• 2 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 1 Post By AdorableMogwai
  • 1 Post By shellie
  • 1 Post By mermaidriot
  • 2 Post By Veggie Primer
  • 1 Post By mermaidriot

#1 Old 07-22-2015, 03:12 PM

Housemates + Vegetarianism

I recently moved into a house with mainly meat eaters, I don't impose my lifestyle on them because that's not my job, but I do get very frustrated when my friend tries to tell me info I already am aware of or researched on. They try to counteract my choices as a way of just showing disagreement, but I hear it so often, and it frustrates me.

What advice do you guys have on dealing with overly sensitive meat eaters who want to explain your diet to you?

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2015, 03:52 PM
No flesh since 99'

"I'll take care of what goes in my mouth, you take care of what goes in yours".

"The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself"
#3 Old 07-22-2015, 04:42 PM

What I would do is talk to them one by one and ask if they eat dogs and cats, When they say no, you should explain that pigs are as smart as dogs or cats and can do tricks, so if they don't eat dogs they shouldn't eat pigs. This will cause cognitive dissonance in their minds, then show them videos of pigs doing tricks on youtube.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-22-2015, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

First, if they're eating meat in front of me, or preparing it in front of me and trying to tell me about my diet, I tell them (VERY POLITELY) that I don't discuss my food choices when people are eating or preparing animals to be eaten. I tell them that I've found people tend to feel overly defensive about it and communications for both sides is hard, so I opt to talk about it after people have eaten.

When they bring a subject to me, it depends on how I'm feeling. If I'm tired, or fed up, or can tell they're doing it just to be a pain and not out of any concern for me, I nod and say "Mmmm, very interesting, I'll look into that".

If I've got the energy (which obviously I never have because where do I even get my protein?!) I try and answer their questions or assertions as best I can. I figure that if someone is engaging me and disagreeing with me, then they're defensive and if they're defensive it means my choices are getting through to them. So, my answering their questions might give them the impetus later on, to do more thorough research or to really question their own assertions.

Now that I'm veg, I can look back at the veg*ns/people who were struggling with the ethics of being omni in my life and the choices they'd made while they were around me. None of them made me go veg, but all of them made me question and absolutely all of them made me defensive. I said some pretty insensitive things in that time, but it was out of fear, more than anything else.

So have hope (And I hope your situation improves)
#5 Old 07-22-2015, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with kiwibird, I'd say something simple like "thanks for your concern, but I've researched my decision and I'm happy with my lifestyle."
Purp likes this.
#6 Old 07-24-2015, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellie View Post
I agree with kiwibird, I'd say something simple like "thanks for your concern, but I've researched my decision and I'm happy with my lifestyle."
I think that's the best approach, one of my roommates tries to talk to me about GMO and pesticides like I haven't researched them and I just stare at them.
Purp likes this.

#7 Old 07-24-2015, 05:47 AM
plant-based advocate

What folks choose to eat can be such a sensitive topic! When asked about my choices I usually say, "I feel better when I eat this way." You can't really argue with that and it covers both health and ethical reasons without going into the details!
Purp and Opolitlo like this.

Margaret @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 07-24-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie Primer View Post
What folks choose to eat can be such a sensitive topic! When asked about my choices I usually say, "I feel better when I eat this way." You can't really argue with that and it covers both health and ethical reasons without going into the details!
Generally when I say that, it shuts them down. I have a really sensitive stomach so eating veg helps me so much.
Purp likes this.

#9 Old 07-27-2015, 06:07 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

Tell them everybody has an opinion about food, and yours is just as valid as theirs.

Then ask them to tell you how many people have died from a protein deficiency, since vegetarians never get enough protein according to meat eaters.

Ask them what causes heart disease, obesity, high cholesterol levels, and most types of cancer.

Ask them how much fat, cholesterol, growth hormones, pesticides, and animal antibiotics are in fruits and vegetables.

As you can tell, I have a limited tolerance for other people "educating" me about my food choices. If they can prove that a meat based diet is better than a vegetarian one, I'm all ears. The fact is, they can't.

They should respect your dietary choices, just like your political, religious, and sexual orientation choices.

And remember..... their opinions are just that....opinions. People change their mind constantly. Live the life YOU want to live.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.

Tags
friends , meat eaters , nonvegans , nonvegetarians , vegetarians

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page