Why not turning vegan ? Reasons to stay a vegetarian - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 102Likes

#61 Old 06-11-2015, 07:56 PM

More convenience than anything else but it's SERIOUS convenience.

- Husband has TMJ and lots of food restrictions due to it: he can't chew red meat or poultry, nuts and seeds, hearty grains like brown rice or quinoa, crusty bread, pizza, many raw vegetables and raw fruits, most dried fruit, etc. If I went vegan I'd be cooking two entirely different meals every time we sat down to eat at home. It's tricky enough as it is.

- I'm a foodie (trained chef, happy NYC restaurant goer), it's a trait I share with my husband, and eating vegan would severely restrict our enjoyable social restaurant times

- I weight train and have to monitor my food to get enough protein through eggs, nuts and dairy; cutting out two of those foods would mean a lot of processed protein supplements instead, and I'd rather eat organic eggs and dairy than rely on the supplements

Occasionally, without announcing it, I'll eat vegan at home and vegetarian everywhere else, but even this works best when my husband is out of town and I'm cooking for one.
Jue35 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 06-12-2015, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
Yes, because I need my coffee fix or I get grumpy And if I just waited in the drive thru for 15 minutes, I'm not leaving empty handed. I love tea, but it's not a substitute for coffee. It has only happened twice, it's not a regular occurrence.
Dude, I understand. I've mostly given up coffee these last few months, and tea is just not cutting it!
#63 Old 06-12-2015, 02:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Coffee - sweet nectar of life, how I love thee!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 06-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Dude, I understand. I've mostly given up coffee these last few months, and tea is just not cutting it!
I don't think I'll ever give up coffee. Ever!!!!!!

It's bad though because I sweeten it with syrup. Sugar is the reason 70% of my clothes don't fit me anymore

no whey jose likes this.
#65 Old 06-14-2015, 11:55 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
I don't think I'll ever give up coffee. Ever!!!!!!

It's bad though because I sweeten it with syrup. Sugar is the reason 70% of my clothes don't fit me anymore
I couldn't give it up either! Though I'm trying to cut back on the sugar, my summer wardrob consist of big sweaters and sweat pants since there isn't anything from last year that fits right. Apprently I gained weight due to all the sweet snacks I eat.... Like that's possible Hahahaha

Envoyé en utilisant Tapatalk.
danakscully64 likes this.

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur

#66 Old 06-16-2015, 01:04 PM
Sheep in Wolf's Clothing

Love this thread!! I love the positivity and acceptance.

I eat vegan most of the time, but I haven't been able to go "to the other side" completely-I've tried and I felt just too hungry all the time, despite eating lots of protein and fats. The social isolation was really hard, too and that honestly took a toll on my mental health. Its crazy to think something like that would have such an effect, but they say that social gatherings contribute a lot to how long people live...so I guess its not so surprising.

I'm happy the way I am right now. I do what I can without compromising my health, and I think that is an awesome place to be in my mind. I am not against veganism at all and I am so happy there are people who are able to do it, but I hope everyone struggling with veganism comes to this realization and is able to keep their own health in mind while still thinking of the "big picture".
danakscully64, Ad Elie and Jue35 like this.
#67 Old 06-18-2015, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't help but notice the last few points have been about coffee ... and how you can still drink coffee while vegan. :-)
leedsveg likes this.
#68 Old 06-18-2015, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallot View Post
I can't help but notice the last few points have been about coffee ... and how you can still drink coffee while vegan. :-)
Mod Post

You're right Shallot, these are off-topic posts as this is the Vegetarian Support Forum. I've deleted them as I will any more similar (off-topic) posts.

Leedsveg: Moderator Team

#69 Old 06-20-2015, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Leedsveg
It really wasn't a criticism! I'm still vegetarian and it was more amusement that we're all so coffee obsessed that it became a talking point. :-)
#70 Old 06-20-2015, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok, understood Shallot.

Vegans shouldn't be going off-topic though and talking about purely vegan matters in the Vegetarian Support Forum. If I seem a bit obsessive about this, it's because I don't want the voices of our vegetarian members to get submerged, even when people are no doubt well meaning with their posts.

Leedsveg
#71 Old 06-20-2015, 02:21 PM
Veggie Regular

:-)
Thanks for looking out for us! I know I appreciate this space (Veggieboards) for it's inclusiveness and that we can all express our opinions without it becoming too heated ... most of the time.
#72 Old 06-20-2015, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I think those with texture issues/autism spectrum disorders would struggle on a vegan diet if they are unable to eat a normal variety of foods. So that is a consideration.

However if there were more vegan medical food options (protien bars, ensure shakes) it would be easier.

(random thought about my own child)
LedBoots likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page