VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/)
-   -   I feel sad... (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/186897-i-feel-sad.html)

SilverCat 08-09-2015 07:45 AM

I feel sad...

I became a vegetarian not many days ago. Now I feel sad when people eat meat, acting "yummy". And I feel sad when I see all the tasty food lying on the table I used to eat.

And sometimes I kind of feel left alone in a group when they eat meat.

Any similar experiences ?

Capstan 08-09-2015 08:07 AM

I'm in retirement, and do all my own cooking. I never eat out. But I don't feel sad, even though I know what's going on outside my door, in other households. I see plenty of it on TV. In a way, I feel privileged, which is not to say, superior. I well remember, I used to be just like them.

On second thought, I do feel sad sometimes- even cry- over all the injustices I see going on in the world. I think we would not be human, if we didn't feel that way sometimes.

AdorableMogwai 08-09-2015 08:10 AM

I don't feel sad or left out no, I just feel proud. You should feel proud too because you're doing the right thing.

no whey jose 08-09-2015 08:20 AM

I don't feel sad at all because corpses aren't yummy or food. I see parts of dead bodies on the table and I have absolutely no desire to put them in my mouth. Meat is disgusting!

cuberail 08-09-2015 08:44 AM

i feel sad for all the animals that got murdered and tortured.

i feel sad that people enjoy eating that.

i feel sad that people don't care.

i really try hard not to think about it.

Jinga 08-09-2015 10:28 AM

It's normal to feel isolated at food centered events, especially when you first become veg. While I don't feel sad about not eating the meat itself, it can be hard to deal with things like not having many food veg choices offered, the nostalgia associated with past family meals, and generally feeling left out and not understanding why others don't see things as you do.

ocrob37 08-09-2015 11:17 AM

I don't have many issues eating a plant based diet. I don't seem to get judged at all. I don't mind people eating meat in front of me because it is their decision and not mine. I do get very annoyed how these food shows glamorize eating meat. I don't get this fascination with bacon. Some of these disgusting slobs seem to think they are macho because they eat meat. I find some of them repulsive. I hate to say it, but enjoy watching Anthony Bordain. He is definitely not a supporter of a plant based diet, but I do enjoy watching him.

SteveW 08-09-2015 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuberail (Post 3742865)

Pretty much this.

It's quite natural to feel isolated when 10 of your mates are all eating burgers and you're sat with a salad but you have to remind yourself the reasons why you're doing it.

lookforstars 08-09-2015 04:06 PM

it's normal to feel sad sometimes. What's important is that you have made that decision to become vegan, and that's amazing. Every time you eat a meal you are choosing to not contribute to animal cruelty - and i think that's pretty incredible :)

runnerveggie 08-09-2015 05:19 PM

This is normal, and it will get better. Could you have some friends over for a veggie dinner? If you are eating at someone's house, you could bring a veggie dish to share.

Some restaurants have really crappy veggie options, but I try to remind myself that I'm there to socialize with my friends. If I can get a nice meal too, that is just a bonus. If I know I'm going to a non-veggie friendly place (like Cracker Barrel or a steakhouse), I will eat a substantial snack beforehand so I don't feel too hungry. Thankfully this isn't necessary very often. I do try to scope out veggie options ahead of time and steer my friends toward more veggie friendly places when possible.

I hope that you can feel a little better knowing that you are doing the right thing in reducing your harm to animals.

mrgrimm 08-09-2015 06:57 PM

Hopefully as time goes on things will get easier for you.

I am learning that maybe I am just better off sticking with my wife and kids. None of us eat meat anymore, and it's hard for me to be around family members and others that act like they can't even go one day, much less one MEAL without having some kind of meat in it. Sometimes one just has to remove themselves from potentially harmful situations to find peace of mind.

My brother once told me that he would never put an animal before any member of our family - I told him that's something I will never agree with him on.

It's all in how strong you want to be, and how focused you will remain. You have made the choice for a reason, now stand tough and go to bed every night proud that you are fighting the good fight!

SilverCat 08-10-2015 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgrimm (Post 3743289)
Hopefully as time goes on things will get easier for you.

I am learning that maybe I am just better off sticking with my wife and kids. None of us eat meat anymore, and it's hard for me to be around family members and others that act like they can't even go one day, much less one MEAL without having some kind of meat in it. Sometimes one just has to remove themselves from potentially harmful situations to find peace of mind.

My brother once told me that he would never put an animal before any member of our family - I told him that's something I will never agree with him on.

It's all in how strong you want to be, and how focused you will remain. You have made the choice for a reason, now stand tough and go to bed every night proud that you are fighting the good fight!

Alright! :D Thanks

MrVegi 08-11-2015 02:38 AM

You should feel happy that you have the motivation not to eat it and that's something those people will never have.

Vegan Dave 08-11-2015 08:23 PM

When I see people eating meat, I see the animal being abused for that meat. IOW, a steak congers up the cow being slaughtered to make the steak. Buffalo wings invoke images of chickens being processed.

When I went veg*n, I watched a lot of documentaries on the meat industry, etc. and those images stuck with me.

I hate the smiling pig outside the Bar-B-Que joint, or the happy cows on milk ads.

There are no happy animals in the production of meat and dairy products. :(

SilverCat 08-11-2015 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegan Dave (Post 3746393)
When I see people eating meat, I see the animal being abused for that meat. IOW, a steak congers up the cow being slaughtered to make the steak. Buffalo wings invoke images of chickens being processed.

When I went veg*n, I watched a lot of documentaries on the meat industry, etc. and those images stuck with me.

I hate the smiling pig outside the Bar-B-Que joint, or the happy cows on milk ads.

That is a good way to cope....

rasitha.wijesekera 08-12-2015 04:43 PM

Not really. I never really thought of meat as "yummy" food. a vegetarian for ethical reasons would probably feel saddened by meat rather than not being able to eat it.

Chou 08-13-2015 12:36 AM

I think you have to remind yourself what are your reasons for not eating meat and how strong you feel about them.
In my case, I've never been a fan of meat itself (more like the tastiness of the entire dish, cause who doesn't like tasty food?), so I don't feel anything when I see it on the table and everyone else is eating it. Actually, what I do is, I always look for the dish without meat and just ignore the meat cause it's not interesting to me.

You could watch some horrible videos from animal factories, but I think people who eat meat also watched them and are aware of what's happening. Just watching some videos is not a strong enough reason to give up meat for a long period of time, at least, not for most people. You never said what your reasons were so I don't know what advice I could give you, other than remind yourself of those reasons, see how strong they are. If you still feel sad that you cannot eat that meat, maybe you should reconsider your diet. But anyway, just give it time, try it for awhile (you said it's only been days), see how it works out for you. How you feel, physically and mentally.

As for the social interraction, don't feel left out, it's not the food that brings you all together. If you are friends, then eating meat or not should not be a problem. When I go out with my friends, I simply order a non-meat dish, they are eating theirs, I am eating mine (sometimes it's even more delicious, varied and healthier than the fat meat they are eating), we talk, we have fun, no problem. We don't even discuss vegetarianism.

Ad Elie 08-13-2015 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverCat (Post 3742793)
I became a vegetarian not many days ago. Now I feel sad when people eat meat, acting "yummy". And I feel sad when I see all the tasty food lying on the table I used to eat.

And sometimes I kind of feel left alone in a group when they eat meat.

Any similar experiences ?

I've been a vegetarian for a few years. It anoys me when my family keeps on lyrically praising meat and I know they do it just because I'm here. But sad ? I don't get sad because of it. It feels more like I'm a different animal, like I'm a guinea-pig happily eating with rats.

Vegan Dave 08-13-2015 01:14 PM

I would like to add that I feel sad that the animals that are eaten never have the chance to enjoy a normal life.

A life lived in fear is no life at all.

If I was a millionaire, I'd have a huge animal sanctuary!! :)

Purp 08-17-2015 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegan Dave (Post 3746393)

I'm glad it wasn't just me who feels this way. I felt that way long before I even knew what a vegetarian is.

mr_falafel 08-18-2015 04:10 AM

It sounds to me like you might be thinking about it too much. You might find it easier to just objectively look past meat items and focus on all the good things that you CAN eat rather than those you can't.

Having said that (and I might get shot down for saying this), if you persist for some time and you don't find the satisfaction of not supporting the animal slaughter trade doesn't offset the pleasure gained from eating mean, then maybe vegetarianism isn't for you? Don't give up after a few weeks though!

Rad14 08-18-2015 05:12 AM

Sad...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuberail (Post 3742865)

This. Of course you are going to feel "different", we are!