Thoughts... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Gita

#1 Old 07-26-2014, 12:36 AM

Thoughts...

Ahimsa milk? I can stumbled across it... no slaughter milk... thoughts?

The bulls being put to work sounds horrible for them... but surely better than death as a calf for veal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-26-2014, 02:15 AM
Veggie Regular

We have used bovine before now, to do work in fields. As long as they're being treated well, it might not necessarily be 'bad' for them. I don't know how the bulls feel about the whole deal now, but I'm sure someone could actually monitor whether they enjoy the work or not.

They mention 'debudding' (chopping off the cow horns) but they don't mention whether they will dock the tails of the cows. I know that happens in America, I'm not sure about other places around the world though. The reason behind the tail docking (chopping off the tail) is because it annoys the workers..... I would assume they just wouldn't chop off the tails.

I guess, as a concept it's something I can very much see merit in. I wish they wouldn't talk about these animals as though their existence should be based on economic relevance. I suppose they're trying to show this to be economically viable as a model and maybe to the general public, it's worded in the right way. But for me, I'm a little squeamish about them talking in those terms.
#3 Old 07-26-2014, 03:08 AM
Banned

I follow Ahimsa milk on Facebook. Might seem an odd thing for a vegan to do but I feel that if people are going to drink milk then this is probably the most ethical way of doing it.

The bulls have only recently started working, previously they just lounged around in a field If they are treated well I doubt they would be distressed by pulling a plough or something similar. All the cows and bulls have names. The cows have a 'rest' period from milking as they calve every two years and are retired by the age of 13. Most dairy cows are sent to slaughter between the ages of 5-7.

However ..... they still use artificial insemination, they still use mechanical milking machines and they remove calves at the age of 4 or 5 days old. Ahimsa is just a less cruel way to obtain milk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-26-2014, 03:25 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. I think its a step up from how dairy is produced. I drink almond milk however ive had huge arguments with my bf over milk and he wont budge on it. So maybe ahimsa milk is a way of at least meeting half way on our views. :s personally I love almond milk <3
#5 Old 07-26-2014, 03:37 AM

I read on their website they want to move towards keeping the calf with mum for 6 months and hand milk I love companies who at least try to address issues. The only things keeping me from being totally vegan is cheese and eggs. My eggs are already sourced from my friends pet chickens and I would love to try Ahimsa cheese. I cant call myself vegan.. but I try to be an ethical vegetarian as much as I can. Not perfect I know. But its got to be better than factory eggs etc.
#6 Old 07-26-2014, 06:56 PM

I honestly just prefer almond milk because my girlfriend and I can't drink regular milk even though strangely I can handle cheese. I'm thankful that a company is at least trying to make an effort.

That's really cool that you have a friend who give eggs to you. I very rarely eat eggs but would much rather go support happy chickens if I did.

I'm vegetarian for many reasons and hey, nobody is perfect! your doing the best you can and as long as you feel it's the right choices for you then that's what counts!
#7 Old 07-26-2014, 11:45 PM

Me too almond milk rocks!! But for cheese this company is a perfect idea.. for those who cant part with it just yet like me.. also my bf will not touch almond milk.. and I feel awful spending money on normal milk at least this milk is slaughter free.

Why not see if there is a chicken rescue or sanctuary near by? A lot of the time they will let you sponser a hen and you can collect free eggs keeps a chicken fed an watered contributes to a charity and eggs! Everyone wins. one day I would love to adopt a few ex factory hens, so they can live out their days in my garden having a wonderful life of being cared for, until then I have ny friends pet chickens and sure as hell rather pay her for eggs than buy supermarket factory eggs! p.s so cool your gf is loving almond milk! I have a feeling she will be veg soon
#8 Old 07-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Almond milk. The best!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
LedBoots and spacegirl like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page