Vegan Yogurt Starter? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-05-2014, 03:49 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Vegan Yogurt Starter?

I'm not quite vegan myself, but I was wondering if anyone here makes soymilk or almond milk yogurt? If so what brand of started do you use? I have a severe intolerance to casein and want to use soy yogurt as a base for cheesemaking (I have a book on it and my first batch came out great using store-bought stuff but it's so much cheaper to make). Any recommendations/where you would get it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-05-2014, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't tried it myself, but I believe that it is possible to use store bought yogurt as a starter. You use a small amount, and if you keep some going all the time I think it lasts for quite a while. You have to buy the type that has live cultures in it, of course.

Edit: And when I said "store bought yogurt" I did mean non-dairy! I realized later that might have been misread.

Last edited by Crochetlove; 09-06-2014 at 11:04 AM.
#3 Old 09-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

The answer to that might be better answered in the Vegan part of the boards?

As vegetarians (for the most part) still consume eggs and dairy, the likelihood of you getting the answers you need in the vegetarian section, are probably a bit low.

Maybe a mod could move it for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

I know a woman who makes cow milk yogurt in her oven overnight. I've been meaning to try it with soy milk and found this really helpful link:
http://wakingupvegan.com/2012/09/23/...ment-required/
Colleen responds to the comments very well, and the recipe is written as well as a video> She's very easy to listen to and watch!
I now want to go buy some soy yogurt or starter. To be honest I may end up with cow milk yogurt to start.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page