Non-toxic fruit fly assistance pls - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-26-2004, 08:40 PM

It happens every summer since I started buying organic fruit - the house fills up with fruit flies.

Things I do/have done:

*My garbage rarely has food in it, as the majority of my food garbage is compostable - and removed outside promptly. The composter is well away from windows/doors.

*All cans and containers are washed and put in the recycling bags.

*Dishes are places in the dishwasher upstairs once a day.

I have spray for them, but it burns my lungs. I'd rather a non-toxic fly killer if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-26-2004, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

are fruit flies small? we have been having a lot of really small flying bugs that are driving me crazy. they love the bananas, and the last time i tried to get a cantaloupe, almost all of the bugs were on it the day after i bought it.
#3 Old 07-26-2004, 11:49 PM
Beginner

Yep, those are fruit flies. I've got 'em too. They are driving me nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-27-2004, 05:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Grrr.... I hate those things. When we come home from the farmer's market the house is like infested. Ugh.
#5 Old 07-27-2004, 05:46 AM
kat
Veggie Regular

My house has loads of moths! It is really freaky and they get all over the place. I shut my cupboard and when I go back there is like 3 in there. I have checked for nests and holes. It's difficuilt to cook without them getting in the food

K
#6 Old 07-27-2004, 07:57 AM
Beginner

I work in a grocery warehouse. We send out fruit fly traps to the stores, no mess no smell. I'll try and see if they are something that is available online.

If you put fruit fly trap into google several types come up.
#7 Old 07-27-2004, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

we put our fruit in the fridge, because it's too cold for the fruit flies. that usually gets rid of them. right now, we're getting rid of regular flies--big fellas--by systematically killing them.
#8 Old 07-27-2004, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
My house has loads of moths! It is really freaky and they get all over the place. I shut my cupboard and when I go back there is like 3 in there. I have checked for nests and holes. It's difficuilt to cook without them getting in the food

Well if they are pantry moths (small, grey, fly in zigzag pattern) then they are probably laying their eggs in your grain products. I had these. They really seem to like rice in particular. There is nothing more gross than opening a bag of rice and finding worms crawling around in there. It took us months to get rid of them. I sealed up all the grains but they can bite through plastic bags and cardboard boxes. I eventually just started keeping the rice in the freezer. But even then they seemed to be finding food somehow. The only way I got rid of them finally (at least, I haven't seen any in a few weeks) was pheremone glue traps. They are non toxic to humans. They just contain female moth pheremones which attracts the males and then they get stuck in the glue and can't reproduce.
#9 Old 07-28-2004, 01:36 AM
kat
Veggie Regular

*Kat slips out to spew at the thought of worms in her rice*
#10 Old 07-28-2004, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe if you wash your fruits and veggies when you bring them in from the market and store them in the fridge you can cut down on the larvae that will hatch into flies?
#11 Old 07-28-2004, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

The fruit fly eggs are already on the fruit when you bring it into your home, so if you are composting, you need to kill the eggs before you compost the waste. The easiest way to do this is freezing all your scraps before composting them. If you have a fruit fly infestation, wait to compost your stuff until it clears up.

I also freeze any grains that I buy to kill off any lurking beasties.
#12 Old 07-29-2004, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

my freezer is tiny and always full

but i have fruit flies too. they're annoying but harmless.

washing fruit the second it enters the house is a good idea, and storing it in the fridge or in something the flies can't get at easily (a breadbox or something maybe).

other than that, make sure you wipe down cupboards and walls especially near the stove, if grease from cooking builds up there they can live off that i think (judging by the way they congregate on the cupboard above my stove)

and make sure there's no moisture, if you have a rack for drying dishes rinse it every use and stash it diagonally in the sink when it's empty to let the water drain out and dry. double check before bed that there's no food source available, any dirty dishes left out or sticky spots on the counter etc, it doesn't take long for them to reproduce if there's even a tiny amount of food available. the stupid things like for what, like 2 days? and yet they're so hard to get rid of because they reproduce so fast.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#13 Old 07-30-2004, 11:18 PM

I sprayed the house with peppermint soap and water and that seemed to help. I only have a mini fridge, so no way I can put my fruit/veggies in there. Same thing w/ the freezer

I swear their eggs come in on the wind.
#14 Old 07-31-2004, 08:38 AM

I work in a middle school and the science teacher< one year and ONE year only> did a composting project with 130 students.....the fruit flies invaded EVERY room in the huge facility...it has become infamous!

Any how he concocted traps out of 2 liter soda bottles. Put a little sweet juice or sugary water in the bottle, and cover the spout with a piece of screen. The fruit flies go in but they are too stupid to get out.

Their life cycle is unbelievably short and breeding puts rabbits to shame. so while they are vacationing in the Hotel of Doom they are Havin' a great time and the bottles fill up fast and get gross.

THey have been used in Genetic research due to the number of generations that can appear in a matter of weeks....100+ ! They are sweet eatin' busy little dirt making fellas...not really a bad life if you think about it....short and sweet!

csweihe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page