Simple, cheap, healthy and fast daily vegetarian meals - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#1 Old 08-05-2014, 06:11 AM

Simple, cheap, healthy and fast daily vegetarian meals

Hello everyone!

To cut a long story short although I'm better now due to a rare intestinal disorder which put me in bed for a year I can no longer eat meat, drink coffee and alcohol as well as a few other things like too much milk.

This has made me into an involutary vegetarian, or one where I can only take small quantities of meat when it is mixed with other food. Even drinking a standard amount of whey protein in milk will make me sick

I am getting back into Gymnastics training so really need some protein in the diet.

I can't stand cooking, don't care much for a meal so long as it tastes ok, don't have a lot of time or money and really need some simple ideas for a well rounded meal that I can make for the evenings.

To give an example years ago I once made two huge pots of Bolognese which I froze and then ate for 4 months daily. All I did was unfreeze a box for that week, cook up the pasta and sprinkle some parmesan, job done, tasty and well rounded and very cheap.

So anybody any ideas for something simple, fast, cheap, regular and healthy?

I've been thinking something like egg fried rice daily? Just depends on the contents? High fibre is also a thought.

Brown Rice or White Rice? etc. etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-05-2014, 06:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Verbatim,

Glad you are feeling better, sounds like this was a long, very unpleasant illness. I am not going to offer any recipes here, but rather, talk about general strategies.

I went strict veg when I was in grad school, had very little money and really didn't even know how to cook. Yeah, it was definitely a crash course... What I learned was this: when you consider cost, convenience and how healthy it is (or isn't), it is nearly impossible to maximize all three of those factors. In other words, you almost can't have food that is truly cheap, fast and healthy. You can usually achieve two of those, but not all three. The cheapest and healthiest food almost always takes some time to prepare.

Two cookbooks I recommend for you: _Vegan on $4 a Day_ is the first. I will admit that $4 a day is kind of unrealistic (the book was written a few years ago) but the general ideas are excellent ones, and many of the recipes are healthy and no-fuss. Note that the book relies heavily on cooking from scratch - because this is far cheaper. For example, buying canned beans vs. cooking the beans from scratch is something like a 400% markup on price!!

Another cookbook that is good: _McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook_. These recipes are all fast and easy to make, but also healthy. (They are not necessarily cheap, though, because they rely on things like canned beans and instant rice.)

Try checking these out from the library and making a few of the recipes; this will give you some ideas of what ultimately will work for YOU to keep you fed. You have the right idea, by the way, to make large quantities of something and then freeze for later use. I do that a lot. Cook your own beans and freeze them, make soups, rice, casseroles. This helps a lot. Note that when I can, I also use a crockpot. It still takes time to prepare the ingredients, but the crockpot does simplify the cooking process a great deal. You might try googling "crockpot vegetarian" and see what recipes you find.
#3 Old 08-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Beginner

A few options that come to mind are lentil stew with veggies, bean chili, black eyed pea stew or chili. All should freeze well, all could range from a thinner soup version to a thicker stew that you could eat on its' own or over brown rice, couscous, or quinoa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-05-2014, 10:29 AM

Thanks rocket indeed it was a long one...also thanks for those books and pointers.

Quote:
In other words, you almost can't have food that is truly cheap, fast and healthy. You can usually achieve two of those, but not all three. The cheapest and healthiest food almost always takes some time to prepare.
I beg to differ! For £80 (circa $130) I made 4 months worth of bolognese including parmesan and pasta, yes it took me the whole day. I made sure there were a range of ingredients to cover vitamins, so additional herbs etc. for taste, celery as well etc. etc. It was a very well rounded bolognese. Fast to make (12 minutes pasta and bolognese cooking time), healthy and damn tasty.

That equates to less than $1.5 a day!

I have a rice cooker which makes excellent rice, I am thinking I might want to use it as my 1 meal a day maker. So throwing in different vegetables etc. also poaching two eggs in there while it's happening. That would make it a 12 minute affair. Only thing I need to get down is ingredients, higher protein and fiber foods.

Brown rice is an option but takes a long time!

Oh yea can't do lentils either! They don't like me..

Last edited by Verbatim; 08-05-2014 at 10:52 AM.
#5 Old 08-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbatim View Post
I beg to differ! For £80 (circa $130) I made 4 months worth of bolognese including parmesan and pasta, yes it took me the whole day. I made sure there were a range of ingredients to cover vitamins, so additional herbs etc. for taste, celery as well etc. etc. It was a very well rounded bolognese. Fast to make (12 minutes pasta and bolognese cooking time), healthy and damn tasty.

That equates to less than $1.5 a day!
Ok, yes, your Bolognese is inexpensive to make, but I would have to argue not terribly healthy because of the meat and Parmesan and you did post looking for fast, inexpensive and healthy... But possibly it could be made without the meat and that definitely would increase the health factor. If you like that recipe, why not give it a try and see if it works?

One similar idea to this that might work well for you is this lasagna - my very favorite lasagna and easy to make. It does use pre-made pasta sauce, which is a bit pricey, but if you buy it on sale or in a great big jar, it's not so bad. Any time I make this lasagna, I freeze the leftovers - I have been known to make a double batch just for that. Link: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/03...e-lasagna.html

I do think your idea about using your rice cooker is a great idea. Some rice cookers will make both brown rice; see if yours will. White rice is not ideal, but if you are getting plenty of fiber from other sources, it's not that bad. Plus, rice (white or brown) tends to be very economical.
#6 Old 08-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Fast, easy and healthy....HMMMMM!

Pasta-

Veggie Bolognaise: Lentils to replace the mince, frozen veggies thrown in, with a jar of tomato sauce. Instead of Parmesan (dairy isn't really that great for digestive issues) you can pan fry some nuts, like cashews or pine nuts to sprinkle on top. Or Nutritional Yeast.

There are loads of variations on this one. I like to throw some spinach into it, makes it taste fresher and it's probably not terrible for you!

Veggie Lasagne- These taste great, they take a little while to cook but once you've done a big batch, they keep for a while and leftovers are great!

Basil pesto- http://vegetarian.about.com/od/morer...anpestorec.htm
(This recipe uses more garlic than even I would use and I don't use nutritional yeast in it, but it's pretty much how I make pesto)

Rice dishes-
Curry- Jar of curry sauce, vegetables (I recommend loads of mushrooms and chickpeas because they work well in Indian cooking). There's also a brand called Tasty Bite. They're microwave meals, fairly inexpensive and good in a jam.

Stirfry- Same deal as the curry. Though, I'd recommend trying to make some of your own sauces. They're not that hard, pretty quick to make and most have the same basic ingredients of tamari and garlic, with additions of things like ginger ect.
One of my favourites is to use firm tofu (you can drain it, cut it up, throw it in the freezer for an hour or two, to make it a bit chewier), with broccolli and cook it all in sesame oil with a touch of tamari. Tastes delish!

Wraps- Refried beans, blackbeans, chickpeas, tofu, you name the veggie filling and there's a recipe that will suit it. I recommend hummus as a must have for most wraps because it's delicious.

Pizzas- Just leave off the meat. (I like to add on more mushroom).

Majority of those can be pretty inexpensive to make, though using fresh fruit and veg is nicer at times.
#7 Old 08-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I love my rice cooker. You can make any kind of grain or smallbean like lentil. In a crock pot you can make a bunch of chili, soup, stew and freeze it in small containers lik you did your spaghetti sauce. I like to cook more than you, but freezing meals ahead is a regular thing for me. Beans are high protien. You did not say if you ate eggs. I make at least one omlette a week. If you are still eating any meat at all you should be getting enough protein. People need a lot less protein than mds say.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
#8 Old 08-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry did not see prior post about lentils. And about fiber. Get a coffee grinder and grind small amounts of flax seed to add to your food. This can't be done in advance. it adds fiber to food.

#9 Old 08-06-2014, 03:28 AM
an irregular

im very new to vegetarianism, but ive always enjoyed cooking, usually on a budget and with limited time. last night my dinner had maybe 5minutes of prep, and was simply some strips of smoked tofu, chopped yellow onions, red and green bell peppers, can of black beans partially drained(makes a slight sauce with the other ingredients), some salt and some "5 pepper" shaker seasoning wrapped in tinfoil with the top open and just threw it on the grill for 15ish minutes until it was nice and hot. served over some leftover white rice, tasted great, was filling, didnt take long at all and it made enough for atleast another 2 meals, i'll definitely be making this one again
LedBoots likes this.
#10 Old 08-06-2014, 03:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Can you still eat beans? If so this might fit the bill:

1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can haricot beans or butter beans
1 small can sweetcorn
1 courgette - chopped in bite size chunks
1 pepper - chopped in bite size chunks
1 jar passata (in the UK you can get ones with garlic and onion already added)
1 packet texmex spices (usually this has salt in it already so no need to add extra)

Pour all the ingredients into a big saucepan - let it simmer for about 20mins. Serve with rice. It freezes well in portions.

Veggie curries are another good one - but I find they don't freeze as well. However I used to make a chickpea and spinach curry that stood up to the freezer test.
#11 Old 08-06-2014, 03:27 PM

Thanks everyone, some great ideas here already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallot View Post
Can you still eat beans? If so this might fit the bill:

1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can haricot beans or butter beans
1 small can sweetcorn
1 courgette - chopped in bite size chunks
1 pepper - chopped in bite size chunks
1 jar passata (in the UK you can get ones with garlic and onion already added)
1 packet texmex spices (usually this has salt in it already so no need to add extra)

Pour all the ingredients into a big saucepan - let it simmer for about 20mins. Serve with rice. It freezes well in portions.

Veggie curries are another good one - but I find they don't freeze as well. However I used to make a chickpea and spinach curry that stood up to the freezer test.
Yes I can still eat beans, although the flatulence after eating them is a tough one for me to come to terms with.

Curries sound great actually, completely forgot I once made an excellent veg curry that I ate for 2-3 weeks. Oddly I can eat very spicy food, just not meat and high protein..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post
I love my rice cooker. You can make any kind of grain or smallbean like lentil. In a crock pot you can make a bunch of chili, soup, stew and freeze it in small containers lik you did your spaghetti sauce. I like to cook more than you, but freezing meals ahead is a regular thing for me. Beans are high protien. You did not say if you ate eggs. I make at least one omlette a week. If you are still eating any meat at all you should be getting enough protein. People need a lot less protein than mds say.

Yes I can have eggs, but not too many. I can't do a 4 egg omelette daily, but I can incorporate an egg into a meal daily.

I suppose I would love to find a well rounded recipe that I can make daily for months on end, and do it all in my rice cooker, with the rice at the same time. I imagine beans will have to be involved despite my reservations about my known flatulence. I quite like to eat the same tasty thing daily, as I really dislike putting too much thought, time and effort into food. I suppose at most I'd try a new recipe/meal once a month or 2.

I'm imagining flax seed rice, with a poached egg, chick peas, lots of herbs... mmmmmm
Something like this (although again this requires frying and not just a rice cooker!):

http://www.7aumsuvai.com/2013/05/fla...l#.U-KrXaNQbGA

Last edited by Verbatim; 08-06-2014 at 03:41 PM.
#12 Old 08-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Helloo!

I've been vegetarian for three years and started when I was a freshman in college. At one point I worked mostly for rent and had very little to spend on groceries. I can say while it may be challenging, it's definitely possible to eat vegan/vegetarian and healthy on a low budget!

Like everyone else has said - cooking a lot beforehand and freezing it/storing it so that all you have to do is heat it up later is your best bet.
Places like Earth Fare and Whole Foods that are notoriously expensive DO have items that can fit on a budget if you know to shop.what to look for. One thing you can do, which I did, if you're really in a bind is buy vegan/vegetarian ramen from health food places and then add things like tofu and flax seeds. You can google recipes to make some pretty tasty/healthy dishes out of them!

Also, have you tried Primal jerky strips? They're made from different things like seitan, soy, and I believe mushrooms, taste like real jerky, and are packed with protein. They can be pricy depending on where you buy them but they are usually cheaper than protein meal bars. I used to eat this before or after I worked out.

I hope this helps and good luck!
#13 Old 08-10-2014, 01:28 PM

Thanks Trippy.

Anything too high in protein will make me sick, same goes for whey protein which is vegetarian.

I think I'm going to base it around a rice cooker, so cook the same meals daily in a rice cooker..

So it'll be a staple of Basmati rice, flax seed and other things I can add, maybe beans. A well rounded diet with a good amount of fibre in it..

I'm not sure why everyone considers white rice to be so bad.. When I only eat rice I tend to lose weight..

P.S. Apparently flax seed isn't so good for men, especially the prostate. I know soya isn't good for men which is why I tend to stick away from Soy containing products, not that I won't eat it I just won't make it a staple diet.

Last edited by Verbatim; 08-10-2014 at 01:34 PM.
#14 Old 08-10-2014, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh woops, I misread your first post about the protein.

How do you feel about fresh veggies and such?
Salad has never failed me, but it can get old after a while.

I'd also try smoothies. If you have access to a decent blender, you can do wonders with it. There's also a bigger variety of smoothies and you're not as likely to get tried of them as quickly.
#15 Old 08-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Lentils are cheap and quick cooking. You could do them in the rice cooker with the basmati rice, some chopped up vegetables (or a can of veggies even), and some herbs/spices. There are inexpensive mixes of spices, like Mrs Dash, that give food some zing. Sesame seeds or peanuts, walnuts, whatever's inexpensive, you can sprinkle on top for some good fat and protein.

To aid digestion, make sure you chew your food very thoroughly.
#16 Old 08-11-2014, 08:32 PM

Can you eat potatoes? They are cheap, easy (microwave cooks it in like 3 minutes) and filling, and sweet potatoes especially are pretty healthy IMO. They are a great base starch over which you can put pretty much any veggies, beans, onions, mushrooms, nut sauces, chia seeds, pretty much anything you want. I mixed in a spoonful of apple jam with a microwaved sweet potato last night for a late night snack and it was stellar.

Sometimes when I don't feel like cooking for a while I will just make a batch of some sort of cashew or walnut based sauce in the blender and then just put that over top of potatoes and frozen vegetables (warmed up in microwave) for a few days.

walnuts, chia seeds and ground flax seeds are good vegetarian sources of alpha-linoleic acid (omega 3), so I try to incorporate a T of those somehow into at least 1 meal each day.

Spices are important, they aren't really that cheap but they should go a long way for just sprinkling on top of quick meals. There are lots of salt-free options out there, but if you are not opposed to a bit of salt, try some of the flavored salts like kala namek, hickory smoked salts, herbamare, himalayan pink salt etc. They make things taste great.

Oatmeal is great and healthy. I don't care a ton for it as a hot cereal, but the old-fashioned oats you can just eat cold with some raisins thrown in and almond milk over the top. I also mix in some chia seeds and some bran flakes. I eat this for breakfast almost every day and I find that I have a much easier time staying focused on a plant-based diet when I make sure to have a good whole grain breakfast.
#17 Old 08-12-2014, 01:40 PM

Cheap and easy are most veggie soups.
If you want something that takes little to no effort with minimal ingredients, get some organic non-GMO rice (to avoid arsenic) and mix that with some veggies. You can do a stir fry as well which I do enjoy. You cook up the rice, put it to the side. Cooke up a few eggs in olive oil, and boil up a mix of frozen stir fry veggies. Use olive oil in a skillet and cover it with olive oil, add in the rice and toss it around a bit. Add in the eggs, veggies, and some soy sauce and continue stirring it around for about 6 to 8 minutes. BAM! Simple and cheap. Takes me about 15 minutes to make when I have the rice cooked. I use a small rice cooker I got from walmart.
#18 Old 08-13-2014, 11:02 PM

Our 5-min-don't-want-to-cook-meal consists of

* Asian noodles,
* soy sauce,
* (egg),
* veggies of our choise, mostly onions, carrots and tomatoes.

Cook the noodles in salty water for as long as it takes (depends on type of noodles).
Meanwhile, heat a frying pan and fry pieces of carrot and onions until they gain some color (they may still be crunchy, the carrots at least).
Add the cooked noodles, a slightly beaten egg if using and the soy sauce and cook until either the egg is done or the soy sauce mixed with noodles and veggies.
Add some cut up tomatoes on top.

This takes about 5 minutes, you can use all sorts of fresh or frozen veggies and the dish is really filling.

I personally don't like eating out of the freezer (the thawing process somehow puts me off), so I would go to quick fresh meals in your situation - sandwiches, quick warm salads, one-pot meals, frittatas, maybe green smoothies (with fruit, greens, vegetable). A smoothies takes a about a minute - throw everything into food processor and that's it.

Book recommendation for quick and easy veggie meals: Easy vegetarian one-pot.

Best,
Fidi
#19 Old 08-14-2014, 06:06 AM

Thanks everyone I thought I may update you for where I am at.

Yes I can eat beans, I can eat lentils but they make me fart like hell so I dislike them, spartanfish I cannot each porridge/oats for some odd reason which is annoying because I really like porridge it's as bad as having a steak, I also cannot eat too many mushrooms unless they are blenderised I best leave them out. As for potatoes yes I'll eat them but I am not a huge fan, for me really rice is king.

So I'm buying a new rice cooker on Saturday.

I want to nail one Bean & Rice recipe that I can make in the rice cooker with as little outside prep as possible (what I mean by this is no additional cooking in seperate pots etc. all to be done in the rice cooker.)

After much reading I've decided to drop white rice and go for either wild rice or black rice (although there is red rice that has me perplexed). I am doing many body weight exercises/amateur gymnastics so need to keep protein in mind and beans are great for this.

Black rice has a 35 minute prep time, as do many beans (I may start from cans but will eventually want to prep my own beans from dry). So essentially those two will go together perfectly and I'm happy to have a 35 minute prep time. Which beans I am to use is another matter.

I just need to formulate some sort of well rounded meal covering, vitamins, some fats etc., with some sort of taste so I can buy bulk. I will be paying a visit to the Chinese supermarket so so far my ideas are:

-A massive bag of black rice.
-A massive bag of black beans.

Quote:
How do you feel about fresh veggies and such?
Salad has never failed me, but it can get old after a while.

I'd also try smoothies. If you have access to a decent blender, you can do wonders with it. There's also a bigger variety of smoothies and you're not as likely to get tried of them as quickly.
Veggies are great. Actually I am quite happy to eat the same meal daily. I find without choice you eat because you are genuinely hungry and not because you just want to satiate your desire for various tastes, while still enjoying the meal you eat.

P.S. I am quite happy if this rice cooker meal deal comes out as some kind of conge, it doesn't have to be a nice dry rice and bean recipe..

I think I should make another thread about a simple bean and rice recipe that can be done in a rice cooker.
Tiger Lilly likes this.

Last edited by Verbatim; 08-14-2014 at 06:14 AM.
#20 Old 08-14-2014, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Just on the beans....are you draining them and running some water over them before adding them to the cooking?

Because seriously lentils used to have me farting up a storm before I started doing that. Now, I'm fine with them!
#21 Old 08-14-2014, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I once belonged to a money-saving message board where what one lady did was cook one big meal a week, quadruple it and freeze the leftovers in individual portions. Over time, she developed quite a little restaurant of different individual meals in her freezer, she would eat sandwiches for lunch and then for dinner pick out one of her saved meals.

What I tend to do is have the same few breakfasts and lunches, and if I want variety, I mix up the dinners. I tend to eat dinner with others so I am more likely to go out, and so get something different.

Like you, I am trying to get in more produce and more protein and nutritious foods as opposed to empty calorie junk. I also can have beans, but only in smaller doses. Here are my current go-tow:

Breakfast- In the winter, I make oatmeal (1/3 cup oats with a spoonful of chia seeds or grape nuts or sunflower seeds, with water just to cover, microwaved 2 minutes). I stir in a snack cup of applesauce or tinned fruit, sometimes a pudding cup if I want a treat, then pack it in a thermos and eat it at work. In the summer, it varies. Sometimes toast (I have been into cream cheese and jam this summer) and sometimes a waffle spread with peanut butter.

Lunch- In the winter, it is nearly always a jarred soup with cracker and fruit. I was buying jarred soup from the grocery store, but actually found that several local restaurants sell take-out jars which are fresher, the same number of servings, and a dollar or so cheaper! I like loaded potato soup, split pea soup, lentil soup and veggie chill. I pack it with oat crackers and a side of fruit. This summer, we got a rice cooker so I have been doing bento-style boxes (rice rolls, edamamae, fruit & veg sides), bagels with toppings, wraps or pitas involving hummus or peanut butter, dinner leftovers etc.

Dinner- varies. We have been using the rice cooker a lot. I add veggies and a handful of beans to mine (I flash-freeze the beans and can scoop out just a few) and he eats his plain. We also make pasta once or twice a week (our current go-to is tomato sauce with sautéed peppers, but we also like snow peas and carrots). He likes snack dinners too, a bowl of cottage cheese and some veggie chips topped with tomato sauce and Daiya shreds in front of the computer...
#22 Old 08-14-2014, 10:54 PM

Verbatim, I'm just going to throw some of my thoughts and opinions your way.

Google how to soak your grains, ie. brown rice, wild rice etc... To minimize Phytic Acid. Especially if your eating grains daily

-Look into a book called 80/10/10 by Dr. Douglas Graham it will change your out look on food and sport completely.

I don't understand why you want to cook if you want a quick meal? Raw is faster in my opinion.

If your into gymnastics I feel you should be more concerned about getting enough carbohydrates and calories. White rice will provide more carbs without the phytic acid issue. BUT you must make sure your getting enough vitamins and minerals as you won't be getting much from the white rice. It's also easier to digest than brown.

I am very active. I cycle everywhere on a daily basis. I also do resistance training and plyometric exercises almost daily. I also have three kids so time is always of the essence. I have a ton of energy. I eat about 80% fruit and the rest vegetables. I eat some nuts and seeds for fat and certain nutrients. When I eat cooked I eat a variety of potatoes, and squashes. I do eat some grains on rare occasion. I don't eat any soy or legumes cause I'm sick of the poor digestion and flatulace. One of my daily meals consists of 8-10 bananas wrapped in lettuce leaves. Costs about $4. I don't think it gets any easier than fruit. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
#23 Old 08-14-2014, 11:56 PM

Vanilla Gorilla I believe you are my answer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Gorilla View Post
Verbatim, I'm just going to throw some of my thoughts and opinions your way.

Google how to soak your grains, ie. brown rice, wild rice etc... To minimize Phytic Acid. Especially if your eating grains daily
I will do this... and I will check what this issue is (i.e. please don't want to waste your time writing to me about the phytic acid issue as I will look it up)

Quote:
-Look into a book called 80/10/10 by Dr. Douglas Graham it will change your out look on food and sport completely.
I will do this!

Quote:
I don't understand why you want to cook if you want a quick meal? Raw is faster in my opinion.
Yes this has got me thinking as well, because I have little time, just that bulk cooking and eating it warm then cold the next day can come out cheap. Raw is faster you are right and I think the way to go, just sometimes I feel like I need a warm meal at least once every 2 days, can be something like a soup.

Quote:
If your into gymnastics I feel you should be more concerned about getting enough carbohydrates and calories.
Absolutely which is why I thought about a lot of rice, eating it cold throughout the day makes it quite cheap.

Quote:
White rice will provide more carbs without the phytic acid issue. BUT you must make sure your getting enough vitamins and minerals as you won't be getting much from the white rice. It's also
easier to digest than brown.
Precisely, which I wanted to do brown rice with protein in mind really for the evenings or first thing in the morning after exercise because I have poor digestion and irregularity so need the fibre content. You are right I need the vits etc.

Quote:
I am very active. I cycle everywhere on a daily basis. I also do resistance training and plyometric exercises almost daily. I also have three kids so time is always of the essence. I have a ton of energy. I eat about 80% fruit and the rest vegetables. I eat some nuts and seeds for fat and certain nutrients.
Wonderful, then we are a birds of a feather, plyometrics is the essence of dynamic gymnastics and resistance training the essence of static gymnastics. I am intrigued by what your diet is, fruit etc. I really want to plan it all out, it will also help because I cannot eat a lot so need to eat small amounts throughout the day. Imagine my will look like this when I move back to London.

6am-8am - Conditioning training
8am-9am - Wash, east, get to work (I motorcycle)
12.30-1.30pm - Lunch break but I will not go with the colleagues for lunch. (I may do Hatha Yoga which I do on my own if the building I get has an empty quiet room for this.)
Circa 6pm to 8pm - Gymnastic or other sport
10pm - Home and in bed

So fitting fast meals in between these daily would be essential, with a bigger one before bed.

Quote:
When I eat cooked I eat a variety of potatoes, and squashes. I do eat some grains on rare occasion. I don't eat any soy or legumes cause I'm sick of the poor digestion and flatulace. One of my daily meals consists of 8-10 bananas wrapped in lettuce leaves. Costs about $4. I don't think it gets any easier than fruit. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Yes fruit is a great way forward, I wonder how cheaply one can do it, obviously I will disregard some cheapness for healthier eating. I dislike soy products (except soy sauce) too and they are not good for men hormonally. I may substitute potatoes for pasta, which I find easier on me.

It's funny you mention legumes and poor digestion, because I feel rather sickly today after the red kidney beans and rice I ate yesterday. Although I think I recall years ago me having this problem after eating a lot of white basmati rice i.e. that feeling of stomach acid and indigestion, different from the problems I have when I eat too much protein, which is more like headache, nausea and a having to lie down feeling.

Last edited by Verbatim; 08-15-2014 at 02:45 AM.
#24 Old 08-15-2014, 08:55 AM

For your sched I agree with a large meal at the end of the day. Today's glucose is tomorrow's glycogen. Unless you are eating before your morning training session.

I do add one serving of raw, whole food plant based protein powder to my morning smoothie. I do this to boost my protein but for an extra shot of amino acids as well. I find this suits my lifestyle and digestion better than consuming beans or soy.

A typical day for me looks like this:
-Lots of water upon waking and a glass of orange juice or some dates for breakfast
-Cycle 15km to work
-Second breakfast of fruit based smoothie about 500-600cal at work
-Morning "coffee" break second fruit meal 500-600 cal
-Lunch break third fruit meal usually around 800-1000 cal
-Sexond coffee break is nap time
-Before leaving work I usually have some dried fruit
-Cycle home 15km and pick up the kids
-Workout for 30-45min
-Dinner which is different for my kids usually I have fruit as a post workout recovery to replenish carbs. Then for dinner I may have cooked carbs or just a large salad of some sort.

I eat veggies throuout the day with my fruit as I like to eat a lot of quantity. And lots of veggies for dinner. This is also when I incorporate my overt fats. I usually consume around 3000-3500cal/day. Sometimes more or less. It just depends on my activity level. I make a point of keeping my fat and protein calories around 10% each of my total calories. Hence the 80/10/10.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited by Vanilla Gorilla; 08-15-2014 at 08:57 AM.
#25 Old 08-15-2014, 10:33 AM

Turns out I can't eat beans either I had believed I could so that is out, had quite an adverse reaction yesterday. I can eat fruit though and a fair amount of it.

Quote:
For your sched I agree with a large meal at the end of the day. Today's glucose is tomorrow's glycogen. Unless you are eating before your morning training session.
I'll get straight out of bed and exercise, 6am is early enough for me to be honest!

Quote:
I do add one serving of raw, whole food plant based protein powder to my morning smoothie. I do this to boost my protein but for an extra shot of amino acids as well. I find this suits my lifestyle and digestion better than consuming beans or soy.
I have diet whey protein from Matrix nutrition which is based on milk and I mix it with semi-skimmed milk, but I find it quite difficult to stomach it + gives me constipation the next day due to the high protein which is only actually 25g per 45g serving, I have ordered some dietary fiber powder which should help me with this, so I will try this out.

What food plant based powder are you using?

Quote:
-Second breakfast of fruit based smoothie about 500-600cal at work
Could you elaborate what you put into this smoothie?

I must add I can't drink too much milk either, it really sucks how many limitations I have. 400ml which is one whey protein smoothie is quite enough milk for one day.

Quote:
-Lunch break third fruit meal usually around 800-1000 cal
Could you elaborate on your fruit meal? What sort of fruits are you going for?

Quote:
-Sexond coffee break is nap time
This is actually an excellent idea for the lunch break, going to sleep for an hour.

Quote:
-Dinner which is different for my kids usually I have fruit as a post workout recovery to replenish carbs. Then for dinner I may have cooked carbs or just a large salad of some sort.
Quite perhaps pasta is the way forward then, with veggies etc. easier on the stomach than high acidity rice.

Quote:
I eat veggies throughout the day with my fruit as I like to eat a lot of quantity. And lots of veggies for dinner. This is also when I incorporate my overt fats. I usually consume around 3000-3500cal/day. Sometimes more or less. It just depends on my activity level. I make a point of keeping my fat and protein calories around 10% each of my total calories. .
So what veggies do you eat throughout the day, I don't want to overeat need to keep lean. I understand your diet is heavily based on carbs then, is that right?

I'm imagining something like this then.

Lots of tea and water throughout the day.

6am - 8am - Wake up and straight to conditioning training
8am - 9am - Wash, prep milkshake and fruits, get to work (I motorcycle)
9am - 10am - Consume per-prepared whey protein and fibre milk shake while at work.
11am -12:30pm - Maybe a Banana or two.
12.30pm -1.30pm - Lunch break find somewhere to sleep (I really need it when I can).
1:30pm -3:30pm - Consume fruit and nuts at desk
Circa 6pm to 8pm - Gymnastics or other sport
8pm-10pm - Big meal (although I will try and eat small throughout the day)
10pm - Bed!

Quote:
Hence the 80/10/10.

Keep us posted on your progress
I will do when I get started, so this is based on a 80% carb diet, I'm guessing that it's quite difficult to loose weight with this. I mean I need energy but don't want to be putting on weight rather I need to lose it. I suppose carb is the only diet I can tolerate anyway at the moment, high protein makes me sick and high fat also is the runner up in this department.

Does the book tell you all about fruit and a dietary plan etc.? So I can plan how much I'm eating everyday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot;
Breakfast- In the winter, I make oatmeal
Sadly I cannot, one of my favourite foods..

Last edited by Verbatim; 08-15-2014 at 11:02 AM.
#26 Old 08-15-2014, 01:10 PM

For the record I am vegan. Having said that I'm not surprised whey powder is causing you digestive upset. There is a reason whey powders contain digestive aids. Whey protein is so heavily processed and so far from whole food the body doesn't recognize it. So it attacks it as if it were an infection. Besides ethical reasons there are numerous physical reasons why humans should not consume animal milk. It sounds like your body is telling you it doesn't like dairy in general so phase it out.

Every ounce of energy you put into digesting something is less energy for you to use for other things. Like gymnastics.

I use Sun Warrior Protein Blend. I like the amino acid profile and flavor. It's not cheap though and for a reason. I recommend you try Hemp or pea protein. Hemp powder doesn't taste all that great but it's cheaper and is a complete protein source. These are a lot closer to a whole food source and therefore a lot easier to digest.

My typical fruit smoothie:
1 to 1.5lbs of banana (4-8)
1-2 stalks of celery
100-200g of spinach
1-2tbsp of lemon juice
I serving of said protein powder
Dilute with water to desired consistency yields about 64oz

I will sometimes add a cup of blueberries. Banana for carbs and potassium, Celery for sodium, spinach for greens, iron, protein etc... Lemon for depth of flavor and to offset some of the oxalic acid in the spinach. Protein powder for amino acids. Water for hydration. This a great post workout drink, lots of electrolytes.

Throughout the week I usually eat about 2lbs (8-10) of banana with romaine lettuce. This is a staple for me. It's very filling and cheap. Organic bananas are .88c/lb here. If I don't have that I will eat whatever fruit is in season or that I have on hand. Right now we have some nice stone fruit coming from BC. I usually include some veggies for volume. Veggies are a good source of both soluble and insoluble fiber as well.

Dinners
I like sweet potato or regular potato. I'll eat it with a home made low sodium or store bought tomato sauce and salad. I really like potato and my homemade kimchi.

If I've done some resistance training I may have a large veggie stir fry over quinoa. This is generally the only time I eat cruciferous veggies. I only eat them steamed. It breaks down the goitrogens and opens the cell walls making the protein and nutrients more available.

I also like hard fruit like spaghetti & butternut squash.

On an active day I usual consume a minimum of 700g of carbohydrate. I'm 5'9" 150lbs. I eat around 3000-3500cal/day. On my non active days I may eat on the lower end of this. But low active days are good days to carb load for the next active day. I stand all day for my job. I'm not sure why people think carbs will make them fat. If you consume way too much calories then you will store some of them as fat. But it's hard to do that when your eating low calorie foods like fruit and veg. It's been scientifically proven (China Study) that on a low fat diet one can consume 20-30% excess calories and burn them as body heat. Higher fat and protein diets cause the body to store excess calories. Not high carb diets.

Cronometer is a great app and website to track and view your macro and micro nutrients. I highly suggest you try it. It will really put things in perspective.

The 80/10/10 book has everything you need to know to get started. From there you need to do more research to make sure you have your micronutrient needs covered.

I demand a lot from my body. I'm up at 6 and down at 9-10. I don't have the time or patience for poor digestion, low nutrient foods. My body is not a discount body. So I don't mind spending a little more on it. It pays me back with great health and energy. Haven't been sick in a long time. When I started eating higher carb I noticed my hair and nails growing faster. My gums filled in around my teeth. My wounds heal faster. It's the way to go for me for sure.

I do try to as much organic food as I can. You can save some money by following the Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen List (google). I get a discount when I buy larger quantity of fruit from my local market. I always ask the produce dept for "over ripe" fruit. Things like that.
#27 Old 08-15-2014, 01:48 PM

Vanilla Gorilla, I literally cannot thank you enough. So much amazing information, really appreciated.

I'm 5'11 and you are my target weight a although I was 152lbs when I was literally a pure muscle doing amateur gymnastics 10 years ago, I am now 177lbs so quite a fair way off but I've only been training for a month.

I will have a look at natural hemp and pea protein powders.. and using these in shakes.

You maybe right I may have to go vegan, although damn I'm going to miss milk despite it's negative affects on me.

Quote:
My typical fruit smoothie:
1 to 1.5lbs of banana (4-8)
1-2 stalks of celery
100-200g of spinach
1-2tbsp of lemon juice
I serving of said protein powder
Dilute with water to desired consistency yields about 64oz
Does this actually taste any good? I will try it.

Quote:
Throughout the week I usually eat about 2lbs (8-10) of banana with romaine lettuce. This is a staple for me. It's very filling and cheap.
You just eat the romaine lettuce raw? On its own?

Quote:
It's been scientifically proven (China Study) that on a low fat diet one can consume 20-30% excess calories and burn them as body heat. Higher fat and protein diets cause the body to store excess calories. Not high carb diets.
Yes I studied some physiology and remember the body will easily make a fat molecule if it has fatty acids and sugar. Take away the fat and it has to make those long fatty acid chains from sugars which uses a lot of energy. Makes perfect sense.

Quote:
I also like hard fruit like spaghetti & butternut squash.
Great idea!

Quote:
If I've done some resistance training I may have a large veggie stir fry over quinoa. This is generally the only time I eat cruciferous veggies. I only eat them steamed. It breaks down the goitrogens and opens the cell walls making the protein and nutrients more available.
Another great idea!

Quote:
Cronometer is a great app and website to track and view your macro and micro nutrients. I highly suggest you try it. It will really put things in perspective.

The 80/10/10 book has everything you need to know to get started. From there you need to do more research to make sure you have your micronutrient needs covered.
I will do thank you so much.

Quote:
I demand a lot from my body. I'm up at 6 and down at 9-10. I don't have the time or patience for poor digestion, low nutrient foods. My body is not a discount body. So I don't mind spending a little more on it. It pays me back with great health and energy. Haven't been sick in a long time. When I started eating higher carb I noticed my hair and nails growing faster. My gums filled in around my teeth. My wounds heal faster. It's the way to go for me for sure.
And quite right to, I think there is a reason I am only able to process carbohydrates, despite the fact I was so ill before, almost like a calling. I've been on this sort of 6am exercise routine before but it was a decade ago although I didn't think about diet. I completely agree and subscribe to everything you've written makes perfect sense.

Quote:
I do try to as much organic food as I can. You can save some money by following the Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen List (google). I get a discount when I buy larger quantity of fruit from my local market. I always ask the produce dept for "over ripe" fruit. Things like that.
I'm going to be living near Brixton market in London so will have quite an opportunity to buy bulk. Again really helpful thanks..
#28 Old 08-15-2014, 09:24 PM

Haha. I can't say my smoothie tastes bad. It may be an aquired taste to some. I guess it depends how much you love fruits and veggies. Sometimes the celery can be a bit much. Depends on the quality for sure.

Regarding my banan lunch I usually just peel the banana and wrap a lettuce leaf around it. Banana wrap! Tender greens have little flavor and some varieties have a hint of sweetness. It's soft and crunchy, sweet and savory all at the same time. Sometimes I will make a banan salad. So cut up the lettuce and top it with chopped banana. Then I'll make a chocolate or cinnamon dressing. Here's the recipe:

1-3 dates soaked
1/2-1 banana
1tbsp of Cacao or cinnamon powder
Add water to desired consistency

Blend it all up. Makes a good dip for the banana wraps too. You can sub cocoa or carob powder for the cacao. Your choice.

I try to stay raw through out the day. I find I feel a bit sleepy if I have a large cooked meal. I don't want that during the day. For me it's about comfort and energy.

Keep the questions coming. Good luck
#29 Old 08-17-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Regarding my banan lunch I usually just peel the banana and wrap a lettuce leaf around it. Banana wrap!
It sounds so wrong, it could be so right.

How are you with fibre by the way, or do you get more than enough in the fruit? It's an area I need help with due to my poor digestion.

Likewise how does spaghetti with a sauce and some olive oil sound for the dinners? Or is olive oil a bit too much in the fat department?

Book is on its way ordering it today..

Last edited by Verbatim; 08-17-2014 at 12:28 AM.
#30 Old 08-17-2014, 02:42 PM

There are a lot of good recipes on Savvy Vegetarian. I like to make quinoa pilaf and substitute cashews for the chickpeas. I make a double batch, then freeze it in lunch-sized containers.

Also, a sliced apple with 2-3 tablespoons of peanut butter is a quick meal with plenty of nutrients in my household.

Tags
80 10 10 , cheap , fast , meal planning , simple

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page