Give vegetarianism a creative reason - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-19-2004, 01:38 AM
Beginner

In addition to healthy, ethical reason, do you have any creative reason for being vegetarian or vegan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-19-2004, 01:39 AM
Administrator

I don't miss having food poisoning on a regular basis.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 07-19-2004, 02:03 AM
Beginner

ditto what michael said, and i also don't get allergic reactions now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-19-2004, 02:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Not really, no.

Though I suppose if you hate vegetables (and want to see them die).
#5 Old 07-19-2004, 03:18 AM
Veggie Regular

cuz it's hip and trendy

cuz Pamela Anderson is a hottie

cuz Tobey McGuire is a hottie

cuz I like tofu

cuz I get to hang out here!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#6 Old 07-19-2004, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

the dandy whorall song behemian like you the line "if you dig vegan food than come over to my work i will cook................................

it was the first time i ever heard the word vegan
#7 Old 07-19-2004, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I think being a vegetarian also helps me to be more spiritual. I feel more pure and clean. Like a better person and it also helps me to be more conscious, compassionate and live a more mindful life. Also since being a veg-I never have that miserable too full feeling that I did when I was a meateater ~Amanda
#8 Old 07-19-2004, 06:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes. It was an almost completely unrelated reason and I only became a veg because of a 'feeling' or vibe I had at the time, because of this other motive. What can I say. It stuck. (As did the other motive, if not because of it, I should add.)
#9 Old 07-19-2004, 07:21 AM

As a person who feels very close with Nature, being veg*n enhances this connection in a positive way. My spirit feels in tune and harmony with the life around me. Also, I believe that not consuming "food" which is the product of killing is an affirmation of my pacifist philosophy and passion.

Shalom,

Earthsong
#10 Old 07-19-2004, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Pretty much what earthsong said. I feel a greater bond with animals and nature now.

That and what veganprincess said. I'm allergic to dairy and eggs and probably to any number of crappy hormones, etc, they inject meat with.
#11 Old 07-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

It makes it harder to order things in restaurants!

You usually have to bring your own food to parties!

Your friends and family see it as pretentious and annoying!

Specialty foods and replacements are expensive!

wait a second....being a vegetarian sucks.....

Seriously though, I've been vegan for a year this July 31st, and I couldn't be happier with it. I don't feel spiritaully clean or anything like that, but I am glad I'm not eating things with feelings and cute faces.
#12 Old 07-19-2004, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Always gives me something to argue about when i'm among my omni friends
#13 Old 07-19-2004, 08:19 AM
Banned

I don't eat out as often, because most of the veg*n places in my area are very expensive. Being veg*an has helped me save money. And what Michael said about food poisoning, ditto! I was always throwing up! Always. Not anymore.
#14 Old 07-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Because now when I cook, I can partake of items BEFORE and AFTER I cook them. I also don't have to walk around my kitchen paranoid, trying to be sure the raw chicken isn't leaking, touching other food that I may or may not plan to cook and wondering if I really did wash my hands and wipe the counter after the last time I touched the meat.

Being vegetarian is soooooooooooooo much more sanitary.
#15 Old 07-19-2004, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I like being Vegan because I can set my watch to my daily "habits". I run better than clockwork.
#16 Old 07-19-2004, 09:43 AM

So the cows on the farm next to me won't give me evil looks anymore...
#17 Old 07-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

because who needs [insert animal product here] when you have hummus?
#18 Old 07-19-2004, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Not really, no.

Though I suppose if you hate vegetables (and want to see them die).

Ha ha Reminds me of that thread about Violent Vegan. "Death to the infidels!! The streets will flow with the phytochemicals of the non-believers!!"

Actually, I have a pretty creative reason (or, more accurately, a philosophical reason):

The two things that really distinguish us from the rest of the animals on this planet are 1) We change the environment to suit our lives (other animals must adapt to their environment; and 2) We have really big brains that allow us to do #1 really well. Now, IMO, this is not a bad thing, nor is it good, it's just in our nature to be creative rather than reactive where nature is concerned.

The problem is, as we've advanced, we've found ourselves at odds with nature every time we cross it's path. By being the Creative Animal, we've, essentially, managed to put ourselves in a place where we're growing less and less compatible with the rest of the natural world. Few of us spend any real time interracting directly with nature, but where we attempt to be like other animals (such as when we eat animals), we do it so efficiently and effectively that it endangers the natural balance. In my estimation, nature is a balancing act that is maintained by each player in it adapting to it. Humans throw that out the window.

Now, I'm not advocating a return to Eden. It's just not for us. Humans must create. It's in their nature. So, I believe that people have a certain duty to divorce themselves from nature as much as possible (this sort of falls into line with the "no harm" advocacy of veganism for me). Now, that's pretty much impossible now, but in a few hundred years, I imagine we'll be completely divorced from nature, and the biosphere will be free to go on with it's business, and us humans with ours (living in space, or isolated cities that are totally self-sufficient, requiring no outside resources).

We're strangers in our own home, here on Earth. And while we can't create food and other things necessary to survival, we CAN attempt to leave as light a footprint on this planet as possible. As a vegan, I do this by causing the least harm and damage to the environment in the way I live. I still cause mass slaughter of plants (because I must), but I don't have to play the role of super-efficient carnivore. In fact, I don't think it's in any way appropriate for us to do that, considering the damage it causes.

(This reason is above and beyond the issue of suffering, which also motivates me, but doesn't really fit in with the theme of this threaad.)

I hope that all made sense.

The Rev
#19 Old 07-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm finally being true to the convictions I held as a small child.
#20 Old 07-19-2004, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Our veggie start was for a strange reason. We'd been eating very badly. And one night, honestly out of the blue, my brand new husband says, "Let's go vegetarian".

He had done it for years in his youth. I had tried and failed the spring before. But we did. That wknd we cleaned out all the meat and the veg*n clan was born.
#21 Old 07-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I like being vegan not only for ethical and health reasons, but also because it's opened up a whole new world of different types of food for me, and I can introduce different foods to my omni friends and family members.
#22 Old 07-19-2004, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Rincaro--I love your signature. It's so cute!

I like mayuko's reason. I think that will be my new signature.

I like being vegetarain because it seems like there's so many more yummy foods to try. It's not even a restriction for me--it's expanded my diet and cooking repertoire in so many ways. I'm not restricted to the same 4 boring meats as the center of my meal---instead I have dozens of possibilities and none of them have to be the "center". It's sort of like eating tapas every night for dinner--little tastes of everything.
#23 Old 07-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Beginner

On another forum I heard the reason from somebody to be a vegetarian. It was because she has braces. Funny reason.
#24 Old 07-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Beginner

Spring, I go vegetarian for purifying my soul.

Summer, I go vegetarian for eliminating the hot.

Fall, I go vegetarian for enjoying life.

Winter, I go vegetarian for preserving the energy.
#25 Old 07-19-2004, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I don't miss having food poisoning on a regular basis.

I've gotten food poisoning 2x. Once, from coleslaw and another time from a veggie platter.
#26 Old 07-19-2004, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

I've gotten food poisoning 2x. Once, from coleslaw and another time from a veggie platter.

The thing is, a lot of the time (some physicians argue *most* of the time), people don't know that they have food poisoning - they think it's something else. Yes, you can easily contract f.p. from veggie foods - one of the most common culprits around these parts is unwashed fruit.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#27 Old 07-19-2004, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoka View Post

In addition to healthy, ethical reason, do you have any creative reason for being vegetarian or vegan?

I dont have to buy steak knives anymore?
#28 Old 07-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't have a reason for going vegetarian. It was just a whim...like most of the things I do. I don't even really understand what truly motivated me, so it's impossible to explain it to other people, but this is one of the things I like to tell them:

I don't like to follow the crowd. The rest of the world went on Atkins and started eating more meat, so I just gave it up completely. Yup, that's right...I'm an individual...you sheep you!
#29 Old 07-19-2004, 07:14 PM

It teaches compassion and self control.
#30 Old 07-19-2004, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in Taiwan where the meat is so greasy and fatty and ..so now I have a legitimate reason for not eating it.. being vegan! Besides, I run and do yoga and fruits, veggies etc. are just way better for my lifestyle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page