
cinnamon bun

I ate go veggie's american slices before without realizing they contain casein ;-_- their other flavors are vegan but... why put casein in "go veggie" cheese???
Purp and Jasminedesi16 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#21 Old 08-13-2015, 07:43 PM
jmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg moo View Post
I ate go veggie's american slices before without realizing they contain casein ;-_- their other flavors are vegan but... why put casein in "go veggie" cheese???
Yup. Before moving I checked on my local grocer's non-dairy cheeses and asked the same question. Since moving, I've found decent American style slices that are vegan. I gotta say, they aren't bad, in fact they are good I should note I cannot say I'm vegan out of respect, but I seek things that are while exploring.
#22 Old 08-14-2015, 03:02 AM

casein enables a cheese to melt in that rubbery gooey way. I haven't read of a vegetable source for the stuff.

#23 Old 08-14-2015, 04:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie man View Post
They called them "beef medallions". A repugnant term glorifying a sad reality, in my opinion!
"Oh no, sir, those aren't bits of tofu... that's 'jeweled pork'."
Purp and veggie man like this.
#24 Old 08-14-2015, 05:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Haha! I did that. GoVeggie's shredded cheese has casein in it. I'm allergic to casein. Took me a bit to figure out that the "veggie" cheese had dairy in it. It ended with fun times at the specialists office.
Purp likes this.
#25 Old 08-14-2015, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I know, right? Ridiculous.
Purp, veggie man and meg moo like this.
#26 Old 08-30-2015, 12:21 AM
Longtime vegetarian

In 27 years, it's only happened once.

About 10 years ago, I was VERY sick after being bitten by a black widow spider. For days I couldn't eat...couldn't keep ANYTHING down...and had wicked chills and nausea and pain. My best friend was coming over every day to check on me, and to take care of my 'kids' (assorted dogs, cats, and birds at the time). When I started feeling better she wanted to make sure I was eating, even just a little at a time. She's a really good cook, and loves feeding people! (She has Italian roots.) She brought over a container of French onion soup she'd made. I ate a little now, a little later, a little the next day, etc. It NEVER occurred to me not to. She's known since we first met that I was vegetarian. So...any guesses?

Fast forward several years. We're now living in different states. I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, and as soon as surgery was scheduled, she arranged to be here afterward to help take care of me. (I was FLATTENED by it, for months.) So one day while she was here she asked if I'd like French onion soup, and I said yes. Then talk went to its base, and I commented that using vegetable broth would be just fine...and she remarked that she'd never done that before. OMFG! I didn't flinch, I didn't say a word, but this AWFUL feeling rushed over me as I realized what that meant, i.e., when I ate the earlier soup...she made it like she always does...with beef broth.

There is *NO* question in my mind that this was 100% accidental on her part. There is no way she would deliberately sabotage me like that. I chalk it up to the fact that she's been making that soup for years and years--could do it in her sleep, you know?--and just mindlessly threw her normal ingredients into the pot and went at it. If it had been something more, I don't know, meaty, like a casserole with ground beef or something, I don't see how it would've happened, but so many people don't even give any thought to broth.

In terms of accidentally eating meat, such as a hamburger, I'm VERY careful. When I order a burger from a fast-food place, first I make them repeat back to me "VEGGIE burger" blah blah blah. But before I ever take a bite I pull back the bun and actually LOOK at it. I stay away from fake meat in most other dishes when eating out/ordering in; for example, although the Asian restaurants around here have vegan/vegetarian menus--which include meat substitutes--I don't order those. I stick with tofu. I don't want any surprises if it turns out the FAKE meat is actually MEAT meat.
Purp and no whey jose like this.

Last edited by VeggieSince88; 08-30-2015 at 12:25 AM.
#27 Old 08-30-2015, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
When I order a burger from a fast-food place,
What's a "fast-food place"?
Purp likes this.
#28 Old 08-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Son of Jupiter

Send a message via Skype™ to Linky
This kind of accident hasn't happened to me yet but.... I'm not under the delusion that I'll never make a mistake and order something seemingly harmless like Miso soup only to find it has fish in it, but I am kind of nit-picky about when I eat. All of my meals tend to come from my own kitchen even though I'm not that good a cook. My brother thought I was "Playing it safe" by making meals in the house or by taking food to work/school, but it's just that I'm a cheap Great Ape. Eating or ordering out cost too much for me. xD

If I am hanging out with one of my few friends then I always eat a big meal before leaving the house. That way, they can eat whatever they wish while I save my money and the possibility of eating some flesh, period, pus etc.
#29 Old 08-30-2015, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
In 27 years, it's only happened once.

About 10 years ago, I was VERY sick after being bitten by a black widow spider. For days I couldn't eat...couldn't keep ANYTHING down...and had wicked chills and nausea and pain. My best friend was coming over every day to check on me, and to take care of my 'kids' (assorted dogs, cats, and birds at the time). When I started feeling better she wanted to make sure I was eating, even just a little at a time. She's a really good cook, and loves feeding people! (She has Italian roots.) She brought over a container of French onion soup she'd made. I ate a little now, a little later, a little the next day, etc. It NEVER occurred to me not to. She's known since we first met that I was vegetarian. So...any guesses?

Fast forward several years. We're now living in different states. I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, and as soon as surgery was scheduled, she arranged to be here afterward to help take care of me. (I was FLATTENED by it, for months.) So one day while she was here she asked if I'd like French onion soup, and I said yes. Then talk went to its base, and I commented that using vegetable broth would be just fine...and she remarked that she'd never done that before. OMFG! I didn't flinch, I didn't say a word, but this AWFUL feeling rushed over me as I realized what that meant, i.e., when I ate the earlier soup...she made it like she always does...with beef broth.

There is *NO* question in my mind that this was 100% accidental on her part. There is no way she would deliberately sabotage me like that. I chalk it up to the fact that she's been making that soup for years and years--could do it in her sleep, you know?--and just mindlessly threw her normal ingredients into the pot and went at it. If it had been something more, I don't know, meaty, like a casserole with ground beef or something, I don't see how it would've happened, but so many people don't even give any thought to broth.

In terms of accidentally eating meat, such as a hamburger, I'm VERY careful. When I order a burger from a fast-food place, first I make them repeat back to me "VEGGIE burger" blah blah blah. But before I ever take a bite I pull back the bun and actually LOOK at it. I stay away from fake meat in most other dishes when eating out/ordering in; for example, although the Asian restaurants around here have vegan/vegetarian menus--which include meat substitutes--I don't order those. I stick with tofu. I don't want any surprises if it turns out the FAKE meat is actually MEAT meat.
Tell her to use mushroom broth instead. It will taste better (trust me).
no whey jose likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#30 Old 08-31-2015, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
Tell her to use mushroom broth instead. It will taste better (trust me).
I can vouch for mushroom broth-- and I hate mushrooms!
Purp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page