• 1 Post By Diesel
  • 1 Post By Diesel
  • 1 Post By [email protected]!
  • 1 Post By Joan Kennedy
  • 1 Post By jambo101
  • 2 Post By Diesel

#1 Old 08-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

New Vegetarian, having trouble finding foods that taste good.

Hey everybody. I'm not exactly sure where to post this, I'm new to the forums... But the problem I'm having after I've recently become vegetarian (Its been a few weeks): I cannot find anything that I like to eat... Besides Pesto Pasta. But thats it!

I'm not the best chef in the world (I'm pretty bad.) , and I every restaurant in my area is just meat, meat, and more meat. I never noticed how unbalanced the types of food they serve is. Some places have vegetarian options.... but they just taste bad most of the time (Take Chipotle tofu or whatever that new thing is.. It is HORRIBLE.) And I don't like salads too much either.

I went to a food court at a place i was working temp... USA Today HQ. They had pretty good looking food. I got the vegetarian options, Quinoa some kind of Tofu mix and some other stuff... I couldn't finish it, It tasted so bad to me. It seemed like "bland diet food". I was also very hungry.

How can I cook quick and easy vegetarian meals that don't feel like "diet food"? I also hate bland.

Thanks alot for reading.

Last edited by Diesel; 08-03-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2014, 01:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Just had another plate of pesto... I can't eat this stuff forever. Lol.
#3 Old 08-04-2014, 02:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you ever had hummus? It is a spread made from garbanzo beans and tahini and I have yet to meet anyone who hates it lol. It goes well in salads, in sandwiches, on crackers, even in pasta. Most deli sections of groceries carry it. I make my own but if you don't like to cook much you can still find it in stores.

Do you like hard shell tacos? Try filling them with refried beans (buy the fat free cans of refried beans as they do not have lard in them and are vegetarian), salsa, and the usual veggies that go in tacos. Maybe some taco seasoning. I like to use bulgur wheat and cook it like you would a hot cereal on the stove. Then I add taco seasoning and salsa to it. I add red lentils to my mixture and maybe some onion. Bulgur wheat has the texture of ground beef and absorbs taco seasoning and sauces very well. It cooks in ten minutes. My omnivore husband loves this mixture in his tacos in place of ground beef. I use a similar sauce with spaghetti. I cook the bulgur and add tomato sauce to it, some onion, fresh zucchini, tomatoes, red lentils and oregano and garlic and simmer it all in a large pot, then pour it over the spaghetti.

I like to make baked potatoes and then add this sauce on top:
http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/13/veg...-cheeze-sauce/

I have steamed broccoli with it. For a richer variation of that sauce, I use steamed sweet potato in place of the pumpkin, and sometimes even add tofu to the blended mixture.

Another favorite of mine is chickpea salad sandwiches, made in place of egg salad. I mash some chickpeas in a bowl, add some chopped onion and celery, then add a vegan mayonnaise and mix it all together. Then add to a sandwich. I make my own nut based homemade mayonnaise and my husband likes it better than store bought. here is a similar version to what I make (I use blanched almonds in place of cashews):
http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2013...an-mayonnaise/

And then there are a myrriad of vegetarian pancakes and vegan pancake recipes out there to try, such as banana, chocolate, buckwheat, lemon, plain, you name it. I have literally tried them all lol. I like to make buckwheat pancakes and top them with a simple blueberry compote in place of maple syrup. Or a raspberry compote over chocolate pancakes. I make tempeh bacon or roasted chickpeas and brussel sprouts on the side to round out the meal and make it a bit healthier. Google vegan pancakes for a ton of ideas.

Another one to google is "chickpea flour omelets" or "tofu omelet". Lots of variations of recipes there.

When I first went vegan (I went from omnivore to vegan so was not a vegetarian) I relied a LOT on the following site for recipes:
http://www.vegweb.com/recipes

I love the variety there, from raw to creative to substitutes for favorite omnivore dishes. If you are not into tofu or fake meats, there are tons of other types of recipes to try too. Also, check out your local library for vegetarian and vegan cookbooks. There are tons of them out there nowadays and even smaller libraries have quite a variety to look at. Might give you some ideas.

I sometimes wish I were more bored with food than I am lol. I have been vegan for a while and still have yet to tire of finding yet more creative ways to create awesome vegetarian/vegan dishes. When I first started, I would browse vegan blogs on the internet and find interesting recipes and print them off. I started a three ring binder notebook with them, including ones from Vegweb. Years later I have FIVE notebooks divided into main dishes, side dishes, breakfast and blender recipes, breads/muffins/crackers.., and desserts. I kid you not lol. AND I have about ten cookbooks and different health style related books...raw eating, whole foods, etc. I love crockpot recipes so I have a vegan cookbook with those too. My favorite is chili. Try a google for vegetarian chili and you will not be disappointed. steel cut oats in the crockpot overnight is so awesome to wake up to in the morning too.

Hope this helps!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-04-2014, 05:27 AM

People sometimes talk about cooking as if it is some inborn talent....but it isn't. It is a learned skill, and in my view a pretty basic life skill that any adult ought to have. Not everyone needs or wants to be a master chef, but knowing how to make a few basic meals to feed yourself is essential, especially if you don't eat the unhealthy crap found in the average restaurant. So start learning to cook! Pick something that sounds interesting and look for recipes and start experimenting. Learn how to make one practical thing really well--something like red beans and rice or a basic soup that can last a few meals--by making it a few times, learning from your mistakes and making it better every time.

ETA: As for where to find recipes, there are online databases and apps. I like allrecipes.com, bigoven, and I just found an app called sweet and spicy I am going to try. I also recommend starting with non veg recipes you like and figuring out ways to tweak them to make them veg friendly. For example I used to love Thai green curry with chicken, so after going veg I did a remake with no fish sauce, veg broth, and tofu. There are people on here who are probably old pros at veganizing recipes. I regularly take classes at Salud cooking school which is in my local Whole Foods. You might look into a class like that in your area.

Last edited by Docbanana; 08-04-2014 at 05:38 AM.
#5 Old 08-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

The American pallet has been totally demolished by the food industry. Everything is way too salty, and people are used to a combination of chemicles and fake food flavors. This probably goes for any one who is on the standard American diet. Veggies and grains and beans have very distinct flavors. People who are used to loud industrial chemical tastes see them as bland and flavorless.

The good news is that through cellular turn over, each person grows a whole new set of tastebuds every 10 to 14 days.

What you are describing is a very biochemicle process. Your dopamine receptors are not being triggered by the new foods because they see the old foods as safe and natural. Cheetos and steak are neither safe nor natural.

Just stick with it. Use a favorite salad dressing or condiment that your brain likes. Allow your newer more subtle vegetarian tastebuds to grow, and allow your neural biiochemistry to naturally transition.

Taste is just biochemistry. Whether you "like" it or not is very complicated. Some people enjoy eating pigs entrails or monkey brains. Do they really taste good. No, it is just what some people are used to.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gita; 08-04-2014 at 07:21 AM.
#6 Old 08-04-2014, 07:43 AM

Gita has an excellent point...if you are eating all restaurant food, your taste buds may need to be retrained. You mention it tasting like "diet food" and I don't know what that means to you. If healthy things like fresh veggies and fruit and whole grains and nuts and legumes that aren't slathered in salt, sugar and/or loads of animal fat are "diet food" then you might need to retrain your taste buds to detect normal, natural, healthy flavors and recognize them as good.

If diet food = processed fake stuff with artificial flavors and sweeteners and tons of bleached out high glycemic carbs and no healthy fats in sight...like fat free, taste free, nutrition free, "diet cookies" and that sort....then your taste buds are on the right track. You don't need to learn to like that "diet food"

Or maybe you just like a little spice in your food? Maybe a trip to an Indian, Ethiopian, or Mediterranean restaurant is in order. You can get veggie food there that is full of flavor and spice.
Tiger Lilly likes this.
#7 Old 08-04-2014, 08:42 AM
Beginner

You're probably used to eating foods loaded with unhealthy levels of fat, sugar, and salt. Especially liking pesto pasta- which usually is a mix of salt and sugary flavors in fat, which you get in each bite, that's what it sounds like to me.

I'd try to keep more processed foods out of your diet (avoid the coffeemate, avoid the sugar substitutes, avoid the fake meats, etc) while you adjust.

Learn how to cook vegetables well vs. overcooking them- this should help alot. A piece of broccoli perfectly steamed 1) is tasty and 2) can take on many other tasty flavors well. An overcooked piece of broccoli can be pretty dang deathly, IMO. Green beans and asparagus are also veggies that cook quickly that you can usually find in bags with prep work done already but are awful overcooked... unless, of course, they're covered in a fatty, salty sauce so thick you can't taste the vegetables- which is what you want to avoid doing now.

Quinoa salads are also my favorite for punches of flavor right now... this recipe has quite a tang from lemon, lime, and cumin, especially if it sits overnight:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/zesty-quinoa-salad/
Tiger Lilly likes this.
#8 Old 08-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

What GITA said......

Plus...have you thought about bringing food from home? You could cook some pasta, make a salad, whatever. A PBJ would save the day. Celery sticks & hummus is really yummy!!!!!

Think of ALL the possibilities. After becoming vegan, I actually started eating tabbouleh....and I actually made it into a wrap....and survived!!!

Day by day....meal by meal.....
Tiger Lilly likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#9 Old 08-04-2014, 03:17 PM

If restaurants and fast food is more accessible, we really enjoy the options at Which Wich, Subway, Mellow Mushroom, Freebirds and Chipotle. The new tofu option at Chipotle is not available for us where we live, but the other options can still be delicious. We always get the Veggie Burrito with lettuce, black beans, brown rice, pico, corn salsa, guacamole, and the fajita veggies!

If cooking is preferred, cooking big batches of beans and making hummus for the week is always helpful! They can be used in a variety of recipes! We like to make chili, mock Chipotle bowls, and burritos with the beans. The hummus makes a great snack or can make an awesome wrap with a variety of options that can include quinoa, avocados, beans, and lentils.

Also, since you mentioned bland, we think a variety of veggies always make a meal taste better! Also adding spices like chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, or oregano (to name a few) can really enhance the flavor of a dish!

Hope this can be of some help!

Meagan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 08-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

I think I get where you're coming from. Veg foods have long been linked to "diet" and "health" food, and while that's not a bad thing--it's far from the only way to be veg'n.

Veg'n foods can be any way you want them to be. If you're not so handy in the kitchen it would be a really good idea to acquire some basic skills, but probably more like basic good habits. Like making the food you buy while it's still fresh!

What kinds of food are you looking for? Spend time online just searching what you like with vegan (even if you're not, it's a good idea to learn how to avoid dairy and egg-you can always add)

Then there's amazon.com veg cookbooks- go for the "look inside" feature and you'll lots of info

I keep a balance of healthy and comfort style myself, and cook like I never did as an omni.

Here's a great food blog that's not so "diety" or crunchy:
http://tofu-n-sproutz.blogspot.com/

Please be aware it takes a good while to get familiar with being vegetarian. In many ways it's almost like the more you learn the more you realize how much there is to know.
I was vegetarian on and off a lot of my life, but vegan took me months to feel "normally vegan"
adventurousnutmeg likes this.
#11 Old 08-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a Trader Joes? They have delicious frozen foods that are less expensive than most.
Like this sprouted red rice curry. It may be sprouted rice but far from anything diety. It's decadent!
And their Japanese fried rice. Better than what I make

Let us know what stores and what foods you like! We love food talk...

Welcome
Purp likes this.
#12 Old 08-04-2014, 03:41 PM

One good place to find vegetarian/vegan recipes is at http://www.peta2.com/recipes/
They have a ton of recipes I've made some of them and all of them are different and taste really great. You can also have them text you recipes to ! Hope this helps you! ^.^
#13 Old 08-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Ankle Biter

Eating out as a vegetarian? It's easy! Bean burritos with guacamole and hot sauce, Quesadillas & Enchiladas (loaded with beans and veggies and skip the cheese for vegan), spaghetti marinara, veggie burgers, pizza with extra sauce and gobs of veggies (skip the cheese for vegan), Thai food, Indian food, Subway has veggie and vegan options, hummus wraps, veggie sushi (Sweet potato rolls!!!), Tropical Smoothie has veg*n options.etc..

Don't let yourself get hungry! Keep some Cliff bars, almonds, or a PB & J within reach so you won't feel too desperate. Then plan ahead. Good luck!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#14 Old 08-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for all the great posts guys. Some of you might have gotten the wrong impression about me.. Before I became veg, I didn't really eat that much unhealthy, fat filled, chemical added, GMO crap.

We usually buy food from organic stores and try to pay a bit more to get non-GMO, non-preservative, non-cancer causing food.

Who knows, maybe I just had a bad experience at that cafe, the food might of just been really bad. It tasted like grass and nothing.

The people that mentioned Indian food know exactly what I'm talking about. I love Indian food (don't know how to make it yet though.), I love it because everything has massive amounts of flavor. Even the vegetarian stuff is amazing. They prove that you don't need meat to make something taste good. That is what I was basically looking for.

But thanks for all the posts guys, I will look through all the suggestions. Wish me luck!
Purp likes this.
#15 Old 08-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Most of the time your'e probably going to have to prepare your own food. There just aren't many restaurants that can be trusted to understand/know what is/serve actual vegetarian foods; especially the big chain restaurants. You will also have to become a compulsive label reader to make sure that the items you buy at the market don't contain any animal based ingredients.

Fortunately there are now a lot of vegetarian products available at the more progressive stores that were not around when I became a veg*n. Next time you go shopping for food check out the frozen and canned goods for some Amy's products they make a lot of vegan and vegetarian frozen and canned stuff. Plus there are Kashi and Organic Valley brand cereals and snacks to name a few. And I believe that Chex, Grape Nuts and some Ritz crackers are also vegetarian. New things are coming out all the time. I just found a vegan mac-n-cheese mix at Whole Foods.
#16 Old 08-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Beginner

Really punchy vegetarian flavors...

I think I mentioned the lemon/lime/cumin combo. Add cilantro for even more taste.
Cilantro lime vinaigrette
Whole Foods brand has this green roasted veggie salsa. Medium heat but lots of flavor. It lasts about 2-3 days in our house... and I'm the only one who eats it
Rosemary packs a punch
Radishes- quite tangy, raw or roasted
Sauerkraut (with apples, with field roast sausages, apples and onions, in dumplings, on sandwiches)
Tangy hummus - blend your own with jalapeno
Roast peppers
Mint & red onion (add to salads, green or quinoa)
Rhubarb

I've found tofu dishes to regularly be awful at restaurants. Quinoa salads I adore. Addicted to the Zesty Quinoa Salad and Mint Cucumber Quinoa Salad this summer.
Any chance you have a Pain Quotedein near you? They have lots of vegan options that are very tasty (quinoa cake is awesome there).
#17 Old 08-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cienerose View Post
Most of the time your'e probably going to have to prepare your own food. There just aren't many restaurants that can be trusted to understand/know what is/serve actual vegetarian foods; especially the big chain restaurants. You will also have to become a compulsive label reader to make sure that the items you buy at the market don't contain any animal based ingredients.

Fortunately there are now a lot of vegetarian products available at the more progressive stores that were not around when I became a veg*n. Next time you go shopping for food check out the frozen and canned goods for some Amy's products they make a lot of vegan and vegetarian frozen and canned stuff. Plus there are Kashi and Organic Valley brand cereals and snacks to name a few. And I believe that Chex, Grape Nuts and some Ritz crackers are also vegetarian. New things are coming out all the time. I just found a vegan mac-n-cheese mix at Whole Foods.
Yeah I was shocked to learn that Parmesan cheese and many other cheese are made by killing baby cows. It was just disgusting.
I've found a vegetarian brand of Parmesan, but I have to go to my store to see if its there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anole View Post
Really punchy vegetarian flavors...

I think I mentioned the lemon/lime/cumin combo. Add cilantro for even more taste.
Cilantro lime vinaigrette
Whole Foods brand has this green roasted veggie salsa. Medium heat but lots of flavor. It lasts about 2-3 days in our house... and I'm the only one who eats it
Rosemary packs a punch
Radishes- quite tangy, raw or roasted
Sauerkraut (with apples, with field roast sausages, apples and onions, in dumplings, on sandwiches)
Tangy hummus - blend your own with jalapeno
Roast peppers
Mint & red onion (add to salads, green or quinoa)
Rhubarb

I've found tofu dishes to regularly be awful at restaurants. Quinoa salads I adore. Addicted to the Zesty Quinoa Salad and Mint Cucumber Quinoa Salad this summer.
Any chance you have a Pain Quotedein near you? They have lots of vegan options that are very tasty (quinoa cake is awesome there).
Yeah that was probably it, the ToFu just tasted horrible.

I'm about to go pick some hummus up right now, I'll add the other stuff in also.. Leme see if I can find field roast sausages too.

Thanks.
Tiger Lilly likes this.
#18 Old 08-11-2014, 08:53 PM

You could bring a favorite spice blend or dressing with you to work, food courts and restaurants. I tend to cook food on the bland side because that is how I prefer it, and my husband has a favorite smoked habenero blend that he will put on anything that seems too bland for him and it fixes it right up. If you like Indian flavors you could bring a little shaker of curry powder and that might do the trick for you!
#19 Old 08-12-2014, 12:16 AM

Good point people bring up about restaurant vegetarian (or worse, vegan) options at most places. A lot of times the one choice is a salad, and that's it.

Question: do you like Indian food? That's the one "genre" of restaurant food that has dependably good vegetarian choices! (btw, someone might have already mentioned this - apologies, if so!)

I think the reason they do it so well is that apparently, some regions of India (southern, I think?) have vegetarian diets.

My sister married an Indian man, and during the three days of celebration before the wedding ceremony, everyone ONLY ate vegetarian Indian food!

Also, one of the aspects that Indian food uses that can apply to foods in general is that they use a lot of seasonings (not NECESSARILY spicy) and a lot of different ingredients.
Good vegetarian food takes longer to make, but it's worth it!
And even though you have to shop at special places sometimes, I think it's also worth it.

By the way, I am someone who formally ONLY liked "American" food when I would go out to eat! But then, I was introduced to samosas, and hey, anything that's deep-fried.

I find the eggplant dishes at Indian restaurants are usually quite good -- I like to eat them with either naan or rice.

If you don't like spicy, tikki masala (I think!) isn't spicy -- and of course, you can ask about that.

One of my favorite recipes is vegan BBQ "beef" -- even though the main ingredient will involve a trip to an Indian grocery store -- or shopping online -- it's basically an American-style pulled pork sandwich, without the pork.

What you need is a couple of cans of jackfruit. There are two kinds: one that is canned in brine, and a sweet kind that is packed in syrup.

Here's a recipe:

http://chowvegan.com/2008/05/28/bbq-...ruit-sandwich/

As you can see, the jackfruit even resembles pulled pork! I have made these sandwiches for Super Bowl Sunday and my meat-eating friends adored them.

For my own recipe, I simply sautee a chopped onion in oil until it is carmelized. Then, I add barbecue sauce, and then the jackfruit. Then I just cook it all on a very low temperature, on the stove for a few hours.

You can also make coleslaw (using vegan mayonnaise - Whole Foods has a good kind called "Just Mayo") and serve it right on top of the "pulled pork." I find this is especially good with a whole wheat bun.

Enjoy! I think you'll actually have fun finding all of these new foods!

One last thing: I find it easier to eat in, as a vegetarian. After a while, I get sick of the pasta with marinara sauce, iceberg lettuce salads and even (eventually) all that Indian food.

At home, it's cheaper, and the possibilities are endless!

Also, good for you for becoming vegetarian. Yay! <3
Diesel likes this.
#20 Old 08-12-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Do you have a Trader Joes? They have delicious frozen foods that are less expensive than most.
Like this sprouted red rice curry. It may be sprouted rice but far from anything diety. It's decadent!
And their Japanese fried rice. Better than what I make

Let us know what stores and what foods you like! We love food talk...

Welcome
Talking of Trader Joe's, they have these really good non-meat sausages... I was amazed at how good they were, because I've really, really not liked vegetarian tofu-type dogs very much.

I think the sausages are Italian-style, and I don't know that they're made of tofu anyway. It's Trader Joe's brand, and there are four to a pack. You just sautee them in a pan, though you can also grill them. I like them with the whole wheat Trader Joe's hot dog buns.

I whole-heartedly agree with silva in recommending TJ's frozen veggie meals. they carry, too! One I like has quinoa and sweet potato, which didn't sound too good to me, but it was. There was another that I liked, which was risotto and... some other stuff. Provolone cheese, I think.

In non-Trader Joe's suggestions...

I also like using Boca Crumbles -- they are good in tacos and in chili as a substitute for ground beef.

Amy's has a nice line of frozen foods that are all vegetarian. I like the lasagna, especially.
#21 Old 08-12-2014, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Anything you cook with olive oil -- like if you're cooking vegetarian sausages stovetop -- try putting some vinegar into the frying pan too. When I use olive oil, vinegar and white wine in a saute, it's hard to screw up. It also cuts down on the need to add salt.
LedBoots likes this.
#22 Old 08-13-2014, 12:32 PM

I think after a while, you will acquire a taste for lots of vegetarian food. For me I use to hate spinach. Now i cant seem to eat a salad thats simply lettuce. Also initially I use to like cooked carrots, brocolli etc, and now I prefer it raw. So there is some getting use to it, and once you develope the taste for it, you w will find yourself thinking the mean is incomplete if you dont have it.
#23 Old 08-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Joes frozen Sag Tung Green Curry with Red Gaba Rice. Amazing, as in, better than restaurant quality. Vegan.
Get lots so they don't discontinue it like so many vegan things I loved there...

There Soy Chorizio is back and it's vegan again! So much like taco filling, spread a taco shell with refried beans, top with a spoon of chorizo, lettuce and tomato. Also perfect to use a little for seasoning Spanish/Mexican rice. Or chili. Taco salad. Mexican Pizza...

I've been there recently!
#24 Old 08-14-2014, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

YouTube will have basic cooking videos on there, I'm sure. Just ignore the first two, they're ads. :/ I hope this helps. Good luck.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#25 Old 08-16-2014, 09:47 AM

Google is a handy tool to find creative ideas for vegetarian meals.
Heres one such =
http://www.heartandstroke.com/site/c...Fa_m7AodWzYAWQ
Purp likes this.
#26 Old 08-17-2014, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, thanks alot for the replies guys. I really appreciate all the help and advice.

Live long and prosper.
Purp and Tiger Lilly like this.
#27 Old 08-22-2014, 03:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Hey everybody. I'm not exactly sure where to post this, I'm new to the forums... But the problem I'm having after I've recently become vegetarian (Its been a few weeks): I cannot find anything that I like to eat... Besides Pesto Pasta. But thats it!

I'm not the best chef in the world (I'm pretty bad.) , and I every restaurant in my area is just meat, meat, and more meat. I never noticed how unbalanced the types of food they serve is. Some places have vegetarian options.... but they just taste bad most of the time (Take Chipotle tofu or whatever that new thing is.. It is HORRIBLE.) And I don't like salads too much either.

I went to a food court at a place i was working temp... USA Today HQ. They had pretty good looking food. I got the vegetarian options, Quinoa some kind of Tofu mix and some other stuff... I couldn't finish it, It tasted so bad to me. It seemed like "bland diet food". I was also very hungry.

How can I cook quick and easy vegetarian meals that don't feel like "diet food"? I also hate bland.

Thanks alot for reading.
don't you like cheese? vegetarian was so easy for me.i ate a lot cheese. pasta. things like t hat. lol,i still kinda miss cheese. One thing that helped me that i realized that i told another friend who is trying to transition to vegetarian is that there is so much more to life then food and also a lighter diet enhances things. Things that are heavy actually dull our senses. I've learned i feel much better eating lighter. when i have cheeseless pizza,even that is so heavy that it's just whoa to me.
#28 Old 08-22-2014, 03:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post
The American pallet has been totally demolished by the food industry. Everything is way too salty, and people are used to a combination of chemicles and fake food flavors. This probably goes for any one who is on the standard American diet. Veggies and grains and beans have very distinct flavors. People who are used to loud industrial chemical tastes see them as bland and flavorless.

The good news is that through cellular turn over, each person grows a whole new set of tastebuds every 10 to 14 days.

What you are describing is a very biochemicle process. Your dopamine receptors are not being triggered by the new foods because they see the old foods as safe and natural. Cheetos and steak are neither safe nor natural.

Just stick with it. Use a favorite salad dressing or condiment that your brain likes. Allow your newer more subtle vegetarian tastebuds to grow, and allow your neural biiochemistry to naturally transition.

Taste is just biochemistry. Whether you "like" it or not is very complicated. Some people enjoy eating pigs entrails or monkey brains. Do they really taste good. No, it is just what some people are used to.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
This is true and also google steve pavlina vegan. Not because you are a vegan but because it talks about how it takes 30 days to break a habit so if you just stick with it for 30 days,it will then be easy for you.
#29 Old 11-03-2014, 06:31 PM

Congratulations on your lifestyle choice and the willpower you are showing. Best thing I can tell is experiment, experiment, experiment. Your mind is not used to the flavors that a vegetarian or vegan will experience. Used to the meats and foods that you grew up with and conditioned to like. Really does take time to determine the vegan taste you will enjoy. This is a great message board to get recipes as well as ideas to discover the tastes that make your mouthwater. Be creative and open and I am sure you will find the dishes that you will be craving for years. Good luck...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page