How long and why? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 07-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Ya know, I wish I was born vegan. Oh well, my kids will be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 07-11-2004, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been a vegetarian for 9 years now. I become one for ethical reasons, after coming across an article about factory farming involving chickens. I have no desire to be vegan, I was a vegan for a year of the 9 years. I did that for a year and went back to being vegetarian. I like dairy products and it's a lot easier to eat out. Being a vegan makes it almost impossible to go eat anywhere because you don't know what all the ingredients are, there could be whey in the bun! Vegetarianism is something I can live with and lessons a lot of animal suffering. I am comfortable with it...
#33 Old 07-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd played around with vegetarianism off and on before I switched over completely, but I made the switch to vegan in late July 2003. I went back to lacto-ovo over Christmas vacation, but haven't looked back since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 07-11-2004, 06:52 PM

Lacto-ovo (only organic and free-range) for almost 6 years.

BlackDog
#35 Old 07-11-2004, 06:56 PM

vegetarian since this April. For environmental and health reasons.
#36 Old 07-11-2004, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

woke up one morning told my wife that I was going vegan. I do not like to see anything harmed. Especially me, with all the crap I was loading inside my body! At first I think she thought it was a phase. heh She started back being a vegetarian, a few weeks later became vegan too.
#37 Old 07-11-2004, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarian since 1998

"Vegan" since 1999 (I think - it was a gradual process)

I'm not one to read labels, though, so I try not to use the vegan label too much, out of respect for those who are more vigilant than I am. I don't wear leather, eat honey, meat, milk, eggs, etc - but I know I get some miniscule amounts of hard-to-pronounce animal derived products in things from time to time....

I was very strict for awhile, and it made my life feel like such a hassle - eating out quit being fun, and I began feeling resentment toward everything and everyone.

It was either change, quit, or resign myself to feeling anxiety all the time....I'm much happier now that I've relaxed a bit, and only a teeny tiny fraction less "pure" than I was before.
#38 Old 07-11-2004, 07:43 PM

Veg since '94, (mostly) vegan for about 2 years - still battling the cheese thing.

I didn't really know anything about animal treatment when I first went veg, but heard a lot about the relationship between world hunger and meat production. I felt very hypocritical eating meat and campaigning for/working in Africa.

Later, I began eliminating dairy for health reasons (sinuses) and started hearing more about the animal side of the issue.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#39 Old 07-11-2004, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

vegetarian for 9 years, starting when I was 15. I've gone back and forth with the whole vegan thing for the whole time, switching to free range milk and eggs, and then back to vegan, etc. I have totally re veganized since march of this year.

I don't know what really led up to my going veg. I just remember sitting around the house watching tv one day, and it kind of hit me all of a sudden that eating dead bodies is gross. I went vegetarian in that moment and never went back.
#40 Old 07-11-2004, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I've only been veg for about 5 months and I am loving it. It was a pretty sudden transition from omni to veg for me, after I did some research for an anthropology of food class on vegetarian diet and culture. I am slowly phasing out dairy and other animal products and I am now down to just ingredients in things (eggs in pasta or bread etc). I did eat a bagel with cream cheese yesterday, bc I was craving one so bad, but after 2 bites I was like, Ewww! I finished it bc I didn't want it to go to waste, but I felt so gross afterwards. Hopefully that will kill much of the cravings I still get for cheese... Anyhoo... Yeah.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#41 Old 07-11-2004, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

<---------vegan since 4/20/02

Environmental/health/animals
#42 Old 07-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

*First time in '89 for 4 years.

--For the animals. Fell off the wagon due to lack of things to eat and a boyfriend that was omni. As soon as I started to eat meat, I felt terrible. Couldn't digest the stuff very well.

*Second time in '96 for 1 year

--Convinced the boyfriend to try it. We both failed. I didn't know how to cook, really.

*Third time (currently) since 2002, for 2 years

--For the animals and to avoid eating "disgusting meat" [Boyfriend, now husband, read Fast Food Nation.] I'd been wanting to go back to Veg since the last time we failed, and now we're sticking with it. It's great, now that I know how to cook. I'm never eating meat again. Yuck.
#43 Old 07-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Veg since June '99. Just over five years now.

I couldn't stand eating animals.
#44 Old 07-14-2004, 12:40 AM
Beginner

i became a pescetarian at 15, but that was triggered by my ED. (i thought meat=fat)

anyways, i became vegan in 2003, after i walked past a seafood restaurant that had a dead fish as its window display. i swear, it had very sad eyes. seriously. i commented to my then bf that it looked sad, asked what fish it was and horror of horrors - it was a salmon. and i'd just had salmon sashimi before that (and i used to have it a lot). i just felt really bad after that, and that fish just would not get out of my head after that. it just kept haunting me. i realised then how unnecessary it was to kill another being for food. i read up on veg*n on the net and decided to go vegan.

some time after that, i started reading my mum's books on buddhism. (i've always been buddhist but never really bothered with any literature about it) it just reinforced my determination to be vegan (the books did not preach veganism, but encouraged non-violence and vegetarianism)

i must say, that i am vegan to the best of my abilities. i say this because, sometimes when i am out with friends, i don't want to make a scene. for example, when we go to a sandwich place, i'll get a veg sandwich though i know milk is used in making bread. (i do not live in a country where vegan bread is sold because veg*n is not too common here)

but i do try my best.
#45 Old 07-14-2004, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I went vegetarian overnight last June - like many have said, for the animals. Actually, I had considered it about a year earlier, but for some reason didn't stick with it. I suppose I didn't know the entire reason WHY I was going veg. One thing that really tipped me back to it was "Finding Nemo" (I know, weird, huh?) That whole scene with the tuna in the net... I don't know if they meant it to work on so many levels, but it really made me think about the terror and pain animals in life have to go through just to be someone's meal. When I got home, I went right out to the barn with my horses, and I thought about how I could never even IMAGINE placing them in the situation of pain and suffering that animals destined for slaughter are in... I couldn't bear to hurt them... so why was I continuing to harm other animals? I again got PETA's veg starter kit, and overnight, a new veg was "born". LOL.

Now, I'm an ovo-vegetarian, but am going vegan. I cut out dairy about six months ago or something. And I feel WONDERFUL about it!

-Emily
#46 Old 07-14-2004, 09:24 AM

i became a veg in 1996, when i was 11, almost 8 years on and i've never lapsed. i don't remeber what changed my mind, only one member of my family is veg, the rest are adamant meat eaters, still enjoying their sunday roast.
#47 Old 09-05-2004, 10:44 PM
Beginner

I have been a vegetarian since mid July of this year. I don't drink milk or eat eggs or cheese, but I do eat honey. Some vegetarian products I buy have cheese, but it says without animal enzymes or rennet. I'm trying to watch out for hidden animal products, but it's hard. An online friend I had been talking to for a year or more is and has been a vegetarian for 30 years and I was asking her a couple questions about it. I watched some videos on PETA and they made me really sad. I cried after I saw a couple of them. Now I just think it's really disgusting to think that you're eating a dead animal when you eat meat. I didn't even think about it like that before and now that I do, I wish I would have made the choice to be a vegetarian a long time ago.
#48 Old 09-05-2004, 11:00 PM

this question gets asked at least once or twice a week.... SEARCH BUTTON search BUTTON !
#49 Old 09-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarian since June 2003.

About six months of that time I was vegan. Recently went back to lacto-ovo (only organic, free range, rennet-free, etc) to ensure B-12 as I am raising my son and any future kids veg (I am paranoid about the absorption issue).

Went vegetarian for animal welfare reasons, mainly as a result of reading/viewing information about factory farms. Since then I have learned about the many health/environmental benefits and these are solidifying my decision. It helps that my husband went veg shortly after I did.

Plan to be a vegetarian for life and raise all my children to be loving and compassionate toward all creatures!
#50 Old 09-07-2004, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular

i've been veggie since jan 2000. i transitioned to veg starting in august of 1999. that's when i decided to start seriously researching veg nutrition and the like. i would only eat meat when out to dinner--and even then i usually ordered the vegetarian option. If i was at someone's house for dinner (my parents, my DH's parents), then i would eat whatever was served.

I was ok with this arrangement, though i really wanted to become vegetarian. IN january, i was at my in laws, i ate meat, and i got sick. i haven't eaten meat since.

my main impetus for becoming vegetarian was based in my thoughts and feelings toward animals. Prior to becoming vegetarian, i held these thoughts and feelings, but i didn't think that it was possible to be a healthy vegetarian. After doing the aug-jan research, and eating once a month, i found that one could be healthy as a vegetarian. I wanted to experiment, and eventually became vegan in March of 2000.

as of 6 months ago or so, i became ovo-vegetarian in order to maintain a healthy, supplement-free, whole foods diet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page