• 1 Post By sillybunnns
  • 1 Post By cienerose
  • 2 Post By H=N/C
  • 2 Post By veggorules
  • 1 Post By LysTheLoneWanderer

#1 Old 09-14-2014, 03:47 PM
Banned

I Got Shot At By Hunters

Yesterday morning I went hiking in the desert before sunrise. As I was walking through a thick stand of bushes I started to hear shotgun fire all around me. Then there were a bunch of quail flying everywhere, and one dropped out of the sky literally 20 ft away. I ducked down and ran sideways out of the bushes. As soon as I got clear I saw a half dozen hunters blasting away with shotguns. I ran sideways out of their path, yelling and waving my arm. A few of them glanced at me but they all kept firing, barely aiming out of my path. When I got clear I circled around and walked up to the nearest one. This guy was a fat 25-year-old redneck who looked too stupid to change a lightbulb. He stared at me and asked in a hostile tone what I wanted. I asked him if he was going to apologize for shooting at me. Then he looked downright pissed off and told me I shouldn't have been walking where they couldn't see me. I said he was the one with the gun and shouldn't be firing close to a road where he couldn't even see what the hell he was aiming at. At this point he basically half aimed his shotgun at me, glared and said "get out of here man." I walked home but I seriously considered getting my 9mm, going back and making that a-hole wet his pants.

I don't mind responsible hunting for food under safe conditions. But this was a bunch of fat idiots who probably eat piles of junk food from the grocery store, shooting wildly at birds they weren't going to eat, putting innocent people and animals in danger. Most people in this redneck town would probably side with the hunters, but I was hoping people here would share my frustration at this idiocy.

Anybody else have a bad experience with hunters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I am so sorry that happened to you! It would probably be a good idea for your safety (and theirs) if you did not return to that area any time soon. Anger can cause people to do stupid and tragic things and it just isn't worth it.

I had something similar happen to me years ago. My husband and I and our dog were in a public gravel pit looking for agates in northern Minnesota. I was with our dog and my husband was far off somewhere. All of a sudden I heard shots and then bullets whizzing by my head. My dog was terrified and we both started running to get away from there. I yelled and waved my arms also but they either did not hear me or didn't care. By the way I was wearing an orange shirt and hat because I knew it was hunting season, although I didn't realize they would do this right off a road next to a gravel pit. Live and learn. It took me days to calm down.

There have been other occasions where I have been walking in the woods and deliberately scared the deer and birds off so nearby hunters would not get to them first lol.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 09-14-2014, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Bunch of idiots, you should report them to some kind of authorities.

If they are firing next to/near or at a path or a road I'm pretty sure they are breaking some laws.
spartanfish likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-14-2014, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Naturebound; don't go back there yet! From the sounds of it, he was trying to threaten you with a visual que. It's violent people like that who are aggresive towards people. I remember when I was walking my dogs in the forest, I suddenly heard a gun-shot go off and I was terrified when a second later I saw a large group of people walking up the path towards me, and I tip-toed into the bushes because I thought they were going to shoot me. A black lab ran past us, so I slowly stepped out onto the path, and this woman with holding the necks of 20 pheasants stormed up to me and started shouting "What are you doing here? You shouldn't be here!" and, bare in mind that I had only just heard a shot just then, I said I didn't know, and she really snarkily told me "Yeah, you should've". I didn't notice the reactions of the other peope, but she was really scary and in my face, and my heart was pounding as I tried to hush my dogs out again. I think I headed straight home after that, I didn't want to walk because I was so shaken.

We also have both poachers and farmers here that go round shooting foxes in the dark (one time it went off literally right next to me), and recently the public footpath has been illegally chained off and padlocked (I suspect illegal logging in the woods), but it means if I want to walk I have to walk in the dark with these stupid maniacs about, as it's the only place anyone here CAN walk their dogs. :/

There was another time, but it wasn't because of impolite people, but it's interesting to note anyway. I was walking during the day when I heard around 10 guns all going off in the field I was about to walk, but I saw they were all pointing towards the forest rather than the path behind, so I decided to walk there. Well, one of the men was calling for me, and I was fearing the same attitude as the woman in the first story. I went over to him, and, surpise, surprise, he was an elderly smiling man, and he just wanted to make sure he knew which way I was walking so he could call off the shoot for my safety! That was a relief, as I honestly couldn't deal with conflict at that point. Anyway, he called it off and there was a lady (I think she was looking out for pheasants over-head) who my dogs came rushing up to, and again I feared her to be ill-tempered, and again I was relieved this wasn't the case. Instead of shooing them away, she bent down to give them a stroke. Everyone was patient as I walked through- and shortly back again as I found out there was a huge herd of cattle on the footpath! Luckily, I managed to see at least one fly away (the pheasant, not the cattle). I met the same lady again much further into the future, and she mentioned how she was always concerned when she saw dogs with coats of in the summer. So not a completely bad experience, but an ironic one at best.
Purp likes this.

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

Last edited by Ewe Nanny; 09-14-2014 at 06:03 PM.
#5 Old 09-15-2014, 05:57 AM
Beginner

Wow! Glad you're ok! That situation could have escalated. Especially with guns, they feel like they hold the power. I also walk and hike in the woods often in Kentucky, and I am actually surprised I haven't come across hunters.
But it's a generational thing, the younger kids are aggressive and unsafe. The older crowd are much different.
Purp likes this.

Last edited by sillybunnns; 09-15-2014 at 06:02 AM.
#6 Old 09-15-2014, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

How scary, I am so sorry that happened. You should definitely have reported them to the authorities immediately so they could've found them in the act. It is illegal to fire guns or hunt in public parks, on private land without permission and in or near residential areas in California and also, I hope, in all the other states.

There is a pasture at the end of the street I live on that used to have a herd of Angus cattle in it until a developer bought the land and started construction on it. Sometimes some creeps would go out there in the middle of the night and shoot at the cows or what ever else they saw moving out there. They were dangerously close to the houses and the sheriff dept. has been trying to catch them in the act so when ever I hear the shots I give them a call. I haven't heard any shooting for a while so either they quit after the cattle were taken away or the Sheriff finally caught them.
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 09-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Banned

Thanks everybody. Its nice to talk to some sane people after dealing with that group of idiots. I'm glad none of you got hurt in similar situations. Bullets whizzing overhead, illegal logging... sounds like you guys had to deal with some crazy stuff.

I'm more irritated than upset, but Naturebound is right, it probably wasn't worth starting a gunfight

I'll check into the legal situation. Its very likely they'll be back out there next Saturday morning. If they are then I'll call the sheriff and file a complaint.
Purp and veggie man like this.
#8 Old 09-15-2014, 07:34 PM

Yes, H=N/C please don't go starting a gun fight ... leave it to the authorities. I'm sitting here in N.Z. where if a gun is fired (other than normal hunting) it's big news - T.V. newspaper etc..the media have a field day.
Wow, after reading all the above - I am so grateful that I can safely walk through our bush (forest), and not be in danger from wild animals or people with guns....oh, they are wild animals too!!!!

Most Kiwis have never seen a gun, let alone owned one and our police are not visibly armed. Although our gun laws could be better, they're way, way better than USA.
Purp and Tiger Lilly like this.

Being a healthy vegan is definitely the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#9 Old 09-15-2014, 08:31 PM

I totally relate. Coming from Montana I'm surrounded by people who hunt for sport and it drives me INSANE! My dad likes to hunt and passed down the tradition of archery to me (although the only thing I will be hunting is paper targets ) and he feels the same way. He would always tell me that if he were to hunt down an elk, he was determined to use every last bit of it and not go off shooting others knowing he wasn't going to use them. He also always tells me he never enjoys the actual hunting part - mostly just the hiking and being able to find meat that isn't fed a crap diet and lives a terrible life in captivity. However, being in the country we both have encountered people who go out hunting just for sport seeing if they can hit things (UMM You can practice aim on trees and pop cans, hello!) and they actually enjoy killing the animal! It's so horrible and inconsiderate. I've never been personally shot at, but my dad has had quite a few stories to tell me about hunting back out in South Dakota with some hicks that nearly hit him while they were shooting at antelope. They apparently wounded one and just left it there suffering.

I like shooting bow, I see it as kind of an art form that takes a lot of skill to master, but I like the fact knowing I don't hurt another living being in the process. I know my dad likes to hunt, and it bothers me, but at least he takes the fact that it's a living being and not just an object into account, like a lot of people here I know.
Purp likes this.
#10 Old 09-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H=N/C View Post
Yesterday morning I went hiking in the desert before sunrise. As I was walking through a thick stand of bushes I started to hear shotgun fire all around me. Then there were a bunch of quail flying everywhere, and one dropped out of the sky literally 20 ft away. I ducked down and ran sideways out of the bushes. As soon as I got clear I saw a half dozen hunters blasting away with shotguns. I ran sideways out of their path, yelling and waving my arm. A few of them glanced at me but they all kept firing, barely aiming out of my path. When I got clear I circled around and walked up to the nearest one. This guy was a fat 25-year-old redneck who looked too stupid to change a lightbulb. He stared at me and asked in a hostile tone what I wanted. I asked him if he was going to apologize for shooting at me. Then he looked downright pissed off and told me I shouldn't have been walking where they couldn't see me. I said he was the one with the gun and shouldn't be firing close to a road where he couldn't even see what the hell he was aiming at. At this point he basically half aimed his shotgun at me, glared and said "get out of here man." I walked home but I seriously considered getting my 9mm, going back and making that a-hole wet his pants.

I don't mind responsible hunting for food under safe conditions. But this was a bunch of fat idiots who probably eat piles of junk food from the grocery store, shooting wildly at birds they weren't going to eat, putting innocent people and animals in danger. Most people in this redneck town would probably side with the hunters, but I was hoping people here would share my frustration at this idiocy.

Anybody else have a bad experience with hunters?
Where did this happen? That might explain a lot in itself.

Don't get into a fight with a fat guy with a gun. Leave that to the police, etc.

I would stay away from the RFZ....Redneck Fire Zone.

Good thing you're OK......be careful out there!!!!!

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#11 Old 09-16-2014, 05:29 PM
Banned

Hi Lys, I've heard Montana is beautiful. Always wanted to get up there. Which part do you live in?

Hi Dave, I live in Arizona, so this would be a Clint Eastwood style gunfight. Its an interesting situation. Outnumbered 5-to-1, but I've got a 9mm and the element of surprise. All they have is birdshot. But it would probably be more trouble than it was worth
#12 Old 09-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggorules View Post
Yes, H=N/C please don't go starting a gun fight ... leave it to the authorities. I'm sitting here in N.Z. where if a gun is fired (other than normal hunting) it's big news - T.V. newspaper etc..the media have a field day.
Wow, after reading all the above - I am so grateful that I can safely walk through our bush (forest), and not be in danger from wild animals or people with guns....oh, they are wild animals too!!!!

Most Kiwis have never seen a gun, let alone owned one and our police are not visibly armed. Although our gun laws could be better, they're way, way better than USA.
Way different than the US laws, anyway. So the animal hunters can have guns, but not people for self-defense?
#13 Old 09-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggorules View Post

Thanks for your opinion.

Personally I'd rather want to have a legal gun in the country with the worst gangster to citizen ratio in the world. (Kemp, Ross (2007). Gangs. p. 45.)

Last edited by Diesel; 09-21-2014 at 05:39 PM.
#14 Old 09-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Way different than the US laws, anyway. So the animal hunters can have guns, but not people for self-defense?
In Australia and NZ the idea of having a gun for self-defence, for most of us, is a little... strange. In fact, it's not an option when applying for a gun license.

Getting a gun, at least in Australia, is really, really difficult. For a start, you need a license which is subject to a pretty extensive background check.

Even then, the license is subject to what you want to use it for and 'self-defence' doesn't appear in the list of options you get to choose from. That means that owning guns that are handheld or semi-automatic are subject to a great deal of scrutiny. In fact, semi-automatic weapons just aren't something the majority of people have at all because there's no need for them.

Buying a gun requires a waiting period of at least a month.

If you're a registered gun owner, the police can (and do) call in to check that your firearms are put away in a secure location. The general rule that we had to adhere to in our house, was that the gun cabinet was secure and the key to it was placed far away from the cabinet, as well as being out of reach of children in the house.

If you're found in possession of a gun and it isn't registered and you don't have a license.... It's a pretty huge fine. Also I think that then bars you from owning a gun in any other state as well.

It's been a while since I looked into our gun laws, but it's the one part of the Howard government's reign that I didn't totally disagree with (which is saying something).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page