• 2 Post By shellie
  • 1 Post By Joan Kennedy
  • 2 Post By AdorableMogwai
  • 1 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 1 Post By Joan Kennedy

#1 Old 07-31-2015, 09:05 PM

What should we say ?

Take this conversation into account.

Vegetarian: I am vegetarian I do not eat meat.

Non-veg guy : then why do you eat Eggs?

Veg: yes vegetarians eat eggs. vegans don't. And I am not a Vegan.

Non-veg guy: C'mon Vegetarians don't eat eggs. You are not a Vegetarian.

Vegetarian :

what should a Vegetarian say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-31-2015, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

In some countries the term 'vegetarian' means someone who eats a vegan diet, but doesn't adhere to the entire vegan lifestyle. However, usually in North America people have known in to mean someone who doesn't eat meat but still eats eggs and dairy. The technical term for that is 'Lacto-ovo-vegetarian'.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 07-31-2015, 11:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCat View Post

Vegetarian :

I used to respond with "Vegetarian, as defined by the Vegetarian Society, is someone who does not eat animals. There ARE vegetarians who don't eat eggs or dairy. But then there's carnists who don't eat pork, or cows, or dogs..... They're still carnists"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-31-2015, 11:52 PM
Riot Nrrrd

The word 'vegetarian' entered into common usage in 1847, when the Vegetarian Society was formed at Ramsgate ... By unanimous vote they defined 'vegetarian' as a diet free of flesh, fish, and fowl WITH OR WITHOUT eggs and milk. It was originally used within a small community which was on the 'without' side. This group organized the conference and reached out to a similar group that was on the 'with' side. The 'with or without' clause was a compromise that everyone signed off on - remember, the vote was unanimous.

So it was defined that way is the short answer. The definition was often criticized by members of both camps, but it's what stuck. You are using the word correctly. It would take time travel to change it

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#5 Old 08-01-2015, 06:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Tell them eggs are not dead animal. You are eating unfertilized eggs, no chicken had been created from the egg prior to your consumption.
@rno and SilverCat like this.
#6 Old 08-06-2015, 05:23 PM

Since egg laying hens are a different strain of chicken than those used for meat production, the male chicks that hatch are useless to them and they put these baby chicks in a giant blender while they're still alive. They call it an industrial macerator. So unless the eggs you eat come from a free range local farm, then you are supporting millions of baby chicks being put in a giant blender every year.
#7 Old 08-06-2015, 08:33 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdorableMogwai View Post
Since egg laying hens are a different strain of chicken than those used for meat production, the male chicks that hatch are useless to them and they put these baby chicks in a giant blender while they're still alive. They call it an industrial macerator. So unless the eggs you eat come from a free range local farm, then you are supporting millions of baby chicks being put in a giant blender every year.

There is no law prohibiting free-range chicken farms from practicing chick-culling (the separation and maceration of male baby chicks). "Free-range" rules apply only to the actual egg-laying hens.

USDA definition for "free range": http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/con...df?MOD=AJPERES

Wikipedia entry for "chick culling": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_culling

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 08-06-2015 at 08:37 PM.
#8 Old 08-06-2015, 11:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Tell them you are a lacto ovo vegetarian. Lacto means you consume milk. Ovo means you eat eggs.

if you didn't eat eggs you would be a lacto vegetarian.
#9 Old 08-07-2015, 04:08 AM

It might also be worth asking what gives him the right to take the moral high ground towards you when he not only eats eggs, but eats the meat of dead animals too.

I've met similar people pulling me up on wearing leather shoes whilst being vegetarian. Whether that's right or wrong is a separate debate, but the person presenting that case to me wears leather shoes AND eats meat. I think some people just enjoy picking fault in others.

I eat what I feel comfortable eating, and cut out of my diet anything that I don't think is morally justifiable. I try not to get too hung up on labels and names.
#10 Old 08-07-2015, 06:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Vegetarian :

You can say, "You're speaking to a vegetarian, and I just told you. Not all vegetarians eat eggs or dairy, but eggs and dairy are consistent with a vegetarian diet. Look it up in any dictionary."
SilverCat likes this.
#11 Old 08-07-2015, 06:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
This is the Vegetarian Support forum. It's not appropriate to use this forum as a platform to scold vegetarians for not following a vegan diet.
#12 Old 08-07-2015, 06:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
There is no law prohibiting free-range chicken farms from practicing chick-culling (the separation and maceration of male baby chicks). "Free-range" rules apply only to the actual egg-laying hens.

USDA definition for "free range": http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/con...df?MOD=AJPERES

Wikipedia entry for "chick culling": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_culling
The smaller the farm, the more likely they are to be using dual-use breeds of chicken, suitable for both meat and egg-laying. So the male chicks grow up to become broilers. Not sure that's such a great deal for the broilers, getting slaughtered months down the line when their nervous systems are further along. At any rate, that's for a separate debate (preferably in Compost Heap, not on Vegetarian Support), not for a thread on what to say to someone who thinks vegetarians don't eat eggs.
#13 Old 08-07-2015, 01:20 PM

Thanks for letting me know I came across as scolding Joan and I apologize to SilverCat if it seemed that way. I'm not vegan either, it's just I didn't know about the putting live baby chicks in a blender thing until about a week ago. I was kind of shocked and traumatized when I found out so now I feel like it's my moral obligation to let other people know that's happening because I don't think most people know about it. I certainly won't eat another chicken egg again, not that I liked them that much anyway. In fact, I've always hated scrambled eggs and the breakfast places that serve them like IHOP, Waffle House, etc. Waffle House, more like Awful House I say. Never really liked boiled eggs that much either because they're smelly too, but smelly in a different way than scrambled eggs. Both are pretty bad though I think scrambled eggs are worse because they have that slimy texture on top of the smell.
LedBoots and SilverCat like this.
#14 Old 08-08-2015, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know I came across as scolding Joan and I apologize to SilverCat if it seemed that way. I'm not vegan either, it's just I didn't know about the putting live baby chicks in a blender thing until about a week ago. I was kind of shocked and traumatized when I found out so now I feel like it's my moral obligation to let other people know that's happening because I don't think most people know about it. I certainly won't eat another chicken egg again, not that I liked them that much anyway. In fact, I've always hated scrambled eggs and the breakfast places that serve them like IHOP, Waffle House, etc. Waffle House, more like Awful House I say. Never really liked boiled eggs that much either because they're smelly too, but smelly in a different way than scrambled eggs. Both are pretty bad though I think scrambled eggs are worse because they have that slimy texture on top of the smell.
Do they just kill the baby chicks and dispose them as waste or do they eat it somehow?
#15 Old 08-08-2015, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Do they just kill the baby chicks and dispose them as waste or do they eat it somehow?
I think it might depend on the company. I've read that the female ducklings killed in the production of fois gras are sometimes made into cat food. It could be the same with chicks. Either way, it's awful to think about.
#16 Old 08-08-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I think it might depend on the company. I've read that the female ducklings killed in the production of fois gras are sometimes made into cat food. It could be the same with chicks. Either way, it's awful to think about.
Yeah.
#17 Old 08-08-2015, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

nothing gets wasted. they are usually used as pet food. so are a lot of pets who get euthanized at the vet, horses and cows who get taken apart at the vet school--their body parts are taken to a rendering plant. they separate the fat from the protein and those streams go to different purposes (soaps vs animal feeds, for example).
#18 Old 08-08-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuberail View Post
nothing gets wasted.
that is a relief at least.
#19 Old 08-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
that is a relief at least.
It's funny, but no one ever says, "At least Dahmer ate those boys so they wouldn't go to waste..."
#20 Old 08-08-2015, 09:30 AM
No flesh since 99'

The vegetarian should say "I encourage you to research the differences between vegetarianism and veganism, because there IS a difference and my personal boundaries are drawn against eating flesh, not eggs (or dairy if you consume dairy)". I find letting people look into things themselves is a far better option than letting the incorrectly assume I'm wrong and an idiot and to stand behind what you're saying. You are a vegetarian. Vegetarians can eat eggs and/or dairy and/or honey based on their personal beliefs, vegans consume no animal products. It's a widely acknowledged and accepted difference in dietary/lifestyle choice. If other person is that interested, let him/her go look into it themselves.
no whey jose likes this.

"The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself"

Last edited by Kiwibird08; 08-08-2015 at 09:33 AM.
#21 Old 08-08-2015, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

If you put yourself in the other person's situation and they are not a jerk, then that was a fair question. In their mind they are asking why you can eat eggs, but not animals? I have seen a lot of documentaries about the terrible conditions of large meat producing facilities, but am still not real up to date on ethical vegetarianism or veganism. I have heard that eating eggs is just as bad or worse than eating meat so this guy may have a point in his question.
#22 Old 08-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post
If you put yourself in the other person's situation and they are not a jerk, then that was a fair question. In their mind they are asking why you can eat eggs, but not animals? I have seen a lot of documentaries about the terrible conditions of large meat producing facilities, but am still not real up to date on ethical vegetarianism or veganism. I have heard that eating eggs is just as bad or worse than eating meat so this guy may have a point in his question.
Again, this is the Vegetarian Support forum, not the forum for trying to make the case that vegetarians should take on vegan ways. Which you are entitled to believe, research, and discuss on VeggieBoards but should discuss on a vegan forum or in Compost Heap. Not here. Vegetarian Support is for supporting people who don't eat meat, and maybe are quite recently off meat, for whatever ethical or cultural or health-based reason, but who might eat eggs and/or dairy and/or honey. The questioner being quoted in the opening thread here isn't challenging the ethics of eggs, but whether or not vegetarians can or do eat eggs. I don't mean to shut down this thread, or delete posts, or move this topic to Compost Heap. However, anything you want to say that boils down to "I think you shouldn't eat eggs" belongs on a different forum.
Naturebound likes this.

Last edited by Joan Kennedy; 08-09-2015 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page