Problematic Parents - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-10-2004, 07:02 PM

I have been a vegetarian for 8 years and I'm 14 but my parents are not vegetarians but the supported my decision to stop eating meat thinking it was only a phase. Almost 2 years ago I stopped drinking milk because I found it disgusting that I was drinking out of another animals utter and also because it is such a health risk. About a year ago I stopped eaching cheese because I found out that it wasn't even vegetarian with that darn rennet, that was really hard to give up because I loved cheese but now I hate it with a passion for contributing silently and unknowingly to the world of animal cruelty. Well my parents didn't like that one bit but I still ate eggs and that was what kept them supporting me. Just recently, maybe about a month or two ago I started researching vegan diets and found out about the hell that laying hens and milking cows go through so I told my parents that I wanted to stop eating eggs and go vegan, they didn't agree with this and told me it was unhealthy but I provided many examples to support my diet but still they say I won't get enough protein or calcium but I will. I need help to convince my parents to let me go completely vegan, and ideas?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-12-2004, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

*bump*

Such a common problem. Help them out, peeps.
#3 Old 05-12-2004, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd suggest ordering a free vegetarian starter guide. Then you would have something tangible in your hands that you could show to your parents when they express concerns.

Check out www.whyvegan.com and request the free Vegan Starter Pack, which includes the Why Vegan booklet and the Starter Guide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-12-2004, 08:21 AM

It seems to me that your parents will come round. They've been really decent about it up 'til now and I suppose it's normal enough that they worry now seeing as you're still quite young. But you've already shown them that you can eliminate certain items from your diet sensibly and maturely. Draw their attention to this, explain where you will get your protein, calcium, B12 etc from and give them a little time to get their heads around to the change.
#5 Old 05-12-2004, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

their concerns are legitimate, you really have to put a lot of work into meeting your requirements, too many people go back because they end up getting sick from poor nutrition..make sure you do plenty of research and keep yourself healthy, thats the best way to make them feel better about it
#6 Old 05-12-2004, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I just read a book called Becoming Vegan that clearly lays out a lot of concerns about veganism and explains how much of each nutrient a person needs in a day and where to get them. It takes special effort to point out those things that are often missing in a vegan diet and where they can be found in food, or lists vegan supplement companies. It has a few sample menus too.

It also has special sections for young vegans, pregnant vegans, vegans wanting to lose weight and athletic vegans.

Obviously the book was promoting a vegan diet, but I found the information to be pretty balanced - they didn't cover up where many vegan diets can be lacking, they took care to point those areas out and provide solutions. Perhaps you could get a copy of this book, read it, and ask your parents to take a look too?

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...70671036&itm=1
#7 Old 05-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm 15, and my parents were like that too. They were uninformed, so I informed them. Order a vegetarian starter kit, because I ordered one, and it has so much info on becoming a vegan. And also, you can go to the teen boards to see what other vegan teens did to convince their parents.
#8 Old 05-12-2004, 04:41 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean with the whole not enough calcium, iron, or protein. Almonds have more calcium than dairy, spinach has much more iron than meat, and tofu mixed with whole grains has more protein than meat as well. Soy milk also has more protein per glass (4 extra grams) than cow milk, so be sure to tell them that too.

Hope this helps.
#9 Old 05-12-2004, 05:41 PM

How about bringing home Robbins' "Diet for the new America"?

You might even end up with vegan parents.
#10 Old 05-12-2004, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Robin's book is a little dry and has a lot of misinformation in it. It's probably too long for someone that's new to veganism to consider reading. A short booklet they'd hopefully be more inclined to read, and it would have enough info to answer their questions. If they spark interest in veganism, then a longer book would be good. :?
#11 Old 05-13-2004, 05:27 AM
Veggie Regular

How about Fast Food Nation? It's not even veg*n biased. It is also long, though.
#12 Old 05-13-2004, 05:42 AM
Veggie Regular

i thought fast food nation was better researched and far more entertaining to read than DfaNA. anyway. . .

you may start by finding alternative eggs (ie, biodynamic, organic, free range, or if possible, have a few pet chickens where you can control their conditions yourself). this may be a good compromise for your parents until you're 18 or so and you can move on--assuming they don't budge with any of the other information.

Also, remember that you're still growing, so your diet is going to be different than an adult vegan diet. I think PCRM has some information on it (though they're a bit of a sketchy org). anyway, good luck.
#13 Old 05-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

The information sheets on the vegan society's website may prove useful:

www.vegansociety.com
#14 Old 05-13-2004, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't really have any suggestions other than to try cooking them dinner. My parents were really hesitant about veganism, but when I started cooking for them a few times a week, they had no complaints! They could care less if it was vegan or not, just as long as they didn't have to make it.
#15 Old 05-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

If I raised my own chickens with some TLC, then I would totally eat the eggs. Not them, just the eggs. But there is no way my parents would let me keep a chicken.
#16 Old 05-13-2004, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd also recommend www.vegetarianteen.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page