Fruitarian - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-07-2004, 03:04 AM

There's a defnition of this diet on www.vegsoc.org

"A type of vegan diet where very few processed or cooked foods are eaten. Consists mainly of raw fruit, grains and nuts. Fruitarians believe only plant foods that can be harvested without killing the plant should be eaten."

Does anyone here know any fruitarians? Is this diet advisable at all?!

Just curious - I imagine one would be back and forth to the toilet rather regularly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-07-2004, 07:08 AM

I thought a fruitarian diet consists of very few grains as most cannot be eaten raw...

If you go to the raw and living foods forum you'll probably get more detailed information and advice.
#3 Old 07-07-2004, 07:36 AM

My brother happens to be one.....I don't think he's getting enough vitamins though......I wouldn't recommend it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-07-2004, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Might wanna check out the Raw Foods Board, too, I'm sure they'd be knowledgable over there
#5 Old 07-07-2004, 09:31 AM
Beginner

This is a dangerous diet that does not supply adequate nutrition. We were not meant to eat only fruit, sorry.
#6 Old 07-07-2004, 10:10 AM
Beginner

Wasn't there a movie with julia roberts and she said she was a fruitarian to some guy? Im not really into chick flicks so im not sure the name. and more about fruitarianism it would be very bad for your health.
#7 Old 07-07-2004, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesday View Post

I thought a fruitarian diet consists of very few grains as most cannot be eaten raw...

A fruitarian diet doesn't have to be raw. There are raw fruitarians out there though. Likewise, raw-foodists aren't necessarily fruitarian.

Raw fruitarians can eat sprouted grains and beans, I imagine. But, since I think being fruitarian is an ethical decision, rather than a health decision, I can't see any reason why grains or beans couldn't be cooked.

I think if anyone was going to try a fruitarian diet, it's worth doing a LOT of research into nutrition before embarking on it.
#8 Old 07-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

i wouldn't try it. it sounds pretty and tasty, but in the end fruit has very little substance to it. one cannot survive on vitamin c alone. and i would imagine you'd feel hungry all the time.
#9 Old 07-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes I feel like Fruitarians are silly, but other times I really understand where they are coming from. I won't automatically assume that you can't get all your vitamins/protein/minerals and so forth from fruits and nuts/seeds because I hate when people tell me that I can't because I am vegan. So, to each their own, I say. I would never do it, but I totally get why they do it. It's the ultimate cruelty-free diet, I suppose, but it's way too restrictive for moi.

Kelly
#10 Old 07-07-2004, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by desolationangel View Post

i wouldn't try it. it sounds pretty and tasty, but in the end fruit has very little substance to it. one cannot survive on vitamin c alone. and i would imagine you'd feel hungry all the time.

I am NOT fruitarian, however fruits do supply more vitamins then C, they have A also with selenium and a bunch of other things. However, you would have to take a lot of supplements. And fruitarians also eat nuts and seeds which have other nutrients in them. But, like I said, it would be quite difficult and not the healthiest choice in my opinion.
#11 Old 07-08-2004, 02:53 AM
Veggie Regular

'tis not something I would recommend either
#12 Old 07-08-2004, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

There is at least one on the board.. I forget who though

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#13 Old 07-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

FruitarianGirl is fruitarian. She posts in the raw food section.
#14 Old 07-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it would be very difficult to maintain health. I suppose it must be possible, considering I have heard of a lot of fruitarians.
#15 Old 01-15-2005, 05:26 AM
Banned

LISTEN TO ME! I doubt that there are any true fruitarians who dont eat seeds or nuts but yet exactly I plan to be one because it is very simple - TO BE A TRUE FRUITARIAN - EATING NO SEEDS, you just GET A SUPPLY OF THE FRUITS YOUR SCHOOLING, YOUR FRIENDS, YOUR SEARCHES, NEVER TAUGHT YOU ABOUT, - SECRET high nutrient fruits as TRUELY listed on links on my website: www.fruitarian.org

I made the website because I wanted to find a fruitarian girlfriend sinCe I was age 17 in 1971. I am still searching at age 52. Anyone interested?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page