A question about "Natural Flavor" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-30-2004, 05:03 PM

I've become an avid label reader lately; I'm always on the lookout for animal products in my foods. Now, I just got back from the Natural Food Store, and I bought a few things that I wanted to try. There were no obvious animal products, but that "Natural Flavor" thing kept coming up.

I don't really know what an Unnatural Flavor is, outside of the realm of children's candy, but I'm assuming that natural flavor is a euphemism for animal flavor. Is this always the case, or just sometimes?

Also, if there are any other ingredient names camoflaging animal products that I should know about (common ones, I'm new), please cast your pearls here. You shall not be casting them before swine, because I am not what I do not eat.

Thanks.

The Rev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-30-2004, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

It depends on the product. Some natural flavours are animal based, some are plant based. You have to contact the manufacturer to find out which it is in the thing you're gonna eat.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 06-30-2004, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

it could be anything, any animal parts, unless otherwise stated. This is why I stick with basics. vegetables, whole grains, fruits etc... If I want more I go to the local co-op and look for vegan on the package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-01-2004, 08:50 AM

I usually call the company when the term "natural flavor" comes up.
#5 Old 07-01-2004, 09:08 AM

Natural flavor doesn't necessarily mean animal (although it could), it just means that it's not synthetic.

link re animal ingredients:

http://www.caringconsumer.com/ingredientslist.html

common ones I encounter = carmine/cochineal (coloring), whey (in baked goods) and Vitamin D3

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 07-01-2004, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

many times natural flavor means msg. but again you have to call the folks. what's the products?
#7 Old 07-01-2004, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

i saw a tv show while back, and they were talking about natural favours. i don't remember most of it but they said that natural fravour in stawberry yogurn is some kind of fungi

so i doubt that the natural favours they use are made out of animals .....
#8 Old 07-18-2004, 03:16 PM

I've read that Natural Flavorings are propriatory products compounded by some company whose name I can't remember, in the Eastern USA. The mixtures and ingredients are closely guarded and could be anything.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but I'm generally suspicious of them.
#9 Old 06-21-2005, 10:25 AM

Hi

I realize I am responding to a thread that's about a year old. I have been scouring the web looking for more information on these so called "natural flavors". If you care about this issue you must read the book Fast Food Nation. Chapter 5 describes these substances in great detail, why they're used, who makes them, what's in them, and how they differ very little from "artificial" flavors. Someone in the thread mentions a common one called carmine, which is used for coloring. This is in the book too. It's made out of bugs. No kidding. The FDA places absolutely no restriction on the use of the terms natural flavor and artificial flavor and they can contain dozens of chemicals derived from many sources including animals. The world is getting scarier all the time. Hope you're still into labels.
#10 Old 06-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, when I saw this thread I was going to bring up Fast Food Nation as well.

It's amazing how many foods "natural flavor" is in. I highly doubt that it has anything to do with it being animal derived, as I've seen natural flavor in anything from Silk to crackers to pretty much any and all organic vegan packaged food.

Basically, when you eat "natural flavor" you are eating the same flavor chemicals as when you eat "artificial flavor" - only those chemicals are derived from a natural food source. For instance, artificial banana flavor is made from mixing chemicals together, and natural banana flavor is derived from a banana - but in the end you have two test tubes with two identical chemical compounds.

I've tried to avoid "natural flavor" since reading about that, but it's nearly impossible unless you avoid packaged food altogether.
#11 Old 06-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

i avoid things that say natural flavors because it often means MSG. MSG is a neurotoxin, and besides, it gives me headaches.
#12 Old 06-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

>>MSG is a neurotoxin>>

Do you have any references for this?

Natural flavor: purified chemicals derived via extraction from natural sources.

Artificial flavor: purified chemicals derived via synthesis from natural precursors.

Functionally, there is not much of a difference. As others have said, these may or may not be animal in their origin.

ebola
#13 Old 06-21-2005, 10:38 PM

I read that PETA's co-founder in her latest book said that natural ingredients could be "blood". Now MSG is called Yeast Extract. Nice huh.

Also did you know that the french fries at McDonalds may contain beef? I read that in Fast Food Nation. (What an amazing book).

Watch out for Carmine, a ground up beetle used to make juices, candies, yogurt (though not soy yogurt), and other things (even health food items), red.

Yuck.

I posted this before reading the post, I noticed that Fast Food Nation and Carmine were already mentioned. Great minds think a like!
#14 Old 06-22-2005, 09:20 AM

So glad to see so many people into Fast Food Nation. I think it's one of the most important books of our time. I really encourage anyone serious about healthy eating to read it. Not sure who coined this phrase but I've seen it in lots of places now: Food is the new tobacco.
#15 Old 06-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbin87 View Post

So glad to see so many people into Fast Food Nation. I think it's one of the most important books of our time. I really encourage anyone serious about healthy eating to read it. Not sure who coined this phrase but I've seen it in lots of places now: Food is the new tobacco.

Funny that we're discussing Fast Food Nation. I just put it down to visit VB and clear my head a bit. Finished the flavor chapter about an hour ago and started on the ranching/meatpacking/slaughterhouse chapters. I had to put it down and walk away for a bit. I could only take so much disturbing info in one sitting!

But I agree, this book is very important. The bad thing is that people who don't want to know, or don't think there's a problem, won't read it. So, those who consume the most fast food would probably be the least likely to read. I was pointing out some things in it to my coworker, and she was like, "no more!" The openminded of us probably already knew that fast food has some serious flaws, and reading FFN simply confirmed it. I don't know. Just my 2 cents on that.

The whole natural flavors thing has me concerned, too. It seems... so wrong that we don't know the real ingredients of over half of the things we put in our mouths. Makes me want to give up all prosessed things, but like another poster said, that's nearly impossible.
#16 Old 06-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

ebola:

yes, i do have sources.
#17 Old 06-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Ummm...may I see them?

I'm not arguing that you're wrong; I'm just interested myself.
#18 Old 06-23-2005, 08:58 AM

I would also be very interested in any source material on this subject.
#19 Old 06-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

do an internet search on MSG as neurotoxin. you may find a number of interesting studies. the ones that i have are linked through westonaprice.org. you're welcome to start there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page