• 2 Post By Windigo
  • 1 Post By Lunearia
  • 2 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By glutenfreeveganpantry
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 03-10-2015, 08:56 PM

Meat-Cravings

I've been a Lacto-Ovo vegetarian for about 8+ years now, since I was 12. Before that, I was an avid meat-eater; lived off the stuff and wouldn't even touch a broccoli leaf let alone a whole vegetable. Anyway I went Vegetarian after going to a Slaughterhouse and finally seeing what my selfish desires meant for other living creatures.

The first 6 months were hard. Learning to actually eat vegetables and live off of them for the first time. Anyway I made it through that and kept it up. Since then, I've occasionally had meat-cravings that last for months and try to control with meat substitutes such as Quorn etc.

Lately I've been having meat-cravings that can't be satisfied with the substitutes. I want all the meats I used to have; hot dogs, burgers, ham, chicken nuggets, battered fish, shrimp etc. etc. Thinking about them has been screwing me up too, one second the thought has me salivating and the next I'm disgusted with myself and the idea.

My resolve is slipping. I have arguments with myself about whether I should return to meat or stay the course and I find myself with less and less reasons to hold fast. Whether or not I eat meat is insignificant compared to global meat consumption, it'd make no difference whatsoever. Why should I torture myself and restrict my diet when everything's going to die anyway? These animals were bred to be eaten, the fact that most of them even had lives was because they grown for it. A couple times recently, the only thing holding me back was my record - 8 years unbroken and I am loath to break it now.
Why am I asking for help if I seem to have no reason to hold me back? I ask for help because when I go and stand in the meat section of a super-store; I'm appalled. You can smell it, all the dead flesh from animals killed simply for the way they taste. When I stand there, I couldn't imagine myself eating them and yet when I leave and smell the bacon from someone's sandwich I can almost taste it myself and want it.

TL; DR
Any tips on how to fight the meat cravings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-10-2015, 09:23 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Hello and welcome to VB

Umm if you need to be horrifically shocked in order to stay veggie then perhaps another trip to a slaughterhouse is due..? Or what about watching a documentary like Earthlings or If slaughterhouses had glass walls?

Your choice does matter as well as the choice of every vegan and vegetarian on this planet as together we are reducing the demand for animal products. Being a vegetarian you ARE saving lives.

Knowing all you know why would you want to start investing into slavery and murder again...? just for the sake of taste...?

Physically you don't need it at all so it's a purely psychological dilemma which you can easily work on.

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#3 Old 03-10-2015, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe you need to read some arguments in favour of vegetarianism to stay vegetarian. If you have Facebook, check Vegan Sidekick's page. They do comics that counter meat eaters' arguments, and they're amusing too.

"Whether or not I eat meat is insignificant compared to global meat consumption, it'd make no difference whatsoever." - It does make a difference. If even one person stops eating meat there is less demand for it which means less animals killed. Remember, you're not just one person. You're one of the million of vegetarians in the world and together everyone makes a difference.

"Why should I torture myself and restrict my diet when everything's going to die anyway?" - Wouldn't you rather that an animal dies of old age rather than being murdered? And think about your "torture". Your "torture" is nothing compared to the torture the animals go through. Cravings come and go.

"These animals were bred to be eaten, the fact that most of them even had lives was because they grown for it" - Doesn't make it OK. They had lives, but what kind of lives thanks to people eating meat? Miserable lives. I think that if those animals had a choice, they would rather just not be born at all than be born for the miserable life they are. Not to mention the fact that these lives are created through rape.
David3 likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 03-10-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-10-2015, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's one of their comics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	552.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	7490  
Naturebound and David3 like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#5 Old 03-11-2015, 02:24 AM
Veggie Regular

You could also be stuck in a rut as far as what kinds of foods you eat and getting bored with them. If you are living on substitutes for things you liked before you are not going to be satisfied. If you branch out and try new plant foods and ways to prepare them and cook you may find you are much more enthusiastic about eating plant food. For example, did you know you can make a rich creamy "cheese" sauce by blending steamed or baked sweet potato, nutritional yeast, tofu, and plant milk or water? I make this and pour it over macaroni or baked potatoes and broccoli. There are also a million different ways to work with tempeh, vital wheat gluten, tofu, beans, and nuts to experiment and appreciate different textures and so on. Try making your own nut butter or plant milks. Try making some bean dips or look into various ethnic dishes and experiment with making those. I love Mexican food, and Middle Eastern style. Falafel is awesome!

Vegetarian/veganism should never be restrictive and miserable and should never feel torturous. Instead of focusing on what you think you are missing, focus on all the positives. You are helping the environment, creating less demand for slaughtered and exploited animals, and helping your own health by avoiding the saturated fat/cholesterol, hormones, and carcinogens that are in most meat. The waste and pollution created from animal farming is insane, and more food has to be grown to feed those farm animals than the food needed to be grown for humans, adding to the cost of animal food. Each and every one of us does make a difference. Twenty years ago you would not find the vast variety of plant milks and other plant products you see now, never mind the tons of vegan and vegetarian cookbooks out there and stocking library shelves. Try revisiting some of those cookbooks and find some new recipes. Chances are you will find some foods you really like and that takes away from the perceived cravings you have for meat.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 03-11-2015, 03:04 AM
The prowling wolf

Maybe what you really crave is salty, fatty foods?

I don't know your diet ofcourse, but maybe it helps you to have some really nice greasy veggie burgers with fries and mayo and all the trimmings when you have such a craving. Try to make it as grotesque as your imagination goes; anything deep fried and salty usually takes my mind off any kind of meat.

If you eat cheese, fried mozzarella balls with a great marinara sauce are also an amazing snack food that has kept me away from fried chicken many times; it's crunchy and greasy and salty and spicy; just perfect.

Don't try to be too health concious, at times it's good to indulge. It will help cull cravings.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#7 Old 03-11-2015, 03:58 AM

Some years ago just around the corner of my veg*nniversary I started having those cravings too. And I used to be certain I would never, EVER be able to think about meat without getting disgusted. I got scared of myself and my thoughts.

What I did was I made myself feel as guilty and bad as possible. I can't recommend it (because seriously, who wants to be sad), but it did work for me. I broke out the good ol' documentaries, slaughterhouse videos and such. The things that made me go veg in the first place. Also if you just crave the hamburgers and such, maybe find some fatty sugary veg*n "treats"!

Also what keeps me going is that I'm making a difference. A small difference maybe, but I'm not alone. It makes me feel happy and good to feel like there is a tiny bit less suffering in the world because of me and my s.o. not buying animal products.

+1 Naturebound, really great points there.
MozIsMyShepherd likes this.
#8 Old 03-11-2015, 09:35 AM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Otto,

You might enjoy this video trip way back to 1982, when William Shatner (Star Trek's Captain Kirk) used to advocate vegetarianism:

Not many years after he made this video, Mr. Shatner stopped being a vegetarian. He then became hugely overweight. Here is a video of him talking about grilling turkeys and pork shoulder:
LedBoots and MozIsMyShepherd like this.

Last edited by David3; 03-11-2015 at 11:03 AM.
#9 Old 03-11-2015, 09:40 AM
Vegan since 1991

I'm with Windigo. When I want something crispy and greasy, I don't hesitate to get a plate of French fries at my local charburger restaurant. You can have then fry you up an avocado and tomato sandwich with mustard, too. I've found that any of the "charburger" or "greasy spoon" restaurants (the independent places with signs that say "Steaks - Burritos - Gyros") are happy to make me any kind of sandwich I want.

Last edited by David3; 03-11-2015 at 09:50 AM.
#10 Old 03-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
Maybe what you really crave is salty, fatty foods?
I know that when we are having cravings, it's often for salty fatty foods and definitely not the meat is used to serve the fat and salt. I think we tried organic gluten free "Tostitos" style chips and dipped them into salsa and guacamole - fatty, salty and delicious.
Windigo and David3 like this.

Check out my food blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 03-11-2015, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Weston View Post
Anyway I went Vegetarian after going to a Slaughterhouse and finally seeing what my selfish desires meant for other living creatures.

These animals were bred to be eaten, the fact that most of them even had lives was because they grown for it.
Why am I asking for help if I seem to have no reason to hold me back? I ask for help because when I go and stand in the meat section of a super-store; I'm appalled. You can smell it, all the dead flesh from animals killed simply for the way they taste. When I stand there, I couldn't imagine myself eating them
TL; DR
Any tips on how to fight the meat cravings?
You've given some very good tips yourself.

It's insanity for humans to continue eating animals. We have no good reasons to eat flesh. None. None of the reputable research will say there are things about flesh that people need. Plant based diets not only provide us with all our required nutrition, but it's also more environmentally, and economically better. In other words, and words i don't say to meat eaters unless provoked, meat IS murder.

You only have charge of your own life, to decide whether you live according to what you feel is right or wrong, helpful or harmful. If you feel in your heart that people should all be judged by their character, would you go along with bigotry if you would profit by that? If you knew you neighbor was easily confused and you needed money would you trick her out out money? If you say of course not, that would be wrong, I ask you what difference would it make when so many others benefit from actions just like them?

I wonder if your food cravings are based on something other than food.
I think it is a good idea to ask if you've had things like your iron levels checked, or other medical things. Has your diet been good as a vegetarian?

Your reference to feeling sickened by the smells only to have craving hit sometimes reminds me of quitting cigarettes. It took me so many times to get over caving in, if I didn't continue to remind myself of how much I needed to stay off them I'd still be a smoker today. I'm so grateful I stayed away all the times I wanted just one.

How varied is your diet? Are you U.K., U.S. or other?
Naturebound likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page