yes, i believe its okay to keep animals as pets 0 0%
Only if its a certain type of animal 0 0%
do not have an opinion, not interested 0 0%
divided on subject 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-10-2004, 02:11 AM
Veggie Regular

i dont know if there has alraedy been a thread on this so.............indulge me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2004, 02:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I voted that it depends on the animal in question.

Dogs, yes.

Cats, yes.

Lions, no.

Bears, no.

etc.

- K

www.helpmegetridofmydog.com
#3 Old 06-10-2004, 02:53 AM
Veggie Regular

i didnt think of it like that, i know i posted the poll but it didn't occur to me that people keep wild animals as pets how nieve of me, i have a pet tortoise that i took form a pet shop who mistreated the animals i went back about 3 months later and found another tortoise with a dent in her shell and being jumped over by loads of lizards. i have decided to take in any unwanted tortoises and and badly treated ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-10-2004, 03:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Did you complain to the manager of the pet store? If I found they were mistreating animals I'd see about seeking help from Animal Control or the sheriff's office to have them stop selling animals. The problem with buying them from a pet store is that they'll just get more and keep repeating the cycle. It's heartbreaking though seeing the animals there. I hate stopping by the Pass Pets store in our mall and seeing the dogs in those little cages. But that's what they want, people to feel sorry for the dogs to buy them. I suppose it's the same with other animals too.
#5 Old 06-10-2004, 03:08 AM
Veggie Regular

the thing is the rspca actually bring animals there and they see nothing wrong with lizards sharing the same enviornment as tortoises as in the wild they share the same enviornment. i have nothing to complain about seeing as "apparently" the tortoise (called lady) got the crack from a previous owner (sure)
#6 Old 06-10-2004, 03:09 AM

I'm divided on the subject. I think it is wrong to encourage the breeding of animals for pets. So pet shops are a big no-no for me. However I think it's great to take in and care for an abandonned animal. I've never had a pet myself.
#7 Old 06-10-2004, 03:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm confused, I thought it wasn't possible to get tortoises in the UK anymore? Unless they're actually breeding them here now (they used to be imported, but that was banned).
#8 Old 06-10-2004, 03:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I believe domestic animals are okay to have as pets as long as they are taking care of properly. Under no circumstances wild animals: monkeys, tigers, bears, etc. I do not believe in pet stores are the breeding of animals. Most of the animals I have were rescued from the streets, adopted from the shelter or given to me by people who were going to give them up.
#9 Old 06-10-2004, 03:30 AM
Veggie Regular

i wish...............meditarian tortoises you need a license for, russian tortoises and horsefields you can buy easily without a license, i love my two but i still thing there should be a tougher routine like when adopting a child
#10 Old 06-10-2004, 04:47 AM
Beginner

I dont believe in wild animals such as lions, tigers, monkeys ect beig kept as pets. As far as dogs, cats, ect being kept I dont mind as long as they are being properly looked after and loved. It makes me so angry to see animals being mistreated There should be some sort of screening process before a person can own a pet.
#11 Old 06-10-2004, 04:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I think most animals can be kept in captivity. Of course you shouldn't have a bear. (Well, only if you have the right certifications and such, like a zoo might have) Monkeys, eh.... There are guide monkeys. I keep reptiles, and I believe some of them do actually enjoy human interaction. (Oddly, my leopard geckos enjoy interaction more than my dragon does... You'd think it'd be the other way around) The boundaries of what's an "acceptable" animal to keep in captivity have, and probably will, continue to grow.
#12 Old 06-10-2004, 06:25 AM
Veggie Regular

There are screening processes before you can adopt a pet from most animal shelters and from most responsible breeders as well. But there are no screening processes to buy a pet from a pet store or from a backyard breeder. Our shelter has a pretty strict screening process and we turn away a lot of people.
#13 Old 06-10-2004, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

i think everywhere should adopt that sort of rule- what if someone was banned from kepping animals, if he/she went to a petstore they could get hold of any animal that makes me feel
#14 Old 06-10-2004, 06:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's good that your RSPCA gives animals to your pet store to sell. As long as they do that it keeps the pet store from having to purchase pets from a breeder. Anything to stop the cycle.
#15 Old 06-10-2004, 06:58 AM
Beginner

I answered yes but that doesn't mean I think it's okay to keep wild animals as pets.. It just says animals, not ALL animals..
#16 Old 06-10-2004, 08:05 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

There are screening processes before you can adopt a pet from most animal shelters and from most responsible breeders as well. But there are no screening processes to buy a pet from a pet store or from a backyard breeder. Our shelter has a pretty strict screening process and we turn away a lot of people.

Not here ther's not. The band I manage bought me a dog from a breeder last October (I would have prefered to adopt, dont me wrong I love my lil Molly) and nothing was said. The breeder gave them the dog and they gave her the money, nothing else.
#17 Old 06-10-2004, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Then I wouldn't classify them as a responsible breeder. Even though I'm sure you're a good home, they should still do checks.
#18 Old 06-10-2004, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Jessica, they do breed tortoises in the UK so you can buy captive-bred ones but there don't seem to be many around.

I guess my thoughts are divided. I think it depends on how well you keep an animal and also the type. I would never keep birds, for example (unless I had a huge aviary and then they wouldn't reall be pets). I would like a tortoise though!
#19 Old 06-10-2004, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I hate seeing birds in cages. I would never have a bird, because I will always have cats, and if I had a bird I wouldn't want it to be caged.

I used to have a friend who kept a few tame finches. Except for not being free, they had an ideal situation. He let them have most of the house to fly in, and he brought in lots of tree branches for them to perch on. Being in his living room was a bit like being out in the woods! Those were pretty happy finches. Of course, he was forever cleaning up birdy poop.
#20 Old 06-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Actually, if someone knows how to take care of an animal properly, I'd think they would be better off than if they were living in the wild (generally).

Personally, though, I don't really like the responsibility of taking care of a pet. I currently have 2 cats, 2 rabbits, and 1 gerbil, all of whom I've adopted from 2 local shelters.

Another gerbil (from the same shelter- my remaining female gerbil's sister, presumably) died within the past month. As death goes, I suppose it was as easy as it gets... that morning, she was scarfing her breakfast out of her dish as usual, and she had enjoyed a romp out of her cage (in a cat-free room) a short time before. There were no signs that she was sick. And she was 3 years old, which is pretty good for a gerbil. She was just laying on her side in the cage, dead, when I got home.

I love them all, but it bothers me that I will always have to make decisions about their welfare for them. I'd rather advocate for animals by just avoiding harm to them, whether it was by being nearly vegan, or by growing at least some of my own food with no heavy equipment to avoid killing them in th field or in food storage facilities.

I don't like to see animals bred while others die for lack of homes, either- even though I understand that if someone really had their heart set on a particular kind of companion animal, they might not be able to find what they want in a shelter. I suppose I can sort of understand going to a breeder in that case. After all, I've "rescued" (adopted) cats, rabbits, and rodents, but no dog rescue outfits have gotten on my case for "not saving dogs". (I don't have anything against dogs- they're terrific animals- but at the moment, I'm not in a position to take a dog in)

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#21 Old 06-10-2004, 10:48 AM

I worked in a pet store for a few years, and after learning firsthand about the incredible cruelty behind the breeders, food companies, etc. I could never have a pet that wasn't from a shelter. even then, I would only want one that is naturally vegetarian. I personally don't think it's right to try to make cats or dogs vegan, and I also wouldn't feel right support the meat industry...
#22 Old 06-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

in consideration the poll wasnt the best but at least we're talking about our views. i think birds need more space than most animals, i remember when i lived in hong kong and our birds quite happily lived in our flat they roammed where they wanted and it was amazing how even when the windows were open they never tried to escape, may be they were plotting but they seemed happy.

but i couldnt have one now i dont have the space. tortoises make the best companion animal just remember a tortoise is for your grandchildren they live forever
#23 Old 06-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

my tortoise is a vegetarian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eddited to add hes techniqually vegan
#24 Old 06-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Beginner

I was at my boyfriends house today. He has a cockateil who actually likes his cage. They always leave it open and he can fly around the entire house, but half the time he'll choose to go in his cage because that's just his own little world in there. So the cage thing doesn't bother me, but the fact that he can never go outside and breathe the fresh air and fly around and perch in trees is kind of tragic.

I don't see my 2 dogs and 2 cats as anything but equal to me on all levels. Other animals just don't have the same connection with humans so I'd say unless they're domestic or able to live in wide open spaces then it's not a great idea to keep them.

Also, I completely agree on the screening process of adopting animals. I also think they should do that before somebody is allowed to give birth. Maybe hijack your ovaries at birth and until you can pass a few responsibility tests you won't get them back
#25 Old 06-10-2004, 12:21 PM

I agree with several others here who think pets are O.K. in certain circumstances -- not wild animals, for example. I wouldn't want to do anything to encourage the breeding of animals specifically for the "pet industry", but I'm very supportive of adopting from shelters or taking in rescues.
#26 Old 06-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I see nothing wrong with having certain animals as pets. I don't agree with having wild animals as pets, of course. I've always had pets. Although to me, they are my children, not considered really pets. My baby I currently have was from a friend whose dog got pg accidently. I wouldn't know how to live without a furbaby! I just wish more people would adopt animals, not buy from pet stores & breeders. Then maybe our homeless animal population would decline and pet stores & breeders wouldn't really exist. That every animal would have a loving home.
#27 Old 06-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Beginner

hehe, furbaby - I've gotta remember that.

Anyhoo, the whole breeders/petshop thingy is just another example of how bloody wasteful the human race is. And if we could all make the shift to adopting not only animals, but children aswell, we'd cut down on over-population... maybe not that significantly, but it's a start (I'm not a statsy kinda gal).
#28 Old 06-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

it's true that many pet birds like to hang out in their cages much of the time. every day, i leave my cockatiels' cage door open for several hours so they can climb around on top of it, on and in a smaller cage nearby, and when my boyfriend finally finishes it, they'll have a little tree-stand thing. usually they'll come out for a bit, but it often takes a while, and sometimes they don't come out at all unless i take them out or i'm eating something they want. if they do come out, they usually go back in on their own after a while.

birds also like to sleep in a place where they feel secure, which is often a nice high spot in their cage. sleepy birds with access to their cages tend to go back to rest.
#29 Old 06-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I read a Gerald Durrell book about one of the times he was collecting wild animals from South America to take back to the UK. He had lots in cages outside, but then found out he was unable to take them, so just opened the cages to let them go. He actually had to chase them away and they all came back at feeding time anyway. He used that as an example of how all the AR people (they probably weren't called that then) were wrong about how animals didn't like being cooped up.

So I guess that for all animals a safe place with lots of food is comforting, but I don't agree with keeping wild animals that way.
#30 Old 06-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm only in favor of adopting animals from shelters or saving abandoned babies (like my dearest Zelda). Eleven years ago I bought my snake, Adam, at a pet store. I would never do that now, nor would I ever keep a caged animal again, but I of course love him just the same. I get really angry when I see dogs and cats in particular for sale in pet stores or from breeders, knowing that there are so many who will die in shelters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page