Surrounded by turkey carcasses at work :( - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 07-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I work in a grocery warehouse. We're small compared to the larger chains, but we still service about 100 stores right now.



Anyway, the warehouse I work at doesn't stock meat or dairy in it, which is good by me. However, now they have decided to carry the whole turkeys you see in stores because the meat warehouse just doesn't have the room. I was in the freezer today & noticed that the pallets of turkeys have taken over the place. So, I got curious. How many individual turkeys was I being surrounded by? After my calculations, I came up with 44,143 turkeys!!!!



The sad thing is, this is the slow season for turkeys. We'll be getting many many more in a few months because of the holidays. The sadder thing is that this is just one small warehouse stocking only 100 grocery stores in the world. I've just been sick thinking of all those beautiful turkeys.
GhostUser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 07-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular
 
kpickell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 16,090
Wow. Icky. That's the only bad thing about thanksgiving at the homeless shelter, so many donations of turkeys, at all hours of the night, seems like I'm always carrying one back to the freezer. (Not 44 thousand though!). Nice of them to donate food to the homeless, but whatever happened to the veggies... //
kpickell is offline  
#3 Old 07-16-2004, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 7,866
I work at a grocery store and I see hundreds of animals go by everyday.



Naturally, I just don't think about it. What else is there to do? When I do think about it, I use a technique to calm my mind. I simply remind myself that they're dead. They're certainly not suffering.
Walter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 07-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

I work at a grocery store and I see hundreds of animals go by everyday.



Naturally, I just don't think about it. What else is there to do? When I do think about it, I use a technique to calm my mind. I simply remind myself that they're dead. They're certainly not suffering.



Thanks for sharing that, Mikie. I'll have to use that when I'm in the freezer from now on.
GhostUser is offline  
#5 Old 07-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
You work in a place where they're storing over 44,000 dead bodies, and no one bats an eye? Again, why is it that omnis look at us like WE'RE wierd??







The Rev
GhostUser is offline  
#6 Old 07-16-2004, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 7,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

You work in a place where they're storing over 44,000 dead bodies, and no one bats an eye?

She's batted an eye.
Walter is offline  
#7 Old 07-16-2004, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular
 
MeatIsMurder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 319
That's tough when it's there in front of you. One of our accounts at work is the local Chicken Board - it bothers me enough knowing that my paycheque is to a small degree paid by them. I consider myself lucky that it's the Chicken Board invoices, not carcasses that I have to look at each day.



I have to constantly remind myself that not eating meat is the most powerful thing I can do. It easy to feel overwhelmed by how deeply ingrained the meat industry is into every aspect of our daily lives - even if we're vegan.
MeatIsMurder is offline  
#8 Old 07-16-2004, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Formerbaboon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,201
I couldn't work at a store with turkeys galore. I am always the one who wonders what the animal looked like, what its personality was, if it was male or female, and if it was a mom..etc. etc. I feel bad for you guys!
Formerbaboon is offline  
#9 Old 07-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Banned
 
catgirl67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

You work in a place where they're storing over 44,000 dead bodies, and no one bats an eye? Again, why is it that omnis look at us like WE'RE wierd??







The Rev



Because they have been conditioned to eat meat and think it's normal just like most of us were. And the government has been drilling into our heads that it's good for us for ages. Everyone knows the government just wants what's best for us right? (If you believe that, I've got some ocean front property on Mars I'd like to sell you).
catgirl67 is offline  
#10 Old 07-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular
 
MeatIsMurder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl67 View Post

Because they have been conditioned to eat meat and think it's normal just like most of us were. And the government has been drilling into our heads that it's good for us for ages. Everyone knows the government just wants what's best for us right? (If you believe that, I've got some ocean front property on Mars I'd like to sell you).



And this is exactly why I'm here. Everyone in my life still believes that crap. After 10 years of being vegetarian I have not influenced any one of my friends or family members enough to give it a try. And it's impossible to vent about this stuff to them, because they just don't get it.



I think many meat-eaters know that eating meat is unhealthy and morally wrong, but they refuse to allow themselves to think about it because they can't be bothered to deal with it. It's easier to ignore the vegetarians and stick with the masses and have a second helping of pulled pork. Ever notice how they get sooo defensive - like they're guilty of something and they've got to cover it up!??
MeatIsMurder is offline  
#11 Old 07-16-2004, 06:40 PM
Banned
 
catgirl67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatIsMurder View Post

And this is exactly why I'm here. Everyone in my life still believes that crap. After 10 years of being vegetarian I have not influenced any one of my friends or family members enough to give it a try. And it's impossible to vent about this stuff to them, because they just don't get it.



I think many meat-eaters know that eating meat is unhealthy and morally wrong, but they refuse to allow themselves to think about it because they can't be bothered to deal with it. It's easier to ignore the vegetarians and stick with the masses and have a second helping of pulled pork. Ever notice how they get sooo defensive - like they're guilty of something and they've got to cover it up!??





I'm a Christian. Have you ever had an annoying Christian approach you at the mall telling you that you are going to hell because you don't know Jesus? Well, I can assure you that was NOT me! . That approach almost always made me want to run as fast and as far away from them as possible. One day, I asked someone that was really cool how they always stayed calm. I knew she was a Christian, and I wanted to hear what she had to say. She wasn't preachy, and didn't offer any information that I didn't ask for. What she said to me stuck. It was many years later before I acted on what she said and became a Christian, but she planted a seed that grew.



With the vegetarian thing, I try the same approach. If someone asks me why I don't eat meat, I will tell them. If we are near a computer, I will show the the Meet your Meat video by PETA, and tell them about my health. If they don't ask, I'm not going to say a word. It saves headaches, and they just may be a vegetarian in the future. If I were to beat them over the head, they will run far and fast to the nearest Burger King.
catgirl67 is offline  
#12 Old 07-16-2004, 06:45 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

She's batted an eye.



Yeah, but she ain't no one!







The Rev
GhostUser is offline  
#13 Old 07-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
MeatIsMurder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl67 View Post

I'm a Christian. You will never see me shoving the Bible down someone's throat. I prefer to live the Bible, not preach it. Actions speak louder than words. Have you ever had an annoying Christian tell you you are going to hell, and not shut up? It makes you want to run as far away as you can, as fast as you can. When it comes to the vegetarian thing, I try to do the same thing. If someone asks why I'm not eating meat, I'll tell them. If not, the subject doesn't come up. It saves headaches.

I totally agree with you catgirl. I'm hoping that my venting here will save my relationship with my boyfriend! I think he's had about enough with me!



Oh, oh! But he has decided to stop eating veal! He saw a cute little calf with it's mom in a field one day, and decided he didn't want to eat the babies anymore...still liked the look of it's mom and her teats though! I'm such a jerk! I should be happy with his baby-steps. I'll tell him that I'm happy about his veal decision tonight!
MeatIsMurder is offline  
#14 Old 07-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Banned
 
catgirl67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,754
MeatIsMurder,



Sometimes it's hard to contain your emotions when you are passionate about something. Don't beat yourself up, but at the same time, tell him you're proud of his choice. I think there are lots of people on this board who have omni partners. I think there is a thread called "Omni lover". You may want to check it out.
catgirl67 is offline  
#15 Old 07-16-2004, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular
 
tearhsong2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatIsMurder View Post

I totally agree with you catgirl. I'm hoping that my venting here will save my relationship with my boyfriend! I think he's had about enough with me!



Oh, oh! But he has decided to stop eating veal! He saw a cute little calf with it's mom in a field one day, and decided he didn't want to eat the babies anymore...still liked the look of it's mom and her teats though! I'm such a jerk! I should be happy with his baby-steps. I'll tell him that I'm happy about his veal decision tonight!



There are days it's not easy to have an omni sig. other. My husband is omni and we've learned to give each other our personal space when it comes to our dietary habits. He'll take me to veg*n restaurants/veg*n friendly restaurants and be supportive of my vegetarianism as long as I respect his dietary decisions. It's a fair trade off and it works very well for us. Through my influence, he eats a lot less meat, more vegetables, and whole grains than he ever did before. I'm happy with that. He's healthier because of the small steps he's made.



Don't preach so much and he'll be a lot more likely to accept healthier eating habits through your example. He might not ever be a veg*n, but even if he eats 10% less meat, 10% less dairy, 10% less eggs because of your influence, it still makes a big difference for his own health and in reducing the demand for animal products.
tearhsong2 is offline  
#16 Old 07-19-2004, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular
 
MeatIsMurder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearhsong2 View Post

Don't preach so much and he'll be a lot more likely to accept healthier eating habits through your example. He might not ever be a veg*n, but even if he eats 10% less meat, 10% less dairy, 10% less eggs because of your influence, it still makes a big difference for his own health and in reducing the demand for animal products.



You know, I never used to be preachy...and I don't particularly think I am preachy now, though I admit to having the odd preachy moment. I always took a lot of pride in how diplomatic I was as a vegetarian. But I'm starting to feel a bit like a pushover. It seems like after 10 years of not really fighting back, I hit the gym and got all pumped up and now I'm ready to rumble!!!



Anyone else ever feel that way?



My boyfriend and I have been living together for over 8 years - we're fine. But like you said, there are days when it's not easy. He just happens to be the one to bear the brunt of my fury! He understands how I feel, but not as well as another vegetarian/vegan would. He tries really hard. We both do.
MeatIsMurder is offline  
#17 Old 07-20-2004, 09:36 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I hear ya. Sometimes it's difficult to love an omnivore. (Like the other night when she bought a pre-cooked chicken and it stunk up the car ). However, by not being preachy or pushing her, she has come around on some issues, and enjoys more vegan meals with me. She's also very open to trying new foods, and sees my veganism as an excuse to eat a little better.



She loves animals as much as me, tho, so I'm kinda curious how this will end. I mean, you can't be devoted to animals and still eat meat, unless you are in some kind of denial, IMO. But how long can you stay in denial, fight off the horrible truth about what you're eating, when there's a vegan in the house?



Either she's going to go veg, or eventually kill me and wear my pelt.







The Rev
GhostUser is offline  
#18 Old 07-21-2004, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
MeatIsMurder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

Either she's going to go veg, or eventually kill me and wear my pelt.







The Rev



I bet she'd eat you too! I'm sure we veggies are awful tasty!
MeatIsMurder is offline  
#19 Old 07-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatIsMurder View Post

I bet she'd eat you too! I'm sure we veggies are awful tasty!



I've been told that I am.
GhostUser is offline  
#20 Old 07-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular
 
MeatIsMurder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

I've been told that I am.

That's what I'm talkin' about! Woot!
MeatIsMurder is offline  
#21 Old 07-21-2004, 06:21 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

I've been told that I am.



In my experience, vegetarians ARE more physically appealling. Better scent, better bodies, better energy. It's all about the baby!!







The Rev
GhostUser is offline  
#22 Old 07-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Plus, veg*ism is just frickin' hot.
GhostUser is offline  
#23 Old 07-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
MeatIsMurder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 319
Word!
MeatIsMurder is offline  
#24 Old 07-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Skylark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 15,684
I work in the kitchen at a nursing home. The meat the residents get looks so nasty to me...it's a mixed blessing I suppose that most of it is breaded and looks nothing like flesh.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Skylark is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off