My Journey Becoming a Vegetarian - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-06-2015, 10:15 AM

My Journey Becoming a Vegetarian

My Journey Becoming a Vegetarian #1

I want to be part of a revolution. I want to do something amazing for the world, i want to stand out because of something that i believe in. If getting made fun of for the idea of becoming a vegan, or vegetarian stops you, then you’re doing it all wrong. Because thats where i was… at first. I did it for all the wrong reasons. When i first decided to quit eating meat, (About 8 or 9 months ago) i began by “cutting back” which was an easy thing to do. But i still labeled myself as a “vegetarian” right from the start because i was intimidated by the idea. It was exciting to me, because i was starting a new chapter in my life. Its a very exciting thing! A few weeks later, i began to cut back on meat 100% of the time. And this lasted me… a decent month and a half. I was really proud of myself… I posted pictures on Instagram 24/7, and blogged alllllllll about it for a while; but looking back now, i had absolutely no idea what i was doing, or why. Shortly after that, I realized what i was doing was completely wrong. AND very selfish. So i began doing some research.

I do have many inspirations for becoming a vegetarian, but one that sticks out more than the others, is Essena Oneill. She too, lives a plant based lifestyle, and is all about equality, and respect, and compassion. Just as i am, only she’s sharing it with the world. She’s making a difference, and leading people to work together to make this earth cruelty free. She’s a very strong, girl for doing this on her own. She mentioned a video she watched a very long time ago, that led her to be the way that she is. Its called “Earthlings”. Its a documentary on Youtube, and yes, it is very graphic, however its exactly what the world needs. Its what i needed. And its what i watched, about 7 months ago to create the person I’ve been for most of 2014. But lets fast forward to the present. Just about 6 of these past 7 months, i haven’t even come close to meat. At all. Ive been eating strictly fruits, vegetables, grains and seeds (nuts), basically everything except for meat. Then, about the beginning of December, i accidentally ate some food during breakfast that included meat, WITHOUT KNOWING, and i was pretty upset about it at first, but after it happened i just began to care less and less about why i was so determined from the start. I had a lot going on at that point, and i kind of forgot how important this is! I am so disappointed with myself. It doesn’t matter how small the bacon pieces are, its still bacon. Thats the point. Its not that I’m missing the point, because I have my reasons for wanting this sooooo bad. But its my living situations, friends, family, and environment, that make “becoming a vegetarian” so difficult. So my biggest 2015 New Years Resolution, is to not eat one fragment of meat… ever again. And what i thought would be an amazing idea, is if i shared my journey on my blog with all of you, (considering I’m not the only one who’s had a difficult time going down this road). Another thing I’m going to be doing, is starting a youtube account, and eventually begin recording my progress, healthy eating/living, workout plans, and other daily routines of mine. I am so extremely excited, and i hope to inspire other people along the way.

(: (: (: If you want to see more posts about my journey and lifestyle, please support what I'm doing by following me on tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/earthyourselff
or on twitter: @earthyourself
or instagram: @megankriss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Good for you and good luck.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3 Old 01-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Vegan as f**k

Vive la revolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-07-2015, 03:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome earthyourself! Maybe it would be helpful for you to share more about your journey here too. We can provide a lot of support and encouragement here on VB as we have also walked the walk.

I saw some statistics not too long ago that the number one reason people seem to fall out of vegetarianism/veganism and go back to their old ways eating meat etc is lack of support from family and friends and so on, more so than cravings or health or anything else. Having a good support system helps though it is not essential. Before I went vegan I really dug deep down in myself and explored my feelings and motives etc for why I felt so strongly about becoming vegan. Keeping a journal with questions and concerns but also benefits I felt and so on helped me. I read a TON of literature about the vegan lifestyle on a philisophical/ethical level, reading books like "Animal Liberation", "Sistah Vegan", "Sexual Politics of Meat", "Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows", "Vegan Freak", "The Dominion of Love", "Animals as Persons. Essays on the Abolition of Animal Exploitation" and many more. I read the many arguments and blogs refuting veganism as well. I also carefully researched vegan health by reading books like "Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet" by registered dieticians Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina. I wanted scientifically and medically based information about how to generally meet my needs, not a designer diet complete with loads of promises about giving me the perfect body bla bla. VeganHealth and the Vegetarian Resource Group are other solid sites with general information about vegan/vegetarian health. I see often that younger people get wrapped up in a certain famous person who is vegan and want to be just like him/her and forget the reasons behind going vegan or vegetarian and instead face disappointment when things don't go as planned. A personal commitment to be a better person, to follow your convictions, and to be kinder to the world and to your body are certainly awesome and attainable goals! Having the tools to carry out this plan is even better yet! I wish you the very best in your journey. I hope you post more here. I would check out your other sites but I don't have a tumblr or instagram account. I limit myself to only a few online places as I have limited time online. I sometimes visit youtube. Best wishes and thanks for sharing!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 01-07-2015, 06:30 PM

Wow, thank you so much for sharing! You really helped me a lot, and I will definitely look into everything you mentioned. First, I would like to try and find those books you mentioned, they sound very interesting and most definitely useful. Also, I will try and post as much as i can on here, I'm new to veggie boards and have never actually done a forum before this one, so I'm still getting used to it. But ill try my hardest to keep up. Thanks again, and please keep in touch, your information was very kind and very useful!
#6 Old 01-07-2015, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthyourself View Post
Wow, thank you so much for sharing! You really helped me a lot, and I will definitely look into everything you mentioned. First, I would like to try and find those books you mentioned, they sound very interesting and most definitely useful. Also, I will try and post as much as i can on here, I'm new to veggie boards and have never actually done a forum before this one, so I'm still getting used to it. But ill try my hardest to keep up. Thanks again, and please keep in touch, your information was very kind and very useful!
Glad to be of help! Many of the books I mentioned I found very cheaply on Amazon.com. A few of them I found at my local library under the ethics section, and a few I found at a Barnes and Noble bookstore in town. I found them very helpful in my search for truth and meaning.

I know there are in person or online mentor programs out there for new vegetarians and vegans. I can't think of any right off hand but i have run accross stuff about them before. I was involved with Vegan Outreach for a while and did some leafleting and tabling for animal activism and though I did most of it on my own, they were incredibly helpful not only in providing me with hundreds of free leaflets to give out, but in talking to me on the phone for support and knowledge about the legal aspects of leafleting in public places and they encouraged me and helped me when I was nervous. Have you ever searched Meetup.com? They often have vegetarian and vegan groups that meet locally. There aren't any where I live but there are several groups about three hours south of me and I have met a few great people through those too.

I remember being new to forums and trying to figure it all out. It's ok, people here are kind and compassionate (though there are always a few that like to shake things up) so no need to worry if you make a mistake or double post or something. If something you say or do is not appropriate, moderators will usually send a personal message instead of confronting you in a public thread and they are kind about it so don't worry. It's always great to have new members here! Welcome!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 01-08-2015, 12:06 PM

Thank you!!! Im going to try and look into the "meetup.com" thing, and see what i can find. It sounds very interesting. And i actually went shopping for some books online this morning and was able to find a couple, none that you mentioned unfortunately but I still found some that will be very useful. Thank you for the advice about forums too, i am new to this whole thing so I'm not quite sure how it works yet, but its a lot of fun and everyone seems to be very nice and helpful. I posted a couple things in a couple of different places and some of them seem to have disappeared, I'm guessing maybe they got moved to a different topic or something like that -- but i don't seem to have an email either. I guess these are things ill learn with time haha

Tags
animals , equality , food , Vegan , vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in