Teens and Adult Vegetarian Survey - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-23-2004, 09:17 PM
Beginner

Dear All:

Recently, I have set up a Chinese vegetarian website, http://www.vegtomato.org/, with some friends, dedicating to promote vegetarianism around Chinese community.

Im going to do a survey on vegetarian teens and adult, hoping the result can catch our people to be inspired to become a vegetarian. Please help to fill out this questionnaire. And, I will translate it into Chinese. Thank you!!!

First name:

State:

Vegetarian type(vegan or veggie):

1.\tWhat influenced you to become vegetarian?

2.\tHow long have you been a vegetarian?

3.\tIs it hard to be a vegetarian?

4.\tWhat books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian?

5.\tWhich quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian?

6.\tHow do you get your protein everyday?

7.\tGive a general meal plan of what you eat each day:

-Breakfast

-Lunch

-Dinner

-Snacks

8.\tWhy should other people become vegetarians?

9.\tWhen you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do?

10.\tDo you think you are on a well balanced diet? If not, please explain why.

11.\tWhat are the pros and cons of being vegetarian?

12.\tAny comment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-23-2004, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

First name: Nicole

State:na

1. What influenced you to become vegan? The got milk add's lol2. How long have you been a vegetarian? been vegan about 9 years

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian? Nope4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian? Dont read books5. Which quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian? " the question is not can they speak nor can they reson but CAN they suffer?"

6. How do you get your protein everyday? my vegstables..like chickpea's

7. Give a general meal plan of what you eat each day:

-Breakfast Dont eat breakfast

-Lunch Pasta with tamatoe sauce ,soda

-Dinner Pb abd j sandwhich bag of lay's patatoe chips

-Snacks Blow pops

8. Why should other people become vegetarians? For the earth9.

When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? Oh yea...If so, what do you do? Nothing but animal products EVERYWHERE!!!

10. Do you think you are on a well balanced diet?sure If not, please explain why.

11. What are the pros and cons of being vegetarian? pros saving lifes feeling pure Con's None

12. Any comment? Its never to late to go VEG!!
#3 Old 05-23-2004, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

First name: Adriane

State: CA

Vegetarian type(vegan or veggie): VEGAN

1. What influenced you to become vegetarian? Meet your meat.

2. How long have you been a vegetarian? A year

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian? No.

4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian? Huh??

5. Which quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian? Stuff.

6. How do you get your protein everyday? Lets just say I get by..

-Breakfast Soymilk and a cup of fiber cereal

-Lunch Beans and a tortilla or something..

-Dinner Soup and veggies. I eat alot of things..

-Snacks Fruits. I love fruits.

8. Why should other people become vegetarians? Because its good for the enviornments, as well as their own bodies, and the animals.

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do? I only go to subway.

10. Do you think you are on a well balanced diet? If not, please explain why. I am a recovering anorexic, but now my diet is balanced.

11. What are the pros and cons of being vegetarian?

Pro's-Good health, animal welfare, etc.

Con's-Not being able to establish real life relationships with other vegans, and not having people understand your choice. I hate the ignorance.

12. Any comment? If everybody was a vegetarian, the world would be a better place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-23-2004, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

wow former we have alote in common were SO twins lol
#5 Old 05-23-2004, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

We can be twins, huh?
#6 Old 05-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Veggie Regular

First name: Chelsie

State: originally from Oregon

Country: born in USA, right now living in Taiwan as exchange student

Vegetarian type(vegan or veggie): vegan

1. What influenced you to become vegetarian? The nightmarkets with so much animal abuse, the personal health benefits of vegetarianism, love for animals etc.

2. How long have you been a vegetarian? 1+ month

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian? Sometimes, but for me it's a much better way to live my life.

4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian? "Becoming Vegetarian" was good, PETA webiste, veggieboards website, my cousin who is vegan.. a lot inspired me.

5. Which quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian? One I found on a website explains it well, "I know that I don't want to suffer, and for this reason, I don't want to cause suffering to others or animals."

6. How do you get your protein everyday? nuts, supplements, tofu, veggie "meats," soy products, leafy greens

-Breakfast- soy milk, whole wheat bread with veggies, sometimes with peanut butter, fruit

-Lunch-whole wheat bread, fruit, nuts

-Dinner-rice, veggies, tofu, sometimes veggie "meats," fruit,

-Snacks-fruit, nuts

8. Why should other people become vegetarians? It not only does your own personal health a lot of good, but also everyone else around you such as the environment, animals etc.

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do? Not usually any problems. If they don't offer something vegetarian I just ask because in most cases the cook can do something, even if it's not written on the menu.

10. Do you think you are on a well balanced diet? If not, please explain why. I think my diet is getting better and better. I've only recently become vegetarian and very recently become vegan, so it's something that just takes time.

11. What are the pros and cons of being vegetarian? Pros- it's good for you and other's around you, cons--you have to be careful to have a healthy diet and sometimes it's not always convientant and you have to constantly check ingrediants. However, I think the pros far outweigh the cons.

12. Any comment? I haven't been veg*n for very long, but for me, I couldn't be happier and it's now hard for me to imagine eating any kind of flesh food ever again. Being veg*n is the way to go.
#7 Old 05-24-2004, 12:51 AM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=asoka]Dear All:

Recently, I have set up a Chinese vegetarian website, http://www.vegtomato.org/, with some friends, dedicating to promote vegetarianism around Chinese community.

Im going to do a survey on vegetarian teens and adult, hoping the result can catch our people to be inspired to become a vegetarian. Please help to fill out this questionnaire. And, I will translate it into Chinese. Thank you!!!

First name: Amy

State: Oregon

Vegetarian type(vegan or veggie): Vegan

Compassion for animals

About 10 years

Not at all

Friends, my mother and one book: 'Diet for a Small Planet'

"It's their murder, and your suicide."

Whole grains, beans, nuts, seeds and soy products. I have no

problem getting enough protein. However, I do find it necessary to

take a calcium supplement.

-Breakfast

Hot or cold whole grain cereal and/or fresh, dried or canned fruit

-Lunch

Fresh raw vegetables or nuts or a piece of fruit.

-Dinner

Varies: Soup or salad, or something else hot with protein like stirfry, a burrito

or pasta

-Snacks

Red vines, luna bar, veggies, fruit, nuts, crackers, muffins, cookies, crackers.

People should try to reduce or eliminate their consumption of

animal derived products to reduce unnecessary suffering and to

promote their own health as well. It is also easy to avoid all

cosmetics tested on animals. In addition it is critical people use

more natural products to clean their home that are less harmful to

the environment.

9.\tWhen you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any

difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do?

There is usually something on the menu I will eat. If not I order a

drink or go somewhere else.

10.\tDo you think you are on a well balanced diet? If not, please

explain why.

I usually eat very healthy food but I sometimes eat too much and do

not exercise enough.

Too many pros to list as almost everyone can be very healthy

without any consuming meat, dairy or eggs. Only one con: I believe

there is a very, very minority of people you cannot be healthy on a

vegan diet. Examples: eating disorders, chloesterol dificency

disorders.

12.\tAny comment?

Everything we choose to consume has an effect on the planet.

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#8 Old 05-24-2004, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

First name: Craig

State: Lancashire

Vegetarian type: Vegetarian

Imade the decision myself after seeing documentaries about meat production on TV following the BSE crisis in the UK.

7 years. Since 1997

It depends. It was difficult at first, but I got used to it, and grew to enjoy a life without meat. The social element to it did make it difficult initially, but I got used to othe rpeople's silly comments, and it seems that I don't get that many silly comments any more.

Not really any books. I'm not much of a reading guy.

Not really any quotes which spring to mind.

I never worry about protein. As far as i know, my protein can be sourced from food. Protein isn't something which one needs to worry about. It's easily gotten.

-Breakfast

-Lunch

-Dinner

-Snacks

I never plan my eating. I eat quite a bit of fake meat, I must admit, but I generally eat something light at breakfast, like toast, and I graze throughout the day, having meals when I feel like it.

Because they think about meat production, and decide to do so because they feel that it is what they would like to do.

9.\tWhen you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do?

Most restaurants i visit will have at least a "token vegetarian option" Whether it's any good or not is a different story. If I see a vegetarian option which doesn't appeal, I'll usually just order it and see what happens if it's just a crappy restaurant, but if it has a bit more class, I'll see if I can get them to whip me up something different.

I don't really monitor my diet, but I do think that I'm eating alright. My hair isn't falling out, I don't have any health problems, so I must be doing something right.

The social element to vegetarianism can get annoying. And some people just can't take it seriously. Some people will ask stupid questions. Everyone does seem to be curious about vegetarianism. And you'll find yourself discussing your diet more than you'd like to, even if it is just talking about it sensibly. And then, hearing the same stupid questions being asked for the twentieth time by someone who's eager to hear your answer can be a little disheartening.

Also, the food can be a bit annoying, since not everyone is a vegetarian. many restauranteers put little effort into making vegetarian food, so you can find yourself eating crap when you're out, although I have seen the opposite happen, where sometimes, extra care is put into the vegetarian meal, and you find yourself at a table full of omnis who stare at your dish thinking "Why can't my food be that good?"

12.\tAny comment?

Vegetarian food can be enjoyed by everyone, whether you eat meat or not. Unfortunately, most people don't actually know that they can eat vegetarian food. They will simply cast it aside in favour of meat dishes. However, that is their loss.
#9 Old 05-24-2004, 08:20 AM
Beginner

First name: Kirsten

State: MN

Vegetarian type(vegan or veggie): Veggie

1. What influenced you to become vegetarian? Didn't want to eat animals. I like animals.

2. How long have you been a vegetarian? 7 years.

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian? Only at some restaurants.

4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian? None.

5. Which quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian? None.

6. How do you get your protein every day? Soy milk, nuts, soy products.

-Breakfast: Cereal or crackers, soy milk or fruit juice.

-Lunch: Fruit, crackers, peanut butter.

-Dinner: Vegetables, rice, pasta, occasional veggie products.

-Snacks: Fruit, popcorn, candy.

8. Why should other people become vegetarians? It makes you happy, because you're not responsible for the suffering of animals. It's far better for your health. It's easy.

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do? Yes, at many restaurants. If they don't have anything, I usually just get a salad or baked potato.

10. Do you think you are on a well-balanced diet? If not, please explain why. Yes, definitely.

11. What are the pros and cons of being vegetarian? Pros are knowing you're doing something good for the world and feeling healthy. The only con is the need to research every restaurant to find out if there's anything you can eat there.

12. Any comment? There is no reason to not be vegetarian. I'm amazed there are so few vegetarians in this country.
#10 Old 05-24-2004, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

First name: Trish

State: Nebraska

1. What influenced you to become vegetarian? Love of animals, mostly it just felt right

2. How long have you been a vegetarian? Went vegetarian 4 years ago, vegan about a year ago

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian? No, not really. The hardest part for me has been dealing w/meat eaters (some of them, not all... i'm sure you all know what i mean)

4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian? No books, and nobody

5. Which quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian? None

6. How do you get your protein everyday? Shakes & nuts mostly

-Breakfast cereal w/soymilk or oatmeal or toast, fruit, juice, coffee, protein shake

-Lunch rice/pasta, salad w/misc veggies, sometimes just a quick PB sandwich

-Dinner if not pasta for lunch, that's usually what i have for dinner

-Snacks fruits, veggies, nuts, water(if you wanna call that a snack) of course everything varies

8. Why should other people become vegetarians? For the animals, for their health

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do? Actually, I almost never go out to eat... if i do it's usually when i'm w/someone and they just stop at a fast food place and i get a side salad, no dressing

10. Do you think you are on a well balanced diet? If not, please explain why. Well, no not really... I think I need more fruits and veggies in my diet and probably less carbs (no i'm not a low carb freak, i'm just a carb addict) I tend to stray from junk foods though, which is good... overall i think I just need more variety...I'm sure there's much i'm lacking

11. What are the pros and cons of being vegetarian? Pros: Health, animals Cons: Many people aren't understanding of vegan/vegetarian lifestyles and many are simply against it, and it can be a bite sometimes to have to read and re-read lables to be sure items are veg friendly

12. Any comment? Nope, I guess not.
#11 Old 05-24-2004, 01:15 PM

First name: Cookie

State:

Vegetarian type(vegan or veggie): Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian

1. What influenced you to become vegetarian? My stomach... i didn't like eating meat anymore

2. How long have you been a vegetarian? 4 years

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian? Nope... vegetarian food is just as easy to chew as omni food

4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian? None

5. Which quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian? " I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants

"

6. How do you get your protein everyday? I eat foods that contain protein!!! Nuts, pulses... etc

-Breakfast Cereal/Muesli and Milk, Tea

-Lunch Sandwich

-Dinner Pasta/Stir Fry/ Soup

-Snacks Cookies, Chocolate, Fruit (esp Apples)

8. Why should other people become vegetarians? Because they want to be, everyone's motives are different

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do? I've never encountered any problems, all restaurants in my area have vegetarian options

10. Do you think you are on a well balanced diet? If not, please explain why. No, I have issues with my eating, but I know perfectly well what i should eat for it to be balanced

11. What are the pros and cons of being vegetarian? Pros- you don't have to eat animals!! The food is healthier and yummier, you think more about what you're eating and appreciate it more. Cons- Not being able to eat selected sweets (Though you can eat the majority)

12. Any comment? Vegetarianism is about eating what you want to eat... there are no strict barriers dividing omni food and veggie food... you make your own desicions
#12 Old 05-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

First name: Cyndee

State:TX

Vegetarian type(vegan or veggie):ovo-lacto vegetarian

1. What influenced you to become vegetarian? We had to dissect fetal pigs in my biology class. When I came home to dinner I could no longer deny that the dead corpse which had disgusted me in biology was the same thing as what was being served on my plate. I decided then that I didn't want to eat animal corpses anymore.

2. How long have you been a vegetarian? Since December 1997, approximately 6 and a half years.

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian?The only hard parts are dealing with haranguing from idiots and trying to find something to eat at restaurants.

4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian?none

5. Which quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian?none

6. How do you get your protein everyday?Soy products, beans, nuts, whole grains, dairy, eggs....protein can be found in almost anything.

-Breakfast Luna Bar/cereal/toast/fruit/yogurt

-Lunchpeanut butter and jelly sandwich/soup/bean burrito/veggie burger/veggie sandwich

-Dinner same as lunch, or casseroles and stir fries with pasta/rice, veggies, and beans/meat analogue

-Snacks Luna bars/fruit/yogurt/nuts/crackers/chips and salsa/carrot and celery sticks with dressing

8. Why should other people become vegetarians? I think cutting down on animal products and eating more vegetables would be beneficial to most people's health. Also, if you're concerned about animal cruelty or the environment than becoming vegetarian will help your cause.

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do?Yes, I hate going to restaurants. I'm completely shocked if they have more than one vegetarian item on the menu, even though they may have 25 different chicken dishes. It's also really annoying how they insist upon putting meat broths in vegetable soups. I hate asking for them to make me something special, and more than half the time when I do ask, they don't get it right the first time. If all I can find is a salad, I won't be eating at that restaurant again.

10. Do you think you are on a well balanced diet? If not, please explain why. I think my diet is better than most. I know I should probably be eating more leafy greens, but they taste bitter to me and I hate them.

11. What are the pros and cons of being vegetarian? Pros: no eating nasty corpses, helpful to the environment, helpful to animals, can be more healthful. Cons: People are often threatened by your diet and insult or ridicule you for no reason. Eating at restaurants is often more trouble than it's worth.
#13 Old 05-24-2004, 02:20 PM

Sorry about the spelling mistakes - I'm really bad at spelling!

First name: Maggie

State: Indiana and Minnesota

Vegetarian type(vegan or veggie):vegan

1. What influenced you to become vegetarian? I read lots of information on how easy and natural it is for humans to eat without hurting animals, and it seemed to me that if it is possible to eat without causing pain than we should all do so because humans are animals too and we are all equal.

2. How long have you been a vegetarian? I have been a vegetarian since 1994 and a vegan since 2001.

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian? Not at all. Roadtrips are a bit tough and it is sometimes hard to explain to others why I'm vegan without insulting them, but that's it.

4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian? my friends gave me inspoiration and then books like Diet for a Small planet, the Moosewood cookbooks, and various articles on the cruelty towards animals and humans exhibited in the meat industry.

5. Which quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian? franz kafka - "Now I can look at you in peace; I don't eat you anymore."

6. How do you get your protein everyday? Protein is found in so many things! It's almost exciting discovering new areas. Soy products (soy milk, yogurt, cheese, soy beans) peanut butter, beans (in a taco, burrito, salad, pasta, chili) and through leafy green vegetables like spinnach and arugula.

-Breakfast - granola with soy yogurt, and fruit. Coffee and orange juice

-Lunch - burrito with beans, soy cheese, peppers, spinnach, corn, and tomato

-Dinner - salad (spinach, greens, beets, raw tofu, carrots, and tomatoes), and then maybe pasta with pistachioes and veggies, bread and margarine or a gardenburger with dressings, a vegetablke pie...whatever!

-Snacks - soy ice cream, pretzels, carrot and celery sticks, yogurt, crackers, twizzlers, cookies etc.

8. Why should other people become vegetarians? Because we live in age with so much information about health and well ebing, and because good healthy foods are inside so many supermarkets and co-ops it has become very easy to eat well and be healthy while not hurting other beings. Because it is so simple people should embrace this one chance of existing without causing harm. It makes you feel and look healthy, and mentally I at least tend to be more at peace with the world.

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do? Often i ask the server if I can alter a meal to be vegan although many resturants have vegetarain/vegan meals that are simply not labeled as such.

10. Do you think you are on a well balanced diet? If not, please explain why. Yes.

11. What are the pros and cons of being vegetarian? Pros: feel healthy, look healthy, less cholestoral, less diseases, smaller grocery bill, easily prepared meals. Cons: having to explain my decision! trying to promote my diet without being rude or morally haughty

12. Any comment? This is a great idea, the survey and the web page! Good luck!
#14 Old 05-24-2004, 03:05 PM

First name: Froggy

State: VA

1. What influenced you to become vegetarian? some article bout animal cruelty in the slaughter houses

2. How long have you been a vegetarian? few years

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian? at first but thats nothing compared to how great you feel about what your doing

4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian? mostly websites and such

5. Which quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian? arent any

6. How do you get your protein everyday? nuts, imitation meats and lots of other places

-Breakfast cereal, fruit and juice

-Lunch veggie burger

-Dinner pasta or something

-Snacks fruit, nuts, chips and sorbet when in junk food mode

8. Why should other people become vegetarians? better health, general wellness of the world

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? sometimes If so, what do you do? order a salad or something

10. Do you think you are on a well balanced diet? definitely If not, please explain why.

11. What are the pros and cons of being vegetarian? pros: health, the whole animal thing, generally feeling better about yourself. cons: probly the social part

12. Any comment? go veggie and save a couple thousand lives
#15 Old 05-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

First name: Laurel

Province: New Brunswick

Vegetarian type(vegan or veggie): ovo-vegetarian

1.\tWhat influenced you to become vegetarian?: the first realisation that someone actually had to die for my dinner. I couldn't eat meat again after that.

2.\tHow long have you been a vegetarian?: about two and a half years

3.\tIs it hard to be a vegetarian?: I don't find it difficult at all. The hardest thing is to feel seperate from everybody else, rather than the actual food part. It's completely worth it though.

4.\tWhat books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian?: Actually, the movie Apocalypse Now was what did it for me. The scene at the end where they slaughtered the cow disturbed me.

5.\tWhich quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian?: Don't really have any quotations.. though one of my favourites is by Pythagoras "As long as men slaughter animals, they will kill each other. For he who sows the seeds of murder and pain cannot reap love and joy."

6.\tHow do you get your protein everyday?: Mostly soy and peanut butter.

-Breakfast: Blueberry bagel with tofutti cream cheese (LOVE that stuff)

-Lunch: Peanut butter and jam sandwich, applesauce, an apple, a homemade chocolate chip cookie, a bottle of water

-Dinner: spaghetti in Prego mushroom sauce mixed with nutritional yeast, water or juice

-Snacks: dried apricots, chips, mini-pitas with garlic hummus

8.\tWhy should other people become vegetarians?: In an ideal world I would want everybody to be vegetarian because they loved animals, but I know that's not going to happen. The environmental reasons are compelling enough and I'd be ok with that.

9.\tWhen you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do?: generally no. I usually go for pizza without cheese or a veggie burger if they have one. Sometimes I get a stir-fry and ask them to hold any meat that might be in it.

10.\tDo you think you are on a well balanced diet? If not, please explain why.: Well, probably not. I don't pay enough attention to getting everything that I should, but I know that if I set my mind to it, I could eat well and still keep with my ethics.

11.\tWhat are the pros and cons of being vegetarian?: Pros - guilt free. Feeling good that you're making a difference, even a small one. Knowing that you're being socially responsible. Introduction to many wonderful foods one might not otherwise know about. Cons - Feeling seperated from almost everyone else in your life (this can be avoided by joining a club or going to a veg*n-meetup, but we don't have any of those where I live).

12.\tAny comment?: After being veg for a significant amount of time, I can say easily that it's one of the best things I've ever done. Any parts about it that are negative are easily overshadowed by the good things.
#16 Old 05-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

First name: Rachel

State: NC

1. What influenced you to become vegetarian? a really great friend

2. How long have you been a vegetarian? ovo-lacto for 3 years, vegan for a couple months

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian? not at all, especially if you have supportive family and friends

4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian? Fast Food Nation

5. Which quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian? ?

6. How do you get your protein everyday? beans, nuts, tofu, soymilk, veggie burgers, and my favorite... chocolate peanut butter

-Breakfast oatmeal or cereal with soymilk

-Lunch usually just a piece of fruit, but I'll have a PB&J sandwich or a bean burrito if I'm hungry

-Dinner beans and rice, vegetables

-Snacks trail mix, fruit

8. Why should other people become vegetarians? reform the food industry (you know that the land needed to produce 1 lb. of been can make 12 lbs. of grain?)

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do?order a salad and a baked potato or french fries

10. Do you think you are on a well balanced diet? If not, please explain why. Definitely, I even had a nutritionist check over it and make sure

11. What are the pros and cons of being vegetarian? pros: generally healthier than omnivorous diets, satisfaction of not killing unneccesary animals; cons: not as convenient (can't just grab a burger when I'm hungry)

12. Any comment? nope
#17 Old 05-24-2004, 03:44 PM
Beginner

First name: Ed

State: Rhode Island

Vegetarian type(vegan or veggie): ovo-lacto Veggie

1. What influenced you to become vegetarian? the bad taste of meat

2. How long have you been a vegetarian? 18 years

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian? Not usually.

4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian? None

5. Which quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian? None

6. How do you get your protein everyday? Legumes, cereal, dairy, vegetables, eggs, soy products

-Breakfast : cereal with milk, herbal tea.

-Lunch : large salad and: spinach pie, soup, pizza, burito, veggies/rice etc.

-Dinner : large salad and: soup, some vegetables rice and/or noodles, pasta

-Snacks : fruit, popcorn, nachos, popsicles, pickled chile peppers

8. Why should other people become vegetarians? It's very healthy, full of variety, and pretty much free of guilt.

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do? Not always. If I they don't have anything vegetarian, I ask for something without the meat. Most of the time they are happy to help, if not, then I won't return.

10. Do you think you are on a well balanced diet? If not, please explain why. Yes, I think my diet is healthier than a lot of my friends. I pay far more attention to what I eat than they do. It seems they have very few vegetables and fruits while I have many. This is certainly a health benefit.

Pros: Can be much healthier. You also have the satisfaction of knowing that no animals died for your meal. Good Karma!

Cons: It is sometimes harder and more expensive in restaurants. And you get a lot of stares and comments because of you preferences.

12. Any comment? I get all nutrients I need without eating meat and so could everyone else. Not that I'm trying to influence them
#18 Old 05-24-2004, 04:05 PM
Beginner

First name: Katie

State: Arizona

Vegetarian type(vegan or veggie): Vegetarian

1. What influenced you to become vegetarian? For environmental and animal welfare reasons.

2. How long have you been a vegetarian? For about two years.

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian? Yes, because I like the taste of meat.

4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian? There was a book about animal rescue stories that inspired me, i learned about factory farms for the first time from it. I can't remember the title though.

5. Which quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian? none that i can think of.

6. How do you get your protein everyday? veggies, whole wheat bread, pasta, veggie burgers, etc. Most of the stuff i eat has protein in it.

-Breakfast: PB and jelly sandwich, or Malt-o-meal, and soymilk.

-Lunch: veggie burger and ramen noodles.

-Dinner: Various kinds of veggies, pasta or some kind of vegetarian caserole.

-Snacks: ramen, bananna and strawberry soy smoothie, chips.

8. Why should other people become vegetarians? I think the most important reason is because factory meat/egg/dairy farms are destroying the planet.

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do? No, i can always find something to eat. I actually think its fun, because i sometimes have to be creative.

10. Do you think you are on a well balanced diet? If not, please explain why.

Yes.

11. What are the pros and cons of being vegetarian? Pros: I feel a lot better than i did when i ate meat, being vegetarian saves lives. Cons: Family gatherings are hard, because i get teased by relatives (good natured, but still),

12. Any comment?
#19 Old 05-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Banned

First name: Isabelle

State: n/a

i grew up vegetarian, it was just common sense to me. i went vegan as soon as i got my hands on information and got involved in the vegetarian community here.

raised vegetarian, vegan for 6 years.

not where i am, but i think in other places in the world it's very hard, if not impossible.

4.\tWhat books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian? i got inspired by getting involved with the vegetarian community, but i'm reading "the pig who sang to the moon" now and i'm finding it very inspiring. i also found the movie "a cow at my table" very inspiring too.

5.\tWhich quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian? n/a

by chewing and swallowing... there is protein in everything. i find it hard to eat less than double the protein i should eat in a day.

-Breakfast: cheerios with soymilk and a banana

-Lunch: roasted veggie sandwich and a couple of veggie dogs

-Dinner: bbq tofu, soup, toast and another bowl of cereal with soymilk

-Snacks: ungodly amounts of candy, soy ice cream, popcorn, and potato chips

(today i had a veggie burger and fries for breakfast and candy for lunch, but i'm not usually this bad)

there's a little vegetarian inside everyone maybe not, but i think that anyone with a healthy moral and ethical mentality should be vegetarian. the only problem is that guilt is maybe the worst feeling, and people don't like to think that they've been acting immorally for their whole lives, so they just don't want to think about it.. and thinking is the biggest step towards becoming veggie.

i never find any difficulty, all restaurants i've ever been to here have had at least 1 vegan option, usually a lot more. otherwise, i look at the menu first and see if i can work around it. if not, then i don't even go in.

no, i eat too much junk food.

pros- you don't have to eat disgusting dead bodies, you do good for the environment, you live ethically and guilt-free.

cons- you realize how much other people suck.
#20 Old 05-24-2004, 06:21 PM
Beginner

Dear all:

I am so touched by your contribution.

Thank you so so ...... much.

I believe many of our people will get benefit and inspiration from all of you.
#21 Old 05-24-2004, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm, does that mean I should do it, or are you done? Ah, I have nothing else to do...

First name: Lindsay

State: Mi

Vegetarian type: strict veggie (always gotta throw that "strict in there...hah)

1. What influenced you to become vegetarian?

www.farmsanctuary.com had a big part to play in it. However, around age 13 or so, I started to feel like maybe I should give up meat, so I reduced it significantly and made an effort to learn more about vegetarianism. I am devoted to it because I do not want to take another beings life so that I may eat; it is in the spirit of non violence in addition to being earth friendly.

2. How long have you been a vegetarian?

About 4 years. The first year I was really dappling.

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian?

I find it fairly easy to be a vegetarian, generally. I have no taste for meat left, really- I find being vegan a good deal more difficult. I just take it one day at a time and do my best.

4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian?

My aunt gave me a book called 'Becoming Vegetarian' when I was about 14- a very simple book on vegetarian nutrition that made me see its not so difficult. Fast Food Nation was also very, very convincing.

5. Which quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian?

Well, I don't really think there were any quotes.

6. How do you get your protein everyday?

Beans, tofu, soy products, and sometimes a protein shake. Grains have some protein, too.

-Breakfast - cereal or luna bar w/ fruit

-Lunch- veggie sandwich, or some chips, or some rice- lunch is kind of varied.

-Dinner - Usually a veggie burger. Sometimes some tofu, always accompanied by a veggie.

-Snacks- Snack bars, fruit, veggies, sometimes chips or cookies or something cruddy.

8. Why should other people become vegetarians?

I believe in vegetarianism and I will always be an advocate for it in addition to being there to educate people about veg*nism. I believe it is a good decision for your body, the earth, and the animals.

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do?

Sometimes I do. What I usually do is ask for items without the cheese, or ask the waitress/waiter to help me out with a selection. I can almost always find something to eat, even at a steakhouse I can have a plain potato and a salad. Sometimes you have to enjoy the people you are with and kind of take the food as secondary!

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. However, I know how to have a balanced veg*n diet, but some days I eat too many carbs or too much fat or too much junk. I mean, you have those days...but on the whole, yes, I feel that I eat a pretty balanced diet. I could use some more veggies.

The pros are feeling good about the decision I have made, which I feel benefits the earth and the animals in a direct and economic way. I also feel better physically, as long as I eat well.

12. Any comment? I enjoyed filling out this survey, and I hope there are more people out there who can find happiness in vegetarianism.
#22 Old 05-24-2004, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

First name: Pete

State: MA

It sort of hit me one day that it was cruel to eat meat.

Vegetarian since 2001; Vegan for a couple of months.

No.

No one really, I didn't know any veg*n's when I went vegetarian. I knew a couple (One vegan) by the time I went vegan.

No quote.

Usually nuts, beans, etc.

Going to cheat on this any not answer, because I have some eating issues that I'll elaborate on later.

Because it's just so much better for other animals, and for the enviornment.

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do?

No, they'll usually change things around a little bit (No cheese, etc.) and make it vegan.

See below for why I'm not going to answer this, because it'll skew your results.

Pro - Much better for animals and the enviornment.

Con - We live in a very meat-centric society.

12. Any comment?

I think my veganism probably led me to my eating disorder, which is why I didn't answer two questions above. There were/are bigger issues lurking underneath, and just being a little bit more restrictive went and that sent me off. But, that's not normal for most people.
#23 Old 05-24-2004, 08:22 PM

First name:Em

State:IL

1. What influenced you to become vegetarian? Ethics/religion, health, politics

2. How long have you been a vegetarian?2 years

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian? not at all

4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian?internet research, the Tao Te Ching (believe it or not),

5. Which quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian? "how can you love one animal called "pet" and eat another called "dinner"?"

6. How do you get your protein everyday? Tofu and Lentils work well (the first place a protein defficiancy shows is in the fingernails, lets just say I get frequent compliments on my long, natural, strong and shiny nails... that sounds girly but it reflects very well on my protein levels)

-Breakfast: A fruit smoothie and some granola w/ soymilk

-Lunch: always on the run so usually pretzels and a banana or something similar

-Dinner: Tofu sandwich, lentil soup, veggie burger...something along those lines with some fresh veggies

-Snacks: too many! soy icecream, pretzels, vegan cookies and muffins...

8. Why should other people become vegetarians? It really is a mood booster, both the natural foods you put in make you feel better, as well as the knowledge that you're doing something good for the world around you. The discipline will make you feel proud and strong!

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do? tough it out and settle for a salad and water... it happens but thats life.

10. Do you think you are on a well balanced diet? If not, please explain why. I snack too much... but other than that yes.

11. What are the pros and cons of being vegetarian?see above.

12. Any comment?
#24 Old 05-24-2004, 09:54 PM

First name: Amina (a.k.a RAWmina, hehe )

State: Colorado

Vegetarian type(vegan or veggie): raw vegan

1. What influenced you to become vegetarian? My love for animals...never was a huge fan of meat to begin with either...

2. How long have you been a vegetarian? vegetarian for 2 years, raw vegan for just 1 year.

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian? Not a bit! I love being a vegan!

4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian? A penpal of mine, and just reading PETA's Animal Times.

5. Which quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian? There weren't really any, I guess.

6. How do you get your protein everyday? From either broccoli, nuts, seeds, leafy greens...all kinds of stuff.

-Breakfast: Fresh apple/parsley/celery juice (YUM!)

-Lunch: Usually a (raw vegan) banana shake

-Dinner: A gigantic salad, haha.

-Snacks: Water I guess...and fruit.

8. Why should other people become vegetarians? Because the animals, the earth, people and every living thing deserves it!

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? Yes! If so, what do you do? I don't go to restaurants anymore, lol.

10. Do you think you are on a well balanced diet? Yes! If not, please explain why.

11. What are the pros and cons of being vegetarian? Pros: it's the best thing you can do to help suffering animals and to help the enviroment and your health!

12. Any comment? Go veg*n! You'll never regret it!! By the way, this a cool idea!
#25 Old 05-24-2004, 11:02 PM

First name: Michelle

State: CA

Vegetarian type(vegan or veggie): lacto-ovo vegetarian

1. What influenced you to become vegetarian? Health and animal reasons.

2. How long have you been a vegetarian? About a year.

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian? Nope.

4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian? Environmental science teacher and a speaker about being a vegan.

6. How do you get your protein everyday? Tofu, peanut butter, milk, cheese(occasionally)

-Breakfast: Wheat bagel with peanut butter

-Lunch: Salad-romaine, tomatoes, avocado, bell peppers, oilive oil n' balsamic vinegar

-Dinner: Pasta with broccoli

-Snacks: Vegie gyoza, apples, almonds.

8. Why should other people become vegetarians? It's environmentally friendly to everyone and themselves.

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do? If I do, which is rare, I order a salad and bunch of sides.

10. Do you think you are on a well balanced diet? Yes.

11. What are the pros and cons of being vegetarian? I'm even more aware of what I eat, which is a huge pro! A difficulty is going out to eat and knowing that the same stove used to cook meat is being used to cook "vegetarian" meals.
#26 Old 05-25-2004, 07:17 PM
Beginner

Dear All:

Thnak you so much for the contribution, and I am stilling collecting survey now. As long as anyone is interesting in filling out this survey I will keep translating it into Chinese and post in my website for people to learn from it.

And, I would like to say that it is so nice of you to help me out. Since I have posted this survey on several forums,I always learn much from those contribution.

BTW, I also posted this survey on other forum, if you are interested in this topic, you may visit the following site:

(1)http://www.vegfamily.com/forums/show...&threadid=1255

(2)http://www.worldveganday.org/html/mo...ic&p=7918#7918

Thank you!!!
#27 Old 05-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Beginner

First name:ehh, sorry

State:AZ

Vegetarian type(vegan or veggie):vraw vegan

1. What influenced you to become vegetarian; myself

2. How long have you been a vegetarian; since i was about 10

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian; its harder to sleep at night knowin u killed somthin

4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian; none

5. Which quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian; none, sadly

6. How do you get your protein everyday; nuts and seeds are my fave

-Breakfast huge fruit salad, homemade oj

-Lunch lagre salad, or some raw hummus, or some igors crackers(thier from heaven itself)

-Dinner anythin my heart desires

-Snacks fruit, veggies, nuts&seeds, igors crackers

8. Why should other people become vegetarians? becuase, its good for u, the world, and its good for the little cows

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do? no i dont

10. Do you think you are on a well balanced diet? If not, please explain why.yes

11. What are the pros and cons of being vegetarian?p:good for u, cows, enviorment. u dont feel like a murderer at the end of day

c: there are none, sorry

12. Any comment?nope, im all done for now
#28 Old 05-27-2004, 09:37 AM

First name: Johanna

State: KY

Vegetarian type(vegan or veggie): Vegetarian, I try to be as vegan as possible, though.

1. What influenced you to become vegetarian? It's been around my house...then, there have been a few times where I've had spiritual experiences with animals

2. How long have you been a vegetarian? Something like 5-6 years.

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian? Nah, not at all for me.

4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian? None.

5. Which quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian? None.

6. How do you get your protein everyday? Nuts.

-Breakfast? Nuts and cereal

-Lunch? Crackers and spinach or spring mix w/o dressing

-Dinner? Usually something prepared.

8. Why should other people become vegetarians? If they want to. That's awesome.

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do? Oh, yeah. I don't go back and when I'm there I just order a salad or fruits/veggies

10. Do you think you are on a well balanced diet? If not, please explain why. Oh, hell no. I'm very lazy.

11. What are the pros and cons of being vegetarian? It makes me feel better to know there's no animal products in my body. On the con side...um, it's hard to find places to go out to eat. But I won't go back to being non-veg.

12. Any comment? Spinach rules!
#29 Old 05-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

First name: Kelly

State: New Jersey

1. What influenced you to become vegetarian? The thought of eating animals or things they came out of animals butts or nipples grossed me out. lol. That's pretty much why. I do not believe in using harmless animals for our own folly and pleasure. Cows do not milk our boobies so we shouldn't milk theirs!

2. How long have you been a vegetarian? About 2 years. Vegan for about 3 months.

3. Is it hard to be a vegetarian? Not at all, once you learn about all of the awesome stuff you can eat!

4. What books or who gave you the inspiration of being a vegetarian? Ironically, the person who inspired me to become vegan I rarely talk to (in fact she has no idea I am vegan at all). But, she is a classmate of mine who has been a vegan for about 3 years.

5. Which quotes that inspired you to become a vegetarian? None actually lol. Although there are some fab quotes out there!

6. How do you get your protein everyday? Soy, soy and more soy! And also beans and stuff. Lots of whole wheat too and sometimes wheat gluten (seitan).

-Breakfast - I only eat breakfast on weekends, but -

Coffee, orange juice, whole wheat bread with peanut butter or jelly or apple butter, and then sprinkled with fruit and/or granola. I'll usually eat a tofutti cutie too! lol

-Lunch - At work, fruit and veggies. At home, a veggie burger with tomato, lettuce, lots of cayenne pepper, some pickles. Maybe a pasta dish.

-Dinner - Vegetarian chili and brown whole grain rice with chopped veggie burger.

-Snacks - Tostilla chips, fruit, raw veggies, Tofutti "ice cream", apple butter (yum), chips and some cookies like Vienna Fingers which are vegan and some varieties of Oreos are also!

8. Why should other people become vegetarians? Because those animals are harmless (ie; cows, chickens and turkeys) and I know I wouldnt want to be killed for no reason. It's cruel!

9. When you go to non-vegetarian restaurants, do you find any difficulty ordering appropriate meals? If so, what do you do? Actually, I have been pleasantly surprised at most restaurants. However, Perkins has very little options. It all depends on the type of restaurant. Diners usually have veggie burgers, steakhouses do not. I actually went to an extremely veg-friendly restaurant that was called a "grill" so I wasnt expecting anything vegan. But, they had veg soup, tortilla chips, a vegan entree (not labled vegan, but it clearly was) and an open salad bar!

10. Do you think you are on a well balanced diet? If not, please explain why. Most of the time I feel that I am, unless I get lazy and eat chips all day. Sometimes I worry about my hair getting thinner, but nothing else really. It is much more nutritional then any other diet if you do it right!

11. What are the pros and cons of being vegetarian? I see no cons in being vegetarian or vegan.

12. Any comment? Um...go vegan! lol
#30 Old 05-27-2004, 06:35 PM
Beginner

First name:Julia

State:Victoria

Vegetarian type(vegan or veggie):Vegan

That scene in Jurassic Park where the lamb is lowered into the t-rex cage then you see it's carcass ends up on the windshield.

What influenced me to become vegan was simply learning of the cruelty involved in the harvesting of dairy/eggs/wool/honey etc.

9 years vegetarian, nearly a year vegan

The only hard part is dealing non-veg*ns who are uneducated about the lifestyle, and those who think it is their devine right to slaughter whatever they feel like eating.

I knew no vegetarians and had no vegetarian books at the time I decided to become one.

None *see above* but I do enjoy reading the many quotes from Einstein, Tolstoy, Da Vinci and the like when I feel defeatist.

Soy

Honestly, it varies far too much to say.

It's healthier, it's good for the environment, and you don't have to feel guilty about killing or inflicting pain upon another living creature.

I avoid restaurants with non-vegan options, but I live in a community with a lot of vegetarian restaurants. I prefer to cook my own food.

10. Do you think you are on a well balanced diet? If not, please explain why. My health improves every day as I learn more and more about nutrition. I am a lot healthier than I was before I became vegan - I eat more vegetables and fruit than I ever have. I also eat a lot more in general than I did before. And I always try to get all the essential vitamins and calcium etc. everyday.

PROS: Having a clean conscious, feeling healthier, having more energy, less likely to put on weight, yummy food, more food.

CONS: Dealing with the rest of the world.

12. Any comment?

I hope I haven't turned people away from the lifestyle with my answers hehe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page