• 6 Post By no whey jose
  • 2 Post By Auxin
  • 2 Post By odizzido
  • 1 Post By Dave in MPLS
  • 6 Post By Auxin
  • 3 Post By cuberail
  • 1 Post By LedBoots

#1 Old 08-02-2015, 09:50 PM

How true is this (beans,lentils are bad)

WHAT’S WRONG WITH BEANS AND LEGUMES?

Read this
and let me know what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-02-2015, 10:03 PM
Vegan since 1991

HI SilverCat,

Every single mainstream health organization recommends that people (not just vegetarians) include beans in their diets:

The American Heart Association recommends that people eat beans and other legumes: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Gettin...05_Article.jsp

The American Diabetes Association recommends that people eat beans and other legumes: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...uperfoods.html

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children eat beans and other legumes: https://www.healthychildren.org/Engl...ng-Enough.aspx

Kaiser Permanente (one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States) recommends eating beans: https://foodforhealth.kaiserpermanen...cooking-beans/

The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (the world's largest association of Registered Dietitians) recommends eating beans: http://www.eatright.org/resource/foo...king-dry-beans

Fellow vegetarians, please chime in here. Since 1991, I've been getting all of my protein from beans and grains. Have I developed insulin-resistance (diabetes), as the Paleoleap article claims will happen? No. Have I developed vitamin deficiencies? No.

The Paleo diet community is obsessed with the mythical image of "Man, the Fierce Hunter". They are emotionally-offended by the vegetarian community. There is no evidence to support Paleo claims that beans and whole grains are bad for you.

Here is a cool video that shows how to cook beans on the stove. The host of the video is this older guy who's really laid-back and funny (he's not a vegetarian, though, and his weight reflects this):

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 08-03-2015 at 11:59 AM.
#3 Old 08-02-2015, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Paleo websites are no worse than the rabid vegan websites. Both should be avoided IMO.

Anyways the phytic acid is destroyed by cooking. When the site you linked says that nutritional deficiencies can develop from eating lentils they are correct and there are recorded cases of this.....however in those cases the lentils were not cooked properly. As for beans I am not sure, I never heard of them being a problem for anyone but I can't say more than that.

The website also says some people are sensitive to beans because of the lectin. I am sure that's true, just like some people have trouble eating meat. I can't say a lot about this because I simply don't know enough about lectin.

Quote:
vegetarians might tout them as a “protein source,” but this is only really true relative to foods like bread and vegetables, which have no protein at all.
This part however is complete BS. Everything but the most refined items contain protein. Also if you look at protein requirements you will see the truth that this is just garbage.

Quote:
Unless you’re picking your peanuts directly from the farm, you’re probably getting some aflatoxins with them, and they’re not something you want: some research has linked long-term consumption to aflatoxins with risk for diseases like cancer and hepatitis B
Hep B is a virus.......it has nothing to do with nutrition. I don't understand how they could even write this trash.

I think I am done reading the article. Two completely wrong facts is enough for me to dismiss everything written there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with David, although I would expand my own view to say that I have little interest in relying on the dietary health advice from any source that has an ideology or bias - that includes vegetarian/vegan ones (it is unnecessary as I can just rely on unbiased mainstream scientific and health organizations instead).

The bottom line is that it is pretty easy to eat a healthy vegetarian or vegan diet. We are a flexible species. People who obsess over trying to find the "perfect" diet are at risk of orthorexia nervosa. For a couple years I made this far, far more difficult then it needed to be. It was time consuming and stressful - but it simply doesn't need to be. Yes, if you are new to vegetarian or vegan, a decent book is useful to help you get your bearings.

I basically follow three rules now: Eat what I enjoy. Eat what is inline with my ethics. Don't fall victim to those who peddle fear (unless the claims they are making are backed by solid and repeatable peer-reviewed scientific research - which they never are).

Does it make sense that beans and legumes would be bad for you? No. That a paleo blog has the secret info that health organizations have been hiding from you? Of course not. It is a set of poorly backed claims that are useful in promoting the tribalism and other psychological motivating factors that diet cults like paleo rely on.

Last edited by Vegmedic; 08-02-2015 at 10:40 PM.
#5 Old 08-03-2015, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

SilverCat, You'll be happier and healthier if you stop reading scaremongering blogs about food. Check out the links David posted. These are reliable health organisations whose advice is based only on scientific fact. I'm sure if I Googled "are bananas dangerous?" I could find some crackpot somewhere with a blog post about how eating bananas almost killed him, but that doesn't make it so.
#6 Old 08-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Oryzatarian

Indeed you could.
Bananas are radioactive and used as a measure of radiation exposure when teaching highschool students [Link]
When a highschool student wakes up in the middle of the lecture, and then falls asleep again, all they remember is "bananas.... radioactive"

The horror
#7 Old 08-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I avoid the produce section in supermarkets in fear of the banana.
#8 Old 08-03-2015, 01:55 PM
Riot Nrrrd

If you dig hard enough, you can find "irrefutable scientific proof"*that virtually everything we eat is either A) going to kill or hurt us or B) the magical secret to optimal health and well being. And I don't mean some things fit in one group and some things fit in another - the same thing is promoted as being poison by one set of people, and as beneficial (or at least neutral) by another!

If you're looking for "unbiased" information ... that isn't actually a thing. We should definitely keep bias in mind, and point it out when it colors the information being presented, but we should really be dealing with the message, not the messenger.

* I put "irrefutable scientific proof" in quotes because in some classical scientific thought, a scientific fact must be at least theoretically falsifiable. This view isn't held in a strong sense by most working scientists today, but falsifiability is still seen as a virtue in the sciences. Most would agree that an untestable claim isn't very scientific at all.
CricketVS likes this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#9 Old 08-04-2015, 02:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Common sense reigns here thankfully!

There is joy and beauty in everything around us, just take time to see it!

#10 Old 08-04-2015, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

The information about phytic acid is true and it has always been known that beans are toxic unless soaked, cooked or sprouted. Several beans in particular can kill a human being very quickly (Ricin comes from Castor beans). But I suppose a bone in the throat could too.

So it is not all nonsense.

It is just slightly humorous how we (vegetarians) take something toxic out of our diet only to replace it with something toxic. (Oh, but toxic with fiber!)
#11 Old 08-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Oryzatarian

The information about phytic acid is not true.
Phytic acid, unequivocally, does not exist in plants. Its just not there. Its too strong of an acid to even be there.
What does exist in grains and legumes is calcium magnesium phytate. A poorly soluble compound in which phytic acids acidity has been fully neutralized by both calcium and magnesium. Calcium magnesium phytate will not 'steal' minerals from your food because its already neutralized.
The mistaken notion from 100 years ago was that the phytate will hold on to the calcium and magnesium that it carries with itself and thereby not be a source of calcium or magnesium. That assumption was put to the test and disproven before my grandfather was born and, indeed, my medical books from the 1950's confirm that calcium magnesium phytate was an approved dietary calcium supplement!
The phytate does hold on to its minerals fairly well, stomach acid can free some up (thats why it was a supplement in the 50's) but soaking grains or legumes before cooking will free up more. See, the stuff is there for a reason, its a storage form of calcium and magnesium for the seeds. Plants dont have bones so they hide extra minerals there. When soaked the seed wakes up and produces enzymes that begin breaking down the phosphate groups in the phytate, thus freeing minerals for the seedling.
Phytate is also an antioxidant and research is just beginning to understand how it feeds and stimulates healthy gut bacteria, particularly how the partially dephosphorylated phytate derivatives effect those critters. It shouldnt be any surprise, my dusty old medical books also confirm that microbiologists were using calcium magnesium phytate as a nutrient in the culture of bacteria and yeasts.

So, yeah, lots of big words there. The take home message is that phytate is yummy mineraly goodness and not the boogie man that paleo types make it out to be. They just dont want to admit there are nutrients that arent in meat.
#12 Old 08-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

not interested in amateur propaganda. didn't read the link. but this is worth reading:

Asia Pacific J Clin Nutr 2004;13 (2):217-220

Legumes: the most important dietary predictor of
survival in older people of different ethnicities

http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/info...ds/Darmadi.pdf
#13 Old 08-04-2015, 05:21 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Very interesting @Auxin and @cuberail . I always learn a lot here!
no whey jose likes this.
#14 Old 08-14-2015, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

What's wrong with beans and lentils?

They are delicious and healthy when prepared well and give some people gas.

Last edited by cienerose; 08-14-2015 at 12:07 PM. Reason: grammar
#15 Old 08-19-2015, 10:26 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by cienerose View Post
What's wrong with beans and lentils?

They are delicious and healthy when prepared well and give some people gas.
I love the gas. Trumpet forth!

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page