I'm very upset. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By varun
  • 2 Post By Tiger Lilly
  • 3 Post By Purp

#1 Old 07-08-2015, 05:59 PM

I'm very upset.

Unfortunately, I work for a company that sells meals that contain meat.

Today, due to a mistake, 2400 pounds of raw chicken was destroyed due to a mistake. It had to be disposed of only because it was a week old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Zack this is an aspect that a lot of people ignore, I understand what you are going through because this is not only disrespectful on every level, its senseless, it offends every bit of whatever education people have been given. We have industrialization to blame for this, because industries always want growth.. either way they never plan according to the demand, rather they out-produce/overstock current demand in the hopes of selling more and making a profit. With non-perishable foods this is fine as the stocks can be retained for years until they are sold.

With foods & perishable goods though, its a textbook mistake what they are doing. So much food is wasted across suppliers, restaurants & homes, there was even a clever advertisement that showed an average of 30% food is wasted right from the lead source to the ultimate consumer, this when an average of 1 out of 4 children worldwide suffer from the debilitating effects of hunger &/or malnutrition i.e stunted growth, underweight etc. On the one hand we have 30% perfectly consumable food being wasted and on the other we have kids dying of starvation. Now the next foolish part - overconsumption. This is not only the fault of the end consumer but also of the companies with their double-decker & triple-decker burgers, extra large pizzas and coke that comes in barrels. Eating more than required sure as heck does no good to the body, but as long as the buyer is hooked and doles out the wads of cash to the seller why should they care?

I've written so much & I've not even gotten to the part where I'd say that meat comes from the body of an animal, a life is taken every time someone sits down to eat meat & it simply doesn't bother the people who eat it. After buying a king-size portion they waste half or quarter of what they eat because what's their problem as long as their belly is bursting at its seams. The food-chains that overstock looking at such demand will find themselves wasting meat on more than a few days because consumption will not be always high, at they same time they've to be prepared for it and charge the patrons the premium for it as well. All is good, yes?

I didn't write any of this to upset you further, I suppose you'd already be knowing all this. Remembering such things is the only way I find myself closer to reality. Being veg*an is highly critical in this day and age to restore balance to this earth for a future generation to come. There are only extremes today, polar opposite movements. One destroys wildlife, animals & the environment just to get a meal on the plate, the other tries to repair, heal & regenerate life by sacrificing nutritionally unnecessary animal products. I still think its not too late for anyone to decide which side they are on.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#3 Old 07-12-2015, 05:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
Unfortunately, I work for a company that sells meals that contain meat.

Today, due to a mistake, 2400 pounds of raw chicken was destroyed due to a mistake. It had to be disposed of only because it was a week old.
This is tough.

Food wastage in general and such....careless disregard for another's body in specifics.

But perhaps, let's look at it this way. Animals and their products are dangerous to consume from a hygienic standpoint (something we've known for a long time, which is probably why there are a lot of 'food' restrictions in religions.....).

The consumption of animals has fallen, despite an increase in population.

Egg replacers are now being used by major brands in the U.S because of disease outbreaks affecting chickens.

None of this is spectacular for the animals, they don't care. They only know they're suffering and dying.

But what it tells me, is we're getting closer to realising that this is not just a 'moral' issue, but a social one. They had to chuck out those chicken's bodies because it would be dangerous to feed them to humans. That's lost money. The false economy of treating sentient beings like they're units of production is clearly displayed in that action. And it will continue that way.

I can't know how you feel right now. The closest I get is watching co-workers at parties saying "I couldn't possibly eat any more" and seeing them mindlessly toss parts of someone into a bin.

But even seeing the wastage, I have hope. It's a start. It means people aren't eating as much, it means people are starting to become aware of the danger. This is the beginning, so it's tough and it's unrewarding. But it's a start.

Also, don't forget, that most of us work for places that aren't vego friendly. You need money, so you're part of the system. Until the work is vegetarian, it's not like you'll have much choice to do something else.

But also, have hope. Things are changing.

I hope all of that rambling makes sense to you.
Purp and Naturebound like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-13-2015, 01:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I hate food waste (I was raised by two people who lived through the Great Depression, so food waste is a biggie on our parts), but the good news is, is VegNews has a place where you can look for vegan jobs. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Tom, Tiger Lilly and Vegan Dave like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page