Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Tiger Lilly
  • 1 Post By Diesel
  • 1 Post By Rivfader

#1 Old 08-17-2014, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Anybody know about Whole Foods Cheese being "Vegetarian"?

I tried eating Daiya cheese, it just tasted so bad .

So I went to Whole Foods in search of cheese, and found that they have sliced organic cheese they sell, and on the package it says "Vegetarian" in bold letters.

To the ordinary person, they will think... no ****.. cheese is vegetarian. But I know better than that, I was wondering if anybody knows whether the cheese is truly vegetarian and doesn't use rennet in it. I looked on the package, but it had no further information... I even asked the workers there, they were clueless to what I was saying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-18-2014, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

So you're okay with dairy right? Just not rennet?
If it says vegetarian it would contain vegetable rennet, but most likely would have dairy.
There are regular store brand cheeses with vegetable rennet.
Check out this list:
http://cheese.joyousliving.com/CheeseListBrand.aspx
#3 Old 08-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

There's very few parmesan chesses that are veg-friendly.

It's also not just rennet. There's also 'lipase' and 'enzyme'. Unless the rennet is specified as being veg-friendly, then don't trust it. I've been caught out on that before.

If you find you can't trust any, pine nuts and cashews are a nice substitute for cheeses at least as far as pasta goes. Also Cheezly is pretty good in a pinch!
veggieyogagal likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Eventually I'm going to stop eating cheese, but one step at a time...
#5 Old 08-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Eventually I'm going to stop eating cheese, but one step at a time...
It can be a process.

Do you like wraps? Something I tried before I even went veg, was Toffutti cream cheese (it's not really cheese!) on a wrap. It's really tasty! I've tried some of their sliced cheese, it's not AS good. But I love my vegemite and cheese sandwiches....So it helped.
#6 Old 08-21-2014, 02:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
It can be a process.

Do you like wraps? Something I tried before I even went veg, was Toffutti cream cheese (it's not really cheese!) on a wrap. It's really tasty! I've tried some of their sliced cheese, it's not AS good. But I love my vegemite and cheese sandwiches....So it helped.
Actually I've already stopped eating cheese.

Funny that 3 weeks ago I was a full blown omni, favorite foods = all had meat and dairy. Now I'm completely different.
Tiger Lilly likes this.
#7 Old 08-21-2014, 04:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Funny that 3 weeks ago I was a full blown omni, favorite foods = all had meat and dairy. Now I'm completely different.
Wow! Congratulations!

I couldn't have done all that in such a short time. I hope you're able to maintain it!

Definitely look up some quick 'cheese' recipes that you can make at home, they come in handy in a pinch! (Nutritional yeast, is kind of incredibly important ).

Not sure what butter replacer you're using, but Nuttalex is great!
#8 Old 08-21-2014, 09:33 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Awesome!
#9 Old 08-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't like the taste of Daiya either. But, fortunately, the Whole foods I shop at also has almond cheese which is a heck of a lot tastier and less plastic-like. I found it next to the shredded Daiya.
#10 Old 08-29-2014, 03:24 PM

Is there a Trader Joe's near you? They specify the type of rennet used in each of their cheeses as either animal, microbial, or vegetable on the packaging (there is also an online list and explanation: http://www.traderjoes.com/guides/rennet-test.asp ). Also, Cabot brand cheese (with the exception of their processed American slices, uses microbial rennet in their cheeses (see here: http://www.cabotcheese.coop/pages/about_us/faqs.php). Cabot brand should be available in regular grocery stores if there isn't a nearby TJ's.

I know next to nothing about Whole Foods and their products though, sorry.
veggieyogagal likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page