Non-veg employment: where do you draw the line? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-01-2004, 05:32 PM

Are you, have you ever, or would you work for an employer who sells or promotes something you're opposed to? Were you a vegetarian working at Burger King? A vegan in an ice cream shop? A veg manager of a grocery store that sells meat? Where do you, or would you, draw the line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I could never work in the food industry.

I had one job in the food industry where I was responsible for prepping the sandwich station (tuna salad, chicken salad, egg salad, sliced meats and cheeses), and making the chilli. One day my boss came in, got himself a bowl of my chilli and sat down to eat it. Next thing I know he's shouting "who made this chilli - it tastes like sh**"! I thought it was so funny. It was my first job, I was 17 and had been a vegetarian for a year. I kept that job for 5 weeks before quitting.

I could never do it now, and I thank god that I don't have to. I feel sorry for those that have no other option.
#3 Old 08-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Banned

I don't know because I am in a career and don't really have to think about that. I don't think I could work in a grocery store or restaurant that sells/serves animal products; the smell alone would gag me and/or make my eyes water -- or I would suffocate from holding my breath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-01-2004, 05:44 PM

Well, I wouldn't work in a butcher shop. However, I do have a family to take care of, so if employment in a meat-serving restaurant was all I could find, I would take it until I could find something less objectionable. Helping animals and being healthy are high priorities for me, but my family is an even higher priority, and I tend to follow my priorities in important decisions like where to work.

Fortunately, I am in the synthetic rubber industry. Our pollutants are minor, and easily contained. No animals are harmed in the process of manufacturing. And, I get to provide the world with a rubber product that is superior in all of its properties to the natural stuff. I didn't choose the job because I was vegan (since I chose it long before I gave up meat and dairy), so I guess I lucked out.

I also get to provide jobs for a half dozen people, and that makes me feel pretty cool, too.

The Rev
#5 Old 08-01-2004, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't think i could ever work in a restaurant or grocery store, at least not a typical one. a hfs might be different.

when i've had cheesy student jobs in the past i've been lucky- library and accounting. the library one felt particulary virtuous.

as for the future, i hope to be a teacher/professor/writer so hopefully i won't even have to consider flipping corpses (i mean burgers) for income.
#6 Old 08-01-2004, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

Well, I wouldn't work in a butcher shop. However, I do have a family to take care of, so if employment in a meat-serving restaurant was all I could find, I would take it until I could find something less objectionable. Helping animals and being healthy are high priorities for me, but my family is an even higher priority, and I tend to follow my priorities in important decisions like where to work.

I'm with the Rev here. If it were the only thing available and I needed the money to live, I'd probably do it. As it stands, if I had any choice at all, I'd not want to get involved in the food industry, or any industry whose ethics I disagree with. I once left a very profitable job at a very large and very evil corporation because I disagreed with the ethics, policies, and effects of the products of this corporation around the globe. Sure, I miss the cash. But I sleep a lot better at night. Still, I say that (relatively) comfortable in my current gig.
#7 Old 08-01-2004, 06:00 PM

It wouldn't bother me bieng a cashier at a fast food place or working as a cashier in a grocery store that sells meat. Long as I wasn't butchering, or cooking it, I wouldn't care.

I dont work in the food industry anyway, so I dont have anything to worry about, and once I grad, I'll be working for myself, so no worries. However if it came down to that point, I'd do it.
#8 Old 08-01-2004, 06:07 PM

I worked for an environmental company that did limited animal testing on worms and rodents.
#9 Old 08-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

I worked for an environmental company that did limited animal testing on worms and rodents.

Were you comfortable with that?
#10 Old 08-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagginabit View Post

Long as I wasn't butchering, or cooking it, I wouldn't care.

That's where I draw my line.
#11 Old 08-01-2004, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatIsMurder View Post

Were you comfortable with that?

It didn't bother me. They didn't do it around me and the testing was required by law.
#12 Old 08-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm with shag and mikie. I've worked in both fast food and sold leather shoes as a vegetarian. They were jobs at the time and it was better than going hungry or without a roof over my head.

Jobs where animal testing was done it would depend--maybe in the pharmaceutical (sp?) or medical field, but never in cosmetics.
#13 Old 08-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I now know that the most unexpected places can be intolerable to veg*ns. For instance, I worked at a place that, on the surface, seemed to have very few things to worry about.

However, several of the employees would sit around and tell graphic hunting stories and brag about killing the most harmless animals imaginable (for sheer amusement, not even under the banner of "hunting".) This was the dominant topic, I'd say, about 80% of the time every day.

It's hard for me to accurately describe the endless talk about everything from modifying weapons to running over animals with ATVs to gutting deer, but suffice it to say it would make anyone even casually concerned for animals downright nauseous.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#14 Old 08-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

It didn't bother me. They didn't do it around me and the testing was required by law.

That's cool. For me it would depend on the types of animals being used for testing, ie. worms don't bother me as much as bunny rabbits. And It also depends on what the testing is for - cancer, okay - cosmetics, come on!?!
#15 Old 08-01-2004, 06:51 PM

It was an environmental company. If the place was heavily polluted, sometimes they would have to catch local rodents or fish to see the progression into the animal chain. They never tested for the fun of it. Sometimes, there was no other way to find out if the pollutants had entered animals unless they tested the animals. Unfortunately, that usually killed them.
#16 Old 08-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I work at a giant company that happens to have plenty of connections I'm not personally fond of, but they pay me to provide entertainment to guests, and nothing I do is "unvegan" (nor am I promoting doing anything "unvegan") so I have no issues with it.
#17 Old 08-01-2004, 07:17 PM

I work in a grocery warehouse, so I deal with a lot of non-veg stuff. I've posted about being surrounded by turkey carcasses at work before, so yes, it does make me uncomfortable at times. Mostly, though, I don't have to be around that type of thing. Most of the meat & dairy is in another facility, so I basically deal with the dry goods, produce & freezer stuff.
#18 Old 08-01-2004, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I work for a computer company that sells and services computers. One of our accounts is the Chicken Board, and yeah, it bothers me a little, but not enough for me to consider pursuing alternative employment. However, if I could get paid to be a full-time Veggie/Vegan promoter, I would be there like white on rice!
#19 Old 08-01-2004, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I am afraid I am guilty of working at A&P who right now is doing a disgusting, GROSS meat promotion. I will not touch the meat, so I use plastic baggies to sheild myself from it. I am a cashier, so once in a while I'll talk about being vegan to people who are interested, plus I've converted one of my fellow employees hehe. A couple of people I work with are vegetarians too, none are vegan though.

My job often causes me to get sick...like the smell of the roasted chickens and bloody meat. I threw up once and went home crying once. It is certainly NOT easy working with the very thing you are opposed to. I am going to college as an English major, so whatever field I go into next will not have anything to do with meat or anything.

This is the only place I can work right now since my town doesn't really have anything else, plus I love my co-workers to death and it's easy money. I do draw the line though, for instance, if someone gives me crap about not touching the meat. I WILL NOT touch it and I don't care who gets offended by that lol

#20 Old 08-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I work in an animal hospital where we do kill animals, but generally for good reason, like they're dying of cancer and in constant pain. I don't think I could ever work in food service, vegetarian or not. Or a slaughter house...

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#21 Old 08-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Since being veggie, I've worked at only one place that I had issues with. In my second or third year of being veggie, I workd at a Dunkin Donuts for two years. It was a horrid job, but I was young and stupid, hehe. When I worked nights (it was a 24 hour 'restaurant'), I'd have to make countless crossiant/english muffin sandwiches which came in three varieties: bacon, sausage, or ham.

I never liked doing it. It bothered me, but I knew I couldn't just say I don't want to. Well, that was my first and last job in the food industry, as I've since moved on to printing and media.

I do sometimes have to print things that bother me at my day job. Once, we were printing an Agway (agricultural company) employee magazine. I had to scan a photo of one of those cows with a window (they surgically make it possible to reach in to the animal for studies). I was highly against it, but again, we are all slaves to the dollar.

My company I run after I leave my day job is for producing various media. I ideally would love to never take on any clients that sell meat based foods. I already lost though, as a friend of mine needed a website for his Chinese restaurant. Oh well.

I think it comes do to just grinning and bearing it sometimes. I certainly could not work anywhere that sells meat anymore, though. I've adopted a bit of Hare Krishna philosophy about not serving meat to anyone.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#22 Old 08-01-2004, 08:30 PM

I manage a supplement shop that also happens to pride itself in being a "Low Carb Super Center".

Yeah, it's great. I do manage to work in a "I'm vegan" with customers as much as I can, ha.
#23 Old 08-01-2004, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

haha, missleigh

i used to work at dunkin donuts, as a vegetarian and as i made the transition to vegan. it really sucked (just ask mia ETA: whoa, and exit apparently -- so many dd workers!), but a lot of the time i didn't really have the time to be uncomfortable with any of it. i absolutely *despised* portioning the meats for the sandwiches, though, but most of that stuff is just so... modified that if i tried really hard not to pay attention to what i was touching, it almost didn't seem like a part of a dead animal.

blah. okay no, it just sucked.

i don't really know where i would draw the line. if i were financially able to do such a thing, i wouldn't work around food at all, unless at a co-op or veg restaurant or something, but unfortunately, all this crap work is reserved for people my age however, regardless of how bad off i was, i really don't see myself being able to do like, butcher or deli work. that's just... no.
#24 Old 08-01-2004, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I sold shoes (leather) at Sears for a while after going veggie. That kind of sucked. Doing nails is fairly veg friendly as the best nail product companies (OPI, Orly, Creative, Etc.) don't test on animals. The brush I have to use for acrylics is animal hair though. There is no way around that that I've found. I might be getting a job at a Pawn shop here soon, which would be ok I guess.
#25 Old 08-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Beginner

i wouldn't take a job where i had to touch meat or serve it, i think. so no fast food restaurants, no restaurants that aren't veg, no butchers, etc. i've been lucky enough to have been able to make that choice.

and i also would not work for a company whose ethics i do not agree with. e.g. no cigarette companies!
#26 Old 08-02-2004, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I've worked here the whole time I've been veg, and the worst I have to do is carry meat donations to the freezer once in a great while. Not a big deal. I would work in the restaurant industry and probably even handle/cook meat if I needed a job. I don't think I could work in a butcher shop or a slaughterhouse.
#27 Old 08-02-2004, 12:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelli View Post

Are you, have you ever, or would you work for an employer who sells or promotes something you're opposed to? Were you a vegetarian working at Burger King? A vegan in an ice cream shop? A veg manager of a grocery store that sells meat? Where do you, or would you, draw the line?

I am vegan and work in an ice cream shop. Sometimes it sucks, and I always try and put in a good word for the raspberry sorbet (no milk ), but it was the only job that really callled me back this summer, so I try and suck it up. I figure as long as I don't push the ice cream, someone would be serving the people anyway.
#28 Old 08-02-2004, 12:27 AM

Well, I'm 16 and work at Safeway, mainly bagging things. The sight of meat doesn't bother me, I can usually block it from my mind like everything else, but the smell of the roasted chickens makes me nausous. I wonder what I would have thought of it when I was an omni, really I don't know if it's just me or if it's really that gross. I couldn't work in the meat department though, that's just too much. I'm lucky I have the job I do - It beats fast food a million times over, which is pretty much my only other option. And really, it's not against my beliefs. I'm not against food and I'm not against people selling or buying meat. Everyone has a right to choose for themselves what they want. Of course if it was my own little shop there wouldn't be meat, but well... i don't know, I'm tired... it makes since I swear!
#29 Old 08-02-2004, 12:55 AM
Veggie Regular

i use to work for Marks and Spencer as a cashier in the food department i hated it i was part time while at school (parents something about responsibility??! ) i use to have to touch the meat and dairy it was all sealed so it never really bothered me except the whole fish with their eyes but a small (very small) sorta condolense was that M&S do take good care of their animals and all eggs they use are free range as they only sell their branded goods even the cakes had free range eggs .

i use to pass the time by looking at other peoples shopping and if they picked up veggetarian stuff kinda dropping it in to the conversation (how sad i am )

edited to add for some reason working early in the morning with the smell of fresh bread and cakes always made me feel very sick
#30 Old 08-02-2004, 01:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganprincess View Post

i wouldn't take a job where i had to touch meat or serve it, i think. so no fast food restaurants, no restaurants that aren't veg, no butchers, etc. i've been lucky enough to have been able to make that choice.

and i also would not work for a company whose ethics i do not agree with. e.g. no cigarette companies!

i hope your lucky enough to never have too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page