9Likes
  • 3 Post By leedsveg
  • 2 Post By Cyclone T
  • 1 Post By dormouse
  • 2 Post By Shallot
  • 1 Post By Beautiful Joe

#1 Old 03-28-2015, 09:02 AM

Accidently eating food with gelatine

Sorry if this isn't the right type of forum to post this on. I'll delete it if so
Basically, I was half way through eating a chocolate mousse and I was looking at the package of the mousse when I see that it contains pork gelatine. I was so annoyed at myself for not looking at the ingredients in the first place (didn't teen think mousse would contain it)
I feel so bad, I've been so so careful with what I eat in the past year of being a vegetarian and a year before that of being a pescitarian :'( I always check the packages and make sure that my parents double check the labels and now I've made a silly mistake ;( has anyone else made a mistake like that? I'm going to be checking every single label from now on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-28-2015, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Emily and welcome to the forum.

It's so annoying but I imagine that we all miss that odd ingredient sooner or later. When I went vegan, I was eating muesli that contained whey powder for 3 months until I happened one day to look at the contents. All we can do is learn from the experience and move on.

Leedsveg

Last edited by leedsveg; 03-28-2015 at 11:16 AM.
#3 Old 03-28-2015, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

We've all been there Emily so try not to feel too bad about it.
LedBoots and David3 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-28-2015, 12:33 PM

Things like whey powder and gelatine crop up in so many unexpected places I think they would be impossible to avoid unless you read the label of everything, every time. I agree that I wouldn't expect chocolate mousse to have gelatine in it, and certainly if you made it at home it wouldn't, but unfortunately most bought products aren't made the way we would make things at home!

I was at a social function once and there was a tin of Roses chocolates to share, so I dug in (vegetarian at the time, so not worried about the milk chocolate). Someone was looking at the tin and said 'Aren't you vegetarian? Did you know these have gelatine in them?'. It didn't occur to me that chocolates with fillings like caramel, coffee, toffee etc would have gelatine and it didn't even say which type so I couldn't eat any of them . I also nearly bought Greek yoghurt which was thickened with gelatine, but fortunately glanced at the ingredient list before it was too late.
#5 Old 03-28-2015, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

That's happened to me before, and I'm sure I've eaten gelatin in desserts out at restaurants or that other people have brought to potlucks unwittingly. When I first went vegetarian, I ate Yoplait yogurt for probably six months before I happened to notice that it contained gelatin. I knew not to eat Jello and gummy bears, but I didn't think to be wary of any foods that weren't particularly "gelatinous." You learn and you move on.
LedBoots likes this.

Last edited by dormouse; 03-28-2015 at 12:38 PM. Reason: typo
#6 Old 03-29-2015, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

It's extraordinary how often meat products turn up. I try to keep an eye out for the suitable for vegetarians label and if I don't see it I read the ingredients.
#7 Old 03-29-2015, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Gelatin is in lots of things - mousses, candy, yoghurt, etc.

Another one for which vegetarians need to be on the lookout is rennet in cheese.

And beef or chicken fat is found in lots of unexpected places, including Hostess products.
Jasminedesi16 likes this.
#8 Old 03-29-2015, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

I was eating Altoids mints for years before I realized they have gelatin. It happens, unfortunately!
#9 Old 03-31-2015, 03:50 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

I got a flu shot last Fall.

Last month, I got the flu. Really?!!!

My shot was for the A strain......I got the B strain.

I felt like crap, for 9 days, and was craving Jello.....sore throat & all. But I can't eat it.

I need to find a vegan replacement.....for next year......just in case.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#10 Old 03-31-2015, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post
I got a flu shot last Fall.

Last month, I got the flu. Really?!!!

My shot was for the A strain......I got the B strain.

I felt like crap, for 9 days, and was craving Jello.....sore throat & all. But I can't eat it.

I need to find a vegan replacement.....for next year......just in case.
How do you know what strain you got?
I went to my doctor with what seemed like a bad sinus infection. Got antibiotics, two days later I was achey, horrid cough, and chilled insides. Down and out for three days.
I find a good cup of miso is the best thing for being sick (or not sick)

Aldi's have fruit jel cups in strawberry and orange that are made from locust bean gum-the tree not the insect. They're only a dollar. You can vegan ones in NFS, but they've silly priced. I think Hunts jel cups are vegan too
#11 Old 03-31-2015, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Does anyone remember a candy like Altoids called Velamints?
They came in a tin like Altoids, but weren't "strong". They had wintergreen, peppermint, but more importantly-chocolate! It wasn't even minty chocolate, they were a great mild chocolate taste, and from researching them, vegan.
#12 Old 04-06-2015, 06:17 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
How do you know what strain you got?
I went to my doctor with what seemed like a bad sinus infection. Got antibiotics, two days later I was achey, horrid cough, and chilled insides. Down and out for three days.
I find a good cup of miso is the best thing for being sick (or not sick)

Aldi's have fruit jel cups in strawberry and orange that are made from locust bean gum-the tree not the insect. They're only a dollar. You can vegan ones in NFS, but they've silly priced. I think Hunts jel cups are vegan too
When I went to the doctor, I asked her why I got the flu, after I got a flu shot. She asked if I had the flu in December, and I said no. She said the flu shot I got was for the A strain, and since I got the flu in March, it was the B strain. I guess they put out a shot based on certain strains, then others appear, or something. Obviously, I'm not a doctor, and am relying on what she said.

Thanks for the jello info......I'll check it out!!

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#13 Old 04-09-2015, 04:13 AM

I've been vegetarian for 3 (or 4!?) years and even recently, my partner and I were eating desserts that I soon realised contained gelatin. I felt horrendously guilty but chalked it up to experience and am more careful than ever about checking labels these days. You're only human and will make mistakes, just consider it a learning curve
#14 Old 04-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Part-Time Russian

Two days ago I accidentally ate candy with milk in it, stomach was killing me all night and the morning after.

Born in Mississippi, lives in Mississippi, Loves Vegemite
Has no Accent
Vegan
Honors Student

For some reason everyone thinks I'm weird...

Languages: English both Brit and American.
русский
Deutsch
Español
#15 Old 04-12-2015, 01:52 PM

A friend handed me a candy cigarette when I visited him for old times sakes and I later read the box and it said that beef gelatin was an ingredient, you can only do the best that you can. Wine is the biggest kicker though due to fish swim bladder fluid (or whatever it's called), I'm wary of any wine I drink before I drink it.

Sour cream is another big one I remember as I didn't know it had animal flesh in it until a week into my switch to being a Vegetarian.
#16 Old 04-12-2015, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travalanche View Post
A friend handed me a candy cigarette when I visited him for old times sakes and I later read the box and it said that beef gelatin was an ingredient, you can only do the best that you can. Wine is the biggest kicker though due to fish swim bladder fluid (or whatever it's called), I'm wary of any wine I drink before I drink it.

Sour cream is another big one I remember as I didn't know it had animal flesh in it until a week into my switch to being a Vegetarian.
Hello Travalanche! You might find this site informative:

http://cookingstoned.tv/blog/2014/06...rian-or-vegan/

as well as:
http://www.barnivore.com/
#17 Old 04-12-2015, 03:01 PM

I just did the same thing. I bought 5 organic coconut yogurts from the supermarket and I didnt notice that it contained milk until I got home. I was loading up my fridge and big as day, in big bold letters, the ingredients read "Organic Milk and Whole Cream."I am upset. lol
#18 Old 04-12-2015, 09:41 PM

I bought a vegetable soup and fortunately I happened to look at the ingredients and it contained chicken. So I donated it to food bank. It happens to all of us so don't be guilty. We learn from our mistakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page