Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Island Sneezer
  • 2 Post By Diesel
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 11-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Banned

Smoothies, yes or no?

My husband LOVES smoothies. He has one every single day and is always trying to tempt me, offering to make me one too, but I just have zero interest. I do like homemade slushees (ice and fruit, or margarita style drinks), but there's something about the consistency of a smoothie/milkshake that doesn't appeal to me at all. I'd much rather eat the fruit and veggies in their original form, not blended.

Then I was thinking that I've never liked to combine fruit in my veggie salads, so maybe that's part of the reason it doesn't appeal to me...

Anyway, was just thinking about that today and wondering if this is totally weird, or are there other veggers out there who feel the same way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I like them but not on a daily basis, just when I feel like it and it's always homemade of course. Like today, my son was a bit depressed and I decided to cheer him up with a soy milk yellow and orange tropical fruit smoothie with chia seeds (and a teaspoon of nutritional yeast). Big colorful mug and a straw and 10 min later smile back on his face because he said it was delicious. I had one also as my afternoon snack.

As weird as it sounds I am not a huge fan of munching on fruits. I do eat them but in pretty small quantity. A smoothie is for me a great way to make sure I get more fruit (and nut milk, I like almond/coconut) in my body. I'm just starting to experiment with green smoothies and would like to add one to my breakfast I guess, but I am not at that point yet. I broke my blender so have to use the food processor and I'm not sure it would get spinach/kale/roman lettuce very smooth.

Anyway, overall positive about smoothies but they are not part of my regular routine.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#3 Old 11-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't drink/eat them daily but a few times a week. It depends on my mood and plan for the week. Some weeks I have them every morning for breakfast, others on the spur of the moment. I love to blend frozen banana, a leafy green (usually two to three packed cups of romaine lettuce, curly kale, collards, or spinach), another fruit such as berries or an orange, and throw in some chia seeds or vegan pea protein powder. Occasionally I add pure cocoa powder. Other times I had a little tofu. For a treat, I might blend just watermelon with a touch of maple syrup for a refreshing drink, or lemon and banana and stevia for a tart snack. I am not much of a liquid calorie person, but I am always surprised at how filling and satisfying smoothies turn out to be and keep me energized for hours. One caveat though. I will have one for breakfast and hit the gym two hours later and have to pee five times while I am there lol. I have to time it better.

Still, I do prefer to munch on my fruits and veggies whole. I like the chewing and the texture more that way.

BTW, I have a Blendtec going on 3.5 years now and do so much more than just make smoothies with it. But my smoothies are amazing compared to my cheaper blender.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-27-2014, 05:18 PM
Banned

We have a nutribullet and it's super quick and easy. Makes the best margaritas... haha
Tiger Lilly likes this.
#5 Old 11-27-2014, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I like them, but I get a bit bored with them.

Plus, they have to be the exact right consistency or I just can't stomach them. I've found grinding chia seeds first usually makes a smoothie nice.
#6 Old 11-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I just bought a vitamix 750 pro and the amount of money I paid it forces me to enjoy a smoothie everyday.
#7 Old 11-27-2014, 08:10 PM

I go through 1 nutribullet every year I use it them so much. I make smoothies based on the one juice of my omega.
#8 Old 11-28-2014, 02:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
I just bought a vitamix 750 pro and the amount of money I paid it forces me to enjoy a smoothie everyday.
lol

You can also make stuff like the following with a Vitamix or Blendtec:

flour from whole grains (buckwheat, millet, quinoa, etc)
plant milks like flaxseed milk, rice milk, almond milk, cashew milk
hummus, hummus, and more hummus
homemade peanut butter, sunflower butter, homemade tahini, almond butter, cashew butter
cashew cream cheese or "sour cream"
avocado basil pesto with fresh basil leaves
vegan ice cream and sorbet
almond flour or almond meal
freshly ground coffee from coffee beans
date syrup
shredded carrot when you are too lazy to use a grater lol
And of course you can blend whole fruits and vegetables, including raw carrots, for awesome smoothies
Tiger Lilly likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page