33-38 0 0%
39-42 0 0%
43-48 0 0%
49+ 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-20-2004, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi there, I'm doing a paper on Vegetarianism/Veganism (sort of like a community awareness thing) and I need feedback, here's a poll and a few questions, I need a good deal of replies in order for this to work:

What type of Veg*n are you?

Why are you Veg*n?

When did you go Veg*n?

What influenced you to go Veg*n?

If you care to add anything else to this such as good quotes/whatever it's a bonus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-20-2004, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

What type of Veg*n are you? im Vegan

Why are you Veg*n? animals,enviroment,health

When did you go Veg*n? more then 8 years ago

What influenced you to go Veg*n? When i found out how wrong unnessisary,and unnatural Dairy was

A qoute .ummm

"just because the rest of the heard dose it dosent mean i have to" - somthing i just thought of

Hope that helps!

#3 Old 05-20-2004, 05:32 PM
Banned

I am 24, vegan for 9 months due to the fact that I don't want to cause death and suffering to animals, environmental reasons, and health reasons. Knowledge influenced me to go vegan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-20-2004, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

What type of Veg*n are you? lacto-ovo vegetarian

Why are you Veg*n? Spiritual / Health reasons

When did you go Veg*n? Feb 2003

What influenced you to go Veg*n? Dalai Lama initially - then research etc.
#5 Old 05-20-2004, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

What? I'm a vegan, but not strict.

Why? Don't want to contribute to needless animal suffering.

When? Since 1999.

How? "Why Vegan" Booklet.

You can also get some more answers from one of these other polls:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=18154

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=17705
#6 Old 05-20-2004, 06:47 PM

What type of Veg*n are you? ovo-lacto

Why are you Veg*n? compassion for all living things; better health; spiritual connection with G-d and Nature; ecology

When did you go Veg*n? August 2002

What influenced you to go Veg*n? listening to my heart and mind

If you care to add anything else to this such as good quotes/whatever it's a bonus [/QUOTE]
#7 Old 05-20-2004, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

ovo-lacto vegetarian

Why are you Veg*n?

ethical and health reasons

When did you go Veg*n?

November 2001

Meet Your Meat (and missleigh)
#8 Old 05-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

What type of Veg*n are you? Hmm... tough one. I'm a schmegan, but of the types of veg*ns, I'd say I'm closest to a vegan.

Why are you Veg*n? I was disgusted at the thought of eating an animal. Also, dairy/eggs/etc just disgust me.

When did you go Veg*n? June/July 2003

What influenced you to go Veg*n? Reading an article in a magazine, and research on the internet.
#9 Old 05-20-2004, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

*Vegan

*Ethical reasons

*Went vegetarian when I was around 12, 6-7 years ago. Then became vegan gradually about a year later.

*I became vegetarian because I just couldn't stand to eat meat anymore. It was too gross. Later, I knew some people online who were vegan, and I didn't understand why people would be against using animal products other than meat, so I researched it, found out about all the cruelty going on, and ended up going vegan.
#10 Old 05-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

What type of Veg*n are you?: Vegan

Why are you Veg*n?: ethical and health concerns

When did you go Veg*n?: May 2000

What influenced you to go Veg*n?: Dr. John McDougall got me started, www.factoryfarming.com commited me for life.
#11 Old 05-20-2004, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarian.

Why are you Veg*n?

I don't want to eat creatures.

When did you go Veg*n?

About a year and a half ago? I forget exactly.

Also, I have been vegetarian for periods of time

in the past.

Terrible nightmares.
#12 Old 05-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

What type of Veg*n are you? Lacto-ovo vegetarian

Why are you Veg*n? Ethical and Health reasons

When did you go Veg*n? Sept 2003

What influenced you to go Veg*n? When I learnt more about vegetarianism.
#13 Old 05-20-2004, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Healthy kind? Skinny kind? hehe... the Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian kind.

Why are you Veg*n?

Respect for all life.

When did you go Veg*n?

I would have liked to always have been veggie, but I wasn't brought up with that as a real option. I've always been a bit unsure about eating it. I went Vegetarian in 1991/2.

Not sure exactly, probably my best friend Matt who was vegetarian - who oddly, took to eating meat as I went veggie.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#14 Old 05-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

What type of Veg*n are you? Vegan

Why are you Veg*n? Health and ethical reasons

When did you go Veg*n? March 2003

What influenced you to go Veg*n? Hard to say... had been vegetarian for 3 years, and I'd done some research on veganism and felt it was something that was right for me
#15 Old 05-20-2004, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

What type of Veg*n are you? Here, I'm a shmegan ('cause I eat honey, don't worry about vitamin D3, etc.) To people IRL, I'm vegan.

Why are you Veg*n? Because I don't want to contribute to the torture and suffering of animals. And because I have loved many animals and don't want to cause the deaths of possible friends. I also think being veg is one of the easiest, best things that I can do to slow environmental degradation. Plus, I feel healthiest and happiest as a vegan.

When did you go Veg*n? When I was 13 in 1995. I became vegan in 2002 when I was 19.

What influenced you to go Veg*n? Originally, I just became very uncomfortable with the idea of animals being killed so I could eat them. It wasn't until later that I learned about factory farming and the environmental issues. Once I knew about those, I felt increasingly guilty about including dairy and eggs in my diet. Then, when I was 19, I learned I had a dairy allergy, so it seemed like a good time to go for it. It was hard at first, but I'm really, really happy with it now (the 60 pound reduction in my weight probably helped with that.) It's great to know that I don't take part in that horrible industry anymore.
#16 Old 05-21-2004, 01:58 AM
Veggie Regular

What type of Veg*n are you? Strict vegetarian, although just about to go 100% vegan

Why are you Veg*n?

To reduce unnecessary animal suffering and make a stand against exploitation; to help reduce unnecessary waste from farming which is polluting our environment; for my health!

When did you go Veg*n?

Vegetarian over 1 year ago. Turned vegan pretty much last week, although was transitioning for several months

I went vegetarian after realising meat was a dead animal - then various websites helped to back this up.

"Recognize meat for what it really is: the antibiotic- and pesticide-laden corpse of a tortured animal. ~Ingrid Newkirk, National Director of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals"
#17 Old 05-21-2004, 03:17 AM

Why are you Veg*n? I no longer believe I have a right to abuse animals.

When did you go Veg*n? I stopped eating meat and buying leather in December 2001. I've been vegan for about a year

What influenced you to go Veg*n? Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness Of Being
#18 Old 05-21-2004, 04:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming, as the more replies I get, the more statistics/information I have

<side note>

My paper has to be at least 5 pages long with a visual.. it's a toss up if I should bring in Veg. Chili or the "free me" movie off from Goldfingers' Open Your Eyes cd.
#19 Old 05-21-2004, 05:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a "man what doesn't eat meat, baby" An ovo-lacto vegetarian.

Why are you Veg*n?

I don't really find the idea of chowing upon animal flesh to be all that appetizing. That, and I feel disillusioned with the factory farming process.

When did you go Veg*n?

1997, aged 12

The BSE crisis opened my eyes to modern animal food production. Many TV documentaries on BSE showed animal slaughter scenes, and within a year, I'd decided to drop meat from my diet.
#20 Old 05-21-2004, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm vegan (vegan for almost a year, vegetarian for 16 months) for health, environmental and ethical reasons. I was influenced by knowledge of farming techniques and by actually thinking about what I was putting in my body. I went vegetarian for mostly health reasons, and vegan for mostly ethical reasons.
#21 Old 05-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

What type of Veg*n are you? Ovo-Lacto, slowly working up the gumption to go vegan.

Why are you Veg*n? It's how I was raised, and I agree with it so I have never even experimented with meat.

When did you go Veg*n? The day I was born.

What influenced you to go Veg*n? Being born to a pair of vegetarians.

I had it way too easy having veggie parents. A high school friend of mine who decided to "go veggie" - her parents actually took her to a shrink!
#22 Old 05-21-2004, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

What type of veg*n are you? I'm vegan with two problems. CSA certified work boots and medicine.

Why are you veg*n? A combination of compassionate, health and environmental reasons.

When did you go veg*n? About 5 or 6 years ago, not quite sure since the change to veg*nism was so gradual.

What influenced you to go veg*n? The awful amount of guilt I felt for eating what could only be completely conscious and capable creatures. Not to forget that here I was removing them from the cycle that keeps this planet working and I was only one among billions of humans doing this. A very discouraging thought.

About that visual part of your project, would something along the lines of "meet your meat" be too much?
#23 Old 05-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Saborm-

I just recently downloaded the Meet Your Meat video, and I'm unsure if I want to show it. It may be too much for some individuals... yet, it really gets the point across...

I know that there are a few individuals that are very sensitivie to animals and whatnot, so they always have the option not to see but to listen....

Any other suggestions? Anybody have any good informational links about Veg*nism (to encourage omni people)?
#24 Old 05-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Why are you veg*n? Ethical reasons.

When did you go veg*in? I have been a vegan for almost 8 years and a vegetarian for almost 16 years.

What influenced you to go veg*n? I was 12 when I became a vegetarian because I loved animals and didn't want to eat, hurt or wear them. I was 20 when I became a vegan after I learned about the dairy, egg, wool, silk and honey industries. I stopped using animal tested products as soon as I learned it was done when I was 17. I stopped using all medicine at 19 when I learned the goverment mandates animal testing on all medicine.
#25 Old 05-21-2004, 02:30 PM

What type of Veg*n are you?Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian

Why are you Veg*n?I just don't like the idea of eating meat or animals

When did you go Veg*n? July 2000... when i was 14

What influenced you to go Veg*n? Not sure really, it was really just my own stomach turning at the thought of having to eat meat
#26 Old 05-21-2004, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

What type of Veg*n are you? Vegetarian. Strict vegetarian/schmegetarian, here and vegan to those who think that vegan means "doesn't eat cheese" but I consider myself to be Vegetarian.

Why are you Veg*n? For my health.

When did you go Veg*n? Sometime in 2001-2002 (I think it was closer to 2001, though).

What influenced you to go Veg*n? My health was really starting to fail on me so I started to do some research on ways to boost my immune system/try to reverse what was going on and long story short, ended up going veg. In that process, I found VegWeb and when their discussion boards shut, I came here with everyone else.
#27 Old 05-21-2004, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

What type of Veg*n are you? ovo-vegetarian, working towards a vegan diet. I'm afraid I may have to go back to dairy when I go back to school due to lack of options at the meal hall, but you'd better believe I won't be happy about it.

Why are you Veg*n? ethical reasons. I'm way past the point where I could go back to omni and be ok with myself.

When did you go Veg*n? February 7, 2002

What influenced you to go Veg*n? the movie Apocalypse Now. Only because of the scene of the cow at the very end where they chop off it's head alive. It was an actual cow being filmed and it was the first time that I'd actually made the leap to "oh, what I'm eating is a real animal that was killed for me." I just couldn't eat them after that.
#28 Old 05-21-2004, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second_Chance View Post

Hi there, I'm doing a paper on Vegetarianism/Veganism (sort of like a community awareness thing) and I need feedback, here's a poll and a few questions, I need a good deal of replies in order for this to work:

What type of Veg*n are you? Vegetarian

Why are you Veg*n? I think it's wrong to kill animals.

When did you go Veg*n? 1999

What influenced you to go Veg*n? My then-eight year old son.

If you care to add anything else to this such as good quotes/whatever it's a bonus

Vegetarian
#29 Old 05-22-2004, 01:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second_Chance View Post

Saborm-

I just recently downloaded the Meet Your Meat video, and I'm unsure if I want to show it. It may be too much for some individuals... yet, it really gets the point across...

I know that there are a few individuals that are very sensitivie to animals and whatnot, so they always have the option not to see but to listen....

Any other suggestions? Anybody have any good informational links about Veg*nism (to encourage omni people)?

Instead of showing it off the computer (cause you said you downlaoded it)

Why not show it on the TV with the clearest reseption?

Just email [email protected] with your name and home adress and she'll send you A Free meet your meat video (on vhs) but you can only borrow it for like about 3 month's ... its really easy and its Free!
#30 Old 05-22-2004, 01:54 AM
Veggie Regular

What type of Veg*n are you? vegan

Why are you Veg*n? because i love animals

When did you go Veg*n? i turned vegetarian in feb 2001 and vegan in august 2003

What influenced you to go Veg*n? i was feeling really guilty for eating animals, also i read a lot of stuff on a website, which gave me the guts to go against my mums wishes and go veggie!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page