Nuts and pumpkin seeds - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-29-2004, 10:29 AM

Hello all,

I have heard that pumpkin seeds are good for Omega 3s. Anyone know what dishes they go well with or are they OK to eat raw?

Also - which are the best nuts to buy for protein etc. I have hard almonds and wallnuts are pretty nutritious?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-29-2004, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure about the omega 3's in pumpkin seeds but I like them best toasted. I usually do this when we do jack-o-lanterns. Rinse seeds completely and then dry. Spread in a flat layer on a cookie sheet and spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle with seasoning (I just use salt) and bake at around 200 until crunchy. This takes awhile, but they are a delicious snackin food!
#3 Old 06-29-2004, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't help you with nuts, but yes, pumpkin seeds are good for you. (Not so sure about omega 3's, but they've got tons of calcium and iron too!) You can definitely eat them raw or in salads, among other things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-29-2004, 10:44 AM

pumpkin seeds are a great source of zinc..

you could try pulverizing them into a pumpkin seed butter, I suppose. I just eat them raw.
#5 Old 06-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

my book says pumpkin seeds have omega-3 in them, but you might want to double check that to make sure. Actually when I'm done this post I'll google it and report on what I find.

I buy my pumpkin seeds in bulk so they're nice and cheap, I like the roasted kind. Dunno if you can eat them raw. I imagine you could springle them into your salads, same as you would with sesame seeds or slivered almonds.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#6 Old 06-29-2004, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay I did a search and pumpkin seeds are in fact a source of Omega-3.

This link has some comparison charts for omega-3's and omega-6 fats found in different oils, nuts and seeds. It's from a dieting type page, I know, but if you google pumpkin seeds + omega-3, loads of other links are there too, it looks like some of them have recipies.

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#7 Old 06-29-2004, 11:29 PM
Veggie Regular

like veganati said, pumpkin seeds have zinc. that's my main reason for eating them when i do.

walnuts are good for omega-3, and i eat them for that reason even though i hate them. i doubt they're the greatest nut for overall nutrient content, and i don't think they have too much protein, mostly fat.
#8 Old 06-29-2004, 11:50 PM
Banned

I don't know about the omega3, but pumpkin seeds are great when you cover them w/ peanut oil and salt and bake them for a couple of hours on low heat. Great around fall.
#9 Old 06-30-2004, 04:19 AM
Veggie Regular

i dont know if pumpkin seeds have omega 3's but i eat them raw as a snack and they haven't killed me yet! LOL!

walnuts are a good source of omega 3's. if you go to the frugal forum you'll see a free walnut recipe book you can order (although not all the recipes are veg.)

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#10 Old 06-30-2004, 07:18 AM

what I do for omega 3's is grind up some flax seeds and sprinkle them on my salad or whatever else I'm eating.
#11 Old 07-01-2004, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the replies, all.

Any more info on which nuts are good?

I have some almonds, but which others are the most nutritious for veggies?
#12 Old 07-01-2004, 11:20 AM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I have heard that pumpkin seeds are good for Omega 3s.

Nope, pumpkin seeds are NOT a good source of omega-3. According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, pumpkin seeds are:

20.702 % omega-6

0.181 % omega-3

They are a good source of omega-6 but most people in the US consume too much omega-6 . Vegetarians and vegans consumption of omega-6 is especially high. Consuming too much omega-6 isn't good because it interferes with the convertion of LNA (the form of omega-3 most commonly found in foods) to DHA and EPA in the body.

Flaxseeds are an especially good source of omega-3. Common walnuts and hempseeds are good sources.
#13 Old 07-02-2004, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo View Post

Nope, pumpkin seeds are NOT a good source of omega-3.

Noooo!! *covers ears and sings loudly*

#14 Old 07-03-2004, 07:53 AM
Beginner

I can't help you with the pumpkin seeds, but as far as nuts go most of them are a good source of protein. also peanut butter! yumm! i love salted peanuts though and cashews.
#15 Old 07-03-2004, 09:44 AM
Banned

Flax seeds and oil are a good source of omega3, and flax has been shown to help keep weight regulated.
#16 Old 07-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

The thing to keep in mind is ratios, ideally somewhere between 1:2 and 1:4 (n-3:n-6), which brings to mind canola oil, walnuts, and hempseed oil.

http://home.pacbell.net/epski/vegan/...ition/640S.pdf (see Table 1)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page