Pizza: Pick the Meat Off or Don't Eat It? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

#1 Old 05-06-2015, 12:12 PM

Pizza: Pick the Meat Off or Don't Eat It?

What do you guys think about picking the meat off of pizza or sandwiches? Would you do it? Why or why not? As a new vegetarian, I don't want to but I have no reason to back it up except the rock solid "Because." Thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-06-2015, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't. I simply don't want to eat something that I know touched meat.
In pizza, I can see why you would ask. Someone orders pizza for everyone and you don't want to tell them to order another just for you, and you pick the meat out of your slices. I don't understand why you'd question that in sandwiches, though. It's very easy for someone to make a sandwich without meat.

You don't want to, you don't want to. Period. You don't have to justify every action to every one with a reason.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 05-06-2015 at 12:41 PM.
#3 Old 05-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Chaotic Vegetarian

At school, I used to change meat for other stuff on the pizza, like olives or cheese. If you just take stuff off your dish you'll end up not eating enough. Especially for sandwiches...

Also, meat leaves animal fat everywhere so even if you remove the chorizo, your pizza will be soaked in pig fat. If that doesn't disgust you and if you don't want to turn your friends veg* then I see no problem.
Purp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bon appétit !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

i dont pick meat off pizza, I order vegetarian pizzas. I am more than willing to pay for my own pizza, and I dont expect anyone else to eat the same meatless pizza as me. However, when I order vegetarian pizzas, people always want a slice, because veggie pizza is amazing.
Purp, LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
#5 Old 05-06-2015, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

I don't eat something that's touched meat if I can help it, but that's more of an "ick" thing than an ethical decision. I can't see anything WRONG with picking the meat off food you're given, but the idea is just super gross to me.
Purp likes this.
#6 Old 05-06-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
i dont pick meat off pizza, I order vegetarian pizzas. I am more than willing to pay for my own pizza, and I dont expect anyone else to eat the same meatless pizza as me. However, when I order vegetarian pizzas, people always want a slice, because veggie pizza is amazing.
Oh my goodness yes, even before I was veggie I ordered a sundried tomato and herb pizza from a proper italian restaurant and it was the tastiest pizza I'd ever had!
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 05-06-2015, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Just as I wouldn't pick human flesh off pizza and then eat the pizza, I don't pick non-human flesh off.
silva, Purp, Vegan Dave and 2 others like this.
#8 Old 05-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

plus when you pick the meat off, the pizza is still covered in meat grease. Pepperoni and sausage being the big offenders here.
Purp, LedBoots, Vegan Dave and 1 others like this.
#9 Old 05-06-2015, 03:05 PM
Ankle Biter

Picking the meat off might save you calories, but it doesn't do anything for animals. In fact, throwing away meat is deliberately ignoring pain and suffering. We need to make it completely clear to whoever prepares the pie that there is to be no meat on our portion of the pizza.

IMHO, we need to speak up about our veg*n choices. Sure, initially when we change the way we eat, friends and family might have some smart comments. But that's ok, it takes everyone a little while to get used to new things. However with time, we should expect those who like us and love us to be willing to make allowances for our decision to be veg*n. If they don't, then perhaps that relationship isn't as good as was thought.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#10 Old 05-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

You haven't mentioned what you would do to the meat slices after picking them off, seeing as you're in a restaurant the only choice would be to throw them, short of putting them in a wrap and taking it in your pocket to feed a pet etc.

Throwing them away after picking them out would literally do no good for the cause of vegetarianism. Some veggies also ask if they can break gelatin capsules in half only to consume the vitamins inside but no, if that's the case one might as well consume whatever they've bought because it's been paid for and the demand is already created for the supplier who will count it as "one meat pizza sold", only the meat would go to waste.

I'm only looking at this practically, its no longer about the disgust factor or violating rules of vegetarianism.. in the end it either helps an animal live longer or it doesn't. The only way you can help is by showing demand for non-meat/non-cheese items at the counter. We all know 20-33% food is wasted daily including meat so its not that they are short-stacked. THIS is what has to change.
no whey jose likes this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#11 Old 05-06-2015, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't pick meat off either. Pretty much for the same reasons as everyone else (especially beautiful joe), but I am also wondering what's in the bread/crust...egg, L Cysteine, honey, other animal byproducts? Restaurant bread can be notorious for hidden animal ingredients. I'm not ok with that. It might not always make a difference as far as direct suffering/profit, but it sends a message to others that it is not acceptable to me to exploit animals.
Purp, Vegan Dave and no whey jose like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 05-06-2015, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna.Wright View Post
What do you guys think about picking the meat off of pizza or sandwiches? Would you do it? Why or why not? As a new vegetarian, I don't want to but I have no reason to back it up except the rock solid "Because." Thanks for the input!
I order veggie pizza, but if the person who ordered the pizza isn't vegetarian, or isn't aware that you are, just tell them, in the future, no meat, please. If they do know you are a vegetarian and don't care, or respect your choices, then there's the third option of throttling the *ahem* living daylights out of them...Not that I'm advocating violence or anything like that.
no whey jose likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#13 Old 05-06-2015, 09:41 PM

A relative once asked whether I could eat the food if she picked out the salmon or if it was "contaminated". Yes, it is contaminated! It actually describes my feelings on the matter really well. It's the animal fat I guess, it grosses me out.

She was really nice about it though.
Purp and Ad Elie like this.
#14 Old 05-06-2015, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I am currently not eating processed food, but had no problem taking things off of pizza. I did not eat cheese so I basically took it all off and ate crust with a bit of sauce.I have to admit crust is so tasty. I would not worry about it. You are not contributing to the demand of meat.
Purp likes this.
#15 Old 05-07-2015, 01:01 AM
Veggie Regular

@Naturebound The only thing here is that despite the easy availability of vegan sources of binding agents, nutrients, flavour agents etc companies STILL choose to carry on with their archaic ways of preparing products including usage of L-cysteine in bread to increase its shelf life. Gelatin is used in ice-creams & capsules even though fruit derived substitutes are easily found in the form of fruit pulp binding agents for ice cream & cellulose derived veggie capsules that maybe a bit squishy but is far more healthy compared to collagen based gel capsules.

This is all due to the high demand for meat and thus meat derived by-products are freely available and industrialization of the same would cost much less than seeking more natural alternatives. People who take supplements mostly do not have any idea that the lipids, methionine, fats, proteins etc have their origin from meat. The only way to be sure of 100% vegetarian origin food is to make it right at home. The companies have far too many agendas like making products taste good, pushing more sales & differentiating from competition to even care about what goes in it, as long as it sells they'll flavour it with anything.

Coming back to the topic, who cares if the pizza doesn't have cheese? The Italians back then might've had plenty of sheep & cows so they happened to specialize in extracting cheese & happened to use it in pizza, it doesn't mean that's the law. The Italian pizza & German burger had only one agenda.. easy preparation, non messy way of eating by cleverly adding staple food into the bread. That doesn't mean every country's staple food is meat or cheese. I've had pizza coated with olive oil to create softness.. with all other veggie toppings and spices included I hardly noticed any difference. Same could be said of vegetable oil or vegan parmesan cheese too, sure the texture might change but why not? I bet if those companies preparing the foods were more open minded and sympathetic to vegans than just count money, we can mutually find many ways to create new foods with least impact to the life on earth. The current situation almost seems like food makers playing pranks on everyone in this room & we have to stay ever vigilant, one slip-up & we'd have already eaten something non-vegan with a company rep standing behind pointing at us saying HA-HA!
Purp likes this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

Last edited by varun; 05-07-2015 at 01:04 AM.
#16 Old 05-07-2015, 04:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna.Wright View Post
no, because i don't want the meat juice and i don't want the cheese.
#17 Old 05-07-2015, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun View Post
@Naturebound The only thing here is that despite the easy availability of vegan sources of binding agents, nutrients, flavour agents etc companies STILL choose to carry on with their archaic ways of preparing products including usage of L-cysteine in bread to increase its shelf life. Gelatin is used in ice-creams & capsules even though fruit derived substitutes are easily found in the form of fruit pulp binding agents for ice cream & cellulose derived veggie capsules that maybe a bit squishy but is far more healthy compared to collagen based gel capsules.

This is all due to the high demand for meat and thus meat derived by-products are freely available and industrialization of the same would cost much less than seeking more natural alternatives. People who take supplements mostly do not have any idea that the lipids, methionine, fats, proteins etc have their origin from meat. The only way to be sure of 100% vegetarian origin food is to make it right at home. The companies have far too many agendas like making products taste good, pushing more sales & differentiating from competition to even care about what goes in it, as long as it sells they'll flavour it with anything.

Coming back to the topic, who cares if the pizza doesn't have cheese? The Italians back then might've had plenty of sheep & cows so they happened to specialize in extracting cheese & happened to use it in pizza, it doesn't mean that's the law. The Italian pizza & German burger had only one agenda.. easy preparation, non messy way of eating by cleverly adding staple food into the bread. That doesn't mean every country's staple food is meat or cheese. I've had pizza coated with olive oil to create softness.. with all other veggie toppings and spices included I hardly noticed any difference. Same could be said of vegetable oil or vegan parmesan cheese too, sure the texture might change but why not? I bet if those companies preparing the foods were more open minded and sympathetic to vegans than just count money, we can mutually find many ways to create new foods with least impact to the life on earth. The current situation almost seems like food makers playing pranks on everyone in this room & we have to stay ever vigilant, one slip-up & we'd have already eaten something non-vegan with a company rep standing behind pointing at us saying HA-HA!
Pizza with olive oil is delicious! I prefer to leave out the tomato sauce, too, and just have oil and spices with vegetable toppings. I am personally not a fan of mozzarella, not even the vegan versions.
#18 Old 05-07-2015, 05:47 AM

It took me about 3 months to transition to being a vegetarian. During that time I was educating myself about nutrition, learning new ways to cook one meal at a time, learning how to order in restaurants and adapt to social situations. During that time I would have picked off the pepperoni and felt okay doing it because I was still learning and adapting and trying to make this work with my life. I was allowing myself a few cheats here and there and some flexibility in implementation due to the fact that I hadn't yet come out and declared myself vegetarian to others. I also didn't feel right insisting on a veggie pizza when I wasn't yet fully vegetarian...felt hypocritical if I insisted on veggie and then the next day the same person sees me eating a dish with meat in it...they might feel put out that they had accommodated me and I wasn't even serious about it.

At a certain point, though, I had to draw some boundaries and not eating meat or meat juices was one of them. I would tell the people ordering the pizza to order a veggie or a half-veggie. If there are not others who want it, I would pay for it and take home the leftovers. I have a few reasons for this...one, the pizza with picked off meat still created demand for meat and animals will have to be killed to meet it. Doesn't matter if the meat went into your mouth or not. Two, it communicates to others that these principles are important to you and you expect them to respect and make reasonable allowances like this. It sets a pattern for the future. As a new veg, I had to learn to be assertive without being too demanding that events be centered around me...to find that balance. I think asking for a veggie pizza and being willing to pay extra if my choice is unpopular is a reasonable level of assertiveness (though in my experience the veg and cheese pizzas are popular among meat eaters too). Three, it was a psychological thing, a way of setting a firm boundary that I don't cross. If I took off the pepperoni then why not just eat it...the demand for meat is the same? Why worry about that little bit of broth in the soup, it is just a trace? And so on...a slippery slope. So I draw a line there with meat juices and don't eat food with meat ingredients, even if they are picked out.

I'm still in that looser stage of implementation of the no eggs/dairy and don't set firm anti cheese/egg boundaries while out, though I cook vegan at home. I would make my pizza cheeseless at home but eat cheese pizza with friends. I may one day tighten that up but until then I'm not thinking of myself as a fully vegan or calling myself that. A vegan-ish vegetarian, maybe?

Last edited by Docbanana; 05-07-2015 at 05:56 AM.
#19 Old 05-07-2015, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I guess it depends on the situation. If I'm ordering the pizza and paying for the pizza and it comes out with unwanted meat ... I will send it straight back as 'not what I ordered'. If there's pizza (and only pizza) at a party and that's all there is to eat ... and there's no crisps ... and I'm miles and miles away from a shop ... and I've not eaten all day and am starving ... I might pick the meat off and eat it. I suppose I'm having difficulty imagining a scenario where the meaty pizza is my only choice.

As for why not ... it's bad for me. Meat makes my joints swell up and then I have pain for days and days afterwards.
Purp likes this.

Last edited by Shallot; 05-07-2015 at 05:57 AM. Reason: forgot something
#20 Old 05-07-2015, 06:10 AM
Veggie Regular

As a new vegetarian, I would pick the meat off and eat it the pizza. (And yes, take it home for someone who ate meat.) Soon, the idea of the fat and and juice from meat on the pizza prevented me from being able to eat it. You can taste it.
Purp likes this.
#21 Old 05-07-2015, 06:33 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
I don't. I simply don't want to eat something that I know touched meat.

Exactly.........

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#22 Old 05-07-2015, 08:06 AM

Thank you all so much for your input. I'm still new at this and don't quite know what would be the difference between simple vegetarian and crazy high maintenance annoying person at the party. I need to be more assertive and know when to say what. Thanks guys
Purp and no whey jose like this.
#23 Old 05-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

There's always going to be somebody who thinks a differing idea is crazy.

You just do what you like. If someone else makes an issue of it, that's their problem. You don't even need to explain yourself, if you don't want to.
Purp and Naturebound like this.
#24 Old 05-07-2015, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

It really is killing me to read this. I have not had any type of bread for two weeks. I am so addicted to bread and the thought of having a cheese less pizza sounds amazing. There are a lot of crusts that have dairy so it might be worth asking. I suppose if it does it would probably be a very small amount. I wonder how beets would be on a pizza? That sounds really good.
Purp and mecanna like this.
#25 Old 05-07-2015, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post
It really is killing me to read this. I have not had any type of bread for two weeks. I am so addicted to bread and the thought of having a cheese less pizza sounds amazing. There are a lot of crusts that have dairy so it might be worth asking. I suppose if it does it would probably be a very small amount. I wonder how beets would be on a pizza? That sounds really good.
The crusts are my favourite bit! You're right that it's important to ask about the crust ingredients. Pizza Hut's thin crust and Papa John's regular crust are the only vegan crusts at those chains, but smaller, more veg-friendly pizza parlours sometimes have a wider selection.

I'd try beets on a pizza, why not?
Purp likes this.
#26 Old 05-07-2015, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

It is pretty amazing how many food options you have when you step out of the box of the common foods. I used to eat a very processed diet and have been trying to eat all kinds of veggies and fruits. I have a long way to go but am enjoying the process. : )
#27 Old 05-07-2015, 02:20 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

I always have something to eat with me, so no meat contamination food for me. Never, i'd rather die.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#28 Old 05-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

It's the same to me as finding a fly, or a cockroach on my food.

Can you imagine someone saying "can't you just pick it off?"
Purp, mecanna and no whey jose like this.
#29 Old 05-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post
My wife & I go to this officially licensed pizza place from Venice. Great pizza.

I order the veggie pizza without cheese, and all it well. No anti-vegan remarks.

You could buy a pizza crust & create your own beet pizza....which sounds fabulous!!!

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#30 Old 05-07-2015, 03:47 PM
Chaotic Vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
It's the same to me as finding a fly, or a cockroach on my food.

Can you imagine someone saying "can't you just pick it off?"
Of course ! Same with those small slugs on the salad or the worms in apples... It's just normal to sometimes find those animals.

Bon appétit !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page