vegan pregnancy ???? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-23-2004, 06:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm trying to get pregnant and am now vegan (6 months). My first pregnancy I was an ovo-lacto veggie. So, now I'm just a little concerned about getting everything I'll need when I do become pregnant. I do not want to go back to eating dairy and won't. Also I really hate tofu HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2004, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't worry. You'll be fine. I puked up almost everything I ate while I was pregnant and my baby was healthy.
#3 Old 06-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

You might want to check out Pregnancy, Children, and the Vegan Diet by Michael Klaper. Also, Becoming Vegan has a good section on pregnancy and The Vegetarian Female has lots of useful pregnancy information, and despite the title is written from a vegan perspective (the author addresses this in the introduction).

Don't worry too much, just take a prenatal vitamin and make sure you eat a wide variety of foods (keep up with the Omega 3s and the B12, they're the most important during this time). I was like Marie, I puked up everything I ate (apples and cheese quesadillas) and my kid was fine, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-23-2004, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

Don't worry. You'll be fine. I puked up almost everything I ate while I was pregnant and my baby was healthy.

#5 Old 06-23-2004, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I am also hoping to get pregnant some time soon. My clock is ticking pretty darn fast, and I don't want to have my first kid when I'm 40.

Just make sure you're eating a wide variety, like Quizeen mentioned. Eat your nuts and seeds, and get those folic acids.

Look here:

http://www.thegardendiet.com/

She just had her 4th baby, and he seems really healthy, and she's a Raw Foodist, so no dairy or tofu there.
#6 Old 06-23-2004, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

You'll be fine, just do your own research, and don't let your doctor bully you into eating animal products. Veganism actually lowers your risk of some complications. As long as you're getting every thing you need it doesn't matter where you're getting it from.
#7 Old 06-23-2004, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I was ovo-lacto when I was pregnant (although I'm planning for another one soon, and it will be my first vegan pregnancy) and I had hyperemesis. I threw up about 20 times a day, I couldn't even keep down water, and I couldn't get out of bed for almost 4 months. Eventually I was hospitalized for dehydration. I had a perfectly healthy baby. Your baby will take everything it needs from you, so don't worry. Also vegan's the healthiest way to be, if you do it right.
#8 Old 06-23-2004, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you have unhealthy eating habits now? If yes, then I would be worried too about improving my diet. I *highly* recommend the book "Becoming Vegan." You should go out and buy a copy, as should all vegans who are not eating a healthy diet. It is the best nutrition book I have ever read.

Just so you know, even women in poverty who eat junk food all day still have healthy babies. Studies even show that the breastmilk of women on horrible diets and women on very healthy diets is nutritionally the same. It is amazing how our bodies are made to keep our newborns alive and healthy. All of your vitamins and minerals will go to baby first, this is why you should take in extra 'healthy' calories to help make sure you are getting what you need to stay healthy.
#9 Old 06-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

www.vegfamily.com has a great discussion forum for pregnant vegans and vegan parents. There's also a lot of good info and links on their site. Good luck!
#10 Old 06-24-2004, 01:02 PM

I thought pregnant women lived off saltines and water for the first 3 months anyways. If you can eat more then that, you're probably already ahead of the game
#11 Old 10-27-2004, 06:57 PM
Banned

the few times I've had to double up on my bc pills, I've been puking my guts out, so I know I'm going to be sick the whole time when I eventually get pregnant.

I have to recommend STRONGLY the very same book everyone else here has - Becoming Vegan is an EXCELLENT book. It helped me in my transition to this lifestyle in so many ways.
#12 Old 10-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

bstutzma, not necessarily true. HCG is the hormone that many people theorize causes "morning sickness'' in pregnant women, and the pill does not produce that - only pregnancy does. hope this encourages you
#13 Old 10-28-2004, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

My wife was 100% vegan for 8 years before getting pregnant, during preganancy, and now our 10.5 month old is a thriving Vegan too.

We even did it all living abroad (no tofu, no soy-meat, no money, etc). If you are curious, you can email me and I can forward it to my wife. I can tell you want she did, but it is much better to hear it from her.
#14 Old 10-29-2004, 06:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I just recently wrote two articles on vegetarian pregnancies... (vegan pregnancy came up in interviewing my expert sources). Here is the link to one of the articles:

http://sheknows.com/about/look/4562.htm

The other will be on iParenting.com within the next couple of weeks.

According to the experts I interviewed (doctor's and registered dieticians) a vegan's main cocern during pregnancy is B12. You should have no problem getting other sources of nutrition but you will have to take extra precaution to make sure that you get vitamin B12. You can get it through supplements or through food that is fortified with it (some soy products, cereals, etc.).

A good book to get: My Vegetarian Pregnancy by Dr. Holly Roberts. It's a good book and is pretty cheap on Amazon.com. I am vegetarian and just had my baby in September...that's what got me interested in writing the article...I wanted to make sure that vegetarianism was safe during pregnancy.
#15 Old 10-29-2004, 01:19 PM

Great replies.

Jennie garth had a vegan baby and said the baby was the healthiest baby around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page