How far would you go if you only had meat, without eating them? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 75Likes

#61 Old 08-13-2015, 01:20 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Eskimos are the only people I can think of that just eat a diet of mostly meat.

If I was in the Arctic, I'd find an apple, build a fire, defrost it, and eat it.
Naturebound and veggie man like this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 08-13-2015, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

A little off-topic perhaps, but I thought you might get a kick out of it.
Well, I certainly did. Thanks for posting that!
#63 Old 08-13-2015, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
Only if you assume the word, animal, is always inclusive of human-beings, which, in common usage, it is not.
Then my following statement stands.

Regardless, I prefer 'non-human' to 'animal'.

Saying 'humans are not animals' is liking saying 'fish are not animals',
and saying 'fish are not animals' is like saying 'fish are not meat',
and saying 'fish are not meat' is like staring into the sun expecting gain to laser vision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 08-13-2015, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva
i'm with you on surviving. we are, after all, animals ourselves.
What are you implying about animals?

Dogma:"I get the impression that you're making some sort of negative distinction about animals, since asserting your similarities to animals seems a strange way to rationalize eating them."

i meant that in case of either starving or eating another animal i would expect humans to have the same survival instinct that any other animal would. Herbivours will eat meat if needed, and we are omnivores. the attitude of 'I'd rather die than eat meat" seems pretty pompous to me.
#65 Old 08-13-2015, 03:58 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Then my following statement stands.

Regardless, I prefer 'non-human' to 'animal'.

Saying 'humans are not animals' is liking saying 'fish are not animals',
and saying 'fish are not animals' is like saying 'fish are not meat',
and saying 'fish are not meat' is like staring into the sun expecting gain to laser vision.
But, 'non-human,' includes plants. Surely you're not saying, we can't eat plants?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#66 Old 08-13-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
The 'firm grip on the dog's snout' thing actually mimics how some dogs and wolves teach their puppies by clamping down on their snouts. It's called a muzzle grip. Now if you want to criticize canine parenting techniques that's fine, but that might require another thread.

I have no idea how you dragged canine parenting thing to a 'dog attacking unprovoked' . They are not even remotely related. If a dog does something to us, good luck clamping down on their snouts.

Quote:
NOW this thread's on a roll. Lots of interesting points here. Here we go:

*laughs* What, am I beating on dogs with swords or something?
Well if you meant a better way of 'letting the dogs learn the consequences of......' as you suggested, we would love to know. Maybe talk to them?

Quote:

*sigh* ...surely I'm not the only one who thinks this 'respect' thing is just a semantic cop-out. You make it sound like if a dog was driving a car and hit someone they'd just keep driving.
Sorry, I think you are the only one. Dogs driving cars? *laughs* I think you are totally out of the track. that is not the point and not even remotely related.
#67 Old 08-13-2015, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva
the attitude of 'I'd rather die than eat meat" seems pretty pompous to me.
I never said that, I said I'd rather die than take an innocent's life. If I'm starving out in the woods and I find an abandoned package of beef jerky I'd be stupid not to take advantage of it. The deadset "veg*n under any circumstances" perspective is ludicrously narrow-minded since eating some beef jerky ostensibly abandoned out in the woods and not explicitly purchased and left for me neither incurs nor enables the cruelty that goes into making that product. These arguments lead to 'freeganism', which I partly consider myself to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan
But, 'non-human,' includes plants. Surely you're not saying, we can't eat plants?
Pardon, I thought I was apparent; I'm clarifying 'animals' as 'non-human animals'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCat
I have no idea how you dragged canine parenting thing to a 'dog attacking unprovoked' . They are not even remotely related.
They can be, but I know that was not your intent, so don't worry about it.

Quote:
If a dog does something to us, good luck clamping down on their snouts.
>_> Doesn't take luck if you're used to doing it.

Quote:
Well if you meant a better way of 'letting the dogs learn the consequences of......' as you suggested, we would love to know. Maybe talk to them?
I clarified what I meant by that, even though I think my meaning was obvious enough: consequences could range from anything between gently pushing it away to kicking it in the face. Obviously the most appropriate method to employ would depend entirely upon the circumstances.

Quote:
Sorry, I think you are the only one. Dogs driving cars? *laughs* I think you are totally out of the track. that is not the point and not even remotely related.
You laugh, in spite of not getting the joke. How do you interpret the word, 'respect' as I used it here?
#68 Old 08-14-2015, 01:52 AM

Quote:
.......to kicking it in the face.
Even though I do not understand dogs attacking you unprovoked. Pushing an attacking (if they ever attacked you unprovoked somehow) dog WILL obviously make the dog more furious. Kicking a dog to the face would make the situation worse, or kill the animal which is extremely inhuman to do.

I can't even believe someone would suggest such a thing.
#69 Old 08-14-2015, 04:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCat View Post
I can't even believe someone would suggest such a thing.
SilverCat, I'll say this only once: FINISH READING my post before you respond to it.
#70 Old 08-14-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
SilverCat, I'll say this only once: FINISH READING my post before you respond to it.
I did.
#71 Old 08-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
I did.

#72 Old 08-15-2015, 06:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:
AND how far SHOULD you GO?

Be honest.
Many years ago I was on a connecting flight after a lengthy international flight right after I came down with a harsh flu. I didn't eat on the transcontinental leg because it had been too late to order a veggie meal. I thought I was literally going to pass out, so I ate what they served.

You may want to stop reading here.

It was Swissair, and it was a cold cut plate of head cheese, liverwurst , blood sausage and a few other abominations.

It gave me some strength, but it was horrible.

Now I'd just pass out. I'd eat meat to save my life, but I think I'd fast for a few weeks first.

No judgement on anyone else, just my personal take.
#73 Old 08-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie man View Post
Many years ago I was on a connecting flight after a lengthy international flight right after I came down with a harsh flu. I didn't eat on the transcontinental leg because it had been too late to order a veggie meal. I thought I was literally going to pass out, so I ate what they served.

You may want to stop reading here.

It was Swissair, and it was a cold cut plate of head cheese, liverwurst , blood sausage and a few other abominations.

It gave me some strength, but it was horrible.

Now I'd just pass out. I'd eat meat to save my life, but I think I'd fast for a few weeks first.

No judgement on anyone else, just my personal take.
Actually, the last time I ate cheese was on a long international flight. I had no money or snacks, and I didn't realise that I could specify a vegan meal. On my previous flight, the vegetarian meal was vegan and, not being a frequent flyer, I assumed it would always be that way. When they brought me a tray of cheesey pasta, I was too hungry not to eat it. I immediately regretted it and would not make that decision again.
veggie man likes this.
#74 Old 08-17-2015, 12:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
No, but my statement also holds true for the hypothetical situation where a tiger shows up and decides I look a tasty snack. If I have to kill that Tiger to avoid being eaten, of course I will. And in the hyper-unlikely event that I manage to wrestle a Tiger to death, THEN I can consider the moral conundrum of eating it. Until then, I won't even consider the option. If that makes me cruel...

I object to this example purely for cat/name reasons :P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page