Quick Vent - Leather Shoes! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-13-2004, 02:35 PM
Beginner

I just need to vent. The shoe thing is really getting to me. I know there are a lot of good sources for vegan shoes on the web, but I find it hard to find styles that I like and the selection is still a bit thin to me. And, I always worry about buying something like shoes online in case they don't fit right. More than that though my biggest frustration is that SOOO many shoes are made with leather. It just drives me crazy! I really hope that the shift towards veganism in this country will in turn reduce the use of leather in our products. It just seems so ridiculous to me that ever single pair shoes I see on some of the big websites etc. are leather, nubuck etc. It would be easier for me I guess if I didn't work in a corporate office where we have rules about what kinds of shoes we can wear. (birkenstocks are out of the question, and I had just found vegan ones!) Otherwise I'd just wear my tevas all the time and never be concerned. It's only when I have to put on my "corporate" uniform that I have to think about it.

*phew* sorry, bout that. I just had to get that out, and I knew you all would understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-13-2004, 02:44 PM

I am upset that they are so very little man made material options for men. Especially in the cheap places you'd expect to find man made material shoes. I usually only find 1 or 2 black colored basic style shoes and never any brown ones. Sneaker wise, I hate the way New Balance look so that's not an option for me. The problem with the online stores is their items are way over-priced and the styles usually are too "weird" for my taste. Everytime I see a decent pair of sneakers somewhere, they are always ruined by a strip of leather somewhere on the shoe. The shoes I do find are reasonably priced between $20 and $30, yet online they are always upwards of $70.
#3 Old 06-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Beginner

FalafelsRule - that's exactly the kinds of things I notice. The styles are often a little odd. It's almost as if we vegans are considered to be alternative and so what would we want with normal shoes, know what I mean? And ooh...the little strip of leather drives me nuts. There are so many other great materials they can use, but I'm sure they are not as cheap as leather or something. Maybe as meat consumption goes down, the price of leather will go up and companies will stop using it. That's my hope anyway. I guess my other frustration is that I started going vegan in Jan this year and the only part of my life now that is not completely vegan is my shoes! Seems like a little thing, but symbolically it's my last hurdle. I just haven't found the right shoes to replace my work shoes yet and it's getting to really bug me.

Man, it feels good to get that out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-13-2004, 03:03 PM

I will tell you that there are a lot more options vegan wise for the ladies in the cheap stores (like Payless & Target) than there are for men.
#5 Old 06-13-2004, 03:07 PM
Beginner

Yes, unfortunately you are probably right. ;(
#6 Old 06-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm gonna go buy a few cheap pairs of white keds (goodness, they better be all man made..) and decorate the things myself. Screw the judemental people that I will be encountering everywhere I go...
#7 Old 06-13-2004, 04:21 PM

Unfortunately, even Payless is going the leather-route. Used to be that there were mostly all cruelty free shoes there. The last time I browsed, I saw more and more leathers -- I think they found an inexpensive source of animal skins. Definitely frustrating.

Shalom,

Earthsong
#8 Old 06-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I know how you feel. I feel like a hypocrite wearing leather shoes but finding decent dress shoes without leather in a regular store is near impossible. I like trying on shoes before I buy them so I don't want to buy online.
#9 Old 06-13-2004, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I work for a large bank, Im in management and have to dress corporate daily.I wear tennis shoes (new balance) and what I refer to as a military belt.

religious reasons is what I call. I'm compassionate to animals and refuse to wear leather due to my religious beliefs. Human Resources is ok with it too.
#10 Old 06-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah payless really doesnt have much anymore... also, some women have more options...I haven't seen much option wise in Target or Payless. I really really hate dress shoes, but when I do have to wear them, I have no idea what I will wear. I like casual shoes... well most of them have leather somewhere...so I usually end up with converse all stars or something similar. Running shoes seem almost impossible...
#11 Old 06-13-2004, 06:50 PM

I just left from Payless today. 75% of the shoes there were leather. I wanted a great pair of sneakers...but I didn't even see any canvas ones.
#12 Old 06-13-2004, 07:13 PM

It used to be that you could find canvas sneakers everywhere. Now it seems the only ones out there in stores are the Converse All Stars and I am not into those. I'd like to find some by Puma.
#13 Old 06-13-2004, 07:18 PM

Maybe I spoke to soon. I was browsing Puma's website and came across some that seem to be leather free based on this description:

"The 400 M Trainer is made of breathable single layer mesh and microfiber."

http://store.puma.com/pumaUSStore/pr...n&shopBy=sport

A bit pricey though at $95.00.

These look really good:

http://store.puma.com/pumaUSStore/pr...n&shopBy=sport

They indicate they are made of synthetic leather (does that mean it is fake???) and mesh.
#14 Old 06-13-2004, 07:31 PM

synthetic leather..means they're safe to wear i presume. I dont like the converse all stars either...wonder if target has any decent canvas.
#15 Old 06-13-2004, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I have found nice shoes at second hand stores, and when I buy second hand, I really don't care what they're made of, since I'm not buying from the company. Although for athletic shoes, I am out of luck. I can't do $95 shoes.
#16 Old 06-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

www.zappos.com They have free shipping and free returns if the shoes don't fit. There is a special thing for solely (hehe, couldn't resist the pun!) vegetarian shoes, and they have a lot of shoes that are vegetarian but not included in the veg. categories scattered around the site. Look in the clearance if you're on a budget, they have great selection of everything.

Seriously, go there. They have the best customer service, they ship in like, a day even with the free shipping, Zappos is the best!
#17 Old 06-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownieB26 View Post

www.zappos.com They have free shipping and free returns if the shoes don't fit. There is a special thing for solely vegetarian shoes, and they have a lot of shoes not included in there. Look in the clearance if you're on a budget, they have great selection of everything

Seriously, go ther. They have the best customer service, they ship in like, a day even with the free shipping, Zappos is the best

Thanks brownieB26...I'm going to check it out.
#18 Old 06-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Check out our shoe hussy thread...there's a zillion great ideas in there.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...t=shoe+hussies

#19 Old 06-14-2004, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, unfortunately the selection of non-leather shoes is pretty low. For men, it's even worse (we carry maybe 5 styles for men that aren't leather and none of those are dressy--Converse and a couple of other canvas styles). Most people in this country are of the mentality that if it isn't leather it's of poor quality. I hear it all the time at work (I sell shoes for a living). Then a lot of people don't like how pleather shoes make their feet sweat. So, unfortunately, it's a problem of supply and demand. Most people want leather shoes, so in order for the companies to stay in business, they sell leather shoes. It's sad for us veg*ns who want to live more ethically, but everybody else is happy (except the cows, pigs and other animals who are used for the leather).
#20 Old 06-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

All the Geoff Rowley vans are vegan. Not sure if you're into Vans, FR, but thought I'd mention it. You can get the GR lines online...
#21 Old 06-14-2004, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

what bothers me the most is that when I find a lovely pair of non-leather shoes and i get really excited and take it to the counter . . . and then I see LEATHER SOLES. They take a perfectly nice pair of non-leather shoes and stick a leather sole on it! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Thank you
#22 Old 06-14-2004, 07:54 PM

i found a cute pair of non leather boots.
#23 Old 06-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiedog View Post

what bothers me the most is that when I find a lovely pair of non-leather shoes and i get really excited and take it to the counter . . . and then I see LEATHER SOLES. They take a perfectly nice pair of non-leather shoes and stick a leather sole on it! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Thank you

Or when the shoes have a leather upper and a man made sole! Why can't they put the man made upper on the man made sole?
#24 Old 06-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Why don't you guys try Sears? They have a good selection of non-leather
#25 Old 06-15-2004, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

It really is all supply and demand. When there are more of us who are looking for cruelty free shoes there will be more of a choice. Do you all remember the first veggie burgers? Made me want to yak. But now there are all kinds of animal food alternatives. Even that stinky tuno.
#26 Old 06-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Beginner

What gets me is the price. The price of non-leather jackets are the same. Drives me insane! I live right near a vegan shoe shop (they make all the shoes there) but the guy there is a complete strange-person and just not nice to be around. They do custom orders but oh by gee by gosh by gum by joe! The prices! *cries* I'm doomed to wear stripper shoes for life!
#27 Old 06-16-2004, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

Or when the shoes have a leather upper and a man made sole! Why can't they put the man made upper on the man made sole?

One day they'll get it right!
#28 Old 06-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I recently got some new shoes. Getting formal shoes is difficult. I can't find any non-leathe rones, myself. However, getting more casual shoes is easy. I got some new casual shoes the other day. My old ones were literally falling apart. i went to a cheapass shoe shop, and found some shoes. The tag said it was made from textiles and synthetic materials, with no mention of leather, so I went with them.

Not bad either. I'm quite a thrifty bugger anyhows!
#29 Old 06-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I love Zappos.com! I ordered my leather free birkenstocks from there and they shipped right away, w/no shipping cost! I can find shoes without leather that I like, but usually if it's in a regular store it takes a *really* long time to find decent vegan ones. What I don't like is when I find a style that i LOVE and I really wanna get, but it has leather on it...

The one type of shoe I kinda wanted but can't find is a vegan shoe similar to the Pumas and other brightly-colored casual sneakers. I saw one pair that was OK and I think didn't have leather, but they didn't come in my size
#30 Old 06-16-2004, 11:21 PM

Glad to hear a positive review of Zappos. I was thinking of ordering a pair of the Vegan Earth Shoes from there. I splurged on one pair when I was in NYC at Moo Shoes and they're terrific! But they don't have the other style that I like in the store. When I've saved up (they're kind of pricey, but worth it), I may try Zappos.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page