Vegan Hair Thinning? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-28-2004, 01:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I have been vegan for a number of months now (veggie for a couple years) and just recently started to notice a lot of my hair falling out. More than usual. Now, I have had this problem before because of my lack of hair-cutting, but it's not that this time because I recently had a haircut. Now, I eat about 55 grams of protein a day, so I don't think that lack of protein is the problem. However, I heard that animal protein has a different amino acid chain than soy. So, anyway, I don't really think anything else could be the problem. I get lots of B and B12 and plently of iron, zinc and calcium. It's not my shampoo. Does anyone know of a way to get the same animal amino acids from non-animal sources? If that makes sense. Because I am getting pretty scared over here. Really. I adore my vegan diet and refuse to change it, but I need my hair.

Thanks!

Kel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-28-2004, 02:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't see how exessive hair loss could be from being vegan but it could be diet related. I think you would have to have an extreme vitamin deficency for a long time to cause hair loss. This could be a symptom of many serious problems. I would advise you first see a regular doctor and then a dietitian.

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#3 Old 06-28-2004, 02:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, it isn't "serious" hair loss. It falls out MORE, but not so much that it could be serious. My hair is naturally thick, so maybe this thinning is normal and Iv'e blown it out of proportion. It is dry and stringy lately and falling out more than it usually does (which was always a lot). I don't know, I thought maybe it was my diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-28-2004, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I won't worry about it anymore. It's not a lot of hair loss, just more than I am used to.
#5 Old 06-28-2004, 02:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't want to give off the impression that I'm balding over here. I just want it to be thick like it always has been.
#6 Old 06-28-2004, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Perhaps this is psychological or has to do with my own hair-obsessions lol.
#7 Old 06-28-2004, 04:55 AM
Veggie Regular

This suggests it could be due to iron deficiency:

http://www.vegsource.com/articles/harris_hair_loss.htm
#8 Old 06-28-2004, 04:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Does your diet contain plenty of olive oil, nuts and legumes?

http://vegweb.com/articles/anai-1045954794.shtml
#9 Old 06-28-2004, 05:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been recently tested for thyroid problems, still waiting on the results. I've been reading about it and hair loss is a symptom. Thyroid disorders and thyroid cancer can kill you and it affects every cell in your body. Not that I'm trying to say thats whats up with you but I'm trying to reinforce that this could be really serious even if it's minimal.

Please see a doctor!

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#10 Old 06-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Banned

I`d freak out if that would happen to me!!! I think my hair is my best asset and Im damn proud of it!!!

Do you take any supplements?

Fitnesstiger
#11 Old 06-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountessKerouac View Post

Does anyone know of a way to get the same animal amino acids from non-animal sources?

Eat in the same meal:

legumes + WHOLE grains

or

legumes + seeds

Try eating flax as well.

Go to a dermatologist and get blood work done NOW.

Steve

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#12 Old 06-28-2004, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

If you have reduced your fat intake that will cause it too. makes your hair dry and brittle. this happened to me. i consulted my natural health book and followed thier advice and now it hardly ever falls out. take olive oil and rub it in your scalp and on your ends. put a shower cap on and let it stay over night and then wash out as normal the next morning. do it a couple of times a week for about a month then as needed after that. made a world of difference for me.
#13 Old 06-28-2004, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I also think that it would be good to make sure that you are getting adequate fat intake. What about overall calories? Are you getting enough?
#14 Old 06-28-2004, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Yea, I shed a lot too, but I always have...

It sucks but my hair isn't noticably thinning, it's just gross that so much comes out.
#15 Old 06-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I lost alot of my hair after my daughter was born. they told me it was normal but it kinda never stopped sence but when i did one of those stupid diets i lost more and it was cuz i reduced my fat intake alot. like almost nothing. everyone needs a certain amount of fat. your body needs it. but i took it too far and really had no fat or calories. now im alot healthier and hardly loose as much hair. i get enough fat without over or under doing it and lots of good calories and carbs and im in the best shape of my life.
#16 Old 06-28-2004, 09:45 PM

Biotin also plays a big part in hair health, but it's a widely available nutrient, so a biotin deficiency seems unlikely.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#17 Old 06-28-2004, 10:05 PM

the first thing you want to check is your shampoo.. does it have sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate in it? many of the cruelty-free shampoos even have these ingredients. These are known to cause hair loss. Two of my friends and I were all able to stop our hair loss by changing shampoos.

The only two brands of shampoo that I know of without SLS are JASON shampoos and Aubrey Organics (both available at HFS's).

You might want to avoid SLS in other products too, like toothpaste. Using the right shampoo is VERY important.

I also brush my hair with Jojoba oil (good for scalp health), but it is probably not necessary for you.

Good luck!
#18 Old 06-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Biotin also plays a big part in hair health, but it's a widely available nutrient, so a biotin deficiency seems unlikely.

What kinds of food has Biotin?? Just curious 'cause my hair is down to my ass and is not as thick as it used to be.
#19 Old 06-28-2004, 10:10 PM

Veganati - do you have any good info about SLS in shampoos? From what I read, the jury's still out on the negative effects. I swear I read something conflicting every other week.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#20 Old 06-28-2004, 10:24 PM

I don't know of any research on the subject. The jury may be out, but I have the "anecdotal evidence" of myself and 2 friends. My one friend was losing hair in clumps, and she changed her shampoo and it completely stopped.
#21 Old 06-29-2004, 02:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Veganati - do you have any good info about SLS in shampoos? From what I read, the jury's still out on the negative effects. I swear I read something conflicting every other week.

Here's a little piece on SLS, may be bias though:

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/about...es/shampoo.cfm
#22 Old 06-29-2004, 04:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow.

Did you see the prices on some of their shampoos ??!!

Steve

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#23 Old 06-29-2004, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

My hair isnt noticably thinner, just dryer and it sheds a lot. Please dont worry! lol
#24 Old 06-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I hardly eat any fat. I think that is the problem. I have fat-phobia! lol So, I went out today and bought lots of flax seed waffles! lol. I hope it helps! Also, I eat lots of soy and that has been known to cause thyroid disfunctions, so I will cut down on the soy for now. Thanks! I also will increase my iron.
#25 Old 06-30-2004, 11:56 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganati View Post

the first thing you want to check is your shampoo.. does it have sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate in it? many of the cruelty-free shampoos even have these ingredients. These are known to cause hair loss. Two of my friends and I were all able to stop our hair loss by changing shampoos.

The only two brands of shampoo that I know of without SLS are JASON shampoos and Aubrey Organics (both available at HFS's).

You might want to avoid SLS in other products too, like toothpaste. Using the right shampoo is VERY important.

I also brush my hair with Jojoba oil (good for scalp health), but it is probably not necessary for you.

Good luck!

I wanted to buy a Jason shampoo once but yes there was SLS in it.. :/ Ginesis' shampoo is supposed to be good..www.ginesis.com

"Ginesis natural products address these PROBLEMS:

o HAIR LOSS

o ITCHY SCALP

o DANDRUFF

o OILY or DRY SCALP

o HAIR DISCOLORATION "

Their shampoo does not contain any animal products but the conditioner contains kaolin.
#26 Old 06-30-2004, 12:06 PM
Banned

Man,

I used to have the thickest hair. My hair started falling out in January. It's so thin on top now. I really hope now that I've gone veggie that it starts growing back. I really hope it doesn't fall out anymore!
#27 Old 06-30-2004, 12:39 PM

Incomplete,

If they had sodium lauryl sulfate before, apparently they don't have it anymore..

"JASON Natural Products, unlike many products on the market today which claim to be natural, are devoid of mineral oils, petrolatum, drying alcohols, PABA, isopropyl palmitate, laurel/laureth sulfates, aluminum chlorohydrates, pore-clogging ingredients and other known irritants and environmentally hazardous materials, artificial colors and animal by-products. They are biodegradable and packaged in recycled and/or recyclable containers."

http://www.jason-natural.com/html/welcome.html
#28 Old 06-30-2004, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Well, it isn't "serious" hair loss. It falls out MORE, but not so much that it could be serious. My hair is naturally thick, so maybe this thinning is normal and Iv'e blown it out of proportion. It is dry and stringy lately and falling out more than it usually does (which was always a lot). I don't know, I thought maybe it was my diet.

As a long-haired man, I can tell you that hair loss is a normal part of the process of hair growth. Every hair on your head goes through a life cycle of growth, stable length, then death (where it falls out). How long your hair can grow depends on how long this cycle is. The thing is, it isn't always uniform growth and loss, so sometimes you will lose more hair, and sometimes less. Since your hair is thick, I suspect you are just at a stage where you're losing more. No worries, it just means more will grow later.

Also, and this is just a theory of mine, but since it is beginning to warm up, and many animals lose more hair (or fur) around this time of the year, maybe your hair is reacting like theirs and falling out more now that the weather is getting hot (not so great a need to retain head heat).

The Rev
#29 Old 06-30-2004, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I went out today and bought more flax seed cereal and also bought a different shampoo and conditioner which are both organic and the ingredients are all natural.
#30 Old 06-30-2004, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I hardly eat any fat. I think that is the problem. I have fat-phobia! lol So, I went out today and bought lots of flax seed waffles! lol. I hope it helps! Also, I eat lots of soy and that has been known to cause thyroid disfunctions, so I will cut down on the soy for now. Thanks! I also will increase my iron.

you are supposed to get 60 grams of fat a day to be healthy

when i first became vegan i lost quite a bit of hair..it has stopped falling out now because i realized i wasnt eating anywhere near enough..i literally had to eat about 3 times more than i thought i did

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page