Kosher Meats. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-28-2004, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

My dad stumbled across this website last night. Its all about Kosher meats and stuff. I had no idea that the Jewish religion was so restrictive. Its in the bible, so I can't argue.

http://www.larombible.com/no_pigs_no_lard.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah. Many jewish people don't keep kosher, mainly just the very religious ones.
#3 Old 05-28-2004, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm Jewish, and I know very few who strictly follow pareve. It's a big hassle to have to use seperate plates and silverware for meat and dairy dishes, and trying to go out to eat is also very difficult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-28-2004, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

The same can be said for vegans (like me).
#5 Old 05-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I've heard many who keep Kosher are also vegan, because if something is vegan it is automatically Kosher, so it's a little simpler. I don't know if it's true or not. BTW, speaking of dietary laws, does anyone know what Halal is?
#6 Old 05-29-2004, 04:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I have jewish relatives. Apparently, they like bacon quite a lot. They'r enot really religious, although when I was last visiting them, I noticed an Israeli flag and a Menorah on their desk.
#7 Old 05-29-2004, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylea View Post

I'm Jewish, and I know very few who strictly follow pareve. It's a big hassle to have to use seperate plates and silverware for meat and dairy dishes, and trying to go out to eat is also very difficult.

Pareve means no dairy or meat. But it is not necessarily vegetarian, because fish - those who are kosher - and eggs, and derivatives, qualify.
#8 Old 05-29-2004, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylea View Post

Pareve means no dairy or meat. But it is not necessarily vegetarian, because kosher fish qualifies as pareve.
#9 Old 05-29-2004, 06:32 AM

It has been thought that Kosher cheeses are vegetarian, since meat and dairy cannot be combined in Pareve foods. However, apparantly many Rabbis do not consider the rennet and calves stomach digest to be the flesh of the animal, but simply by-products, and have still deemed cheeses containing these ingredients, "kosher."

Recently the subject of humane animal slaughter was discussed on another board. It was the general opinion of one poster that meat labeled "Kosher" was synonymous with humanely slaughtered. Then this article by John Robbins was presented that suggested that Kosher slaughter was even MORE INHUMANE for the animal in its final moments, because it is hung upside down in the air, so as not to touch the ground, and remain "clean," and that the animal is not stunned first so that it is moving about, and completely alive until the time of death.

http://www.meat.org/kosher.htm
#10 Old 05-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post

Pareve means no dairy or meat. But it is not necessarily vegetarian, because kosher fish qualifies as pareve.

True. I do like how there's a whole kosher section in my grocery store though, cause a lot of things there are vegetarian and dairy free. Parve minestrone soups are yummy (I hate how regular soups always use beef stock!). But yeah, gotta watch for the fish, and eggs if you avoid them. I'm jewish by the way, I never kept kosher though.
#11 Old 05-29-2004, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

My family keeps kosher mostly although we will eat at restaurants. My mom won't eat or buy cheese or meat unless it is certified kosher but my dad and brother will eat non-kosher cheese out of the house. None of them will eat non-kosher meat.
#12 Old 05-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito View Post

speaking of dietary laws, does anyone know what Halal is?

Halal is, roughly translated, the islamic version of kosher.

No pork meat is one that I know of, and the special slaughter rules so the sheep bleed as empty as possible.
#13 Old 05-29-2004, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito View Post

I've heard many who keep Kosher are also vegan, because if something is vegan it is automatically Kosher, so it's a little simpler.

I think you are right on the first, but I have doubts on the second.

I thought that kosher also involves tools and kitchen utencils?

So if a producer made vegan cookies on the same machines as dairy cookies would the vegan cookies be kosher ?
#14 Old 05-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vegan View Post

I think you are right on the first, but I have doubts on the second.

I thought that kosher also involves tools and kitchen utencils?

So if a producer made vegan cookies on the same machines as dairy cookies would the vegan cookies be kosher ?

It could say kosher, but it would have to have a "D" next to it. To be "parve" (no meat no dairy), it has to be on machinery that's touched neither. Remember, kosher and parve have two different meanings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page