Thinking foods - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-21-2004, 11:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to take End of Grade tests that that are required in my state. I'm in eigth grade, so if I faile the test, then I possably faill the grade, so it is very important that I have brainy food before the test. I will need food that will ceep me awake and full the whole time. I also need food that is healthy and will help me to think clearly. I will have 3 EOGs next week, and one End of Course. The EOGs are 8th grade math calculater, 8th grade math noncalculater, and 8th grade English. My EOC test is on Algebra, which partly determens wheather I take Algebra over again or geometry next year.

So, being a person converting over to veganism (I can't call myself vegan yet, I'm only on the 5th day of no dairy) what is a good breakfast that will help me out with all of the above, that is freezable or quick to make? I have a cook book for vegetarians, but since it's not vegan, most of the recipies for breakfast include eggs. I am use to the egg and cheese with tomatoes for healthy breakfasts. What do I do now? All of my old eating habbits are gon, so now I must think of a new something for breakfast. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-21-2004, 11:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Oatmeal with cinnamon and sugar is great at waking me up. You could always try coffee or tea. Don't worry about the test too much, the standardized tests aren't usually as big and scary as teachers make them seem
#3 Old 05-22-2004, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Study hard and work on your spelling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-22-2004, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Grrr...end of grade tests....grrr

<<<writes to Jennifer89's state rep. and explains why assessment tests are bunk...

Anyway, ditto to the oatmeal suggestion. It's warm, it packs a healthy dose of iron and fiber. Stay away from fruit juice that might leave you with a sugar crash a couple of hours later (during the test!)

Good luck, breathe deeply.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 05-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I would go with one of these:

tofu scramble and toast and a piece of fruit

oatmeal (slow-cooking, no instant!) with almond butter or peanut butter and fruit

peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole-grain toast, glass of soymilk
#6 Old 05-22-2004, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was taking standardized tests in High School (SATs and such) I would eat spaghetti the morning of. Make it the night before, throw it in a tupperware, and put it in my bag. It's filling, and gives you carbs to keep you awake through the test. Not too heavy (easily digestable white pasta) but a little better GI than straight sugar.
#7 Old 05-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a smoothie recipe for this!

Smart Juice

What it does - 'Makes you mentall as sharp as a tack'

How you make it -

Mix 1 tsp whey protein powder (I'm sure you could subsitute a vegan one)

2 oranges

1 cup diced rockmelon

2 apples

1 pear

Why it works - the fruit in this juice offers a mega vitmain and mineral boost, such brain stimulators as potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, and vitamins B and C.
#8 Old 05-23-2004, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

I have a smoothie recipe for this!

Smart Juice

What it does - 'Makes you mentall as sharp as a tack'

How you make it -

Mix 1 tsp whey protein powder (I'm sure you could subsitute a vegan one)

2 oranges

1 cup diced rockmelon

2 apples

1 pear

Why it works - the fruit in this juice offers a mega vitmain and mineral boost, such brain stimulators as potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, and vitamins B and C.

That sounds good, but I dought that I can talk my mom into buying me even more fruit and veggies then she did yesterday. Yesturday she spent like $15-20 on veggies and fruit. I dought that she'll buy more. Usually before I became vegetarian, she would spend $5, and then when I was vegetarian, she would spend about $5-10, now I'm getting the good stuff! But maybe I could get them next week end, that'll be after EOG though!
#9 Old 05-23-2004, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

When I was taking standardized tests in High School (SATs and such) I would eat spaghetti the morning of. Make it the night before, throw it in a tupperware, and put it in my bag. It's filling, and gives you carbs to keep you awake through the test. Not too heavy (easily digestable white pasta) but a little better GI than straight sugar.

Spaghetti for breakfast? Never tried that before! But I have had breakfast for dinner, so why not dinner for breakfast? I'll try that!
#10 Old 05-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Put some peanut butter on it or something. You want some protein and fat so you don't crash halfway through the test.
#11 Old 05-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

Put some peanut butter on it or something. You want some protein and fat so you don't crash halfway through the test.

Sounds good to me I like peanut butter! MMMM, peanut butter...

As far as the person who made up the state testing idea, well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page